• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

"Work in progress"/"discussion" board under submissions board

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Hi,

Just talking on the IRC. It might be a good idea to have an intermediary for the submission/approval system where people can post what they're working on publicly and get a back and forth with other members to produce a better product.

In this way, questions and problems can really be hashed out and a thing really torn into constructively so what arrives on the approval board is much easier for tech mods to deal with.

Another idea I was thinking was the possibility of allowing for role-play of an element before its finished to better explain it. In this way, you're going to basically be getting a better taste of what its like which allows faction managers and GMs to make a more informed decision.

Could be really good for helping people getting character concepts up and running, too, especially for first-timers.

Do you think we could host these host of discussions in the NTSE forum without making a new forum for them? I was thinking we could use the thread prefixes systems so that posts would be tagged:

[Request]
[Concept]
[Discussion]
[Submission]
[Review In Progress]
[ON HOLD]
[APPROVED]
[REJECTED]

Thoughts?

Seems about right, actually but not having a dedicated board means there's uncertainty and posts will end up all over the place with mods having to put them back into the right place, I think.

given that there a limited number of mods, I don't see a problem using the existing ones. Because not everyone is going to want to do create by committee

I honestly don't see uncertainty happening if we don't have a specific WIP forum.

The tags work well enough, in my opinion. Besides....what would we put in the main NTSE section if we did have a WIP forum?

basically the WIP forum would be for putting a submission that you want other people to give input before it ever goes into official submission and review.

Another idea I was thinking was the possibility of allowing for role-play of an element before its finished to better explain it. In this way, you're going to basically be getting a better taste of what its like which allows faction managers and GMs to make a more informed decision.

If you mean to have players actually RP out the piece of tech they are going to submit, I like the idea; and have seen that used on other RP forums (some of which actually require it, so that players don't potentially submit overpowered items)

Isn't that effectively EXACTLY what the almost entirely unused simulation chamber was, though? People just skipped it unless it was specifically recommended to them to iron out worries people had.

Correct Aendri, perhaps and I know some people might wanna lynch me for this, but maybe we should make it kind of mandatory now? I know this would add more work for people, but it would also help in fleshing out the submissions as well as reveal any underlying problems that weren't obvious. I know this might be difficult for some submissions though, such as a few that Osaka does, so maybe we should have be required only for certain submissions. Such as starships, weapons, and fully-working vehicles. But things like ship systems, vehicle systems, planets, and so on are optional (not required) this would give a bit of leeway.

For me, I never used the sim chamber because it actually wasn't required (unlike on a few other boards I go to, where it is)

If we were to have it again, we'd have to ensure people use it, otherwise it'd be a largely empty forum taking up space =(

Last edited:
I'm completely against making it mandatory. That would help the people who can use the stretching of their ideas to work out kinks, but would just irritate other people to no end. There are already enough complaints about the stupidity some people see in the NTSE process as it is, I don't see a good reason to add additional irritation for minimal gain.

Perhaps making it mandatory would be a stretch, instead leaving it up to the tech mods to determine whether something should be posted in the simulation forum (if we have it again) or not.

I mean, lets put it this way. When I think on it, just because a forum isn't being used a whole lot doesn't mean it should go away, putting the forum back and then just putting up a disclaimer on it (making it optional maybe instead again?) and just let people know 'why' its there.

Osaka's opening post does not ask for a simulation chamber IC demonstration forum; it asks for an OOC discussion forum for WIP additions to the SARP.

That train of discussion is a spin off from the opening post

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back