• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [188604] 5: What do we name this Dirtball?

Z

Zack

Uso, Raphael, and their guests would make their way back into the city, heading right for what remained of the central palace. They could hear the whine of the F6 transport fly by and darken everything overhead. The whine of the F6 grew louder as Hellcat landed the ship in the courtyard of the palace where Uso and Raphael were. Then it grew quiet once more as the F6 powered down to stand by mode.

Several hours later...

Raphael passed back and forth across the common room as he thought what he was to do next. His armor was off and in its berth, and Raph's hair was tied back in a loose ponytail. He had put his black trench coat back on and a fresh pair of BDUs. He looked down at Uso as he stopped his pacing. "Well, are they ready?"

"Yeah... I mean, I guess... lets do this!" She said. Uso had stripped out of her armor as well, putting on a fluffy white bathrobe she had taken from Ivory's closet.

A makeshift table had been setup out of boxes nepleslian rations. Sitting at it were the general they had captured along with the little princess, her red face seemingly on the verge of crying. As Uso sat across from the general, she'd give him a good look in the eye,

"I know what you're thinking.... Maybe that gun will work now that I'm naked?" Uso said, tapping her fingers on the table as she leaned forward, the bathrobe tied tightly enough to keep her modest. "Wanna try it?"

The general's hand would rest ontop of the SMG she had given him earlier... but he made no quick motions.

"Right then, Raph, you wanna ask some questions first? I totally got bad-cop down."

Errowyn walked on Uso, Raphael and their two guest. She patted the princess head as she passed by. She smirked at the General seeing his hand rest on the smg. "Letting play them with the big peoples toys now Uso?" She took one of the chairs that was well cushioned and against the wall. She was still wearing her flight uniform and service pistol at her side. "

"I don't mind sharing my toys," Uso said, licking her lips a little as Hellcat passed by, Uso taking her eyes off the soldier for just a brief moment.

There was a brief moment of hesitation, and the general's hand twitched... only for Uso to shove the table about in inch his his direction, pressing his legs between the heavy supply boxes that made up the whole thing.

"Now Uso..." Raph said as he stepped forward placing his own weapon on the makeshift table. "Before we begin, would anyone object to placing their weapons on the table?" He asked placing his multiple knives and pistols on the table. He stepped over to the side of the table with the princess. He kneeled down and bowed his head. "I am quite sorry your highness for your current predicament." He said raising his head and giving the young girl a soft smile. "As long as I am here, you will be safe. May I have you name?" he said tilting his head. "I am Raphael Castiel."

"I... I'm julie...." the little girl said, terror already filling her voice, the girl covering her eyes and pulling back away from Raphael.

"Julie, that is a very pretty name." Raph said as Julie pulled away. "Princess Julie, are you scared of me? Is it the wings?" He asked flexing them. "Or is it my weird eyes?" He said crossing them, trying to get at least a chuckle out of her.

"N... no, it isn't the wings...." She said, the young girl peeking out from behind her hands for just a moment to cast a glance over at Uso... and then hiding back behind them again.

Of course, while this was going on the general was already leaving his gun on the table, his hands backing off entirely while Uso just smiled, leaning forward, leaving her hands on the table where the general could see them.

Raphael noticed the quick glance and smiled. "I see..." He said moving between them so the princess couldn't see Uso. "There little one. Pretend there is no one else in this room besides you and me. Does that make you feel better?" He asked smiling.

"... No...." The little girl said, lowering her hands a little bit, now looking at Raphael... then up at his wings.... then back to his face... then back to his wings.

*RRRIIIIIIP*

Uso tore open one of the Nepleslian ration kits... going right for the sugary snack inside and quietly placing it beside Raphael on the table before tossing the rest of the ration pack over towards the edges of the room where here armor was piled up against the wall.

Raphael chuckled. "They are weird." He said with a smile. "Think of me as your new guardian angel. Is that okay?" He asked spreading them out so that Uso and the general could not be seen.

Julie would give him a timid nod.... again looking up at his wings, then pointing at them as if she were going to hide behind her own fingers.

"Hey, don't be afraid of them. Here," He said slowly closing them and turning his back to her. "Feel them. They are very soft. Like a pillow." He said looking up at Uso smiling.

He'd feel Julie reach out, poking his wings with her finger and then quickly pulling away.... the girl pausing for a moment before reaching out again to touch him.

"Looks like you ain't bad with kids," Uso said, leaning back a bit and smiling at Raph, the soldier across the table never quite entirely out of her line of sight.

"See, they aren't scary. They let me fly around." He said calmly. He turned back around to her, "How old are you your highness?" He flashed a smile to Uso at her comment.

She held up eight fingers.

"You're eight?" He smiled. "I had a baby sister that looked just like you..." He smiled, cursing himself for letting his mind slip. "Would you like to come with me? We can go the kitchen and I can make you a snack." He said holding out a hand for her to take. "Nothing will happen you. I am your guardian angel after all." He said smiling.

She would timidly take his hand, and let him pick her up, leaving the SMG Uso had given her down by the table. "Did she have wings too?" the little girl asked.

Raphael smiled and held her closer to him. His other hand softly patted her back. "Nope, she is called a Neko. That means she is part cat." He said as he began walking out the room with her. "Be nice to our other guest Uso." he said with a smile. He looked over at Errowyn also. "Make sure those two don't get into a fight?" He asked

"Oh, I think that is up to him now isn't it?" Uso asked, starting up her own conversation with the general as Raph took Julie over to the kitchen area, the girl holding his shoulders tightly.

Errowyn just nodded as she sat there, relaxed watching the exchange. She was glad that Raphael had taken the Princess out of the room before any bloodshed happened. She relaxed and became part of the scenary. It appeared she was the only one armed and wasn't about to give up her side arm at the moment.

He smiled and held her tight. "What would you like to eat Princess?" He asked.

The little princess looked around, confused... "What here is food?...." she asked.

He smiled, and laid out some bread and cheese. "Have you ever had a grilled cheese sandwich? He asked as he prepared it with one hand, holding the little girl with another.

"Our cheese isn't yellow...." she said, watching him lay out the food, her eyes going wide... it looked quite a bit better than what they had!

He smiled as he placed a pan on the skillet and began to melt the cheese. "Would you like to ask me a question little one?"He said as he flipped the sandwich with one hand in the skillet.

"What kind of cheese is that?" she asked, leaning over so she could get a better look.

He tore a piece off the block and handed it to her. "Here, try it." He said with a smile.

She would pick up the sandwhich.... and look at it for a few moments.... checking out the underside for a bit, then looking at the sides.... then finally taking a bite!

"IFTS GOUFD," She said, her mouth stuffed with bread and cheese.

Raphael smiled. He sat her down at the table and grabbed a glass of water. He placed in front of her. He sat down on the floor. "Am I a good chief?" He asked smiling

She nodded, her eyes entirely focused on the sandwich now, trying to stuff as much of it in her face as possible, barely stopping to chew.

Raphael laughed, he placed a massive hand on her head. "Your Highness, I can make you more if you want. You don't need to inhale it." He smiled,

She kept chewing intently, holding the sandwich back for a moment.... a hearty swallow, some more chewing, and then yet another swallow before she could talk, "I like it, your cheese isn't gritty like ours..."

"I'm glad." He smiled "Be sure to drink some water. I don't want you to choke." He said softly stroking her hair.

She looked around for a water glass... not seeing one within reach.

He smiled and grabbed the cup of water in front of her, and held it up to her. "Here you go sweat heart."

She would hold onto the sandwich with one hand, and the glass with the other, following up her next bite with a long drink.

He let her finish the sandwich and her drink. "How would you like to sit in the living room. We can talk some more. Would you like that?" He asked holding his hand up again.

"I....I suppose we can talk..." She said, handing him back the glass of water, but keeping a firm hold on the sandwich.

"Silly one. You can keep the sandwich." He said picking her up again. "Come on, you can finish it while we walk."

"mmhmm..." She said, still holding onto the sandwich as she leaned her head against his shoulder, slowly nodding off.

Raph smiled. He grabbed the sandwich and placed it on the counter. He patted her back and softly cooed as he removed his jacket and draped it over her. He picked her back up and walked back into the room. He sat down next to Uso, with the sleeping princess in his arms.

"That's adorable..." Uso said, sounding more like she was upset that she was finding it adorable, than actually cooing over a sleeping child.... "The general and I had a little talk about the food situation... apparently they've got a massive surplus of the stuff, but only of one particular kind.... this green plant thing." She explained.

