• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

What kind of construction materials are there?

Kai

Retired Staff
DocTomoe
Post subject: What kind of construction materials are there?
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:51 pm

I am currently developing a bit of military technology and the problem of "What material should I use for the armor?" came up... the obvious ones to come to mind were anything between Durandium and Yamataium, but I became curious as to what other armor types there were including and excluding those on the outdated Damage Rating list.​
So, the question is... what construction materials exist in the SARP setting, what are their damage ratings, are they scientifically sound, are they welcome in the setting, and how common are they?​

Doshii Jun
Post subject: Re: What kind of construction materials are there?
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 pm

A better question might be, "What do the Lorath have access to in order to flesh out the Winter with proper armor?"​
Durandium is the most ubiquitous. It's DR 5. You can dilute Yamataium with other metals to create alloys ... but getting Yamataium now might prove difficult, unless Lor still is with the 5th XF somehow. Yamataium is DR 9, but is heavy and expensive; the Daisy cuts it with Durandium to DR 8.​
Otherwise, other ceramics and metals are on the table, and depending on how they worked, they'd get varying DR. You might have to wander through Nepleslian ships to get a better feel for what metals they use.​

SUBLIMEinal
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Doshii Jun wrote:
Durandium is the most ubiquitous. It's DR 5. You can dilute Yamataium with other metals to create alloys ... but getting Yamataium now might prove difficult, unless Lor still is with the 5th XF somehow. Yamataium is DR 9, but is heavy and expensive; the Daisy cuts it with Durandium to DR 8.​

According to the ship materials rating guide, the DR of pure Yamataium is actually only 8. Reinforced Yamataium (I've it's reinforced with Zesuaium) is DR 9, however, which is what the Sakura and many other SAoY ships have.​

Miss Strangelove
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Well, I have a heavy bias towards "real" or at least "very scientifically plausible" materials and concepts, so I shy away from mystery meta-materials like duranidum, yamataium, zesuanium, neuanium, and whatnot. Also keep in mind not all of these are materials per se, but rather defensive concepts I have or plan on using with Freespacer designs...​
Tungsten Alloys (DR 4) - Tungsten is a very tough natural element that is not only physically tough, but can withstand gratuitous amounts of heat. Simple but solid as a rock.​
Buckypaper (DR 5) - I stick this on anything the Freespacers make. Due to its high conductivity these make very ultra-light, but still quite effective Faraday cages to protect against EMP and energy weapons. In addition, buckypaper's constituents can have a very high tensile strength, making it a very light projectile-proof armor.​
Energized Armors (DR 5-7) - Not really an armor in itself, but can be used in conjunction with either of the above to boost resistances to certain weapons.​
Monocrystal Alloy Plating (DR 6-8) - A material is as weak as its defects, so by engineering on a precision scale you can turn normally weak armors into very tough materials. Of course, repairs can be agonizingly slow if these aren't applied in removable plate form due to the high precision of their make.​
Structol (DR 7) - A material of Osakan's own design that he sent over a growing culture of to the 'Spacers, so now I get to play with it. Yay.​
Starlight Defense (Shield, DR 4-8) - This is a two-part system, combining a prism-like variable shield and photovoltaic cells. By scattering and refracting energy attacks before the shields let them through, photovoltaic (solar) cells can absorb energy from normally overwhelming attacks. Any energy that exceeds a certain threshold will automatically be blocked or shunted like most "common" shields in SARP commonly do. The bonus with this system is that, since energy from each attack is at least partially absorbed, you will put less strain on the shield equipment (in addition to persistently adding energy to your power supply), therefore can run an overall stronger defense.​
Integrated Power Grid (Shield only, DR 5-9, multi-layer shields?) - A recent concept of mine that you may have seen. The idea is turning the hull into a giant integrated circuit. The sheer complexity of the power grid you could install on something the size of a ship's hull, along with surface-based equipment modules (turrets, shield generators, sensors) would result in an overwhelmingly redundant machine. Any given device could have two, five, ten alternate power lines should any systems begin to overheat. Or, should a system be damaged, you can easily divert all the excess power to another system without overloading the power grid (multiple, smaller-power parallel lines). This same extensive power grid also means you can install many spare shield emitters since, without proper hull armoring, you have nothing to lose by exposing more equipment on the hull. The end result would be a vessel with a very strong (or multi-layered) shield and little armor value.​

Doshii Jun
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:36 pm

SUBLIMEinal wrote:
According to the ship materials rating guide, the DR of pure Yamataium is actually only 8. Reinforced Yamataium (I've it's reinforced with Zesuaium) is DR 9, however, which is what the Sakura and many other SAoY ships have.​
Oh shit. Thank you for the catch there, Sub.​

Wes
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 am
O9 Taisho (Site Admin)

Zakalwe
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 am

So what's the DR of Yarvex? Noted that it's restricted to Yamatai.​

CB
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:11 am

I don't think it has one really - not being an armor material per se. Yarvex is more an advanced anti-spall lining than a form of protection along the lines of Durandium and other forms of plating.​

Last edited by a moderator:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back