• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

$15 Character Artworks from Zairyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember Zairyo, the artist that did tons of early SARP art for us? Well I contacted him today and he's offering us some really sweet prices.

Here's what he sent me:

OK, so as you may have seen, I've been doing full color "sketches" for the past year or so. These are cheaper than the digitally inked counterparts as they are less demanding. (I'm basically jumping over a whole step with this method and the finished piece is quite similar)

Here's a better way to explain it:

First the rough sketch as always: http://i5.minus.com/i39nEfXocNCIO.jpg (rest of the samples are from a different commission, I'm using this one 'cause it's the only one I kept online. Mostly 'cause I like it even though it didn't get a pass)

Second the sketch itself: http://i1.minus.com/iUg4e5XedMyAa.jpg This is ready for color.

Third is base color and basic shading: http://i3.minus.com/ibuJK0KLB91nNF.jpg

And the final piece: http://i3.minus.com/ibwkvtR9o5aOC2.jpg

These are $15 - $20 each based on complexity, don't see Star Army characters being over $15 since I've drawn them before. While that piece has a background, it's just something generic I threw there so there's no extra cost for that kind of background.

If you want one of these, let me know. Here's the info I need:

Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:

IMPORTANT: Please read the following notes from the artist:

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary (like Wes did here https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/...artworks-from-zairyo.16638/page-4#post-243463 ) if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not $15. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

Last edited:
It's long been the case that Neko have had block-like, or symmetrical 'genetic tattoos' on their faces to distinguish very similar-looking Nekovalkyrja. Although I get the impression this is no longer common practice, if a nekovalkyrja were to exist with polka dot genetic tattoos, there is both precedent and remarkable flexibility in this regard for that appearance.

Even if they were not genetic tattoos, it's easily accomplished through holography. I was under the impression that, off-screen, nekovalkyrja used this to do everything from changing hair color to giving themselves strobe light tattoos.

Nothing about Nekovalkyrja is natural. They are, by definition, produced war machines. The fact that they even look vaguely human at all stems from Yamatai's 38-some-odd-year-old propensities for making monstrosities that look like we do, talk like we do, and walk with a bit more sexy hip sway.

Please remember that, considering you're critiquing artwork that another user likes, artwork that's already been stated to be very true to the user's actual character, that you're also by proxy criticizing that person's choice of character appearance. It might not be in your preference, but it's apparently been part of their character for long enough they've had it done into the artwork, so have some class please. It could easily be misconstrued if you read it in a certain way.

I see no problem with this artwork.

Regarding skin color, I've added a note that skin colors should be solid color (without patterns) to the Nekovalkyrja NH-33 page and to the Nekovalkyrja creation guide. Skade Masashiga and other Nekovalkyrja with skin patterns who already exist are grandfathered in, but this should help prevent this issue occurring with new characters from this point forward. Note this doesn't apply to fur patterns or traditional style Nekovalkyrja facial tattoos.

I'd appreciate it if we kept this thread focused on Zairyo's art commissions. If you'd like to discuss Nekovalkyrja appearances further, please start a new thread.

The dots, spots, whatevers can be easily removed. I made them in their own layer for a reason, mostly 'cause it's quite common to have an idea that until we see it executed we can't see how unpractical it actually is. (not bashing on you Ace, we like what we like, that's how it is) In Ace's defense though, I was given a bit of liberty on certain things but I didn't take them, I wanted to go Asari blue and the polka dots would have been freckles. But that would be too Liara so I opted against it and went with what requested. And symmetric circular patterns on the face rarely look good, so I tried what you saw.

@Acewing13 you decide which one to go with of all 3 of them that follow SA's rules of course.

For future reference though, small things like the spots or maybe a color tone change can be done/altered even after the image has been finished. A total color change might not be possible though but if it's just the saturation or within its family (cold or hot) then it should be fine. (as long as I only alter the base colors not the shadow map) AND if it's not a regular request, I did it in this case mostly 'cause it wasn't even requested.

Skade Masashiga2.png Skade Masashiga3.png

All three look great, but I freely adit the Asari scheme amuses me to no end. I'm under the impression the first is the most true to the character though, and what Arc likes, which is what matters the most.

First off, no worries Zairyo, I should have been more detailed in what I wanted. Second, I admit that the two later pictures look better, especially with the extra line work he did (You notice the little things when you're rapidly switching between tabs). Third, out of these three pictures, I'd still pick the first one, for RP reasons.

So, I was wondering if you weren't sick of working on this Zairyo, if you could try leopard spots instead of dots? I would like to stick with the original shade of blue, but if you want to try a different shade, could we go in between the two shades you have in the last two versions? I was given a reference picture if you're up for it. (though the shade of blue is a little too bright, too much green, and no idea how much is usable, I've never used any art software except for Windows Paint)

Thank you for your patience.