"I see." He said softly patting Julie's back. "So we could live off plants then?" He chuckled. "Can I have your name sir?" Raph asked as Julie drooled on his sleeve.

The soldier just gave Raphael a stern look.

"Oh don't be like that..." Uso said, leaning forward again, "Yeah we killed your soldier-Friends, but let's face it they were soldiers and they were probably going to die anyways. You can sit here and sulk, or you can make the best of the situation." She'd then slide the brownie she had put on the table over toward the general, "Here try this, It is kinda crap compared to our normal food but it'll be amazing compared to what you have."

The general would reach over to the brownie and take a bite... Renewed anger in his eyes as he realized this actually was pretty good.

With a heavy sigh he'd respond,

"I am Reginald Braith."

Uso leaned back a bit now, "And I'm Uso Tasuki."

Errowyn sat there with her eyes closed. In all appearance she looked asleep and bored. But she was awake and listening. She was also watching through the barest of slit. Just waiting patiently for them to get done with business.

Raphael smiled. "It's a pleasure Reginald. My name is Raphael Castiel. I am sorry for the choke hold." He started. "I had wished to do thing peacefully, but fate deemed that we could not walk that line. I hope we can start now with a clean slate?" He asked with sincerity in his eyes as he continued to craddle the sleeping Julie.

Errowyn kept quiet, carrying on the charade of sleeping, letting Uso and Raphael do the nice nice talk.. She did think it was cute the way Raphael held Julie as she could be used as a shield against General schemes of any apprisels. She ignored the questioning sent her way.

"It doesn't seem that I have much choice. I suppose I will need to be a collaborator one way or another... What do you want from us?" He asked, his arms crossing over his chest as he looked at Julie, leaving his gun on the table.

"No," Errowyn spoke softly, "you need to be true to yourself and accept that Her Highness.." She sniggered softly ... "Uso As the new Ruler of this mudball of a planet. And that Rahael is her equal in command." She fell quiet once more in her peaceful state of rest.

Raphael grinned. "Well, that wasn't exactly how I was going to go about it but yes. That is what is going to happen. We will bring in advantanced technology. We can cure all your sickness, ease all your hardship, unite this planet under one flag. We can make you and your people a major power, but at a price. Uso here will be your new Empress. Her word will be law." He face didn't waver from the happy carefree look it had. "This will happen with or without your consent. However if you want to help your people and yourself, then help us make this transition as smooth as possible." He said smiling

"Awww... You guys," Uso said, enjoying the warm and fuzzies from being called your highness.

Reginald would look them over one at a time, slowly, getting a better handle in his anger, "And that makes me what? Your puppet? Or do I get authority over the city?" He asked.

"Great! You want to play!" Uso said, sitting upright now, her intrest peaked, "I want you to keep things as they are while we get settled in. There will be changes sure, but we want you to help make sure they go smoothly. In exchange we'll help you out, You want power? This is your chance to get something a bit more real than being just another soldier.... It is your shot at being king ... Or president... Or you know... Whatever."

The General looked deep in thought, and Uso could smell the ambition in him.

"Plus Raph here has some stuff for You,"

"Mr. Reginald, you seem to be quite intellegient." Raphael started. "If you want power in this new order, then you must help me first. Can you round up your most sharp and ambitious soldiers? I will be creating a task force. A group of soldiers who will be my eyes and ears. I after you get those soldiers for me I want that list burned. Plus, I could use help with traning them and you seem like you could be a good second in command for my intellegence branch." Raphael gave the man an apprasing look. "Are you in Mr. Braith?"

"Will I be in charge of these soldiers, or will she be in charge of disiplineing them?" He asked, looking over at Uso. "I will not be party to sending more young men to their deaths."

"Reginald, You and I will work closely to form the best intelegence network around, you will coordinate with me on all aspects of their training. I have no intentions of sending these men to the slaughter. I hope that we will set the stand for intellegince wetwork in the known galaxy. What do you say?" Raphael asked leaning back in his chair.

"The known galaxy? ... Just how many other worlds are there?" He asked, his curiosity peaked,

"Its a big galaxy," Uso said sternly, shutting down the conversation, "You in or out?"

He looked at Uso, and then over at Raphael, "I suppose I am in. do I get to leave now and take care of my end of this bargin?"

Raphael smiled. "Yes please. You are finished, go and round them up. Meet me back here as quickly as possible." He said nodding his head towards the door. He then looked over at the sleeping Errowyn. "Done napping over there sleepy?" He asked with a chuckle.

The general would nod, pick up his SMG, and head for the exit, leaving the four of them alone.

Errowyn just resumed her sleeping appearance in the chair, yet she didnt have the slump of one, for she was alert and watching the exchange between them all. "1 Missile. Anti-ship Hellfire. 20 k ks, or 40k FSC." Eyes opening as she looked at the both of them. "Time to renew the contract." She looked at the both of them. For now ignoring the sleeping Princess Julie in Raphs arms.

"OW... Fuck, Hellcat... That's a lot of bank... I told you I am on a budget!" Uso said, looking over at Raphael and the sleeping child for a moment before restating, in a softer and quieter voice, ".... on a budget...."

"it was either that or you losing a whole merc team IN power armor." Errowyn spoke softly, from relaxed spot. "And that would've left you... mmm.... At their pleasure...." She smirked as a hand rested next to her weapon in her holster with the flap tucked out of the way.

"You wanna risk loosing the biggest payday of your life?" Uso asked, turning to face Errowyn, sitting on the edge of the box they had been using as a seat, leaning in towards her pilot for hire, "You'll get your money, I'll settle up all my debts with you at the end of month 2 just like I said."

Errowyn nodded as she stood up and stretched in the most alluring feminine felinish way, making it look so natural. "Ive two ships that need looking after. Make sure you throw in the cost of the Hellfire, also." She strode out from the room in a lazy manner of her own style, hips swayed naturally as she pushed her way through the doorway to leave the room. She had a date with a certain Merc Boss.

Uso retained her aggressive posture as Errowyn stood up, watching as she stretched, and then watching her hips leave the room like a lioness would watch her dinner,

".... When did she grow a backbone?" Uso thought out loud once the pilot had left, standing up and straightening her bathrobe out a bit, ".... I suppose we should find Julie a nice place to sleep? Maybe Small's ship would be better? It'll be a bit quieter and Ivory can keep an eye on her while you're out and about."

~~ Since I have the only means to leave everyone stranded~~ Errowyn returned via open telepathy when her hearing picked up Uso thoughtful comment as the doors swung shut behind her.

Raphael snickered at Errowyn's telepathic comment. "No, I will watch over her. She will stay in my quarters for now. At least until her brother arrives." He looked up and gave Uso a tired smile. "Besides, I like children. They are so sweet and innocent." He said softly stroking Julie's hair.

"Hrmm..." Uso said, tapping her fingers on the box in the center of the room for a moment. "Yeah, just be sure to lock her in your room then. Don't want her running about, or running into the other mercs. This ain't a daycare." Her voice had a bit of an edge on it now, Uso wasn't one to hide her feelings too deeply.

Raphael sighed. "I know darlin. But, we have destroyed this girl's future. A quiet life, one day to become queen. All dashed in a matter of moments. I know this little ones pain and suffering. I was in the same place. No one was there for me, but I will be damned if there isn't anyone here for her." He said calming down as to not wake the sleeping child.

Uso shot him a sidelong glance, "How many fathers and mothers did we kill today? I mean, just us personally?" She'd turn to face Raphael, holding up her hands, "I know I don't have enough fingers to count em all. This kinda shit happens, Boo-fucking-who." Uso said, "You don't owe that kid anything."

"I had a sister..." He blurted. "When the Heavens fell, we were running from our home..." He said down at Julie. "She was eight years old, little blond curly hair. An enemy combatant shot at us. I wasn't fast enough... she..." He stopped, letting the silence hang. "I just can't Uso... I just..."

"She probably enjoyed the eight years she had. That's more than a lot of people get," Uso responded callously, "And this one got eight years being treated like a princess."

He stood as he slowly moved the toddler to his shoulder. "Honey, no matter what you say I am taking care of this girl. I am her new guardian. End of discussion." He said flatly.

"I guess that's on you then," She said in a huff,

Raphael smiled. "Glad you see things my way." He said with a smirk. "I will watch over the girl then." He softly began to coo again as Julie stired and left the room to leave Uso alone with her thoughts.

