• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

$15 Character Artworks from Zairyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember Zairyo, the artist that did tons of early SARP art for us? Well I contacted him today and he's offering us some really sweet prices.

Here's what he sent me:

OK, so as you may have seen, I've been doing full color "sketches" for the past year or so. These are cheaper than the digitally inked counterparts as they are less demanding. (I'm basically jumping over a whole step with this method and the finished piece is quite similar)

Here's a better way to explain it:

First the rough sketch as always: http://i5.minus.com/i39nEfXocNCIO.jpg (rest of the samples are from a different commission, I'm using this one 'cause it's the only one I kept online. Mostly 'cause I like it even though it didn't get a pass)

Second the sketch itself: http://i1.minus.com/iUg4e5XedMyAa.jpg This is ready for color.

Third is base color and basic shading: http://i3.minus.com/ibuJK0KLB91nNF.jpg

And the final piece: http://i3.minus.com/ibwkvtR9o5aOC2.jpg

These are $15 - $20 each based on complexity, don't see Star Army characters being over $15 since I've drawn them before. While that piece has a background, it's just something generic I threw there so there's no extra cost for that kind of background.

If you want one of these, let me know. Here's the info I need:

Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:

IMPORTANT: Please read the following notes from the artist:

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary (like Wes did here https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/...artworks-from-zairyo.16638/page-4#post-243463 ) if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not $15. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

Last edited:
Character Name: Takimori Ronin (Ronin)
Character wiki page URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=characters:yamatai:takimori_ronin
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N): Y
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL: Tanktop, Pants, and the Type 32 Coat
Notes: The pose should be something with either one of his arms pocketed in his coat (which he's modified to fit properly when open and lacks ranking since he's left the Star Army) while giving a greeting sort of salute or him standing with them crossed. The guy is almost always grumpy, so it might help set a "mood" for the ex-soldier's expression a bit.

Who is paying, you or Star Army?: I'd prefer for Star Army to cover it, but if push-comes-to-shove I could foot the bill (any further art for Ronin would have my name on it, though, since it's only fair)

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N): N
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N): N (however, there is art commissioned by someone else currently
How long has this character been actively played?: 2-ish months (I made him and started RPing about a week after I joined, so it should be about that, barring perhaps a week)
Plot Character Is In: 188604
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade: N/A or Unlisted. Didn't spot it on the plot page.

Last edited:
@Legix Star Army doesn't pay for art containing tobacco products.

Okay, cool.

Also, Zairyo contacted me on Facebook and said his PC is out of commission until he is able to acquire a replacement power supply for it. This will result in some delays since he can't make art right now.

Commissions Tracking Post
KEY: Order #, Character Name (Reply #), Payment Status (Person Paying), Order Status
1. Maximillian Keno - PAID (Wes), Completed
2. Tanja Dunst - PAID (Wes), Completed
3. Freyja Oinari - PAID (Wes), Completed
4. Yamashiro Sakura - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
5. Ise Nenene - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
6. Nagato Maki - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
7. Ise Momoka - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
8. Quinn Cathal - PAID (Wes), Completed
9. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
10. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
11. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
12. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
13. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
14. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
15. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - PAID (paladinrpg), Completed
16. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
17. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
18. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
19. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
20. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
21. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
22. Sebestian (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
23. Anabel Ghent (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
24. Jei Hakuna (#254) - PAID (Wes), Completed
25. Aran'ya "Widow" Lycosa Lmanel (#277) - PAID (PaladinRPG), Completed
27. Ji'xa "Bright" Seurik L'manel (#301) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
30. Yumi Matonaka (#323) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
31. Mihral Leko (#324) - PAID (by Aendri, for Syaoran), Completed
33. Truly Venus (#541) - PAID (Wes paying for @Reynolds )
34. Raphael Castiel (#353) - PAID 9/13/16 ( @Gunhand4171 )
35. Skade Masashiga (#545) - PAID 8/28/16 ( @Acewing13 )
36. Yamashiro Natsumi (#399) - PAID ( Wes paying for Gunsight1)
37. Rathe (#428) - not yet paid ( @nite train )
38. Ashtoreth Demir (#455) - not yet paid @cyborgakadjmoose )
39. Freyja Yuuki (#459) - PAID (Wes paying for @ArsenicJohn )
40. Ziara Wyld (#537) - PAID (Wes paying for @TheTechnoVampire )
41. Takimori Ronin (#561), not yet paid (Wes paying for @Legix )

Artworks in queue: 9 (6 paid)

Please no more requests for now until Zairyo gets his PC fixed and gets more caught up.