Commissions Tracking Post
KEY: Order #, Character Name (Reply #), Payment Status (Person Paying), Order Status
1. Maximillian Keno - PAID (Wes), Completed
2. Tanja Dunst - PAID (Wes), Completed
3. Freyja Oinari - PAID (Wes), Completed
4. Yamashiro Sakura - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
5. Ise Nenene - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
6. Nagato Maki - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
7. Ise Momoka - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
8. Quinn Cathal - PAID (Wes), Completed
9. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
10. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
11. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
12. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
13. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
14. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
15. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - PAID (paladinrpg), Completed
16. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
17. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
18. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
19. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
20. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
21. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
22. Sebestian (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
23. Anabel Ghent (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
24. Jei Hakuna (#254) - PAID (Wes), Completed
25. Aran'ya "Widow" Lycosa Lmanel (#277) - PAID (PaladinRPG), Completed
27. Ji'xa "Bright" Seurik L'manel (#301) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
30. Yumi Matonaka (#323) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
31. Mihral Leko (#324) - PAID (by Aendri, for Syaoran), Completed
33. Truly Venus (#541) - PAID (Wes paying for Reynolds ), Completed
34. Raphael Castiel (#353) - PAID 9/13/16 ( Gunhand4171 ), Completed
35. Skade Masashiga (#545) - PAID 8/28/16 ( Acewing13 ), Completed
36. Yamashiro Natsumi (#399) - PAID ( Wes paying for Gunsight1)
37. Rathe (#428) - not yet paid ( @nite train )
38. Ashtoreth Demir (#455) - not yet paid @cyborgakadjmoose )
39. Freyja Yuuki (#459) - PAID (Wes paying for @ArsenicJohn )
40. Ziara Wyld (#537) - PAID (Wes paying for @TheTechnoVampire )
41. Takimori Ronin (#561), not yet paid (Wes paying for @Legix )

Artworks in queue: 6 (3 paid)

Pinging @Gunsight1 so he sees his new art.

---

Commissions Tracking Post
KEY: Order #, Character Name (Reply #), Payment Status (Person Paying), Order Status
1. Maximillian Keno - PAID (Wes), Completed
2. Tanja Dunst - PAID (Wes), Completed
3. Freyja Oinari - PAID (Wes), Completed
4. Yamashiro Sakura - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
5. Ise Nenene - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
6. Nagato Maki - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
7. Ise Momoka - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
8. Quinn Cathal - PAID (Wes), Completed
9. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
10. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
11. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
12. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
13. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
14. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes), Completed
15. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - PAID (paladinrpg), Completed
16. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
17. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes), Completed
18. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - PAID (Aendri), Completed
19. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
20. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba), Completed
21. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
22. Sebestian (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
23. Anabel Ghent (#253) - PAID (Archander), Completed
24. Jei Hakuna (#254) - PAID (Wes), Completed
25. Aran'ya "Widow" Lycosa Lmanel (#277) - PAID (PaladinRPG), Completed
27. Ji'xa "Bright" Seurik L'manel (#301) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
30. Yumi Matonaka (#323) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
31. Mihral Leko (#324) - PAID (by Aendri, for Syaoran), Completed
33. Truly Venus (#541) - PAID (Wes paying for Reynolds ), Completed
34. Raphael Castiel (#353) - PAID 9/13/16 ( Gunhand4171 ), Completed
35. Skade Masashiga (#545) - PAID 8/28/16 ( Acewing13 ), Completed
36. Yamashiro Natsumi (#399) - PAID ( Wes paying for Gunsight1), Sketched
37. CANCELED
38. Ashtoreth Demir (#455) - not yet paid @cyborgakadjmoose )
39. Freyja Yuuki (#459) - PAID (Wes paying for @ArsenicJohn )
40. Ziara Wyld (#537) - PAID (Wes paying for @TheTechnoVampire )
41. Takimori Ronin (#561), not yet paid (Wes paying for @Legix )
42. (reserved for Wes - uniform example)
43. (reserved for Wes - uniform example)
44. (reserved for Wes - uniform example)

Artworks in queue: 6 (3 paid)

I'm cancelling #37 because nite train hasn't been on the forum since April.

Also I have some some uniforms that need art so I'm reserving a few slots - more details to follow, but it's basically going to be some military-looking Nekovalkyrja in:
  1. Utility uniform
  2. Bodysuit with jika-tabi and a jacket on top
  3. In the rain wearing a poncho

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back