Back at the City

After some promises that Uso wasn't going to hurt the little girl, both her and Raphael took the two lead prisoners away, leaving the rest of the group with simple instructions,

"We just killed a bunch of people, no doubt there will be fires, scared people and looters. Do the best you can to put a stop to all three... and uh, have someone keep an eye on those other officers just in case we need em later." Uso would say over the all hands channel.

Ragnarok had done a first rate job of dismantling an army several thousand times their size... and now they were left with thousands of soldiers who had thrown down their weapons. The city itself had already been on fire when they arrived, but the additional aether blasts had not helped the situation. Large swaths of the city seemed to be on fire now. The wind wasn't blowing very hard, so the embers were traveling slowly, bit by bit consuming nearby structures. There were some people out in the streets, gathering buckets of dirt and throwing that dirt on the fires, but it wasn't nearly enough to save the city. The city was remarkably silent, most of the people who were on the streets were running home, or trying to find some place to hide in hopes that the fires would die out on their own. There didn't even seem to be any professional response to the fires...

There was very little in the way of options for putting out the fires. There was the occasional small water tower on top of homes, the large metal containers helping provide some running water inside the residence... but they were few and far between... nor were they enough on their own to put out the fires.

There were also fire stations, they weren't hard to see and were clearly marked, but they all seemed abandoned.

At least one of Ragnarok didn't respond to Uso's orders in the affirmative. Arccos, the Freespacer who had spent much of the battle bodily flinging both men and horses through the sky, into both other men and other horses. The one who also already had a bulging backpack at least partially full of loot (those officers had fancy buttons on their fancy coats, after all). She did, however do what was asked. Towering over the soldiers who seemed all rather short from an environment without much nutrition; clutching an extended stun baton arcing with electricity, she began to shout orders to the prisoners to stand up and begin to save the city... It took a few tries to get through a barrier, but soon she had them all in, taking up buckets of dry earth and tossing it on flames.

The Ragnarok channel would flare open: "Someone see if they can talk enough to these 'tards to get them to tell us where the fires are spreading. And Ace, get that kid out of sight before either she decides he'd make a good example, or the locals start to think he's the one who will liberate them.'

"Ok Arccos I'll do it." Having an idea Ace flipped on the all channel comms. "Hey guys and girls I have an idea there is a body of water not too far from the city if we load some large containers onto one of the ships I can fly it to the water and fill up the containers then fly back over the fires and dump the water out of the containers onto the fire from the air. I would need at least 12 people with me not including the boy and myself. Afterwards I'll land somewhere nearby or in the city and set up a temporary medical station. Does that sound good?"

"Sounds good if we thought to bring the Ragnachopper." chirped back Arccos.

"Oh right we left it behind. But still we do have a cargo craft it could work with that." Ace said after Aries had run the numbers.

"Use the chopper, I need the ship for a bit... or see if smalls will let you flood her ship," Uso said over the all hands channel.

"You're not flooding her ship! I just got the medical bay setup!" Ivory responded, the crew's medic not sounding happy with the idea.

Corgan, tired of killing people who were no threat, decided he would follow Uso's orders and work on the fires. He walked up to a gathering of the government officers they'd captured to talk sense into them. "Hey. I know you can understand me, jackass. What are you doing sitting around? Get out there and put those fires out." He picked up one of them effortlessly and dragged him to a group of soldiers. "Okay. You're the new fire department, amigos." He said, tossing the man into the group of soldiers. "This guy's your Chief. Chief, get these men organized and get moving. We're all goin on a little field trip to the fire department to get supplies. Anyone not doing his part, I'll personally tear you a new one, got it?" He yelled at them.

"Y... yes, just don't kill us..." The officer said, now minus his coat... there were plenty of soldiers nearby, all of which seemed to be missing the buttons on their coats, leaving Arccos with a rather large backpack full of shiny brass and copper buttons with ornate designs. Arccos's group of tards would be nervously gathering up dirt, some using the few buckets they had on hand, others picking up handfuls and trying to fling it onto the fires... the group seeming to make some progress on the fires at the edge of the city but it seemed a lot like putting a band aid on a gaping chest wound. It would take them quite some time to get the fire of the first building under control, and by the time they had leveled enough dirt onto the flames to smother it out, the fire had spread to the next building over, embers beginning to glow on the ceiling and walls, small fires breaking out as the men rushed to stamp them out with dirt and now quite hard to wear coats.

Corgan's group of soldiers would nervously look up at the armored soldier,

"Alright men, just do as they say for now. Understood?" The officer said, holding his coat closed with one hand. "...We got it...." the troops responded, the worry in their voice so thick that you could taste it. The group of soldiers was easy enough to corral and force to do this bidding... a group of 40 odd men now heading towards the nearest fire station with an officer leading them. Of course when they arrived they'd find plenty of buckets, and a wagon with a four man hand pump + hose that could be used to douse fires with the water in the wagon... "You six, pull the wagon, you three over there...." Almost as soon as the officer started speaking, two men dashed off in opposite directions, rounding the corner at rapid speed and heading away from the fire station, zig-zagging through the streets to try and disappear between the buildings.

This didn't seem to be working so well, Arccos' button-less brigadiers (previous working title "the topless tards") were about as accustomed to this work as the Freespacer herself apparently. The sorts of fire where you could just open an airlock were a different beast altogether. She had to speak loudly and slowly: "This is not working. Move ahead of the flames. Put them out where they start to spread. Get fires that are still small. If someone is trapped warn me and I'll go in as I will not burn."

"Ok Aries has run the numbers on many different scenarios and the best option now is to have one of your groups dig a trench around the fire while the other actively puts it out and another is to light more fires that we ourselves keep control of so that the old fire doesn't spread past em this would be much easier so I grabbing a group of 60 odd men and starting." Ace said over the comms then he turned to the boy. "Ready kid I'm gonna need your help." Ace then went over to a group of scared men. "Hey you guys I need your help to get this fire under control any volunteers I wont force you if you don't want to but if you have family in the city they might get caught in the inferno."

The group nearest to Arccos and would end up spreading out, some starting to stand near buildings that were not yet on fire, throwing sand on embers that drifted over. Others would start making small trenches where they could. Still others went to buildings that were only just starting to get set on fire... unfortunately there were not many that seemed to have a real enthusiasm for this work, but they were now making much better progress. The buildings in the immediate area that were already on fire seemed to be lost for good, but much of the structures near the city's edge were being saved. At this rate they would end up making a real difference.
|
"UH... Mr... or Ms... Metal man... I can hear someone in this house...." One of the soldiers said, pointing ot one of the structures that had already caved in. The entire place was burning and there wasn't much space inside for a person. "The sound is probably coming from the basement. There's a lot of interconnected stuff down there... but it ain't always traversable." He said.

And sure to his word, the sound of someone faintly crying for help could be heard from the house. The wooden building's roof having already caved in ontop of the metal plate that blocked off access to the small lower chamber.

Meanwhile the child Ace was with looked absolutely terrified. His sister had just been taken, and most of the people he knew had just been killed. "Ww.. what do you want from me?" He asked, his voice trembling as he answered Ace.

"I want you to help me help you. Look I'm not into Uso's whole conquering a planet thing and would probably be working against her if I wasn't getting paid. Plus she might kill you if she feels that your a threat and using your lil sis as leverage but as long as you stick with me I can make sure that it never happens and maybe even get you two off planet before it goes to shit. But right now I need you to help me put these fires out." Ace then went to a box and grabbed his sonic grenades and some matches. "Now we are going to fight fire with fire cmon." Ace hearing the news about the trapped person over the comms immediately turned on his. "I swear to god if that person dies I'm gonna have your ass and you know I can do it too we don't need more deaths we've already killed half of the population in this city already."

"H..how is that going to work?" The boy asked curiously, "Won't that hurt the buildings more?" He didn't quite have an understanding of blasting out fires, but his intrest was being peaked, or at the very least it helped take his mind off the current situation.

"Well kid you see if we set fires and burn out the area around the main fire then when it gets there it will have nothing to feed the flame and without fuel no fire bam its out and everyone's fine. Plus the other objects that I grabbed out of the bag are called sonic grenades which I'm going to modify so that I can use their sound waves to control the fires that we set."

