• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Who’s up for some Steam Punk?

James

Inactive Member
Steam Punk Is like Sci-Fi only with steam powered machines, fantasy elements and Mad Science!

I really, really, really want to RP some and I’m hoping others here do too.

I also love world building so this will be set in an original fantasy world.

Here’s what I’ve thought of so far.

Nearly a hundred years ago, Science and Magic were at war. Science won but only by luck. Since then the world of Erestin has been in a technological resonance with Steam Power fuelling mankind’s ambitions. The place where the last battle between Science and Magic took place was a valley on the southern edge of the Mountain Kingdom of Hrothgar. This Valley is called Craseem, and after the victory many of the great war machines were used to build the City of Val Cres. This city is at the forefront of the renascence, Universities and Laboratories study and invent new technology, and it is this city where our story will take place.

But not all is as it seems in Val Cres. The forces of Magic may have been defeated, but they were not destroyed. They have gone underground, creating a network of agents and spies. And they are watching Val Cres Very closely…

This is rough, I’ve left this very open to be expanded on and we can make up more as we go along. For now we can all play citizens of Val Cres or agents of the Secret Mage Uprising.

My goal is to see where this idea can go, it could stay small and just be something we do for fun as a brake from gallivanting across the stars. Or it could grow and evolve into its own stand alone RP, who knows. But it’ll be fun to find out.

So, if your interested, say so and share your ideas, lets build this world together.

I'm in. Me and steampunk are like this --->|<---, with the line inbetween representing a few micrometers of empty space.

What do you need help with?

Well, I suppose I should start with a map of the city, since it exists only in my mind right now. I could use help with some of the inventions, stuff like Air-ships, Steam Carriages, Clockwork Devices used for everyday life, and stuff that’s newly invented or prototypes.

Any other setting ideas you have would be great too.

I have this idea for a steam powered Land Battleship but it probably won’t come into play at the start. What I’m thinking for the first Act is Investigations, Shadows in the dark and perhaps an assassination or two, so there’s room to be people from many walks of life, from rich investors, eccentric or madcap inventors to humble police officers, poor working class folk or even daring adventurers.

Once we have more of an idea of what people want to play I can start working on how to tie everyone together.

I'm game. I've had a few steampunk characters in open roleplays before, so I've got a bunch of leftover ideas I might be able to graft into whatever comes up. Not to mention my favorite little mad scientist.

One thing I'd suggest ahead of time is agreeing just what sort of science to use. Me, I like using patently disproven concepts like phlogiston and aether, so they wouldn't really work in a more actual-science setting. And then some people like things a bit more realistic.

Kel said:
One thing I'd suggest ahead of time is agreeing just what sort of science to use. Me, I like using patently disproven concepts like phlogiston and aether, so they wouldn't really work in a more actual-science setting. And then some people like things a bit more realistic.

Actually, I just wrote a steampunk novel called Larklight about Victorian-era Britain having spacecraft, being able to walk in space without a suit (instead wearing lead panchos and boots) and using Newtonian physics to pilot boat-like spacecraft across the far reaches of space.

They also had a precursor to powered armor.

EDIT: My first contribution to the thread... A steampunk airship.

Beluga-II class Airship

Dimensions:
(Envelope) 600 feet long, 50 feet tall, 40 feet wide
(Gondola) 400 feet long, 10 feet tall, 30 feet wide

Purpose:
Military transportation (infantry, vehicles)

Powerhouse:
4x steam-powered turbine-driven propellors

Weapons:
2x Water-cooled automatic rifles, forward and aft observation posts

History:
Originally designed as a passenger craft, the Beluga-I class airship has been adapted as an airborne military transport capable of carrying up to a company of armed soldiers or an entire armored division. It carries enough supplies to stay airborned for as long as a month; and has several emergency flare tubes used to signal rescue forces in case the craft is shot down.

ok can we put like a seperate folder in the cluster flux section for our ideas and such? just so i can keep this all straight in my mind?

PM me a request with forum name, description, moderators, GM and backup GM names, and names of 3 RPers ready to RP in it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back