• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Yarvex Foam

It actually says how it's made, but the means of making it, an alteration of the Yangs-Mills Theory, makes no sense since said theory has nothing to do with Quantom Chronodynamics, which is the primary feild of science that deals with Quarks and Glutons.

Well, i'm not sure i'd count 'using an alteration of Yang-Mills Theory' as a viable explanation of manufacturing technique, regardless of how applicable said theory really is ^_^;...

I tried looking up Yang-Mills Theory to figure out what sort of premise was being used. The name does come up when discussing Quantum Chromodynamics, but i'm no physicist, so i have no real way of knowing how applicable it is...

Tis the main problem with Sci-fi. Because usually stuff always breaks laws, but hey.

Law of Conservation of Mass says Black holes shouldn't exist under the theory it destroys matter.

*Shrugry*

Hmm... well, real-world scientific contradictions with the original Yarvex description aside, does anyone have any other comments regarding this? The article:

• Proposes an alternate arrangement for Yarvex fibers (3D matrix vs. 2D mesh)
  • Proposes a small expansion of the details of fabrication method for Yarvex fibers (Scalar fields used in fabrication; details of fabrication method are not mentioned in the original Yarvex article)
  • Proposes a new property for Yarvex fibers, as an extrapolation of the aforementioned fabrication method (Scalar fields can be used to alter bond length between particles in the fibers, thus altering fiber length and, by extension, mesh density)

I'm working on another submission that uses this material, so I can't move on with that until I know if this is going to work. I also didn't want to propose a new material if an existing one could be used. Any thoughts?

Bump?

This stuff was originally going to be part of the "Utility Goo" proposal, as a solid foam shell that the UG would be contained in. This would help prevent material loss and provide an extra measure of product durability, while at the same time partially negating the 'fluid' properties of Utility Goo, thus further distinguishing it from Pico-Jelly. The 'flexing' effect was also to be used for macro-scale mechancial force generation (in lieu of polymer strand manipulation).

Who manufactures it? Who designed it? Which faction is this for? This article leaves me with a lot of questions. Flesh it out some more and provide us with some solid info on this stuff.

I don't know who manufactures Yarvex, other thay KFY and MFY; the original article is not strictly faction specific. It only states that Yarvex was first used by KFY. Whether or not Yarvex Foam has a specific manufacturer depends on how much of an 'original' invention you would consider it; to me, it seems to be an obvious extension of Yarvex Mesh. If KFY (and now MFY) are the only factions that have the ability to manufacture Yarvex Mesh, then they would be the only ones with the ability to manufacture Yarvex Foam.

Yarvex Foam differs from Yarvex Mesh only in that the individual Yarvex strands are arranged in a volumetic 3D matrix rather than a layered 2D mesh. It isn't actually a new 'material,' just layers of yarvex interwoven three-dimensionally. Because Yarvex can be woven with fine enough grain to become impermeable, it would logically have a foam-like consistency because of trapped gas or vaccum pockets.

I wanted to confirm that such a thing was acceptable/possible. I also wanted to find out of it was acceptable to add some detail to the largely undescribed maufacturing process of all Yarvex, such that:

-Yarvex strands are manufactured using scalar fields
-Yarvex strand length can be adjusted using scalar fields

This would A) clarify how yarvex is made, and B) allow yarvex strands in certain configurations to have some limited 'active' properties.

Edit: I've edited the description with a name for the inventor and a note that there are no current manufacturers, under the assumption that this would be modified manufacturing process that has not yet been explored by MFY or KFY. If it is decided that this would not be the case, then both of these would need to be changed.

It has been almost a month since i addressed the cited issue (request for additional detail). I've been advised by Toshiro to bump for re-evaluation, so... bump for re-evaluation.

It looks okay to me except for the Active Properties section.

I think that section should be removed.

It's the scalar field thing, and yarvex being used like shape memory alloy.

That is what i need to know. Details about the properties of Yarvex are incredibly scant. Given just the wiki article, we know virtually nothing about how it is made, how it can be damaged or how it can be altered. Basically, you are stating that:

• Yarvex is not affected by scalar fields
  • The strand length of Yarvex fibers cannot be altered

This is dissatisfying, but these are things that have not been stated anywhere before. So is Yarvex totally immutable and indestructable, post-manufacture, or could the processes that are used to manufacture it in some fashion be used to alter it?

It could be manipulated by something that destroys matter or maybe something that manipulates gluons. Honestly, we probably don't need any more use of virtually indestructible materials in the SARP, though.

Fair enough, though detailing how Yarvex is manufactured would actually make it less virtually indestructable, as we would know precisely what forces can effectively alter it. In any event, i've removed the active properties from the description.

With the active properties section removed...

This is approved IC usage.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back