• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Yamatai] - Ke-P1 (Series) Collapsible Rapid Deployment Modu

We're trying to cut back on the use of Zesuaium...so do you think Durandium would be okay instead?

Wes,
During the creation process I looked a the various materials, available from KFY starting with Yamataium, then Zesuaium, and lastly Durandium.

I ruled out Yamataium because of its cost, and its regenerative properties were far beyond the needs of the Y-SSS.

The reason for the selection of Zesuaium was for these specific properties the material possesses.
incapable of any flexibility or warping

The CRDM are large and possess panels on the top that have to be thin and 47 feet long. When deploying and closing, these panels are pushed up and a significant portion of the material is suspended with out support. The above stated property is needed for the CRDM's would fail.

doesn't conduct electricity and heat

The CRDM will be used in a wide range of environments, think Egyptian desert in the summer, or alaskan tundra. The panels of the CRDM would become extremely hot, and transfer that heat or lack there of into the interior of the modules. Without this property, the CRDM would have to have a much larger environmental system. It would also have to have some sort of thermal insulating factor, and that would cause problems with the lifting panels. With a Zesuaium construction, the system is primarily an air recycling system, and provides basic temp control because of the contents, heat given off by the equipment inside, and personnel.

cannot expand or contract due to thermal conditions

With the kinds of potential temps the CRDM could have to operate in, expansion and contraction would cause problems with the hatches, and could prevent the modules from being able to deploy or close.

If Durandium had these properties, I would have chosen it instead, but the truth is Durandium does not have the tensile requirements for the CRDM as indicated by the following statement from Durandium page.

"Factories press the sheets or melt or the blocks into the desired shapes"

Bottom line, no Zesuaium, then no CRDM.

I'd go for no CRDM then. We've been doing better and better when it comes to phasing out the OP tech, and Zesu's no different. We shouldn't use it.

I hate to say that, considering all the awesome work you put in, Nashoba, but we shouldn't have given you the option of Zesu to begin with, and that's our fault.

I disagree with Brian's statement that Zesuaium is vital. All the problems are easily overcome and Durandium is quite strong...so I'm approving this item but as Durandium instead of Zesuaium.

Maybe we could add to the history section, "Due to cost considerations, the Star Army opted to use Durandium rather than Zesuaium for the body. This had the unfortunate side effect of leaving the CRDM somewhat under-insulated, necessitating the need for an optional quilted interior liner (available from Star Army logistics) when in extreme environments."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back