This post is an update and a rant, will start with the update.

If you've been following this thread then you probably know a little over a month ago I had some issues with a power line blowing up that left me without electricity for a couple of days. (two bible days I called it) What I didn't know at the time was what got damaged during the incident, everything seemed to be working as usual (doesn't mean fine, electricity fluctuates a bit too much here) then while I was working on a couple of commissions (Yumi and others) there was a power outage and my PC turned off. Which meant my UPS didn't do its job, so I learned the hard way that the battery got damaged but the UPS' surge protection was still working. So I kept using it to get the commissions done. Now sometime last week (forgot the day) there was a power surge and not only did I hear it but also could smell how my UPS burned. It protected my PC thank God but after years and years of loyal service, it gave its life for my PC's. I thought I could easily buy another but nope, which leads me to my rant

I think I bought my Tripp Lite UPS around 4 - 5 years ago at Costco, considering its warranty is for 3 yrs I was out of luck on that end. So I looked up on Costco.com to try and find another Tripp Lite models and found out they weren't carrying them anymore. They switched to Cyber Power or whatever the name is. So I read a few reviews (more than a few and in different stores) and found out that some of the models lie about their features, especially the one I needed the most (the surge regulator or AVR as it's commonly known I guess) So OK, I had bought one (Tripp Lite) for my TV at Walmart, perhaps they have some for PCs? checked online and yes they had a couple, went to the store (OK I need you to understand this part, I do not live in the US, we are not treated the same and prices aren't even close to the same, ordering online is out of the question and there's no ship to store option) and nothing, they had a few APCs and Cyber Power but low tier, like for TVs and a bluray player at best. So I figured, well this is a town so perhaps I should go to a city. I went to one of the "biggest" that is closest to where I live and same deal... Those that have me on their Facebook friendlist know that I curse a lot, well... I'm sure I broke a record that day after wasting a trip and gas. "Oh but it's your fault, you should have used the phone"

amedia.tumblr.com_tumblr_mc42de4nTa1r7ge2r.gif

So OK, I'm running out of options here, more than a few days wasted with nothing done thanks to the situation. I contacted Wes around this time then time to talk to my family. Since they live in other places perhaps they have more reliable stores, the first few tries were 404. In fact, it seems every store manager thinks people don't use PCs anymore, they are just nostrils deep in their "smart" phones. Again had to send some more e-mails explaining my delays. Frustration and freaking hot weather lead to more than a few days with a headache, then finally my father contacts me and says he found a good APC at Best Buy. It was a bit more than what I expected to pay but that was my only option and I took it. I finished setting it up this morning (got it last night btw) so I'm finally able to explain to the lot of you what happened. It's not easy living in an island, especially this one, no matter how pretty. (not moving unless I REALLY have to) The situation is very similar to my PC, in 2014 my PC was dying, I managed to fix it while trying to find another one good enough for my needs that had a fair price. Since then it's pretty much on life support, the closest Best Buy had closed and a PC is something you need to buy yourself so I will have to eventually go to one of the 2 Best Buys in the island and see what they have. "Oh but you can build your own" *points to gif*

Good luck with getting things done. Hopefully you got your years worth of tech problems over with.

upload_2016-9-22_13-1-55.png

Suggested changes: Make the collar a little more curved, add pistol belt (secondary strap optional). Move jacket opening so it is a little less centered. Increase mini-skirt length a bit.

OH, I totally missed that! Sorry, carry on then. Removing the pistol belt is a great idea.

Yup, that looks about right! Sorry that this piece is apparently cursed to knock your power out, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back