• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

$15 Character Artworks from Zairyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember Zairyo, the artist that did tons of early SARP art for us? Well I contacted him today and he's offering us some really sweet prices.

Here's what he sent me:

OK, so as you may have seen, I've been doing full color "sketches" for the past year or so. These are cheaper than the digitally inked counterparts as they are less demanding. (I'm basically jumping over a whole step with this method and the finished piece is quite similar)

Here's a better way to explain it:

First the rough sketch as always: http://i5.minus.com/i39nEfXocNCIO.jpg (rest of the samples are from a different commission, I'm using this one 'cause it's the only one I kept online. Mostly 'cause I like it even though it didn't get a pass)

Second the sketch itself: http://i1.minus.com/iUg4e5XedMyAa.jpg This is ready for color.

Third is base color and basic shading: http://i3.minus.com/ibuJK0KLB91nNF.jpg

And the final piece: http://i3.minus.com/ibwkvtR9o5aOC2.jpg

These are $15 - $20 each based on complexity, don't see Star Army characters being over $15 since I've drawn them before. While that piece has a background, it's just something generic I threw there so there's no extra cost for that kind of background.

If you want one of these, let me know. Here's the info I need:

Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:

IMPORTANT: Please read the following notes from the artist:

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary (like Wes did here https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/...artworks-from-zairyo.16638/page-4#post-243463 ) if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not $15. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

Last edited:
OK I had to drop this to 72dpi so I could upload it, hopefully the illustration details on the rough are still somewhat noticeable. I can't upload everything to minus 'cause it sometimes bugs on me, photobucket is messy and imageshack, which is the one I preferred for years, now charges a fee. Best option for direct reply would be Facebook. So if you have a FB account and are requesting illustrations, feel free to add me to your friendlist. Send me a message first so I know who you are, please include your Star Army username. If not, I'm OK with dropping the images to 72dpi, the final version will be the minus link anyway since Facebook's compression is horrible.

Character: Tanja Dunst

Attachments

• Scan0006b.jpg
    Scan0006b.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 27
That looks amazing. Practically speechless at it. And I love it, I can't wait to see how it looks at the end. (Yes I'm excitable when I see art of my characters)

Reactions: Wes
I've got unlimited storage. :)

Wow, I didn't remember she was an Abwehran until I looked up her bio just now.

The artwork is great. I'm very happy.

Requesting feedback on the palette before adding the final touches. Also I assume the glowy eyes are a must right?

Tanja Dunst base.jpg

Reactions: Wes
Yeah the glowing eyes are a racial trait, it's not a strong glow though, only a faint one. (Their eyes are photo luminescent). As for the pallet I really like it. Just maybe make the pants a shade bluer, and lighten the frame on the goggles so they stand out a little more? It'd be perfect with those thigngs

Don't worry about anything that requires highlights, that's the last part of the process. As for the pants, do you mean more saturated blue or darker blue?

Tanja Dunst base.jpg

Finished version:
ibbzlZo9954BtL.png

Character Name: Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn
Character wiki page URL: wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=characters:yamatai:kel_ryn_ine_dan_ir
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N): Y
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=location:shena_academy#uniforms
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc) Preferably some kind of sprawl, with his cowl untied and just hanging.

Do you want to pay for this commission yourself or are you asking Star Army to buy it for you? I'll pay for it myself.

Freyja Oinari

Scan0010b.jpg

Is this OK?

Also thank you all for all the positive comments and likes, I appreciate it just as much as your requests.

If it wouldn't make it to busy, can the title of that book be: How to get a guy, a Neko's guide to love
?

If not no worries!

PAST THAT IT IS AMAZING!!! SO CUTE!!!! I can't wait to see the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back