• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [188604] 16c: The Storm (Dr. Hardbody)

Z

Zack

ON> Main Hospital, Osman City Ragna-City

Josward tried to keep up the pace as best he could... but he was only human, and only about half the size of Rip, which meant that even at a brisk walk it would feel like he was taking his time,

"So what's it like out there?" He asked, "I suppose I've heard a little about who is out there... but not a whole lot about where you guys come from. Does everyone fly about in those fancy armors?"

"No, these are military issue mostly, a lot of people just walk on their own two feet or use specialized vehicles to move about, you can carry more stuff with them more easily, and our infrastructure is set up for it. Powered Armor is when you need a lot of versatility or armaments as well. I can tell you a bit more about where I'm from if you like over drinks," he said as they walked to the hospital.

It wouldn't be long before the hospital would come into view either. The stench of death was certainly upon it, there were wagons being loaded with the dead outside of the structure, a building only about a floor taller than everything else around it, made of a heavily rusted metal that was covered by wooden planks. The walls all seemed to slope inward slightly, making the entire structure look a bit like the bottom of an unfinished pyramid. There were additional bodies outside of the door which had been propped open with a heavy rock, and he could see right through the structure out to the other side, a long hallway leading all the way to an exit on the other side.

Rip sighed, and began to activate the protocols to slip out of the powered armor he was in, the chassis and various functions unfolding around him, and letting all 9 feet of him out. He raised his mechanical arm up to his neck and twisted a crick out of it, before reaching for the medical kit on the side and pulling it free. Pulling open his datajockey, he called to Uso, "Uso, I've got the basic supplies to do Triage, but please see to it that the rest of my medical supplies are dropped off at my current location, preferably outside. I've got my power armor on lock down just outside and looking all menacing, so I doubt anybody will try anything. Just tell me when it arrives, though I'll probably hear it." He slipped the Datajockey back into one pocket and turned back to Josward, "Do you know who is in charge here? I need to speak with them before I just charge in and begin my work. I don't want to cause issues."

"This sounds like something Cyrus should be doing... CYRUS!!! CYRU..." Uso's transmission cut out as she yelled for her Ragna-wrangler to deal witht he medical issue. Meanwhile Josward would be waiting patiently for Rip to get out of his armor.

"That arm," He asked, as he looked around. "Is it like your armor?" The hospital itself seemed to have a few nurses running around, but there didn't seem to be anyone that looked doctor-like. "... as for who is in charge... uh.... I guess I will need to ask... Maybe wait here a moment?"

He would hurry off, chasing down one of the nurses carrying a soldier that was missing a leg... and after a few brief moments talking he'd run on back.

"So, it looks like the doctor in charge ended up exploded during the fires in the city. Everyone sorta has their jobs but there isn't anyone running the place..."

Rip pinched the bridge his nose, "alright then, bring me to the most senior member of the staff, I'll start working with them," he was already moving as he said this, he pulled out his datajockey, the one with the library of treatments, and pulled a line from his arm's medical module, plugging the hardline connection directly into the datajockey as he passed by still living patients. The AI within would begin taking the information provided by his eyes, cataloging patients, gaining information on them from visuals, cataloging it steadily, each patient receiving an AR designation in Rip's sight and coloring and prioritizing them based upon standard triage. "As for my arm, no, it's not armor. I lost it in a car accident. Funny really, I've been nearly blown to hell god knows how many times and I actually lose everything below my left elbow because some jackass wasn't paying attention to the road." he stretched it, turning to look at Josward, "I had the boss ship a few hundred much lower grade prosthesis, things that'll help people get back to their lives with a little rehab, once we've gotten people STABILIZED here, I'll be not only helping install these on people who want them, but teaching your own medics and doctors and nurses to preform the same surgery over time."

"So... Are they going to be able to do that too?" He asked, pointing to the cables and the data jockey. "And uh... excuse me for a moment."

Josward would make his way around the hospital, rounding up a few of the people working there, a mix of two male and three female nurses showing up with him once he had finished the rounds,

"These are the most senior staff... and they have asked me to inform you that while the respect your authority... they uh... are quite busy..."

