• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Yamataian or Minkan

Yep.
NH-22C was the Yamataian species, but we are trying to move to the Minkan, and have Yamataian be used to mean a citizen of Yamatai.

Wait. Can I draw this out a little?

So Yamataians are citizens now, when for years they've been a "species." Now the "species" is Minkan? Isn't that an awkward, abrupt change? It practically makes "Yamataian" irrelevant as a word.

Instead of Yamataians and Neko, now we have Minkans and Neko. When before, we had Geshrin and Neko.

I think I can follow this, but I feel it's really confusing. Basically, we're talking about humans, right? Especially if the character's a male. We have Neko and humans.

Maybe it's the word "species" that's bugging me. Are we really talking a whole new species? Maybe more of a new ethnicity? Or just stick with body type?

The point is mostly so that anyone that comes from planet Yamatai is a "Yamataian". Whether they are human/civilian or nekovalkyrja. By the same by, a nekovalkyrja can claim she is Yamataian. Essentially part of the Yamataian people.

I don't see the change as abrupt, so much as something that makes sense and was adjusted because the word 'Yamataian' was already used in other context - and it had already been broadly discussed while I was working on the NH-30 (in fact, you can probably blame me for this - I'm fairly certain I'm the one that cared enough about this to make it an issue from the first). "Yamataian design", "Yamataian ship", "Yamataian food", etc... and all along we weren't referencing the NH-22C so much as the culture.

ICly, it's probably more an issue of the NH-22C having been misnamed, and the people at KZ eventually figuring out a Yamataian Yamataian was a bit confusing, since anyone from Yamatai is a Yamataian... so they wizened up and corrected that when chosing the name of the subsequent iteration.

Yeah, that seems to be how it was. The 22C's name was the problem.

I get the idea of Yamataians coming from the YSE, but does that lead to people from the planet of Yamatai still being called "Yamataian Yamataians"? I guess you'd say something like, "Yamataian citizens from Anisa" or something like that, if you need to clarify. Like people from a province or state calling themselves "Quebeckers" or "Quebecois" in-country, but out-country just calling themselves "Yamataian."

So we have Neko and Minkans/humans as Yamataians like ethnicities are from Country X. Got it. Just gotta adjust my use of the word Yamataian.

History note: The reason the NH-22C was named Yamataian was purely a marketing move to show it was the national species of Yamatai, so that people would be more willing to transfer from natural species into a Nekovalkyrja-type body (NH-22 Nekovalkyrja became the NH-22C Civilian and NH-22M Military). Meanwhile, the NH-22C designation was downplayed for the same reason.

The irony of the Nekovalkyrja arguments in the senate right now is that there already exists two civilian models of Nekovalkyrja body (NH-22C, and by extension, the NH-31 Minkan) that are already considered a species.

And the other irony is that there are plenty of Geshrin — humans — who still won't transfer into "Neko bodies," especially when you had Neko going into NH-22C bodies that looked like Neko but were right alongside humans with the same body.

It was a pretty jumbled mess, looking back. I guess that's one benefit to how it is today, where we actually have a body for humans and a body for Neko that can co-exist, instead of shunting everyone into the same body.

I.e. we have two "species" again, as we seem to always have had.

Wow, that was more in-depth than I was expecting! So, my character is a NH-31 Minkan by species, and a Yamataian by birthplace. Thanks all, I'll change my page accordingly :D

RPG-D RPGfix
Back