Corgan didn't bother going after the runners, but he did stick close enough to the officer to grab him if he made a move. "Listen, I don't want to kill anyone here. That's not what we're here for. We could have done that. We're here to help." He didn't know if they would buy it, considering the entrance they had made. He considered that maybe a name would make him seem more human. "The name is Corgan. I'm human, just like.. well, almost just like you." That was all the reassurance he planned on giving.

He followed the officer from the station to the nearest fire after the wagon was full. "Okay. Tell me if you hear anyone inside. I'll go in and get them. Let's save some people!" He yelled, attempting to create some enthusiasm. They had been moving like zombies so far.

There was a mumur stirring as the group started pulling the wagon, bringing it to the edge of the fire fighting line... the soldiers moving with just a bit more drive now. A longer fire line had been setup, and now with the water spraying the spread of the fire was starting to be seriously slowed.

"You think they are going to kill us?" One asked

"No, they could have done that already..." Another said.

"Why are they putting out fires though? Why do they care?"

"Why are they even here?"

The soldiers seemed to be getting a bit more confident talking among themselves now, and speculation was running wild!

At the forefront of the firefighting effort, Arccos was working to apparently fuel the speculation. A collapsed building, someone in the basement but still on something unstable. She had reasoned that this may well be a trap, collapsed building, but not traversable? A metal man was heavy, and that much was obvious, and being put in a situation where a wooden floor could collapse underneath her wasn't the best position to be in. Arccos remained suspicious that this wasn't some attempt to have one of the alien invaders immobilized under the rubble. Speculation fuel came as she did something around the neck of her suit, and the whole thing opened up. The one who came to her confirmed it was Ms. Metal Man as the towering pale white (but still mostly human looking) alien nimbly slid out of her suit, and quickly plugged a wire into her own skull as an audible murmur rose up from the crowd, many of them stopping to watch... the crowd getting its first look at what was under their armor.

Reaching over and taking both of her sidearms from the armor itself, and tossing them physically inside her power armor to keep them away from thieving hands: The suit snapped shut behind her... And then promptly reanimated: Ragnarok's electronic warfare specialist had nothing else to toy with on this planet, so she had settled with uploading some basic motion command software to her suit on the trip to this dust ball planet. For all the soldiers to see, the suit stomped forward and tore off the metal plate blocking the entrance to the lower... Basement? The smoke was blinding, and after flipping through the visible spectrum on her cybernetic eyes Arccos took the moment to locate who was hiding. Making her way across the debris down below, Arccos wove in and out of broken boards and rubble only to quickly snag the trapped survivor with inhuman cybernetic strength as they choked on smoke.

For all the world to see, an alien had hatched forth from a metal shell, and descended below only to punch a hole through smoldering floorboards and one-handedly haul a trapped survivor out on her back. The whole time the metal shell held its own, brandishing an arcing stun baton to menace any brave soul who would dare to try and get their buttons back.

"City seems to have something like a tunnel system below it." Arccos broadcast out over all channels.

"Good to know I can use that with my plan." Ace said to Arccos. Ace had set up the first few buildings with controlled burns using active sonic grenades that he modified as a containment field. "Ok fellas that should do it for this part I need some of you to hang back and make sure that nothing goes wrong and also take some watr and hose down the area on our side of the fire so that there is less chance of it spreading in case the field fails."

The revelation Arccos made about tunnels hardly surprised him. Major cities usually had complex tunnel systems beneath them, usually for sewage or storage space. "Interesting.. that could be where the people shelter when a sandstorm hits." Corgan mused. The soldiers seemed to be doing a good job of putting out the flames. He didn't mind the speculation about their motives. What he listened for was any talk of resistance. The chatter was a great way to learn about these humans and their society. That knowledge could come in handy later on. Silently he cursed himself for not thinking about taking the officers buttons. Although maybe later I could check out the bank, he thought. Or maybe one of the bars.

As Ace finished setting up the last of the new fires the ones that he had started first had started to die down leaving smoldering shells of buildings that thanks to the controlled burn were still in pretty decent shape but wouldn't catch fire again. "Ok that should do it the fire won't spread any farther and will eventually die down. Great work fellas anyone want a drink my treat." Ace smiled at the cheers that his offer sent up within the weary group of men and women. "all that's left is to find survivors and I have the equipment for that be back in a jiff move to the nearest tunnel entrance." Ace moved down into the underground tunnels and began to move around braving the heat looking for survivor. "HEY ANYONE ALIVE DOWN HERE!!"

As Ace entered the tunnels, he'd find sand.... lots and lots of sand. It didn't take much looking around to figure out that he was standing ontop of another building that had been mostly burred. The heavy sands constantly burring the buildings built on the surface, causing them to sink down, only for the locals to build new structures on top of them. Some of the buildings had been connected by tunnels, and much of those tunnels had been partially filled by sand already. Stored down here were leathers, barrels of dried jerky, even some fuel oil and the occasional weapon. As he called out looking for survivors he'd hear no responses from below.

... though a few of the soldiers were quite willing to have a drink with him.

and the girl that Arccos had saved was hugging her armor tightly, "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!" she shouted repeatedly, the woman certain she would have died from the smoke if she haddn't been saved by the metal suit... the woman wearing a simple brown dress with a rather elaborate brass fastener holding a cloak in place over her body.

Of course, the girl wasn't the only one paying Arccos very close attention. Many of the soldiers were looking right at the woman who had come out from the armor. It didn't take a genius to figure out what they were thinking. Dozens of men all had the same idea at the exact same time... she was outside of her armor, perhaps a bullet would kill her. However the other metal men were around. Some were considering how they would escape, others weighing throwing their life away for a single shot, but no one reached for a weapon.

The fire was largely being brought under control now. Ace's additional destruction had wiped out quite a few additional buildings, but this would save the parts of the city yet to burn. Soldiers were sweeping through the rest of the area, putting out embers, doing their best to figure out just what to do next.

Off in the distance the freighter that had brought them to the planet had landed where the government's palace used to be, and Uso had finished her business inside.

"OK, you guys find anything fun yet?" Uso asked over the all hands channel, "Looks like you got a handle on the fires... Let them take it from here. We need to find out what kinda stuff this place has that's worth anything....

.... And we should probably name this dirtball too."

Corgan decided that these guys were doing okay with the fires. He really wasn't needed anymore here. "Okay guys! Good job with the fires. Keep up the good work. I'll put in a good word with the boss." He waved at the leader of his band of firefighters. "When ya get done, go home to your folks. I'm headin back to base." He started to make his way back to the freighter. Over comms he replied to Uso. "Nothin' here, almighty cat lady. This dirtball hardly seems worth the effort. Figured you'd just name it Uso. How 'bout Jade for the green water?"

"How about Meta cause I'm picking up quite a bit of rare metals down here." Ace said as his monitors were going nuts about the amount of different rare materials it detected in the tunnels. "I mean hell there's a lot of rare stuff here. Also I'm sending up deeper scans to help me find survivors down here and it's quite expansive though I'm picking up only ten life signs I'll pick em up and head back I did promise my crew booze after all." Ace smirked thinking back on all the alcohol he had brought with him for a victory celebration.

"Ace... I know you're eager to eat the garbage down there, but you're about three times my weight, and in armor. I should mention that you're walking in a place these folk told me was incredibly unstable..." Arccos said, outwardly just speaking to the air; watching the woman she'd saved hug her empty armor, going through her backpack to grab a fistful of buttons and looking them over. "Uso, so far we have... Gold, silver, brass so that's copper and zinc. Lead bullets, and some iron since their guns are made of it. Lots of metals so the planet must have mines somewhere around."

"I'm counting on it. Smalls should be along soon and we've got like 200 pounds of plastic explosive in the ship to do some strip mining... That aside I feel like that name is like calling the planet 'Sand' because its got so much 'Sand'." Uso replied.

"Yea I was never good with names any how. Plus Across if I fall down I'll just claw my way back out I'd rather protect myself from the fire than falling." Ace decided to take a left around another caved in area. "I'm starting to get sick of these cave ins I'm about ready to just force my way through them!"

"It's less about falling than it is about sinking. But if you think you can claw out of the grinder, it's all good to me. I can get some soldiers to dig you out."

"Very funny." Ace gruffed. "Would you rather I burn? Oh wait I think I heard someone."

"I'd rather you be careful. They could drop a tunnel on you deliberately. They can't shoot us to death, but they can immobilize you deep under the earth." Arccos said over the comms, quieting her voice some as she put a hand on the shoulder of the crying woman she'd rescued; switching off her comm link for a moment. "Hey, you're going to be okay, do you have somewhere to go?"