"I understand," he nodded to them, "I won't keep you long, but I wanted to know where your worst cases were? The ones you might normally write off? I don't mean those who won't survive unless you could entirely replace the missing organ, but if they're missing a limb, or just have grievous infection or similar, those people I can get to helping immediately. I'm having advanced medicinal supplies delivered presently, I'm going to be using them, and I'm going to be teaching you how to use them as we go. That's all we need to talk about right now." As he said this, he rolled up his sleeves to beyond both massive elbows, and then looked to the senior staff. He wanted to ease into this, he wanted to see their own medical proficiency and how well they could tirage patients when given the parameters he set. This would let him know the limits of their own medical knowledge, their own experience, and a wealth of other information. "Now, let's get down to work. Lead the way."

Those in front of Rip were just looking up at him, half exhausted, half stunned at dealing with a human nearly twice their height,

"Well... We have a few nasty gut-shots." One of them said, the nurse turning towards the outdoor areas. "Come this way..."

It wasn't hard to find the worst cases, most had been written off and left outside, a series of soldiers in blue and grey that had gut-shot injuries. The battle had been a while ago... and these men had been dieing slowly for weeks... much of their stomachs having turned green with rot, but not quite having died yet. Most had already passed out, many would not be waking up again.

Rip sighed, this was bad, but not as bad as it could be, his eyes flickered once as they went into scanning modes, and he started to triage cases. A good half of them, any who had gone entirely septic, were entirely lost. He thanked the foresight of asking Uso for additional medical supplies and bringing along the additional basic painkillers. Their internal organs would need to be replaced, all he could do is make their going more painless, in those cases of those who had not already passed out. To those who had not, he administers a dosage of Klempsomorphirine, dulling the pain for them, and leaving them in their daze. To the next series, those who required the least work, he first injected Klempsomorphirine from his neplesilian medical kit, his arm ratcheting open with the injector and then pumping the drug into their vein precisely over the affected area, then next came out the laser scalpel, cutting into them and beginning to cut away the small areas of effected tissue, cleansing away the small areas of tissue that had gone septic, or sealing blood vessels in preparation for what came next.

Next he pulled the NAM NCS Hypolathe out of his medical kit, and began tissue reconstruction of the damaged internal organs, focusing around getting them serviceable and to the point where they would heal themselves, conserving the nanites inside of the Hypolathe as much as possible, before returning to usage of his laser scalpel, or to the suturing tools installed in his arm, to cleanly seal closed the wound. Within minutes he had finished with the first case, and began moving onto the second, then third, and so on. Losing track of time as he went from case to case, occasionally asking for supplies they had locally, describing the effects he needed, and inquiring about application and side effects from whoever was around to ask.

For those soldiers who upon opening up found the damage worse than it had been apparent to his cyber-eyes, he did his best to ease them on, or reordered them. He went from those who needed immediate attention, and could be healed the fastest, to those who needed immediate attention and would take the longest amount of time. Then to those who were in less severe condition, and so on and so forth, repairing their damage, getting fluids down them, using Droksin on a few who were suffering from blood loss, though he had only four such auto injectors until the medical supplies were delivered.

The work got progressively messier, and he had them bring him water, boiled, as often as possible, both to clean his own hands and instruments, often dipping his hands directly into the still nearly boiling water and scrubbing them before having them pour the stuff out, making it clear the blood dirtied water was to be poured away from wherever it might be in danger of leaking into drinking water supplies, and continuing his work. An observer might note that the tools in his arm seemed to never stay bloody for long, but instead any blood or fluids on them inevitable 'evaporated' mysteriously, as if the arm itself was simply being cleaning the tools with tiny invisible hands. In truth it was the nanetic cleaning system within the tools that kept them free of foreign, especially organic, matter when not in direct use such as during an injection.

The nurses at the hospital didn't seem to question what Rip was up to, they certainly hadn't seen tools like what he had available... and the surgeries that he was preforming were far more invasive than what they had expected. Of course, they were also too busy to watch him for long but there always seemed to be at least two ore three people who managed to find time from the rounds to observe what Rip was doing. They didn't speak to him much either, though as they watched the results of his first few surgeries, the towels and the water would start coming to him faster and more efficiently. A silent understanding forming between those that were at this hospital, and the new comer from the stars.

Then a loud rumble would fill the entire building, the Queen's slave moving to over over the area as the pilot looked for a spot.

"HEY! Doctor Hardbody!"

