• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Character Zvevda'Esajt 'Truth' Ocheesta

Vesper

Inactive Member
Name: Zvevda'Esajt ‘Truth' Ocheetsa
General Information
Species: Lorath

Family (or Creators):
Dyrlian Ocheesta (Father)
Xrelywv Ocheesta (Mother)
Binujael Ocheesta (Brother)
Malni Ocheesta (Sister)

Employer: Lorath Central Government
Current Assignment: .

Physical Characteristics
Height: 183cm (6'0â€

Everything seems to be in order, I too give me approval. Just, Most Lorath have Pale skin <_< If not all Lorath. How would he have a blueish tint to it?

The technology should be posted in the technology forum for aproval.

We've had long debates on this:

Any technology carried by a character, or augmenting a character has to be approved first.

The history is also really quite ... against what the Thadian faction likes. (On a side note, I made up a cool word: Thadian), in that it is filled with details that should have been RPed out. You have set your character up as a genius, made him the head of a house, exceeding in everything, in addition to giving him every augmentation known to Lorath science.

And none of this was RPed out.

To me, personally, this character is too OP.

Zakalwe said:
The technology should be posted in the technology forum for aproval.

We've had long debates on this:

Any technology carried by a character, or augmenting a character has to be approved first.

Previously there was less formality given to cybernetic augmentations, but since it was dicided (a lot of us being uninformed) I suppose Vesper could go through the motions that a lot of us did not. :?

Zakalwe said:
The history is also really quite ... against what the Thadian faction likes. (On a side note, I made up a cool word: Thadian), in that it is filled with details that should have been RPed out. You have set your character up as a genius, made him the head of a house, exceeding in everything, in addition to giving him every augmentation known to Lorath science.

And none of this was RPed out.

To me, personally, this character is too OP.

The role that he is filling requires such a history, Tiff and I have been in need of a leader for the psionics caste of the Lorath. The role requires superior intelegence, cybernetic augmentations, and a history. Anything less would be a break in plot, and it would not make sense to have a run-of-the-mill scientist in a position of power.

I'd love to be able to help in addressing the issue of history. Unfortunately, it would be near impossible to RP out such a history with our limited number of players.

Keep in mind that you are supposed to be RPing out a storyline, not writing a book. Roleplaying the leaders you need comming into power is far better than just having them appear there.

I agree with Thomas and Zack (who didn't see that coming?). As one of the first Lorath characters, I can understand that some concessions must be made. Typically the first characters of a race are in higher positions than normal, or are more powerful or intelligent. This character seems a bit too extreme though.

A position like this character has really should be achieved through RP. I'd think the best thing for the head of the psionics house would be an NPC at this point, possibly to be replaced later by a PC. If you're set on it though, I can't stop you.

PC can mean player character or power character. Both definitions seem to apply to this character. I think it needs a bit of toning down. So, without further ado, here's what I'd like to see done.

You should probably do at least one of these: lessen the character's intelligence (he can still be smart, even an inventor, just not a human--er, Lorath--computer), lessen his strength and physical augmentations, and/or have him either right below the leader of the psionic house, or just taking over and thus still a little green.

Basically you need to make him less intelligent, less powerful, and/or less experienced. As it is now, your character has a bit too much of each quality. In fact, with all those qualities, there wouldn't be too much of a point to RPing him: if there's nowhere for him to progress, it might as well be an NPC. You can always reduce one of the qualities now, and work on it IC later. Normally I'd say that any changes I suggested were completely optional, but really, something has to give. I'd like to see you reduce all three areas, but if you only reduced one, I'd understand and be cool with it.

It was however, a nice effort, and perfectly fine except for being a bit over-powered. Good luck in changing it, and even if you don't, I hope you have fun playing it.

I agree in theory that the leader's history should be RPed out. I fully agree that the tech should be approved, as it isn't generic or specific. But considering Tiffany and Doc had to make up the leaders to begin with, not RP them out, I don't think it makes sense to NPC that last house's leader. You might as well have PCs playing each house's leader.

But the tech. Yeah. Vesper, we all understand how much you know about physics and what not, as many spirited debates show. But you know better than this. Even though Doc and Tiffany are the GMs of the Lorath plot, you still must get your tech approved by Wes.

Keep in mind, the character is good! A fitting soul for the leader of the tech-builders of Lorath. But it should be noted that the skills mentioned in the original Lorath post are not present here, nor is the descriptors about dress and how it would affect his tentacles and such (the circlet with the lapis lazuli).

=Firstly, as to the longer history, he is leader of one of the four houses ruling a freaking planet. Where we not in a story anyone in such a position would be at the very least middle aged (heck, you can't become a senator till you are 30 years old). You are going to have a history after living 30 years.

