Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Zen Armaments .357 Pistol

Soresu

Submission Type: Handgun
Submission URL: Link

Faction: Nepleslia, Zen Arms
FM Approved Yet? Yes

Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
It goes bang, bang, bang. Also, if someone would be cool with halping me with art, it'd be much appreciated since I like to give my guns visuals. Otherwise I can't draw (or render which I think does a weapon zero justice) worth a crap.

Why would Zen Arms use a 357 now when they've been using/making the .45 for literally hundreds of years? I think it would make more sense if the backstory was just that it was an alternate ammunition or even that the gun was an older model brought back into service or redesigned after a period of not being made.

But mainly, this article needs art. SARP has over 120 pistols made already and nobody will want to choose your gun over others if they can't look at it on the wiki and add the art to their character page's inventory section.

Because despite the notoriety of the .45 ACP, the .357 (Which is like the .357 SIG) actually has a higher velocity over it. And is a small diameter bullet. It's p.much a amped up 9mm. Bigger and louder isn't always better. And Zen is trying out the .357 as an alternative to the 10mm and .45. But that does not mean either will be used any more or less as they have been.

And as I have mentioned before, I'm crap at art, Wes (Stick figures are the full extent of my prowess via my left hand due to my right wrist having been shattered before). And rendering a gun via DoGa wouldn't do this thing justice. Beyond this, art should not hold up the submission due to art not being required for weapon submissions anymore even though I do agree, it would be much better for it.

Sor, I'll do the art for it.

Send me a description and maybe a couple reference photos of guns that you think it ought to look like. Can't promise it'll be done soon since I'm a little swamped on work at the moment. But I'll definitely work on it.

A couple things, but big ones.

1. Extend the overall length and barrel length, unless you're purposely going for a very heavy sub-compact pistol.

If you're not, extend your barrel length to at least 100 mm (~4"), if not 112 or 120 mm (~4.5" to 5"). Your overall length should extend accordingly.

2. Increase that maximum range! Even with a 3.5" barrel, max range should be 75 m. Get it out to 5" and your effective goes up to 65 m, with an effective of about 120 m.

I made some changes, however it was made to be compact so that the weight would weather some of the recoil and prevent any muzzle climb (And to be a bit more concealable). But, overall, I just added .40 inches to the barrel which extended the overall length to 7.23 inches. So the barrel is 4 inches long now.

Ahhh, OK. At 4 inches, you're right at perfect compact pistol size. So all is good.

In case anyone has doubts, that means I recommend this submission for IC usage.

You're the expert on this kind of stuff Doshii. Personally, I see nothing further wrong with this submission.

Approved.

We still need an article for the ammunition! The firearms template was recently updated to say that the ammo should be a separate page so it can be used by multiple weapons.

Why do we need articles for every ammunition type beyond adding more complexity to an already tedious process of getting something approved? -Waves a hand at the pistol.- The ammo is already on the page in black and white (Or in this case white and dark blue). Either way it'd result in copy pasta be it from links or by pasting the ammo descriptors onto the page. This way the page is a little more 'full' looking and instead of clicking to another page to look up the ammo it is right in front of you.

Plus if someone makes 'one-shot' ammo (Ammo Types only used once on a custom weapon.) it would only complicate the process.

There should not be an ammunition section on the gun page, just a link to the ammunition's page. If every gun has the ammo on the page, it results in copy pasta when ammo is shared between multiple weapoons.

Thanks! I added an ammo section to the Zen page.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back