"N... not really... I mean... that was my home... but I have family nearby I can stay with," She responded.

"Ok I've had enough of these cave ins I'm breaking through." Ace proceeded to claw his way through one of the sand piles to get to the person whose life sign was on the other side. "Jeez now that wasn't so hard. Hey there are you ok?" Ace picked up the little boy he found on the other side. "Hmm there seems to be two more nearby. I'll head for them then get the hell out." Ace started off towards the first life sign. "Hey Corgan you have two life signs almost directly under you they seem to be together could you get them it would leave us with four more that I'm picking up on the scans. Across you have one more nearby as well."

Arccos shook her head, trying to clear it of the multiple conversations coming in over her neural implants and focus on one conversation at a time. First was to the woman she'd rescued "Alright, go stay with them until the fires are down. Then I guess someone will start addressing the damages done to the city. Just stay safe."

The suit of armor slid open, the freespacer retrieving her guns from the interior with a little fussing about as one had fallen down into the interior thigh. She was surprised none had the guts to take a shot on her for a start; but sliding back in she was at least a little grateful that these folk recognized either someone helping, or someone who could kill them all with relative ease. "Put their location on my HUD, Ace. I'll pry them out." the alien addressed the air, then turned back to the buttonless brigadiers: "Someone get some rope and a shovel, we're digging out another one."

The location of the remaining people would appear on both of their huds... unfortunately the structures that led to them were already burnt down nearly entirely large piles of metal and charr'd wood covering the entryways into the tunnels below.

"Why are there so many cave ins you would think that they would end at some point." Ace dug his way through a fourth wall finally reaching the last two survivors. "Hey I'm your guardian angel nice to meet ya." Ace then grabbed the two and started on his way out making better time than he did getting in.

Coming out of the caves Ace was confronted by his group who looked a bit at odds with the situation. "Why are you fellas so confused I just helped save ya? Cmon let's head back and grab some booze I got stuff I can promise you've never had before."

Ace's message reached Corgan as he was outside a bar near the freighter. "I think you're in a better position Arccos. I'm not any good with underground. I don't wanna get my ass buried saving some uncivilized fool on a backwoods planet." The main reason was the pretty young thing he just saw walk into the bar. Well, more like run when she saw his power armor. The thought of what these people consider hygiene gave him pause, but they had been vaccinated beforehand. He walked into the bar and looked around. The stares ranged from frightened to downright murderous.

"Probably confused that everyone keeps using the stupid angel line." Arccos' words were accompanied by the wrenching of metal and the shifting of burnt timbers, then cut short as she switched channels to Corgan, "Fine, I'll get them next, but I swear if they die before I can get to them I'm telling them you were closer but couldn't be asked to save them..."

"Good one. Though I haven't heard anyone else say it. If you need me I'll be back at the ships getting friendly with the locals. No power armor mind you makes it hard to eat and drink."

Ace's comment would be drowned out by Arccos' proclamation to the poor trapped soul she was busy digging out, carried over the Ragnarok comms: "Fear not, trapped mortal! For I am your own private Florpgon from beyond Pixenion Z-59!"

"Can you get any cheesier Across?" Ace said as he climbed out of his power armor giving his group of volunteers their first look at him. "Alright boys and girls let's drink and be merry!" Ace said with a wide smirk across his face.

"I can only really get cheesier if I call myself an angel." Arccos chuckled, throwing her power armored shoulder into hauling a pile of scrap metal off one of the tunnel entrances. "Anyway. Shouldn't our glorious Empress name the planet? Or have it named for her? Don't all the catfolks love naming planets after themselves?"

"Ok yea I see your point. Hey wanna drink when you get back?"

"No, We can't call you angel. Raph already has wings all the time and if we call someone else angel it is gonna be confusing.... I'm probably going to end up calling you Arc anyways. One sylable, like Ace, Raph, Smalls....

And yes, Planet Uso would also be a bit much.... even if it does scratch my itch to have things named after myself. " Uso dropped off the all hands channel for a moment before adding one more thing,

"You guys find out what this planet has to drink?"

VVvvv... *BOOM* Uso hard landed her powered armor nearby, using her rockets to slow her fall at the last second. Many of the people went running off, but there were still a large number of the buttonless brigadiers around along with the few people that had been saved from the fire... all of which were looking cautiously at Uso's armor.

"Don't know what this place has other than brandy cause I brought my own. Good stuff." Ace was cracking jokes and having a good time with those who had volunteered to help and even some who decided to join afterwards for a drink. "Cheers mates!! Ha Ha!!"

The mood around Ace was certainly tense, but they were quite happy to be drinking his liquor. They would raise their glasses, toast, drink, and then look a bit nervously as Uso approached.

"Oh come on... You're drinking you're own stuff? We've got a whole planet here to check out. One of these buildings has to be a bar... they always have bars. Humans LOVE their bars.." Uso said, taking a seat right near the group, the soldiers drinking with Ace taking a scoot back. The boy he had saved earlier hiding behind him.

"Yea I know that but is it any good is the question." Ace reached to one of the mislabeled boxes near him. "I found these during my search I assume they're whisky but I'm not too sure haven't had any yet. They have a neat color to them though."

Ace turned around to look at the boy. "Hey kid there's no need to be afraid when I'm around you're safe ok. Oh and I keep forgetting to ask but what's your name?"

"...Jacob..." He replied timidly.

The thought of getting out of his armor made Corgan feel very nervous, considering these people had tried their best to kill him hours erlier, not to mention he may have killed some of their family unknowingly. "Hello. I'm not here to cause trouble folks, I just want a drink. Don't know what you guys drink around here but I'll take a bottle." He said in a friendly tone. His fingers reached up and pulled off his helmet and looked around the room. He located the busty redhead he'd spotted earlier and walked over to her. "No need to be afraid, little lady. Would ya feel better seeing the ship we came here on?"

"You could get some of the good stuff I had with me on Icefall if you want it or this weird colored whiskey I think it is." Ace looked at the bottle again. "Eh might as well try one." Ace took a swig from the bottle. "Hmm kinda sweet yet strong as well I like it."

"Corgan is there anything that you don't flirt with or is it any thing with boobs?" Ace had actually thought that some of the girls around were kinda cute but he didn't want to catch some unknown disease.

He nearly burst out laughing when Ace asked him that question. "Well, not too many women on Nepleslia. I like ladies from other worlds I guess." He shrugged.

"Now lets see here you have been shot down by how many women so far and you still don't change your approach? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Sooo by definition you are insane my dear friend."

Ignoring Ace at this point he took the girl's hand and kissed it. "My name is Corgan. I am amazed that, after coming from another world full of beauty, you are still the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." He looked directly into her eyes while he said this.

"There is no need to be scared of Corgan ma'am he's all bark no bite." Ace gestured for her to take a seat. "I can tell you about the stars though you look like you could be interested. Also I see that ring on your finger so you must be married so I won't make any approaches and our suits may protect us from physical harm for the most part but an angry husband is another thing."

"Uh... I.... I just wear it to keep the men away usually..." She responded, slipping the ring off and placing it in her pocket. She looked a bit nervous, her eyes moving from Ace, to Corgan, and back... but ultimately smiling when he kissed her hand, "Are you aliens normally this forward?" She asked. She was quite possibly the first person on this planet they'd seen almost laugh!

"Let me try it," Uso said, picking up one of the bottles and then looking around. "Ugh... I should be reprimanding you guys for taking off your armor... don't tell Cyrus." Uso popped her helmet, lifting it off with one hand as she held up the bottle with the other, taking a few deep drinks. The liquid was heavy, and had a bit of a grit to it, certainly an odd texture for a liquid. A mixture of that sickly alcoholic sweet quickly being replaced by a slight salty taste and then the massive bite of unrefined alchol burning the nose and mouth.

"EGGCH...." Uso responded, "That's terrible...." She knew enough about alcohol to know that the heads hadn't properly been filtered out of the local stuff... probably due to their shit-industrial-base. "... Nepleslians would love this stuff."

"What Uso you say something?" Ace grabbed another bottle. "This might be the best they got and you're insulting it cmon where are your manners we're guest here." Ace turned back to the women. "No not really just Corgan over there. Every female he has met so far he has tried to pick up with very little success. While I on the other hand just like making friends." Ace took another swig. "The reason why I like this stuff is because Aries filters out most of the weird stuff in it so it gets rid of the aftertaste before I even get it."

