• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Worldbuilding Prompt Where Does The SARPiverse Get Eggs and Milk?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I was thinking about what our characters have available to eat and cook and I thought about two of the most common grocery items:
  1. Eggs
  2. Milk
I was wondering if you guys had ideas of where the milk and eggs come from in a far future scifi settings like SARP. Like, I know there's chickens and theoretically cows around in Star Army since beef is shown in the RP, but there's got to be more exotic and scifi sources of these food as well. Let me know what your cool ideas are. I'm hoping to put the good ones into our articles for milk and eggs.

Some starter ideas:
  • Synthetic sources?
  • Bio-engineered?
  • SARP-specific species that produce eggs/and or milk?

Well, the technology here doesn't make it hard. But that's the fun bit.

Various avians, most notably chickens, lay eggs whether fertilized or not at semi-regular intervals. Not hard to take a local avianoid and swap a few genes around.

Moreover, large ungulates can easily be selectively bred or genetically modified to a bovinoid, and what they call beef may simply be an artifact, such as the term broadcasting coming from early agriculture and cast seeding.

I looked at this issue lightly when I made the Dai Oni. Not finding much in the way of resource hubs except in some places like JIII in yamatai I made Ushobrakflug a major exporter of foodstuffs.

Grains, spices, animals, etc.

They grow not only planetside but also have Inari Station which is a massive orbital garden that grows enough to support several neighboring systems and includes livestock. The how is I would assume bulk transport like any other infrastructure network; Massive or small freighters the same way we have Semi-Trucks except they can obviously carry more. If you think of it that way there are likely millions if not tens of millions of such ships travelling the core of the sector at any one time.

It is at least one of yamatais canon Breadbasket Worlds that provides signifigantly more than it consumes.
Edit*: Likewise im sure a faction like yamatai that chan grow catgirls and create species with little trouble can also have some kind of fabricator that can print foodstuffs using protiens and carbon sequences.

You print a bunch of eggs in a factory, put them in the store, lie that they are farm-fresh, grass fed, and not fed ground up leftover neko biomass from the last war and its kind of like Hotdogs or the McRib where knowing whats in it or how its made might ruin your appetite about it.

I like the idea of a mogwai/gremlin type creature, that spawns eggs whenever you get it wet, so some ethically-dubious but enterprising individual keeps a bunch of them strapped up, slowly dripping water on them so they constantly pop eggs out. When they start to die, let an egg grow to maturity and replace the dying creature.

Anisa is an agricultural world (not necessarily livestock but probably some). Tami has livestock ranches. Fine Yamataian beef has been mentioned in roleplay, so someplace on Yamatai definitely produces wagyu-like marbled beef. And thus those places produce milk because cows (or generally livestock) make milk. Those planets probably also produce eggs in some quantity.

But this little handful of worlds cannot make enough for the billions of cloned soldiers and citizens. Industrial farming on a planetary scale to make enough for all of Yamatai would have to be even more grimdark than it is in real life.

Instead, I’d imagine that perfectly good milk, eggs, and meat is cloned on a mass scale to meet societal needs. And it’s generally identical in taste to the real thing (because the “omg it’s better than replicators!” thing is such a boring and lame trope). So I tend to think of real animal food products as a super luxury for those who seek it out and can afford it. Which I, as person who enjoys meat greatly and would never give it up but really dislike the process through which humans consume meat, think is completely fine and the most desirable outcome.

On a totally weird note, just last night I was having a (humorous) discussion about the use of Neko milk in Yamataian cooking (misread a recipe page as having “quarter cup breastmilk” and had a laugh). Because there’s that whole thing about how Neko can just produce it on command. It should never be wikified because it’s “ugh no bro” but there is absolutely no way that this abundant milk hasn’t become a regular ingredient for many Neko chefs. You can find real life news articles about speciality ice cream shops selling limited run ice cream that use this stuff from “donations,” so it would probably become completely normal in Yamataian cooking due to every Neko having it on tap for free. Even if it’s spectacularly cringy.

But yeah it would be more like the 3d printing adjacent ways we speculate doing lab grown animal products from cloned cells, since we don’t strictly have food replicators, only a note the nodal systems and nodal fabricators shouldn’t be used to make food.

Enough about the steaky wakes and eggiweg, how do you sophistos peet your Knifey Moloko? That vellocet and drenchrom are like a tolchock to the yarblockos, eh my droogs?

Maybe there's some sort small of spacefuture marine mammal from the Kikyo Sector that produces edible milk and eggs. Seems like it'd be easier to keep a few water chickens in a spaceship than it would be to tend real ones.

Also, since I mentioned Tami, Hoshi Ryusei Ranch has yaks which, of course, produce yak milk.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back