• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Yamatai] - Type 31 Science Scanner

This is perfect! I'm glad the science people are getting some love.

Approved. Make sure to add it to the Type 31 Science Kit.

I would also like to make a few general comments first, which I feel are quite important and relevant to this item:

A) It is a very bad policy to approve something 2 hours after it was submitted in the middle of the night. The entire point of the NTSE is to allow peer review. When you approve something so fast (in the middle of the night no less) you defeat the purpose of the board. This is why I feel that any item (unless it is incredibly simple, like a steel knife or such) should remain unapproved for at least 12 hours, preferably a full day. This gives people enough time to look it over properly.

B) Wes, stuff like the UNSAFE really, really should go through the NTSE board. Obviously I can't stop you from just smacking it on the wiki and running with it, but it is extremely hypocritical to bypass the NTSE when you hound other people who put things in the wiki without going through the NTSE. I can understand bypassing it (at least for a time) if you are making something for a plot where it is important that its details remain hidden (a enemy ship for example) but the UNSAFE does not fall in to the category.

===
The following are some specific issues with the item and the UNSAFE unit on which it is based.
1) Neither the EM nor Scalar scanner head list a range at which they can function (despite the second functioning as a active scanner).

2) The Scalar head, to me, seems excessively capable for its size. It seems to perform most of the functions normally found in PA sensors in something the the size of a snack-sized candy bar.

3) Isn't it excessive to have a quantum computer in something so small?

4) The UNSAFE sensor on which this is based is also seriosuly flawed (it also was never approved. I see no reason why it should be exempt Wes. Even the Mishhu stuff is going through the NTSE now).

4.1) How does it perform a "scanning, transmissive, and reflective electron imager"? Scalar systems generate EM energy, not matter.

4.2) How does it perform a MRI scan? I do not believe their is any precedent for a scalar system creating a magnetic field. Further, the theories on which Scalar weaponry in this setting are based (however conspiracy theory they may be) do not support such a function.

4.3) A Laser imaging scan (which seems to be what it is doing for the 4th bullet point) is inherently a direct, active process.

4.4) Doesn't 400 PB (400 million GB) seem excessive for its size? Disregarding any technical problems with that amount of storage, what could the scanner possibly need with that amount of information storage? That is more information than exists in the entire Library of Congress (which has a copy of every book, video, and audio recording copyrighted throughout US history) by a factor of at least several hundred. The Type-31 scanner has a lot of storage for its size but it is not as egregious as the UNSAFE unit.

4.5) The operable duration of the UNSAFE unit is ridiculously huge for the size of its battery. It can do all the stuff it can for a week on a battery a bit larger than a half dollar.

4.5) How do you can femto-scale devices with this thing? Femto scale is on the upper edge of gamma radiation (keeping in mind gamma radiation is dangerous in even tiny amounts).

4.6) How does it get energy from a CFS system? The energy in that field is not in a form that is easily extractable (at least not for a solid-state unit like the UNSAFE).

Vesper

Ok, Since the Scalar module was added at the request of someone else. And that page had this statement
More advanced machining techniques may be able to further reduce the size of the unit.
Was the reason I felt it reasonable that Ketsurui Zaibatsu would have that ability.

So I have removed it because I want this device to get approved, and do not want this to start us down the slippery slope of retroactively questioning the feasibility of exiting tech.

The Quantum computer processor stays, It is not unreasonable as it is just the processor, to handle the processing of the data.

As for the storage capacity, its technologically not unreasonable.
Today you can get a flash drive that holds 128GB, and we have Terabyte hard drives today, given the order of magnitude the SARP tech has, 400 TB is not unrealistic.

Actually I have added the Scalar unit back, but it is streamlined, because several of the functions already are provided in the other modules.

Approved! This time for good, lol.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back