• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What's the best Water-Carrying Starship?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
What's the best ship in the setting for transporting large amounts of water? As far as I know, there's not a dedicated liquid transport ship with the necessary pumps and such.

Is anyone interested in making one for me?

Edit: Looking for one the YSE can use/buy.

Re: Water-Carrying Starship

You could just use a regular cargo transport retrofitted for water transportation. Via adding tanks and utilizing a 'liquid-version' of the standard crate things.

Re: Water-Carrying Starship

Thrust and inertia don't affect CFS equipped ships, so technically you could get something half decent by converting the holds of current freighters and installing some pumps to move it between the ship and port.

Also, considering the technology available, Yamatai could probably just convert the water in another form and reconstitute it back at the destination.

What do you call lots of water, the Sessou-Class 1b model, comes with a fluid tank that hold 15+ million liters without modifying the holds.

Now I'm imagining entire ships that are full of water where the personnel are swimming around wearing low-end power armour with an efficient oxygen scrubbing device and mobility aids for moving about in it all.

The main concern would be making sure everything is really well sealed. Duct tape, or lots of pressure seals, redundant and main would come up.

Also, entire ships/shuttles swimming in beer might not be unheard of in Nepleslian frat parties.

Nashoba said:
What do you call lots of water, the Sessou-Class 1b model, comes with a fluid tank that hold 15+ million liters without modifying the holds.
I looked at it and the stats seem to have a mistake:
The Sessou-1b model is equipped with a large storage tank (LST) on the top of the ship. The LST is insulated and temperature controlled. The LST has a total capacity of 15,707,96 liters.
Also the totals for SSCCs are missing.

The main concern would be making sure everything is really well sealed. Duct tape, or lots of pressure seals, redundant and main would come up.
You want the water in a dedicated tank, not seeping into the ship from between the panels of your cargo bay.

I bet that the Azoreans could come up with a fairly useful ship as you are asking for. For say the price of decent FTL technology.
Do they want to join the YSE?

- - -

I think it's clear from this thread that bulk cargo ships, particularly those for liquids, don't yet exist in the setting. And we don't have any real ice mining (or regular mining) ships either.

If YSE wanted a water tanker, it would be a simple matter for GS to modify one of their freighters, like the Taishita to be fitted with tanks, I would just need know what specifications the Star Army is looking for.

the capacity was missing a 0 at the end, tended to. I can add the capacity overall,

I can also easily make a tanker about the size of the taishita which would probably have the capacity to carry billions of liters if you like

A billion-liter tanker would be an asset for both the civilian market and the military logistics field if Geshrinari made such as class. Do you think the water would be stored in liquid form or as solid ice?

Storing it as ice means having to worry about expansion and contraction. Easier to store it as a liquid and keep the tanks insulated.

Also easier and faster to load and unload liquid,

prototype doga I'm working currently has 5 tanks that each hold 502,857,000 liters giving it a capacity of 2.5 billion liters.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back