• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Wiki setting expansion

Nightowl

Inactive Member
Would it be amiss if I edited the Tami System wiki section to bring it more in line with my character history? Shinozaki Kakeru from Tami.

Just planning to add that the majority of the population survived the Mish invasion by fading into the forests though infrastructure damage was severe and that the population has a severe dislike of biological weaponry.

I won't expand further than that unless you find it interesting to extrapolate the village into a whole society (i.e local population were refugees from the Great Plague, have isolationist tendencies due to lingering trauma, heavily anti-bio due to their history and their new "friends" the Mish.

Tami kinda already has a already has some history as it was used as a base for a company, and it's still used as a wood farm to my understanding. Also that company plans on setting back up there. So I don't think editing the history would really be good. Though I don't run Origin or YSE so I can't say for sure, but generally as a rule editing setting elements just for your character's history isn't a good idea.

I'm not creating my own rules. "As a general rule" is a phrase firstly and it loosely means "most of the time". And "2nd paragraph of the wiki" is very very vague. Are you talking about this?

In general, everything that happens in the Star Army RP is canon, so please add information about any events that occur and characters that appear, so that we can keep the universe internally consistent. Your creative contributions are also encouraged. You can expand the edges and fill in the gaps of the setting. Also feel free to fix any typos you find and update outdated pages. Be bold!
That does not apply to this at all. That is referring to events that happen in RP. You're asking about something that has not actually happened, you're essentially asking to change history even if slightly. That's different from adding an event to a planet's history that was actually played out and canon. You're also not really filling in a 'gap'. You're changing something to suit your needs, but not only that, but something that's already in use by other people. In fact just last month -two- separate plots(one of which is mine) were on that planet, and like I said there is a company that already has plans for use of that planet. You'd effect all that by changing the behavior of those on the planet, just so your backstroke can be a little more the way you want.

Did you miss reading the part "characters that appear"?

Guess we have to refer to Wes on this. Who was the one who asked me to put this up in the first place.

In the end, it depends on what you plan to change. If its something huge, such as what you want to change, as that was RP'd out and most of the world was obliterated by the Mishu (RP Canon) I'd say no. Rule or not. Its proper RP etiquette to respect other people's accomplishments. If just -your- person survived that would be difference, but you're asking for an entire population to suddenly go from completely missing to popping up in an RP where the characters could easily locate them using technology. How did they stay vanished from public eye for the past several years? Its literally impossible, and makes no common sense at all. Especially since they don't like biological weaponry.

Frankly put, in the end, it doesn't make sense for a population of people that has been said to have died out IC, to suddenly pop up and be alive.

Semjax is correct; espically given that there had been a few plots that had missions that took place on Tami, at some point one of those plots would've found something that would've spoken to this population still being there.. some kind of evidence, a signature, a reading. But the plots don't mention that.

This means that in order to get this to really fly, there'd have to be an explaination as to 'why' they were never found. One possibility could be that these survivors were hidding to keep undergruond for a ships sensors to easily locate them, this includs being hidden beneath minerals that blocked sensor scans. Doing this helps to remove the unanswered question of how teh other plots didn't find them,

Semjax, that is a better reason than Syaoran's "no edits at all on principle" and is probably the reason Wes asked to put it up here, to prevent counter RP situations. Unlike some, I structure the character for the universe, and it took me an hour to find a planet rural enough with a low population that isn't rocky or volcanic. If the planet underwent extermination, then I obviously need to change character history (and someone please edit the wiki for Tami)

Any alternate suggestions for a rural low population vegetated planet?

Why not create your own? There's no real rules that stop you as long as it makes sense. Work with Wes to create your own planet for your population to be on, though there are plenty of planets I'm sure.

The passive aggressive attitude is not helping your case @Nightowl. And if you make your character for the universe why are you asking to change anything at all? That's changing the universe for your character. And frankly kind of selfish when you don't even know all the history that's happened there. And it's not 'no edits at all on principle'. People do not take kindly to someone wanting to change something already established just so their character can be a special little snowflake. Because that effects RP that already happened.

So I would kindly like you to lose the attitude.

