• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Your Opinion and Suggestions Please.

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
I've begun listing Damage Ratings upon the Abwehran's current armor and weapons systems in order to give them proper SRP charts when I post them on Wiki, as well as write up pages upon the vessels that don't have them yet.

I'd like your thoughts upon the Damage Ratings of the following technologies.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=abwehran_tri-layer_armor
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=abwehran_ablative_armor_plating
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=abwehran_lasers

I still need to work on the Abwehran Ion Cannon, the Railguns/Mass-drivers, and the Missile Technology, but I'd like some help on these before moving on.

From what I've read, Depleted Uranium does indeed have a damage resistance of 5. So a 5/6 for the tri-layer armour seems resonable to me. A +1 for the ablative extra also seems like a decent score.

I can't really comment on the science behind the lasers and the ammount of energy in them (so I couldn't give you a comparison between them and already rated weaponry). I can only say that weapons at or slightly above the standard armour of a race is a safe assumption from a tech-level point of view. That is, the ratings you've given them are fine imo because they match up with the armour, but I don't know if they're the actual ratings a laser of that size would get.

Rapid-fire chemical lasers, while possible, are impractical. Chemical lasers are designed to rapidly increase heat/entropy in the target by maintaining a focused beam. Rapid fire would merely waste the fuel that powers the laser. I'd recommend, if you're trying to follow science, replacing the multi-barrel concept you have with increasingly more durable emitters (can sustain fire longer) and more fuel (likewise). Or, alternatively, keep the multi-barrels, but instead of rotating them for rapid fire, have them fire simultaneously.

Either of those would work much better with the gatling-style gun, assuming you have a powerful enough generator to power them. That's simple enough to do in this setting, I should think.

I looked over the missle tech. The laser warheads seem like they'd be extremely cost ineffective, unless it's also possible to retrieve and recharge them post-battle. Some kind of large shrapnel bomb would serve a similar purpose, if not.

One difference you neglected to include between the fission and fusion missles: fission leaves massive radioactive fallout behind, and a powerful EM field that can damage electronic equipment. Fusion power is much cleaner and doesn't cause these side-effects, though it's certainly more powerful.

I've made the revisions to the Gatling Laser Cannon, as well as the Fusion and Fission Warheads. Thanks for the heads up on that, those technologies have been sitting there for two years without me putting the effort into really fleshing them out.

Anyway, I'd have to argue about the Laser Warheads. Considering the Abwehran's technological level is vastly above our own Modern Earth's tech level, I'd believe they'd have the ability to manufacture laser technology cheaply enough to use in the warheads form.

EMP only accompanies nuclear detonations inside the atmosphere; it's caused by interactions between the air and the radiation. Additionally, fallout only occurs when the bomb can irradiate dust and ash sucked up from the ground.

Additionally, the lack of an atmosphere to transfer a shockwave makes the use of nuclear weapons in space inefficient, since most of the energy is radiating out into the void. It's much more efficient to use nuke-pumped X-ray laser missiles.

Interesting note:

Staged Thermonuclear weapons traditionally have used a Fission-Fusion design, or even a three-staged Fission-Fusion-Fission design. However, there is theoretically no limit on the number of stages you can add; five or six and you can hit a Gigaton yield (compare that to 50 Mt; the largest nuclear weapon detonated). A direct hull hit and that's some serious kinetic and thermal energy, even if the majority is wasted.

Or, one could make a shaped charged by surrounding the core with fission detonators, both compressing the core but also directing the resulting fissioning material.

nick012000 said:
EMP only accompanies nuclear detonations inside the atmosphere; it's caused by interactions between the air and the radiation. Additionally, fallout only occurs when the bomb can irradiate dust and ash sucked up from the ground.

Additionally, the lack of an atmosphere to transfer a shockwave makes the use of nuclear weapons in space inefficient, since most of the energy is radiating out into the void. It's much more efficient to use nuke-pumped X-ray laser missiles.

I can understand EMP, but fallout could occur in space as well. There is dust in space after all.

Layla Veressis said:
Staged Thermonuclear weapons traditionally have used a Fission-Fusion design, or even a three-staged Fission-Fusion-Fission design. However, there is theoretically no limit on the number of stages you can add; five or six and you can hit a Gigaton yield (compare that to 50 Mt; the largest nuclear weapon detonated). A direct hull hit and that's some serious kinetic and thermal energy, even if the majority is wasted.

Or, one could make a shaped charged by surrounding the core with fission detonators, both compressing the core but also directing the resulting fissioning material.

That is an interesting note. I may have to ponder that.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back