"Then we're pretty terrible guests," Uso said with a laugh.

Corgan glared at Ace across the room before returning his eyes and smile to the redhead. "I'm not this forward with all women, just the ones I find irresistible." He said to her. "I will take off my armor and show you what alien men look like if you come with me to the ship. Someone out here might take a shot at me." A quick look around and he saw three or four men who looked like they may shoot him just for being an "alien".

"Pretty certain you can remedy your reputation as a poor guest by nationalizing and redistributing the drinks in this place." Arccos' voice drifted in from the front door, where she and her scorched black power armor were stomping in. The armor walked autonomously, the Freespacer with a foul smelling cigarette between her teeth. She made her greetings "Corgan: I just want to say, I hate you. Lazy ass. Empress: Good to see you in the metal."

Corgan shrugged at Arccos, thanked the bartender and took the bottle of some odd colored alcoholic beverage, setting his helmet down next to him but within range of his arms. He poured a glass for the lady and himself. It took him all of three seconds to drink the whole glass. "Damn! This is amazing!" He declared as he slammed down the glass, forgetting he was wearing powered armor. The glass shattered and his armored hand went straight through the bar. His cheeks turned red with embarrassment. The combination of his red face and green hair made him look like a ripe tomato. He removed his hand from the bar sheepishly. "I'll pay for that."

"Yes it is," Uso replied

"Uso...Serve drinks!? Man pigs will fly the day that happens."

"Legislative measures. You order your underlings to do that stuff."

"Well now that I've got that out of the way anyone here wanna hear a tale of the stars?" Ace reached down and chucked one of the bottles of alcohol he brought with him to Uso. "There that should fit your taste."

"That isn't a bad idea, redistribute the drinks and then tell us a grand story of the stars Underling," Uso replied, catching the bottle tossed at her and then giving it a taste, "Why are you here? Why'd you join up with Cyrus? that kinda thing."

"Me? Umm...well I don't really like to.. how do you say talk about my past. But I will if you really want me. Though you'll have to raise my pay for it." Ace was fidgeting a little looking around the room to find some way out of this. He had been planing on telling a story on the adventure of Ragnarok not his past.

"You got this gig because Raph vouched for Cyrus, and Cyrus vouched for you guys. I didn't get a chance to vet you myself. That kinda thing ain't normal, but I can't exactly keep an operation like this small enough for me to know everyone." Uso took another swig from the bottle, and then sat down across from Ace, "Ballsy asking for a raise though. Tell a good story and I'll pay for someone to paint your armor up real nice."

"OK miss should I start with my traumatic childhood or go a little further ahead?"

"Does the childhood bit make for a better story?" Uso asked.

"Little makes it sadder too. Kinda made me who I am today."

"Fine, lets start out with how daddy didn't love you and move on from there," Uso said.

"Oh no that's not how it went. Here's how it goes. Ok so I was born on a backwater colony planet in YE 17 to a loving family. It was a small place but everyone were friendly to each other and it was nice there. Back then I didn't have a care in the world. Damn those were the good days but nothing is ever like that now is it. So in YE 24 when I was seven years old a band of Pirates known as the Fiddler's Flute decided that my home planet was a good place to raid rich in resources and able bodied individuals you know the works. So they made Landfall and to sum up and dumb down the details they killed everyone I was the only survivor when my parents hid me before being brutally slaughtered right in front of me. Now that's enough to traumatize anyone but it didn't stop there no because you see when I finally went outside I found all the dead stacked up in one large pile right in the center of town and to add on to that the military thought that since we were just starting up on the outskirts of the domain even though the planet was important for resources they decided to stay back to save resources and soldiers for the war effort after all they could just recolonize it for less cost. And that's our interlude what do you think?"

"A decent call to action, but your second act of 'coming to some other planet' doesn't make a whole lot of sense yet." Uso replied with a smile, "Or is that some kinda 3rd act thing?"

"It is I need to do this in parts else I might hurt Aries with the strain it puts on him to keep me from going insane recalling them."

"That some kinda AI buddy in your head?" Uso asked.

"Yeah he is and I'll get to the part about him later."

"Then go on, don't let me interrupt you," Uso said.

"Ok so what came next was probably something that I think has benefited me the most today. I began training asking to be a student of some teacher for strategy or combat. I wandered around the place never staying any long until I met some old man who decided to take me in. He's the one who taught me Close Quarters Combat. During my training in order to earn money I would go out and perform on the streets now I wasn't the best musician out there but I was good enough to just barely make enough for simple meals. After I finished my time with the old man Wraith I think they called him I decided to go and get enhancements. Now since I wasn't rich I couldn't afford normal Enhancements so instead I let myself become a guinea pig for some obscure company. Now what they did was enhance my physical and mental abilities and put Aries here directly into my head. From there they gave me special training for operating and maintaining my 'gifts' they called them. Now after that was said and done I decided that it was time to get some gear and get my revenge. I killed hundreds of military personnel on different worlds and thousands of civis who got caught up in it. My rampage eventually stopped when I locked half of a world's population in a space port and cut the power and life support systems. I stood there and watched each one of them die clawing at the doors to get out some of them begging me to stop and let them out. That made me come to my senses I realized that my 'revenge' was actually making me do what those pirates did to me to others. From there I became a merc and did odd jobs for a few years until finally I saw a memo for a new merc group and the pay looked good and it seemed like they were working for good causes so I joined." He looked at the crowded. "There was some other stuff that happened like how I threw away my real name and took to being called Ace no one alive knows my real name other than myself and an android I had met on my travels. So any questions?"

Ace's story struck a chord with Corgan, although he didn't show it outwardly. Until now, he hadn't exactly been sure what to think about the man. His past was much more tragic than Corgan's. The adventure on Icefall was nothing compared to the murders Ace was describing. An innocent person had never died by his hands. "Man, Ace.. I never knew all that about you. That's some tragic ass story bro." He raised his glass after filling it again. "I call a toast to pasts we wish we could change."

"heh, sure," Uso said, holding back that usually self-satisfied smirk as she lifted up her bottle to toast: "Ever Forward,"

One sip later, and a mental note to have Ivory check Ace's head later she turned to Corgan, "You got similar backstory? Ace can play an instrument! I'm like... a base player away from formin a band."

"Not much to tell, really." he said. "My mother raised me by herself on Nepleslia. She was.. a slave in the service industry, you might say. Some ID-SOL jerk got her pregnant and she was scared her owner would make her get rid of it. Pregnant women aren't really a good thing in her line of work, not sure how it even happened." He stopped to take a big drink straight from the bottle, then continued.

"So, one day she cuts the guy's throat and escapes. Gives birth to me. No idea what else to do for money so she did what she was used to. While she was workin' I was out on the streets learning things a kid can't understand. She taught me things. How to survive out there. I was pretty good at picking locks, breaking in to places." Another pause to drink. "Got picked up by a gang lead by a smooth talker, went by 14k. He taught me how to fight, how to shoot, pick better locks. One day I was breaking into this warehouse, right? I got caught by another gang." A bigger drink this time.

He was starting to get really loud a little angry even. "The burned my eyes, cut my arm off at the elbow. Left me in an alley to die, only I didn't. 14k found me, got me a new arm, new eyes. Better than the flesh ones." He finished the bottle, noticed the room started spinning a little. "The guy, 14k jerk. Found out a couple years later he was trading slaves, so I confronted him. Got in a fight and smashed his skull in with the arm he got me. Sorry to disappoint your furry highness, no music in that tale." He stood up, put his helmet on and walked off

"I suppose you have some terrible story too Arc? Parents killed by the fearsome Hanako during the genocide? You happen to have a musical talent?" She asked.

Arccos hadn't really been listening to the other stories. More apparently interested in removing the buttons from her own coat and replacing them with a mismatched hodgepodge of loot, in between drinking down some of the local brew. If she had a sense of taste it wasn't readily apparent.

"My parents were more of a cloning vat. And they were more... Damaged. The fleet broke up at Halna, but good guess for placing me there." She leaned forward at the table, her glass clacking down on the wood tabletop. "Most of the home fleet had some big argument after that, and only me and about three others turned away. The rest of them broke up and reintegrated into other groups. Worked for the Hacker Cult during the Star Army's campaign against the IWL, bombarded Nepleslian networks with information on the 'spacer genocide. Mostly it was a few years of lurking around on a tramp freighter with a couple others, avoiding attention. Less dramatic than you'd think."

