• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Yamatai Census of YE 46

I read that as no income tax not no taxes at all. I'll get rid of the mentions of a sort of income tax. If Wes says there are no taxes at all, I suppose I'll need to change it further. That said, while taxation is a fascinating subject (like all economic issues it's actually a very ripe area for conflict), it's not really the subject of this thread so the longer question of 'how does Yamatai fund it's self' would need to be asked elsewhere.

Oooweee that's a crusty document. The modern YSE constitution makes no mention of it as if it supercedes it. But considering it is only mentioned regarding the creation of the immigration department, I am not surprised it was missed. Seems like something Wes to determine. Bar that, there is still lot of missing population data missing as highlighted.

while taxation is a fascinating subject (like all economic issues it's actually a very ripe area for conflict), it's not really the subject of this thread
The wiki article you linked is the subject of this thread, so it’s fine to address its problems. Yamatai doesn’t tax its people. That’s always been a fairly major part of the faction’s culture because it’s a semi-post-scarcity utopia. How do you tax a Neko on the prestige system whose real property was given to them by the government as a land grant? You don’t. It shouldn’t be included as one of the reasons this census exists.

Speaking of another problem, this article suggests that an Imperial Census is some kind of regular thing, when this will have been the first. Previously, “census” data was collected at the system level irregularly (basically the year mentioned on some articles came from whenever it was edited, thats why different systems have different dates but few have the same date).

So it’d probably be better to say this is the first empire-wide census rather than retconning in that it has always been a thing. That’s generally how we do things here. If it’s new it starts the current IC year rather than being retconned in.

Oooweee that's a crusty document. The modern YSE constitution makes no mention of it as if it supercedes it.
False. The Constitution does not supersede any previously established law unless they are in conflict. Many of Yamatai’s most basic legal norms are from pre-Constitution Senate proposals and still stand today.

This is really starting to move beyond poking at the problems of what this is trying to fix and more something else needs addressed. Thus I will make another thread about taxation/the status of the Basic Laws since the closest thing I can think of in real-life is the Articles of Confederation > US Constitution where something influences but doesn't include since it wasn't mentioned. As for your other point, it could be assumed it could have been a regular thing a government does. It's not exactly "sexy" like flying around in your starship blasting mooks in the name of the Empire.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…