=On to overpowered. Let us compare him to certain other creatures that make up the majority of peoples in the SA.
--Does he have built-in anti-gravity generators (or otherwise capable of flying faster than a car)? No
--Can he regrow lost limbs in a matter of hours ("taking as long as 72 hours ")? No
--Can he cloak at will for extended periods of time (or at all)? No
--Does he have the strength of many men? No
--Can he form his crotch into a military grade laser? No

Now, seeing as the above are the traits for a certain race that (as said above) makes up the bulk of the SA (and many characters), the last one being rarer (though still allowed for PCs), I fail to see how my character is overpowered. (also let me emphasis the following quote: "His heavy augmentation ... do[es] not greatly improve his strength.â€

Vesper said:
=On to overpowered. Let us compare him to certain other creatures that make up the majority of peoples in the SA.
--Does he have built-in anti-gravity generators (or otherwise capable of flying faster than a car)? No
--Can he regrow lost limbs in a matter of hours ("taking as long as 72 hours ")? No
--Can he cloak at will for extended periods of time (or at all)? No
--Does he have the strength of many men? No
--Can he form his crotch into a military grade laser? No

And the NH-17 is being phased out, eliminating the third and fourth, and the last one isn't played by a person; they're NPCs. C'mon Vesper, that's the Star Army of Yamatai.

Vesper said:
=On the technology, it was put there for expediencies sake, as such things have been approved in character bios previously.

Generic things, yes, though even that is going by the wayside. You still need to get this stuff approved. Don't make this difficult on yourself man; you're a good player and you know your stuff.

=The fact still stands that many characters still play those races and that one is still allowed to make new ones of those races, so my statement retains its validity.

=I had not noticed the Lorath skills thingy in the CGG previously, he has been changed to fall in line with those skills.

=â€

Reguardless of what it is said the Lorath do not have the tech level of the rest of the universe by simple comparison between technology that has been approved.

Also, you are comparing your character's race with engeneered weapons. It is like saying your normal guy is not over powered in comparison to a tank.

And most importantly, you are simply writing a character for a position. Writing instead of role playing is generally viewed as bad and right now the Lorath need to be looking for more role play rather than just having things written for them.

I'm trying hard to do this without being offensive, even though I am getting a condescending vibe from your posts--whether you mean it or not is another thing.

First: It seems as though this is your first character. And as much as I disagree with the board rank system, you're technically still "enlisted." I know it's a Star Army rank, and frankly I don't much care for that argument either, but someone might.

With the guy's intelligence, history, and augmentations (I grant you the strength argument, I read the bio last night and didn't reply until noon, and I forgot) really no one should be playing this guy, much less a person who hasn't even had a character before. If you have, sorry, but I didn't see it in the forum. Looking past a possible unfair intellectual advantage-- which is realistic, I suppose--you might not even be able to play the character right. Someone would actually have to have 20 majors and degrees or whatever he has to do it right. In fact, now that I think about the strength, didn't one of those augmentations involve putting in a steel skeleton or something? What's the point of that besides increasing endurance? If I'm mistaken, sorry.

Second: The whole "other creatures" thing sounds sort of childish. "They do it, I can too." "They're being phased out." "Doesn't matter." I think we've all realized that nekos are overpowered, and I think that they were being scaled back.

Third: I don't really keep up with how many people there are doing what, but I assume you're talking about people like the OOC creators and IC leaders of the race. Those characters would be created to lead. Their form of advancement is the progression of the Lorath. You, not one of the OOC creators, should really be focused more on making a character who's going to progress himself. Especially since it's your first character, you need to focus on character development instead of racial development. If you want to play it the other way, be my guest, I'm never likely to see your characters unless I join the forsaken Sakura.

Edit: Agree with all of Zack's post, by the way.

No, I did not mean to be condescending or anything, and I will try to make it more obvious in later posts.

=As to the character; I play Soga Suika, who is currently serving aboard the Yukika (within the 5th Expeditionary Fleet). She was approved and assigned to that post on December 18th.

=Your point about his intelligence certainly has merit, but I am fairly certain many of the people on this board do not share the skill set of their characters (otherwise there would be a of allot of engineers and scientists running around, and that does not seem to be the case). This is a general problem with every type of character in any RPG, which would be why almost none of my characters are charismatic (because I know I would have difficult playing such a character properly).

=The last thing Wolf seems much more like your personal opinion on the matter. Just because I am not party to the creation of the species and nation, why can I not take pleasure from its success and pain from its failures? When people play SA characters I am sure they feel happy when it wins battles, yet they have not been party to its overall creation. I do not think a lack of obvious progression will make it less fun to play the character.

Alright, I wanna know the basics of why everyone is arguing over his character. It has been approved, but I wanna make sure everyone knows the reasons behind WHY he was approved.

They're saying he's too smart to be the leader of the Lorath Psionic House, the guys who make everything.

His Bio's too big and detailed about how he came to power as the head of said house.

And his Cybernetic augmentations are apparently too over the top.

More or less... I think.

*shrugs* I say let sleeping dogs lay. Let Tiffany and Doc handle their creation as they please in terms of character approval, especially after the player's gone through what he/she has to for tech and such. Who knows, we might get a threat to the Star Army out of the deal, which would be fun.

Uso Tasuki said:
Wait, when did it get approved?

Look up above, dude. Though the tech's still being argued, the character himself has been given the thumbs up by the two resident Lorath creators.

Star Army policy dictates that the creator (or creators) get to approve a PC from their race, without the consideration of an Admin.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back