Ivory was using the all hands channel to get ahold of him. Uso's personal medical officer... though she hadn't yet gone outside of the ships aside from a few ventures with Ragnarok people closely watching her,

"There doesn't seem to be a place where we can set down without crushing something... and I don't want to just drop this stuff from here. I can get your gear to the rear loading door and have it ready for you to fly down... I think the pilot can get us just a few meters up from the ground so it shouldn't be that bad."

Rip turned his attention away from his latest patient, sewing up the last few sutures and cleaning the outside of the wound, he turned to those who had been helping him, finishing off an explanation of the necessary post-surgery treatment, "He'll wake up in a lot of pain, we don't have the painkillers necessary, yet, and what we do have will need to be rationed for the moment. If he wasn't already completely passed out from the pain, what little pain killers I had wouldn't have been effective. We can begin moving onto other folks now," he started walking, talking to both sets of people, "I need as much room as you can get under a guard and cleared, your own medical storage rooms preferably, you have them right? I doubt you put anyone in them given the nature of such rooms, but I'll be helping bring down supplies, I'll tell you what the nature of them is, and I need you to work with me to store them," he continued as he walked through the hospital back to his armor, beginning to patch into it and looking for the shuttle that was bringing the supplies in. "This stuff is valuable, as I'm sure you can guess, but without the know how to use them, they'll just get a lot of people hurt if they're stolen, so it's necessary that you keep them under guard wherever you put them." he nods to them, taking off, having been talking into the radio as well to Ivory.

"Sounds like a good, moving to begin moving stuff down, already started some good will building exercises just healing those who could be with gut wounds. Might be able to save a few more with these now."

"Sorry... I would be down there but...." Ivory motioned towards one of the Ragna-guards standing near her, "We're running short on power armors thanks to the incident with Ace, and Uso has forbid me from leaving the ship without one... How is it going down there?"

The guard that was watching Ivory move the crates of materials towards the back area of the ship for unloading was keeping his eyes on her intently. Uso had threatened him with a very punchy death if Ivory got hurt, so he was focusing on his job.

Meanwhile the workers inside the hospital were doing their best to free up some spare room. Just about everywhere was filled with injured still, though Rip's activities had cleared a few spaces here and there. The nurses setting out to the task of consolidating people out of one of the rooms to make space.

"Slow, but we're getting things done. I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of coming down without power armor," he said as he continued the unloading process. "Things down here are bad, I mean, there's going to be a lot of maimed folks, I'm glad I asked for so many prefabbed prosthetic limbs, a lot of these people will be in trouble. I think I can save almost all of the remaining folks with gut-shot wounds though, we'll begin moving onto other stuff as well." He continued to unload as he went to the last set of stuff, this one he'd chosen to be last for a very specific reason.

He gathered up the nurses at this point, offering up the first of the hyposyringes, a small pen sized device, each loaded with a single shot of a general antibiotic and system purifier nanosystem. "This is an antibiotic, I don't know if you've invented this yet, and I apologize if I'm condescending, but we don't have time for me to play 20 questions with you folks." He said, "Each patient in the hospital gets ONE of these. Apply them to the major artery in the arm, or the leg if they are missing that, failing either, then the neck." He looked around, "Please, be very careful not to apply multiple such devices to the same person. This will clear out bacterial infections in them, but then their own bodies will attack the antibiotic and clear it out before it can damage the benign bacteria inside of their bodies. This is not a guarantee against them getting sick or infected from their wounds, and once applied, they still need to have their bandages cleaned and changed regularly. Part of the supplies you brought in are going to be anti-bacterial material forged surgery tools, wound dressing, and similar. They don't let microbial life, that is to say, bacteria and germs, live on them, so they're much easier to keep clean. We'll start distributing those shortly, but first start getting these out to the patients, we can probably head off the worst cases of infection and disease right now if we get to work immediately."

What he had just described would have been a miracle cure all in a similar time period of other planets. Antibiotics were not a common thing at this level of technology most of the time, and bacterial infection, as opposed to viral infection, was always far worse of a risk on alien planets. Making full spectrum antibiotics that gave the bacteria almost no chance to adapt to them had been essential to the expansion of humanity across the stars. Viral infections that were cross colony were important too, but viral diseases had been almost entirely eradicated in many places, and decontamination routines on this sort of trip were stringent and harsh. No point in making first contact if you were going to wipe out 90% of the population in a pandemic you brought along.

"Not a chance. Uso said she'd literally kill us if we let her go out without a power armor." The guard said that was watching her, "... I think she'll do it to."