Apparently short on words for her own background, Arccos looked between those left at the table. "Cyrus wanted me because I proved I could crack military level stuff. I can play an instrument if I download the right stuff into my head."

".... but can you play bass?" Uso asked.

"Get me back to a place with network access and a few minutes? Yes."

"Ugh, So that's a no. I mean yeah you can just learn to play it but that ain't the same as being able to play." Uso tapped her fingers on the bottle a bit, the alcohol having no effect on her body. "And of course I placed you at Halna, it is all you spacers talk about when it comes to history. Its like nothing ever happened before or after.... Though you seem like you have a good head. Looks like you've already got quite the bag of loot!"

"We only live for about twenty years, so if you give the 'spacers another four or five most of us will forget about the genocide. Good short term, bad long term. We only really talk about Halna since it's the only thing that we all remember. At this stage: I don't actually care anymore. It wasn't worth taking up arms for since it was a pointless war. Right now you just have to survive and get what you can. For now it's buttons. Although why you need a band right now escapes me."

"I've never been in a band. I think it'd be fun." Uso replied, leaning back a bit as she sat down, proping herself up with her arms after putting her helmet back on, "I've got maybe like 9 good years left? I've done just about everything else.... Kinda wishing I had been grabbing buttons from the start. They look good on you."

"Personally I'm replacing everything that started failing. Only thing left of the old me's about..." Arccos held up her hands, about two feet apart "This much of my spinal column, a few skull fragments and a brain full of wires. But once you get to that point you realize how important buttons are. Keeps you grounded, and sort of alive. Just... Normal stuff."

"Fucking ship of Thesus right?!" Uso said with a mean laugh, "I fucking hate that thing and prefer not to think about it... Gotta focus on the normal stuff. Buttons, Coats, taking over backwater planets," The few locals around didn't seem to like how Uso spoke of their world, but if their tone had any impact on Uso she didn't show it. "Why keep the spinal column?... Wait, no, don't answer that. I don't care.... " Uso looked around a bit more, "Wanna see what else this planet has?"

Arccos got about midway geared to explaining it allowed more nerves to connect to internal systems before stopping at the request for a lack of answering. "have something in mind or are we just going to aimlessly walk about?"

"OH, Totally aimless walking. I have no idea what's around here." She replied. *BOOM* A quick blast from her suit's thrusters lifted her up to standing. "Consider it recon."

"Yeah, okay. But I charge extra for bowing and scraping if you want this to look impressive." Arccos stood up, a near inaudible whine from her cybernetics the only counterpoint to the flashy rocketblast methods of Uso.

"Pfft, you can keep all the buttons you want. Consider it a bonus." Uso replied, picking a direction and heading off towards the unburnt parts of the city. The people, for the most part, hiding before she got close.

"I will hold you to that the second you're wearing something which requires buttons to stay on before something you want to be dignified for." Arccos followed, pulling her datajockey from a pocket and thumbing a few commands in. Her own empty suit of armor following step on its installed autopilot.

"Armor not your think? or do you just like feeling naked?" Uso asked.

"More that it means I'm more likely to be shot. And I have a durandium alloy endoskeleton. Protecting my boss, that sort of thing." Arccos tapped her head, a small metallic clinking noise.

"Your dedication to your craft is an inspiration to us all," Uso replied, looking around as they walked through the city. She stopped when she found what looked like a bar, and made her way inside, simply pushing open the door and snapping whatever locking mechanism was in place. The place was abandoned... or at least it seemed that way. A few bottles of green swill from before hidden in the back, and a few instruments laid out on a nearby stage. "So.... looks like they have drums and some kinda... one string guitar thing?" Uso said, "... Also, that durandium protect everything important? Or am I going to lose my spacer if someone gets in a lucky shot?"

"I would prefer to not be shot in the eyes, but it protects everything keeping me alive. Their weapons require them to stand in big rows to shoot us, so I doubt they're that accurate to begin with. I'm taking my chances that I can get in the armor fast enough if we get ambushed." Arccos said without much obvious concern, stepping over to the stage and taking up the guitar thing. "I think it may just be... Broken?"

Ace had heard everyone's story which he already knew thanks to Aries and the great data net he had access to. "Hey Uso since we all told our stories could you tell us yours it quite interesting actually love to hear how you tell it or I could for you if you want." Ace had pulled up Uso's backstory and was reading through it. He whistled. "Man got quite the bounty on your head don't cha." "Stole from almost every organization haven't you quite an accomplishment I mean we all pale in comparison." Ace put his hand on Jacob's shoulder. "Hey Jacob you've told me your first name but what's your last? Also any one wanna hear me do a little song or I could have Aries pull some music files and mix something up for a techno thing if you don't wanna hear me sing and play a guitar." Ace mulled over in his head over what he had heard about Uso's and Arccos's limited time. "Also I don't know much about how your bodies work since I never really cared to learn or have Aries gather and store information for it but couldn't you transfer to a vessel or is that too risky or expensive?"

"People LOOVE to accuse me of shit," Uso said, "For the record, there is no bounty on my head, and there are no charges against me. Far as Yamatai is concerned I'm an upstanding citizen who just so happens to not get along well with the S-A-O-Y."

She would then turn to Arccos, "Broken maybe... or maybe they know how to make it do music? I mean, yeah we could just put some tunes on squad chat but it isn't the same."

She huffed a bit, then turned back to Ace,

"Some people love their ST tech, but I don't think having a copy of me running around in a new body would really do anything for this version of me."

"What about high grade repairs you know make it good as knew? If money is a problem then I might know a guy who might owe me a couple favors. And with the stuff you've done I'm surprised you don't have a bounty guess there is still gaps in the data I'll need to update it next time I get the chance."

"Uh hu.... and what stuff have I done exactly?" Uso asked, turning her attention toward him.

"Lets see you've been arested by the SAOY for awhile then released and you've been in Neplesia during the neko-ban doing god knows what with your way of doing things and things you do. This kinda peaks my intrest I might look into you more when I get back home I love secrets." Ace started to pull some old files from the his data banks. "Well since I told you all about my past might as well one of the things I did. You see I had found some pretty ancient music files and after salvaging what I could I put em togther to make a new song and this is what happened." Ace turned on some speakers and played the file.

After the song finished Ace got up from his seat. "Hey guys I'm heading out with Jacob for a bit says has somewhere he wants to show me just me." Ace then went out the door with Jacob.

Arccos remained quiet throughout Ace's rapidfire questions, and the back and forth with Uso. She didn't speak because she knew this whole thing wasn't going to end well. You don't dig up and reveal your boss' secrets: Especially if your boss is literally paying you to install her as a tyrant. She just sat on the edge of the stage, idly messing with the strange one string guitar. The thing had a strange tinny quality to the sound when she plucked its one string, and while she knew enough trivia about instruments to fret a few different notes it was clear she wasn't about to play a full song on the thing.

As Ace left, she just watched him go. "The kid is cocky for having a single AI in him. He's going to get shot, and bleed out in a ditch."

"I know what you mean, I feel like I'm already down two soldiers. You think getting paid to kill people for a living would make you less moody..."

During all of this activity, the member of Ragnarok known as Corgan was wandering the streets of the city in full power armor. The alcohol had him a little confused about which direction the ship was in. After a while, he just sat down and looked at the stars. A large passing dog mistook him for a plant and urinated on him. This only made him laugh until he almost started crying.

The dog didn't run, just looked around in confusion. "You're a funny little fella. Here I am on another world, a half genetically engineered soldier in powered armor and a dog pisses on me." He said to the dog. It looked like a stray, all covered in dirt and nothing but skin and bones. "Listen boy. Come with me back to the ship. I'll get ya some food." Corgan stood up after rubbing the dog gently on the head. He started walking back to the freighter followed by the emaciated stray.

A few days after the initial battle of Osman City.

---

A massive dust storm had enveloped the city. In any direction you looked all you could see was a dark, brown, cloud of sand. The Mountain slowed the storm quite a bit, so by the time it was directly over the city the sand was slowly raining down, rather than cutting through the air quickly like sand paper. The people of the city were hiding in doors, as there wasn't much they could do until the storm had passed.

Inside of the freighter that had brought Ragnarok to the City, Uso had called everyone together. She was dressed in her usual form fitting black bodysuit, only now with a dark green tie that matched her hair tied around her neck.

