• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Yamatai] - FTL Sensor drone

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
Whilst thinking of how the Aeon is going to be involved in the NMX war, I came up with this while thinking about the D.E.W. system the US has, and the Soviet listening station that Clint Eastwood encountered in Firefox.

FTL Sensor Drone

Was made before you joined. ^^; Link

In addition, I don't really understand how the TQP-RDD can have a passive scanning option as if it is scanning 'wide range of dimensions and phases' as it states, you'd be actively scanning even to a marginally small degree since you're monitoring high order planes and quantum disturbances. -More or less imagines it as a sort of lightening rod in reference to how it works.-

But, uhm, I don't know how much bearing that link I put up will have on this, Nash, but I did feel it relevant considering.

Hi Soresu,

Actually I knew about that device, but this drone serves a different purpose

PANTHEON's Eye Covert Sensor Probe
From the page description
of the need for a better method of infiltrating Mishhu space for transmissions,
this device is a complex communications system, designed to travel into enemy space, and infiltrate their communications network.

The FTL Sensor drone
Only detects the presence of ships moving in FTL. Its designed solely to track movement of ships. Deployed by starships at specific areas. The drone only tells you something is moving in that area.

As for the Ks-MIES-E3021, passive scan, hey I'm just quoting from the MEGAMI page as to what that sensor can do. :)

Besides in the context of how is used here, It would only be doing a passive scan of the local space for energy or mass.

*groans* Yeah, most MEGAMI sensor ranges are quite overblown - that probably hails back to when SARP was trans-universal (across several different messageboard roleplays) and needed its stuff to be state-of-the-art in contrast to the other settings.

If you ask me, using as reference the sensor ranges for the optional equipment the Miko computers have as a benchmark for everything that's ship-based/ship-scaled in terms of capabilities would be better. While significantly less stronger, it allows for science stations, sensor arrays, observation post and communication relays to be useful in-universe with ships needing to go places to see what's there.

FYI: A shuttle launch can be detected from Pluto with today's technology and we do have optical sensors today that can detect objects thousands of light years away.

So I don't think sensor ranges are overblown at all.

Ugh, this thread is a bad place to bring up stuff that's only indirectly related to the submissions. My appologies to Nashoba.

I'd invite the next posters to elaborate more on the submission itself.

Ok, so can I get a review on this submission, as I stated this device is definitely not the same as the PANTHEON's Eye Covert Sensor Probe

This drone requires that a ship travel to a specific location and deploy the drone, rather than launching it and having it go on its merry way.

As for the range of the drone, given the scale of the area, its not unreasonable. To provide full coverage of the space lane from the northern entrance of KMS to the entrance of Plumeria's gap would require a minimum of eight drones to be deployed.

This review is for: FTL Sensor Drone

The submitted article is/has…
[+] A general topic sentence under the title header
[+] Artwork (illustrations are strongly encouraged for all spacecraft and handheld items)
[+] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[+] In the proper format/template
[+] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[+] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[+] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[+] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[+] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[-] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[-] Obtusely redundant
[-] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[-] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[-] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[-] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[-] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[-] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[-] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[+] Lacking Detail

The article has…
[+] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[+] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[+] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[+] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
One item on the checklist is not satisfied and will hold up approval.
** Their is no range listed for its subspace communicator.

Notes
Comparing the PANTHEON's Eye probe and this submission it is my determination that they are intended to fulfill different (albeit related) roles. The submitted probes is, I believe, intended for wide scale mass production since it appears to be much cheaper (no FTL, very limited STL, no shields, etc.). I believe the submitted probe is intended to operate in a picket role within secured (or at least not openly hostile) space whereas the PANTHEON's Eye probe is intended for operation within the enemy's territory.

As a fun note on the PANTHEON's Eye it has a "STL" speed that is actually equivalent to 83c, nearly 1/4th the speed of its 'FTL' drive.

That is all,
Vesper

I have assigned a range for the subspace communications equal to that of the sensors of 20 LYs since the drones are intented to relay data between them it is an effective range.

FYI, when working on this I searched for more details on the subspace communication within the SARP. For things like how fast the message can travel and range. I even did another check this morning and could not find any comm system with Subspace having ranges. So this is now the first unit to actually have a stated communications range. But it fits in context with this, because having the Subspace comm range limited means the energy requirements would be lower and would also help reduce the chance of detection.

Nashoba

As a side note, I fixed the error on the PANTHEON'S EYE article by reducing its STL speed to 0.10.

Thanks for reviewing this, Vesper!

I'll leave you the honor of approving it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back