You're your own worst spokesperson you know? A simple "we RPed razing that world" would have solved it, but you decided to make a huge circle.

And can you lose your attitude? The one that goes "no, no, no, no" to everything? It seems to be a default mode. Look up the mecha thread if you don't believe me. No, no, no to everything.

I'm not going "no no no" to everything. It just so happens that you, a person who hasn't been here a week is saying stuff that's wrong, and you're being corrected. That's what it is Nightowl. And if you read everything I'd have said above, I did say that RP had taken place there. I also said that that was the key difference between what paragraph two was referring to and what you wanted. You just didn't read all of it.

This RP is over 10 years old, and has a huge player base. It's not a place you can just change history on a whim. You're gonna need a good reason for it.

You know, the main reason this is put up here is EXACTLY for that reason, to catch continuity errors? If I was out to change the wiki, I wouldn't have asked, I would have done it. And you would never have known about it. This is asking if there is a continuity error, not inviting personal attacks. So shove it.

You asked to change it, not "is there a continuity error." I told you "That's not a good idea". If you wanted to check continuity you'd be asking for more info on Tami, or if the wiki was right. And you're above personal attacks but not being passive aggressive? That doesn't put you in a position to act like you're on a moral highground. But anyway it looks like you've changed your character's history to be from somewhere else, so my involvement here is done now that Tami and my RP are not in danger of possible retcons.

And for the record, I would've noticed if you edited Tami, and even if I didn't someone else, probably an admin would've noticed an illegal edit.

I'm going to step in here since things are becoming personal. I want to say I want Star Army members to "show new players the ropes," not to beat them with the ropes. When something doesn't work, we should try to figure out ways it could instead of just saying why it wouldn't. When he asked for suggestions for an alternate "rural low population, vegetated planet," nobody provided them. At least try to answer his questions.

Anyway, while we try not to change established history, particularly RPed stuff, it's usually okay to add to the history of a place, as long as it is sensible. After all. a setting with a rich history is part of Star Army's charm.

Which brings us back to the topic: Could a family have survived on Tami during the Mishhuvurthyar occupation?

Yeah, I think some well-equipped people could have survived and gone unaccounted for, as long as they were out of the nuclear blast ranges from the initial attacks and were good at laying low. What I disagree with is the idea that a "majority" of the local people could have hid. I think very few people would have survived. It'd be like living through a post-apocalyptic period, or like groups of jews hiding deep in the woods during World War 2. Survivalist skills would be needed.

Alternatively we could help Nightowl find another planet to use. Let's reverse that. As an answer, Anisa springs to mind. It's not that populated and has rural areas and importantly, it's been part of Yamatai long enough for the history and backstory (we have a ton of rural planets but a lot of them were picked up only in the last 10 years).

Edit: I noticed he's now from "village deep within the forests of Trisylvania" - and I wanted to note that the villages of Trisylvania are where the Elves live (Star Army has a handful of fantasy remnants and you just stumbled on one). So if you want to make him born as an Elf, or at least familiar with them, that'd work. Unfortunately elves don't have an article on the wiki that I could find. But they're essentially a non-magical version of your standard fantasy elf.

No one is trying to beat him over the head with the rules Wes, but when you tell someone "This is a bad idea" and they respond with "No it's not stop making things up." There's only so much you can do besides getting more overt with the 'rules' until they get that it is one. I'm all for helping new people. That's why I looked in this thread in the first place. But new people have to want to be helped, and not just ignore things other's say because they're not coming from you Wes.

Being new doesn't give them a free pass at being disrespectful.

Last edited:
I did consider Anisa, but being colonized only in YE 23 was out of the age gate. Tatiana was too urbanized, Ushobrakflug was Mish territory, Oum is all algae which would make him less a hunter, more a vegetarian and all have the problem of the age gate. At least that's over.

Yeah. The setting has experienced rapid and recent expansion, making Yamatai and Nepleslia some of the only places where characters could have plausibly been born if they're human-aged (and not instantly adult clones like Nekovalkyrja). A lot of folks solve this by saying their family moved at some point.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back