• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Yaichiro Tactics Manual

Toshiro

Inactive Member
(Edited Feb 1st, 8:51 PM EST)

I'm requesting approval for this...a manual Yaichiro compiles which will have tactics meant to make optimal use of standard and existing SA technology. The tactics, however, will need approved...and he may ICly have to run tests at Gemini for this, perhaps with the Asuka.

These need not be approved in their entirety, bits and pieces may be approved and other parts not.

While I don't think the CFS in made to do this, I don't see why you couldn't just go and create an optional shield generator type which would be able to achieve what you think.

My argument is that I don't think the type of barrier the CFS creates would be able to achieve that sort of effect due to the concept behind its composition. I'm not adverse to you making some sort of frontal-corkscrew maneuver compatible equivalent to the Spike, though.

Since Yamatai has been dabbling in layered shield technology to try to blunt the shield-piercing effect of tunneling positron cannon, I don't see why an alternate field of research to give ships a temporary maneuvering boost and enhancing the frontal shield to make the said maneuver would be unfeasible. Go for it and have Yaichiro make it! It was his idea after all.

Hmm...perhaps it would be possible to make a second generation Spike this way...at least the first half of the tactics work, and that alone is worth checking out. Add to that the 29L and this new Spike type, and Yaichiro will be a busy guy. XD

Unfortunately, I still have to put some thought into how to boost engine speed 20-30% in short bursts...maybe that could just be lumped into the HCSC cooling, making the ship able to tolerate more juice in short bursts...

Edit: I believe I can replace both of the questioned sections that involve rotating shields.

To replace the rotating sheilding, the CFS control system could simply be coupled with WARMS or another program to predict impact points, how powerful the attack will be, increase shielding energy at that point or points as needed, and then rebalance the remaining shield energy so that it is equal at all point after that specific attack is complete. It would be similar to making holes for exhaust and weapons, except you'd be making a surplus at one point rather than a field strength defficiency, and it could be done VERY quickly. It'd just be a slightly smarter shield, and no added hardware would be necessary.

The speed boost can be accomplished by just using the already outlined HSCS coolant to access Overdrive mode, and applying it to the engines in a regulated manner. The Sakura used this method once when Yaichiro was the Chief Engineer there, though she was fully red-lined rather than using a regulated boost.

Edit 2: MAJOR edit to implement new ideas above. Reread second half of submission please.

I still don't like the idea of using the repair system as coolant. Use the coolant system.

Hmm...well, the HSCS would have suplemented the coolant, but I suppose supercooling the coolant to just above freezing would assist as well...

Edit: Done.

The problem with this is that pretty much each GM has his own interpretation of how space combat should work and what sort of tricks people can pull off. I don't exactly disagree with that stuff if you'd want to have it see use on the Yggdrasil, for example (or any plot you manage) - but other game masters might have other takes on it which is why I myself haven't gone and approved it; but I haven't shared them because, frankly, I don't think I've managed enough space battles so far to really be able to come up with something complete and concise.

So, seeing that I feel it's unfair for you to stew like that, I'm approving this. However, the actual worth of the material contained within the tactical manual and the maneuvers and techniques within is up to the GM using it.

Thanks, Fred. ^^

These specific concepts view the technical angle almost exclusively, by the way. How one would USE these attributes, even if they choose to do so, it up to them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…