• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission [Yamatai] 8ga EM Ammunition

Firebrand

Inactive Member
Submission Type: More Ammunition, Smoothbore, EM Shotgun
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:8ga_em

Faction: Star Army of Yamatai
FM Approved Yet? Maybe?
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: Now for some shotgun ammo. Yes, I know, the consensus is that a shotgun wouldn't be much useful for a PA, but I disagree with that. I believe the versatility of a shotgun, combined with a high enough velocity, and, say... Nerimium shot would do a number on an Armor's pilot through kinetic force, and to weapons the armor is holding and equipment that is mounted to any number of hardpoints on it.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This review is for: 8 gauge Electromagnetic Shotgun Shells

The submitted article is/has…
[x] A very high level of overall quality
[x] A general topic sentence under the title header
[-] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[/] Lacking Detail
[-] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[-] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[x] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[x] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

1. Can we get a caliber on the Nerimium shot and slug? I'd assume the slug is 21 mm, but that's up to you.

2. Please put some ranges on these -- at least the plasma slug, to differentiate it from the rifle.

3. Shotgun shells as we know them are packages, but these can't quite work the same way if we're talking about a railgun. Can you clarify how the shotgun shells are packaged? Including dimensions?

4. Can you cut the airburst down to a meter? It's only a (presumably) 21 mm slug.

Added in calibers for the Nerimium Shot and Slug- I'm not entirely sure just how large each individual pellet should be for the Armor Shot though. Ranges from the MASR article have been added, and a description of how the shells work (A ferrous sabot) has been added. Also I cut the airburst AoE down too.

Keep in mind that the gauge of the shells themselves doesn't limit the ball size for the cartridges. It determines the bore, not the ball, size. If you're using materials as dense as nerimium, you can probably stick with fairly small pellets and still get a fair amount of impact out of them.

Last edited:
I edited the armor shot to say "21 x 45 mm wad firing six #000 balls". It's a ferrous one.

You should mark the armor shot as "experimental," I think. PA have a lot of systems to cover spall, kinetic energy and armor impacts. A Nep or Mishhu armor, for instance, wouldn't really get touched by this thing, but test it out in the RP and see how it works.

The plasma slug looks cool.

After those, you're approved.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…