Ivory huffed, "I can't play doctor from up here though..."

"That... really isn't my problem." The guard replied sternly.

The nurses would do as instructed, taking the injectors and then splitting the hospital up among themselves to determine just how they were all going to inject everyone.

"Tell Uso that I'll take full responsibility for it. She wants to kill somebody, she can try to kill me if Ms. Ivory has so much as a hair misplaced on her head. I need the assistance down here from someone who can help teach the use of this equipment." He said it as he helped haul two entire creates under each massive arm into the building, ducking down low and moving with exacting care and precision. He then took the most senior looking nurse, and began working with them on which bits of surgery equipment they were most familiar with, focusing on the nonmechanical or advanced stuff for the moment.

"Now I know things have to move fast, but it's critical you clean off the instruments after you finish up on one patient, it's best of all if you clean them up before moving to different WOUNDS on the same patient. What is infecting one wound, may not yet have infected a different one, and again, stop me if you know these protocols already, I'm just moving fast. This stuff will keep itself clean of bacteria and infection, but that won't help the patient if you don't clean off fluids and grime from the tools themselves after each use." He was starting them off on tools they knew and understood, that would give them an immediate return on effectiveness. Scalpels and saws that didn't lose their edge, and we far lighter and easier to use, and other anti-bacterial medical devices. "We focus on saving as many lives as we can NOW, when we've gotten people out of the worst of this, we'll start on distributing training materials and doing exams on using the more advanced stuff."

He looks closely at the senior nurse. "Excuse me, I just realized... in all the excitement, I never got your name,"

The nurse looked up at the doctor for a moment, staying still quite a while before answering,

"I suppose we have to deal with you at some point..." She admitted, having the rest of the nurses head back out into the hospital, "I'm Serza. I have been a nurse here for nearly four years, and I think we're all just as afraid as anyone that we're going to get blown up by you space-men, 'cept we have a lot of injured and dieing people here that we have to take care of, so we can't exactly hide in our homes and hope that this all blows over.

I think we were all expecting you to start cutting people up or making monsters like in the stories of monster from beyond... but. It seems like what you are doing his helping, and if you say that these injections will help, then perhaps we should trust you a bit.

I am sure you space-men do this all the time, but it is our first encounter with creatures not of this planet." She explained.

Meanwhile Ivory was considering jumping down, when she saw a rising brown cloud on the horizon,

"Um... Dr. Rip! I think a storm is coming!" She shouted from her spot up above on the loading ramp of the ship floating overhead, her guard desperate to keep her onboard the ship, holding tightly to her arm.

Serza didn't waste any time, she'd run towards the hospital wall and quickly climb up to the top, ".... SANDSTORM COMING! WE NEED TO GET EVERYONE INSIDE!" She shouted, causing the people in the streets to scatter as the remaining nurses quickly started to get the hospital ready for the storm... bringing those who were still alive inside, while others started placing special blankets over the walls to help blunt the impact of the storm itself.

Rip wasted no time, he began to move fast and quickly, picking up entire pallets with a care and precision that could only come from daily jazzercize routines (amongst other things) and bringing in a pallet in each arm before carefully putting them down. From there he starts taking what he can, using his cybernetic arm and a supply of various other field medic station supplies. From the thick tarps and pitons used for setting up tent materials, climbing up carefully onto the building walls itself, helping batton down windows and shutters against sandy intrusion from various angles.

The city around them also seemed far more active than it had before. There were certainly others padding the buildings with blankets, and covering what few holes or slits remained in the wood and stone. There also was suddenly a lot more wagons around the town, moving about, some heading towards the palace. The guard with Ivory also pulled her back inside and closed the door... no way he was going to let her out in that!

"I Uh... suppose this is going to be your first storm?" Serza asked.

"On this planet," He said, digging in his pocket and pulling a cigar out, glaring at it, then putting it back. "No place to be smoking, you don't have the air filters to make it unobtrusive to the patients yet," He said, gritting his teeth as he pulled out his pad. "Anyway, I've been in sand storms before. They can get pretty nasty. One planet I was on would strip the paint off of the armor we wear, and the biggest danger wasn't being caught out in the open without armor so much as being burred alive in your armor, a couple tons of sand will slow even the heaviest duty armor down... any munitions you'd use to break free would go off too close to the armor and kill ya, or glass the sand and keep you trapped like a fly in sap." He begins to move slowly, carefully about, "anyway, question for you. How do you deal with your dead? Burial? Cremation?" He asked, not really wanting to go down this line of inquiry, but knowing it would be necessary.

