Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

SYNC [YSS Wakaba] Father to Son

Soban

Convention Veteran
RP Date
YE 45.4
To: William Fletcher II

Son,

I deeply regret not being able to speak to you in person at this point, to sit around the fireplace and listen to how your time away have changed you. I will catch you up about all of the personal things in my life when we can do that, but overall things with your mother and I are good and you have another nephew.

I have only had time to briefly skin the preliminary report. Experiences like you have on the Wakaba during it’s long and perilous journey are rare, and must be treasured. You have no idea how proud I am of you. It appears you have stepped up, become the man who your captain and your ship needed you to be. You have both suffered loss and triumph, and I hope come to understand that they are both imposters. While the outcome of our actions matters, they are an illusion of the true victory which rests inside you. In how you make your decisions and your moral character.

Now, I expect there will be a great victory celebration where we will be able to speak more in depth between the festivities. I look forward to that reunion. Between now and then remember that a man is tested by success as much as he is by failure. Many doors will open themselves up to you now, consider carefully the path you wish to take.

Few ask themselves how they will deal with such tests. Do not be quick to praise yourself, let others do it for you. Do not assume that your victory accords you any special consideration. Instead, when those with wisdom see that you have humility, your star will rise even higher.

Your battles with the Mishhuvurthyar will be the subject of intense discussion and you should be aware of the larger context. Yours is not the only fight we have had with them in recent days. We’ve defended against several raids from wandering fleets, which seem like remnants, but… why now, why after so long? Why so many? There are many unanswered questions. I have dispatched scouting fleets to find where they are coming from. However, while we have destroyed a couple of small shipyards, there doesn’t seem to be a way to pin them down so we can crush them.

Things will be coming to a head in the next couple of months and you should be ready for it. Yamatai will enter a new phase of our conflict with the Mishhuvurthyar and this means opportunities for a young officer such as yourself. Stay alert for them and consider them carefully.

Always remember that while duty may separate us, I will always love you and I am proud of the man you have become.

William Fletcher I

RPG-D RPGfix
Back