• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

When would the various FTL drive technologies be used?

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
I've been trying to determine under what conditions would a ship use the Continuum Distortion drive versus the Hyperspace fold.

Hyperspace Fold
Seems to be a fast way of getting somewhere, but its line of sight only and straight line. To my way of thinking, this would only be used for travelling through known safe areas, making a sneak attack into attack in a system, or emergency escapes from a battle zone.

The CDD seems to me to be the better system to use for traveling through unknown space, eg exploring a region of space, or approaching a star system and you want to be able to scan for enemy ships etc as you approach.

So am I off base or what?

Thanks.

Hyperspace fold is generally used to travel between two star systems, while CDD Is generally used to travel within a star system, though both can be used for either. At least that's what i've heard. I could be wrong.

True. Fold is intra-stellar while Distorsion speed is meant more as an intra-planetary meant of transit, though quite capable of being intra-stellar if you don't mind the wait too much (fold is more often than not a technology available to the military and a very costly set of hardware of the civilian sector - there are some freighters out there whom are very happy to have their 5000c distorsion drive units).

So, what was said in the opening post is mostly accurate, yes.

I remember a suggestion made way back that suggested we actually make planet-to-planet travel inside of a system STL only, while free space outside of systems is FTL or STL. I think the reasoning was because of the abundance of potential hazards to FTL travel; gravity wells, pockets of atmosphere or some other stuff like that.

I kind of liked that system, since it was practiced almost word-for-word in the computer game Sins of a Solar Empire, and seemed to work very well. However, I don't think it was ever elaborated upon...but I still believe it would really help keep things interesting instead of everyone moving at light speed.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back