"We leave them on top of the hospital." She said, "Bodies don't stay burred to well here, and dumping them in the water makes us kinda iffy about eating the algaiea that comes from it... so we leave them on the roof right before a storm. Usually most of the flesh gets stripped off." She explained. "Liquids and such inside the body tend to get pulled away by the sand or it all kinda gets turned into mud. What is left over is a lot easier to bury."

"Would any of the dying or dead be adverse to giving up their bodies for medical science?" He asked, waiting for her inevitable horrified expression, no doubt worrying about the patchwork monsters thing she had mentioned before, "No, I don't want to use the bodies for arcane or alien experiments, I need teaching materials. I don't want to requisition any bodies, or force anyone's family to give them up, but if I'm going to be teaching you folks how to use advanced medical devices and techniques, then I need to have cadavers to practice on. The bodies will end up mutilated before it's all done, but they won't be treated with disrespect, or used for anything other than teaching purposes." he holds up his own mechanical arm. "I'm sure that everyone will be far happier if your people get practice grafting on cybernetics to cadavers rather than practicing on living patients." he maintains eye contact with the woman, moving to a full sitiing position so that his massive bulk is less intimidating as he holds eye contact. "I'm not here to set up an empire, or my own personal wants and desires. I'm here to set up a foundation for you folks to carry yourselves to the stars, and part of that means reducing your avoidable death rate by teaching you not only how to use the tools I use, but also the techniques your OWN medical base can maintain." He thinks for a moment, "Also jazzercize. But that'll mostly be for those folks who need to undergo a rehabilitation period following cybernetics grafts or prolonged bed rest."

"I mean... sure I guess... I don't think they are using them anymore." She laughed a bit at her own gallows humor. "..... but, does that mean we will have the same sort of abilities as you? I mean, if we choose to have these Cybernetics and Jazzercize grafted to our bodies?"

As the storm approached, most people were starting to get fully indoors, though there were a few covered wagons passing by in the street... Though once they passed Rip they would come to a stop and a small group of men would get out, dressed in heavy protective gear, "Ma'am... do you need any help getting ready for the storm?" One of them asked, as the other four went and stood by the doorway of the hospital to get some protection from the steadily increasing winds.

"No, see, I wasn't born like you and most other people here were born Ms. Serza" Rip said as he moved to put himself more clearly in the way of any openings as the sand storm began to approach. He raised his voice to be heard as he continued, "I was basically grown in a jar, I was made to be a soldier. My body was designed by our technology to be this massive and this tough. You can't get as big and strong as me without a lot more than cybernetics." He shrugged, tapping next to one luminous eye, "You can, however, increase your own abilities. Jazzercise is just about keeping healthy, it won't make you physically stronger on its own. And cybernetics also come with disadvantages, your own body will repair itself more or less with enough time, a prosthetic can be expensive to maintain, especially if you get a higher end one that enhances human abilities rather than just meets them."

Rip stared down at the nurse, the golden pupils meeting her own eyes and ratcheting a bit as the focus is adjusted. "My eyes were my choice to swap out from my natural ones. My arm? Well, I could have gotten a vat grown arm, had it attached to me, but that's very expensive where I come from, and I wanted the extra utility this one provides." He extends the arm out from where it will hit anyone, and demonstrates as the underside cartridge unfolds into various tools one by one. "It took me years to get used to it, because the connections have to be rebuilt in the mind. You start off with training simulations to get basic utility, for example, I used to have to think of a red spinning triangle to make my hand open like this" he demonstrates by opening his hand, "As time went on, and it became more and more natural for me to utilize this function, it became easier to use it naturally." He gestures to his eyes again, "Thankfully, eye movement involves a lot less conscious decision making to look about, so I didn't have to go through the training exercises to use these as well." he shrugs, "Same goes for a lot of prosthetics and cybernetics, if whatever they are replacing or upgrading is something you do unconsciously, like say, the beating of your heart, breathing in and out, digesting food, those cybernetics are the easiest to adapt too, the more conscious control you have over a thing, the more adaptation time, rehabilitation, and training you need." Rip smiles winningly, his face becoming laced with smile lines, "So yes, you can get STRONGER using cybernetics, but they aren't some magic power up. They still require hard work, dedication, and training to use, and the more alien they are to your natural abilities, the more they improve on your natural abilities, the more such training that'll require." He settles back down, no longer gesticulating or in his teacher mode anymore. "I run a clinic specifically for cybernetics back home," the large Nepleslian said with an abashed expression, "I'm used to monologuing about it to new patients or those seeking an upgrade. But does that answer your question Ms. Serza?"

