Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Yamatai territory] Yamatai Star System

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Submission Type: Star System
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=system:yamatai

Faction: Yamatai Star Empire.
FM Approved Yet? No.
Faction requires art? No.

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes
Contains New art? Yes.
Previously Submitted? No.

Notes:
The planetary articles are not ready for submission yet, but I plan to expound upon what I've written in for planetary notes on this page. The minor and dwarf planets also will get submissions.

Thanks to Arieg for the template and the art!

Last edited by a moderator:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not all that fond of the sun's name. Our sun is identified as "Sol" for the "Sol star system"... so wouldn't it be the same for the sun in the "Kikyo star system"?

So far, it feels kind of omitted due to an adherence to a Norse God naming scheme that already feels a bit uneven with the insertion of "Geshrintall" (and that's maintained with the name change to Yamatai).

Also, there's seemingly nothing referencing Yamatai's two moons, Luna Bianca and Midori no Umi. I know why planet Odin skips its own moons (too many, less relevance)... but wouldn't the inhabited moons of the capital planet deserve some mention?

I can change everything for "Freyr" to "Kikyo" without too much trouble. To be honest, I forgot we ever called the star that at all. Easy fix!

My reasoning for a Norse/Japanese naming scheme is to pay the dues to the initial "Viking/Samurai" roots of Yamatai. I thought they'd go with names from both languages, hence why you have some Shinto gods represented along Norse gods.

I didn't reference much of anything with Yamatai/Geshrintall because it has its own page (which, admittedly, needs work). I can mention them in this article, but I didn't want to take away from the Planet Yamatai page.

... Do we call the star Kikyo? I'm trying to find evidence of that, but all I find is the Kikyo Sector, which seems to refer to either just Yamatai (?) or the entirety of known space. Very confused here.

I think we should just call the star Yamatai and note that it was renamed when planet Yamatai was renamed. Kikyo Sector is basically the IC name of the main starmap AFAIK.

I have one small question, this system was originally under the control of the Elysians. So shouldn't there at least be a mention of their original names before Yamatai took them over and gave them Norse names.

I think Humans arrived prior to Elysians being created (?). But the events that far back are kind of fuzzy (e.g. we never decided on them). I wouldn't worry about it.

Wes said:
I think we should just call the star Yamatai and note that it was renamed when planet Yamatai was renamed. Kikyo Sector is basically the IC name of the main starmap AFAIK.

That's one retcon I'd feel much better without.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue why it was referred to as the Kikyo Star System, but I didn't make that up.

What I do know is that I have referenced it in the past, and I'm used to calling it that. I'd hate to see something I see as well-established get knocked aside like that.

Officially renaming the star system "Yamatai" is also undesirable in my eyes. We don't call our star system the "Earth star system", right? I could kind of swallow having the starmap label that system as "Yamatai" under the excuse of 'indicating points of interest rather than real stellar cartography names' - but I'll admit I've long (if passively) wanted to see the system renamed on the starmap to "Kikyo".

To be honest, as long as established setting elements aren't disturbed by this submission, I view it as a very good addition, regardless of my opinion on new names and such. After all, it's no secret that I far prefer Yamatai's japanese tilt to its nordic one, so, I may be biased.

As for the Elysian names Nashoba mentioned... it seems to make sense, though I kind of feel it can also needlessly muddle things too. Or you can kind of handwave it with the notion that a majority of the Elysians then were nordic-inclined, and that after the war the present strain of Elysian ethnicity has become the dominant one.

I don't mind calling the star Yamatai ... just seems weird to call the star the same thing as the planet. Arieg had the suggestion of Yamatai Prime — would that work? Still the Yamatai Star System that way ...

I don't want the capital system of Yamatai to be named anything other than Yamatai. It's been Yamatai for years, as shown on the big starmap and its predecessor (the pixel art starmap). No "Yamatai Prime."

The statistics used for Yamatai in this article also don't seem to match the details in the present article used for the planet; of course I understand if you've been using some kind of generator to create the basic details for the solar system you were probably unable to reconcile the statistics that already existed with whatever planetary statistics you were able to generate.

Retconning the details about the planet and giving the planet the properties presently listed in this article (specifically giving it a radius of 7192.5 Km) would make the map I made earlier for Yamatai and its stated measurements of distance incorrect. Which would make me sadface 😢 . :P

Actually, when I made that map I also tried my hand generating the rest of the statistics for the planet, its moons, and the star around which it would be based given what already existed in the Yamatai article and also using the dimensions given on the map I made. You can find the stats I generated here put in a template similar to the one you've been using:

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=us ... el:sandbox

Those stats I generated presently match every canon statistic for Yamatai except for the length of the planets solar year -- what is currently given is what the year of a planet with those physical dimensions should be. If we're keeping with the premise that the whole yamatai system is artificial and 'kwirky' you could still shrink the planets year down from 406.73 days to 315 days like what is currently given as the planets year. The only stats which I haven't finished calculating yet are the planets sidereal period and apparent day length -- which I can do in another hour or so.

-----

On another tack; you've also made no mention of the remnants of Hoshi no Iori -- I realise the structure was 'destroyed' in the Battle of Yamatai, though I personally don't recall how it was done. Given that is was a circumstellar ring with a radius of about .8 AU, I imagine it left some sort of debris field at about that distance from the star, unless the thing was completely annihilated without leaving a trace behind.

So, Yamatai and Yamatai? It's a little weird, but you're the boss, Wes. Guess it's kind of like New York, New York.

Yamatai is THAT kind of name.

The planetary details are indeed not what are on the page; I haven't messed with them yet. I wanted to use the details on the planetary page and your map, Khassy. I didn't realize you had all those statistics already when I started making the system! My apologies.

So you're thinking I can use those statistics, but just change the timeframe of the year? I'm happy to use your work and credit you on that.

Hoshi no Iori indeed requires mention, but I've found a couple different mentions of it, and my memory isn't sure which is what — I thought it was indeed an circumstellar ring, but when I checked the wiki, it says it was a planetary ring instead. I didn't know how much debris to use. I can add the debris ring depending on what size we decide it is. Hoshi no Iori was going to get more mention when I detailed Freya's moons.

It was a circumstellar ring. Its immense size allowed it to move stars around (e.g. Hanako's Star).

Hoshi no Iori seemed to change sizes over the years.

It was originally

Stellar Radius: 0.8 AU from star, 150,000,000 mile diameter

Then it was described as

Hoshi no Iori ring was a planetary ring built around Planet Yamatai.

I don't understand why we'd want a blue star for Yamatai. I mean, I had always thought of it as sun-like.

There's color and ambiance and all of that, true. That wasn't at the top of my thinking, but it was part of it.

The article explains itself, I believe, but I'll be making sure it all gets fit together, hopefully today. Work has been a bit of a show.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back