The man who had come up to them, didn't seem to mind being ignored, but he certainly stuck around as if waiting for something, "Sounds like these upgrades would be necessary to function in your world? Are there people who just avoid them altogether? I mean, I feel like it would be hard for me to get a job on your world doing the same kinda work we do here... I know a lot of people are wondering that same kinda thing, what is our role in all this?" She asked.

"No, they're not mandatory. They're just common place in Neplesia, and in a lot of other places, but they aren't mandatory to compete or act. Technology is very advanced, and really? I could give you a gauntlet that would do everything my own prosthetic would do. You could get a job in my clinic using those tools and preform just as well as me once you knew how to use them. That's what I'm doing here, teaching you to use things like what's built into my prosthetic. As for your role in all this?" He pauses to think, obviously giving it thought, not wanting to give a bad impression of himself or what he intended to do here, "I don't know what the rest of the crew here thinks it is, and I don't think it's my BUSINESS what it is. My job isn't to decide what you guys should and shouldn't do, except that I don't think you should go around hurting and invading others once we give you these shiny new toys and teach you how to use them. I think that after that, it'll be YOUR choice, as a planet, what to do with them and what your role is." he shrugs, trying to think of a good analogy "think of it this way, you go to a school right? You don't expect the students to have a 'role' in it except to learn, and then when they graduate, they make their own roles in life right? It's like that. Once I teach you how to use this technology, and see to it that you understand the science, and have the ability to produce these things and replicate them? Then MY role ends as your teacher. I'm not here to tell people what to do exactly, I'm here to improve your quality of lif-" he turns and looks to the hovering man, "Yes, can I help you?" He looks confusedly at the man, but not unfriendly, his armored visor up as he smiled.

Josward was still nearby, and he would come back out from the hopsital and freeze, "Uh.... Rip.... can I have a moment?" He asked, looking at the group of men standing around.

But before anything else could happen, a red flare would go up from near the mountain. The man closest to Serza would pull her aside, leaving Rip wide open as the remaining men standing by the hospital would pulled out shotguns from under their heavy coats.

*BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM!!!!*

A hail of metal shards from the spacer craft would slam against Rip's armor, cutting through the sheilds and scratching up much of the armored surface, small sliver like penitrations showing up around the joints and other weak points... though the shotguns weren't powerful enough to damage the armor with one or two shots... a couple dozen quickly ate away at his protection!

"STICKIES!" One of the soldiers then yelled out, the men following up their attacks by throwing bottles of sticky black tar towards Rip.

His left power armored arm immediately sealed up once more and his visor came down with a thunk just as the metal shards impacted, he wouldn't have been DEAD probably, even if the stuff was hard, it was only propelled with so much force, and an ID-SOL was designed to take far higher caliber bullets in stride. These had to be blunder busts, how else could they be firing shards of starship metal at him. As the stickies flew at him, he raised his forearm shield, catching the bottles on it as he turns his shield to the side, forcing the splash to hit against a nearby wall. He knew what would happen next if he could guess. Even if the substance had ignited immediately, almost none of it would hit his chest, thus allowing the two laser focusing lenses mounted on the upper chest to use his height advantage to drill quick, precise holes through the hands of each of his assailants in turn, starting with those who looked closest to trying to ignite the sticky black tar if it hadn't already, and simply moving from right to left if they didn't. If they were especially unluck or jerked at exactly the wrong time, the lasers might cut a straight line through their hands, cauterizing the wounds in the process. There would be no blood, but there would be EXCRUTIATING levels of pain as coherent light tended to have an adverse effect on the health of tissue, muscle, and bone.

There were loud screams of pain as hands were removed from bodies, men doubling over in pain, three of the men now missing hands as the other two took cover inside of the hospital.

*CLICK*

Josward leveled his revolver at one of the remaining men from behind, "I GOT THESE ONES!" He shouted, telling them just how still they should stay if they wanted to keep their brains inside of their heads.

This left just one soldier left, who ended up moving himself behind serza and doing his best to keep hidden behind her, "Get out of the armor or I kill her!" He shouted, pulling a revolver from under his coat and keeping it pressed against her back.

Rip slowly moved his hands up, "Alright sir, take it easy, I'm getting out of the armor, I need to adjust my position though, safety feature and just how the armor is made alright?" He slowly moved his hands back down, sliding them down to his hips. Under the armor he wore his holster with his HHG pistol. It was big, but he was very, VERY practiced with it's usage, and knew how to fire from the hip. More importantly, it was loaded with anesthetic-tranq rounds and already set to mass-driver mode rather than hybrid or chemical fire mode." As the armor opened slowly, he moved his right hand out of the armored arm at exactly the same moment the armor over his hip opened. He didn't hesitate, there would be no noise, no flash, except for a brief rising and falling hum as the mass driver fired off in rapid selection. He fired an even spread, the first one hit Serza and splashed over her clothing, the second and fourth shots missed entirely, splattering on the walls behind the man. The third round however hit him directly in the face. The specialized glass shattered and turned to dust immediately upon the impact, and the skin-absorbent tranquilizer would sink immediately into his skin and then shut down his motor control, forcing his entire body to relax rather than tense, ensuring that the gun in his hand wouldn't go off.

He moved over to Serza calling out, "She's perfectly fine, I used tranquilizer rounds" so that everyone else could hear. He kept his body relatively low and moved slowly, afraid of someone still waiting around to ambush him now he was out of the armor. He pulled Serza carefully and delicately, as she would also be limb from the tranquilizer, if still concious. Shutting down the consciousness was a dangerous thing, and any tranquilizer that did so risked killing the patient, so he used the rounds that simply shut off motor control. "You are fine Serza, you have not been shot or wounded," he said in a clear, authoritative voice, "I used a nonlethal, non-damaging round. Your clothing will be bleached where the round struck, but your body will shake it off in 30 minutes. I don't have the antidote on me, and mixing it would require me to spend 30 minutes digging through the supplies we dropped off anyway. I'm going to prop you up against the wall here, your vocal cords should still work, just not your mouth or tongue. I'll stay close enough to hear you if you give a grunt okay?" He keeps his eyes focused on her own, eyelids and eye motion would be the least effected, as would very small motor control skills like twitching fingers at this point, though she would still be numb all over. "Blink if you understand me alright? Even a tumble like yours, if you can't take a fall, could have hurt your head, so I need to know you're alright."

He waited for her to blink before proping her gently propping her by the wall, and moving to treat the hands of the other assailants, putting a tranq round into each of them as he approached them.

"glblluuuuhhhhh....????" Serza looked up at him, her eyes unfocused, her mouth barely able to get out anything resembling speech. Her hands running along her own face for a moment... then pressing up against Rip's. The remaining nurses quickly saw to her, bringing her inside along with the other tranquilized men. The staff searching them for weapons and taking whatever they could find so they could defend themselves.

In mere moments the storm was fully upon them, cutting the visibility outside down to just a few feet. The skys lighting up only when a large bolt of lighting passed overhead to strike the Spacer ship that had crashed here earlier.

Off in the distance there were several loud blasts, coming from the direction of the Palace. It was clear that there was more going on here than just a small attack on Rip.

After having spent quite a while out in the storm, Rubi and Ragnadog finally emerged out onto the steps of the hospital. The pair looked worse for wear, with Ragnadog sporting a few cuts from debris and the once white Styrling Muur now coated in a thick layer brown dust. Inside the suit, Rubi could feel the dust piling up whever it could, adding more weight to it and making every step feel like a step through mud. The pair trudged their way up to the doors before Rubi pounded on the entrance. "Braith!" She tried yelling over the storm. "Braith you lazy bastard, open the door!"

Josward would pause for a moment, thinking he heard his name... though it was hard to tell over the storm. "Get these guys tied up in one of the spare rooms..." He instructed one of the nurses, "Or uh... You know what lets just do it here in the hallway. I know you guys don't exactly have a lot of space..."

It turned out one of the other nurses would end up opening the door for Rubi, yanking them in quickly before slamming the door shut, sand sweeping through the main hallway of the hospital.

"You ok?," She asked, "Are you hurt anywhere?"

Rubi took off her helmet with a good pile of dust falling out and under to the floor. "Yeah, I'm fine." She said, wiping some more of the sand off her face. "Need someone to patch up the dog though. He got winged a couple of times out there by debris and one of the Raganrok crew will have my head if his dog is not alright." She took a moment to look around hall through a thin layer of dust. "Where's General Braith at?"

Rip would go about making sure everyone was okay, that no one had been hurt by stray shots, and that the captives were secure and cared for, none of them bleeding even from the cauterized laser wounds. "General Who now?" He called out from one unconcious thug, spraying liquid bandage over the wound.

"The guy who's supposed to be in charge of the defense around here!" Rubi waved some of the sand from her hair. "I'm fairly sure you're aware of the city being attacked right now so need to mount a defensive quick and start getting some troops moving in out of here before we're overwhelmed." She took another glance around. "I'm assuming Braith's missing?"

"Missing? No..." Josward said, the local had the last name of Barith too, but this one worked for Arccos's group of soldiers. "But there is a storm out. Even if he is at the palace we don't exactly have a way of talking to him from here, nor can we send a runner out to deliver a message. They'd get lost and probably die."

"Well damnit, we can't just sit here but I doubt any of you lot will be willing to try and brave the storm out there." Taking stock of the current sitiatuion, rubi thought to herself for a moment before pointing to Josward. "Alright, get some more defenses up in case whoever's attacking balls up enough to try attack during the storm and gather me a sqaud of men to move out when storm starts dying down." She knelt down gave a sratch behind the ear of Ragnadog. "And someone get me a damn medic for the dog!"

"I'll deal with the animal when the humans are dealt with, unless you've uplifted it?" He asks gently, his voice calm, cool, collected, his smile never wavering as he worked on the humans who were hurt. "Burn wounds like these can go septic if not treated quickly, and we want them alive to answer questions. The dog will be fine for a little while," He said it gently and finished off his work, then went to inspect the dog.

The prisoners clearly weren't happy about what was going on... but they didn't make their feelings known so long as Josward had a gun pointed at them. The deep, rattling, sound of explosions, cannon fire, and zapps of lightning could also be heard in the distance, covering up whatever mutterings were going on inside of the hospital.

As Rip worked, the Ragnadog would continueto cough, occationally hacking up what looked like mud... the poor creature having breathed in a lot of dirt and sand while they were out in the elements.

"No, it's not uplifted but it's Coragn's dog and if he sees what condition it's in, I'm loosing my head which causes death with or without treatment." The sound of Rubi's voice showing that she's still very much attached to her head. The sound of fighting and lighting drew her worried looked outside. "How many guys did you bring for this?" She asked the rebel prisoners.

"Then I'll check it over for triage, but honestly Ms..." he looks her over, his personal data on the team members running through his head, "Rubi wasn't it? I think we worked together at some point on a previous mission?" He shrugged, it would come back to him when he wasn't ship-lagged and he wasn't worried about the living people, "But I have to prioritize the sapients here," he said as he finished up on the last prisoner's wounds and then moved to inspect the animal. Xenobiology was surprisingly effective in assisting, also, with animal wounds, and his database included animals who were common uplifts, such as the entire canis genus. Looking over the dog, he could see it was in pain, and uncomfortable, but he couldn't see any immediate danger. "He'll have to get the sand out of his system, next time put a muzzle covered with a fine mesh cloth to keep the sand out of the poor thing's system, but it's in no immediate danger I believe. Unless you're going to ask me to put it under, then pump out it's lungs of the stuff? Which will use up time I could be using on actual sapients?" He asked, staring at Rubi, waiting on her response. It wasn't that he didn't feel for the poor thing, but this was a hospital filled with dying human beings. There simply had to be priorities with his limited time and supplies.

"*If you order me to fix it's lungs, I will, but it'll use up limited supplies and time I could be using to save the humans in this hospital.*" He said it silently over the radio link to Rubi, not wanting to alert the others in the chamber."

Rubi simply shook her head at the offer. "Fine, just work with the people for right now. I'll be sure to cover the dog's muzzle next time the sheriff gets us stuck in a sandstorm again." She turned back towards the prisoners for a moment before turning back to Rip. "Also I doubt we've ever been on a mission on a mission before... Unless you're also another alien that's been hiding out on the planet for who knows how long." She turned back to the prisoners, still expecting one of them to give some sort of estimate on their numbers as she brought the IAW she was given.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back