"So a few of you have been running off on your own and nearly getting killed. Dealing with the locals is supposed to be the EASY part of this job. If you fuck it up and get killed that's on you. Don't expect me to have an ST copy of you just sitting around so I can bring you back to life. Plus think how bad that makes me look when I get my nice, power armored, soldiers killed by some stone throwing primitives." There was a slight annoyance creeping into her voice as she spoke, and she would end up having to take a short pause before continuing,

"Our last supply run also brought back a new Ragnaroker, 'Scrabler', everyone feel free to say hi later.

We also picked up a few things for our growing adoptive family of kids. Julie and Jacob have a room on the other ship. I expect everyone here to keep them away from the Power Armors and explosives."

A few moments would pass, before Uso would continue,

"That brings us to the Business side of things. I need to go on a supply run with Hellcat. I'll grab some food and a bed-thing for your Ragnadog but the goal here is going to be striking a deal with anyone willing to pay us for this place's natural resources. This is how we're gonna make bank so I need it to go smoothly. That means you idiots are staying here. But, if there is anything you want or need let me know and I'll see what I can do to get it. So far I'm thinking a large scale shield generator would be nice for warding off storms.

Locally we have a few jobs that need to be taken care of. The local general working for us, 'Reginald Braith' is getting some soldiers together for Raph to train up. We're going to need to keep an eye on him.

We've got a dozen small cities and towns nearby that need to be brought on board our endevor. They have a better idea of what to expect this time, and I don't expect them all to just start obeying us right off the bat.

You guys also need to get that Ragnachopper up and running.

... So who's doin what?" Uso asked the gathered group of soldiers.

"Hey yea Uso I need more nades used up nearly all my sonics to contain the fire. I also need some EMPs, EMIs, breaching, incin, tear gas, nerve toxin, and genetic scan grenades I would like to modify them so I could take scans of the wildlife here."

"Harmful chemicals would be nice. and possibly empty grenade canisters. i will take the duty of over looking the general."

This planet has quite a lot of flora and fauna here that you could probaly use but chemicals from off world would be nice.

"I'll fix the chopper. Also Scrabler your kind of late but I'll get ya up to speed follow me." Ace began to walk off to the side out of earshot of the others.

Scrablers voice was grainy " I will follow." and follows Ace.

Ace leaned in towards Scrabler and dropped his voice to a whisper. "Hey I'm not really ok with what Uso's doing here. I mean she tried to kill a kid. So I've decided to umm lets say obstruct her. Can you help?"

Scrabler voice drops to meet Aces, "what type of help? And why was a child slain?"

"She didn't kill the kid some of us stopped her. Here I'll let you meet him." Ace motioned for Jacob to come over. "And the help I would like is your help to get us off world or stop Uso."

"Yes i will aid." said Scrabler

"Ok thanks. Since you want to watch over the general could you try and get the general and Raph on our side. Use Uso's want to kill Julie as a way to convince Raph."

Errowyn was in her kawarime, sitting in space, just floating as the little ship kept falling and missing the planet. She had tapped into where the meeting was taking place not to miss anything. Julie was in the back of the Kawarime in awe at seeing her world from another view point. And the billions upon billion of stars spread out before her view. Errowyn could rerlate to the little girls feeling and excitement. She was that way when she left the testing rooms just out of the Vats, for her first flight into space. She half listened to Julie babble and ask questions, letting one of her ghost sisters answer Julias questions.

She had hoped Cyrus kicked some butt to get his soldiers to cover the vitals on the F6 to protect the delicate parts of the ship. Just as she was doing with the Kawarime up in space. Errowyn had texted all the stuff she needed for her Kawarime. Thankful for all the endless hours, she pent with her Kawarime working under the Senior Deck Crew Chief of her ship. She could do a lot more now in keeping her Kawarime combat ready. It may look like crap compared to those under constant care and a full maintenance shop. But her "5" was at least well kept and cared for. She just needed several more Hellfires anti-ship missiles. But at least guaranteed 1 she used to save some Serious Rag-Mercs butts during the initial battle when they made their presence known.

Raphael leaned against the far wall, a e-cig held between his lips. He watched as the others interacted and moved, noticing tension within the gathered group. He let out a plume of smoke as he waited for Reginald to bring his men. Raph sighed and stayed silent.

Cyrus slowly made his way into the room, settling in next to Raph. They didn't say anything, only exchanging glances. Cyrus moved up to the group. "I will get the Ragnacopter ready to go." He said nodding at Uso.

Corgan shrugged from his seat. "Guess I could use some more shotgun shells and some grenades. A couple concussion and a couple frags. Wish they had better food on this rock, we wouldn't have to bring in so much." He glanced over at Cyrus. "Where do ya want us, boss? I'd like to deal with those small towns, don't much feel like babysitting this Breith, Braith whatever."

"Hey Raph can I talk to you for a moment?"

Raphael looked over at the Ragnarok merc. "What is it?" The Elysian asked taking another puff from his E-cig.

"Got something to talk about to you...In private."

Scrabler turns to Ace and follows him.

"Fine." He said turning to follow Ace.

Outside

"Ok here's the deal Scrabler and I are trying to protect Jacob and his little sis. Uso goes against that as she has demonstrated before. So we are trying to get the kids away from her or stop her. Can you help?" Ace looked around to see if any one else had heard him.

Scrabler asks "what is Uso capable of?"

"Well she is capable of killing anyone who gets in her way to get what she wants doesn't matter what they are man woman or child. She'll probaly kill both the kids as she'll see them as threats."

"Well she has not met some thing like me." Scrabler turns to Jacob "Child are you afraid?"

Raphael looked between the pair. "I am taking care of Julie, nothing is going to happen to her." He gave Ace a sympathetic look. "The children will be fine as long as Cyrus and I keep an eye out, and trust me we are."

"You can't stay with them forever they will eventually be alone at some point and what happens then?"

Raphael's expression turned ice cold. "Do not question my resolve boy..." He said glaring. "I am soon to be the head of an intergalactic intel organization. You do not think I can protect two children? You truly do not understand the depth of my capabilities..." He said angrily.

"With all due respect Raph I do not doubt your abilities but you are only one man and the kids will not always be together and you still need to take care of yourself and due your duties." Ace had been unbulked by Raph's tone and actions. "For example you are here with us and Jacob but what about Julie? Who is watching her?"

He waved his hand in dismissal. "Errowyn is with her, and I trust Errowyn. They are in orbit, nothing could touch Julie." His eyes came to rest on Ace again. "But I understand what you are trying to get across. Once I get my operatives trained, then I will have people who can guard them. Plus I am part of the Black Viper pirates. I know plenty of people who could keep an eye on Julie when I am not able to. And if push comes to shove then I will send them to my family home on New Elysia. I might not be able to return home, but my cousins would take them in." He replied.

Ace seeing that he wouldn't be able to get through to Raph decided it was better to just drop the subject at least for now. "Alright but if one of them dies don't say I didn't warn you." Ace turned around and wave his hand at Scrabler and Jacob to follow. "Cmon theres not much else we can do." Ace turned back to Raph. "Also I'm the one watching after Jacob. And you might wanna teach Julie how to defend herself at least." With that Ace hoped that it would be good enough to at least get something through to Raph.

Scrabler begins to turn to follow after Ace, but as he does so his cyclops eye flashes red and he spasms uncontrollably. spewing gibberish and morbid words.

Ace seeing this immediately tackles Scrabler. "Oh no you don't not now. Hey Raph can ya help me hold him down he's glitching. Something had gone wrong during his ST and now hes like this kinda like a shell. I need to resync him but I can't do that and hold him down."

Scrabler begins to scream loudly in different voices that are not his own as his durandium knife switches out from his arm and begins to flail wildly.

Ace took a couple of cuts from the knife. "Tch. Luckily I have some antidotes on me but too much and I won't make it." Ace deciding to keep himself alive instead of keeping Scrabler in one piece broke the arm with the knife until he was sure it was useless. "I'm starting the resync now if this goes much farther he'll start using poison sprays and gases."

Scrabler looks at his now severed arm in what could look like anger. He shoves Ace off of him with strength that his thin arm would not normaly possess. He stands up and grabs his severed arm and turns to jacob focusing on him with his one eye.

Ace pulls out one of his last remaining EMP grenades and chucks it at Scrabler it goes off and causes the droid to power down. "God why of all things would it be this." Ace jacked a cord into Scrabler's head and putt all of weapons on safe. "There now he won't be a threat. Ace then resynced Scrabler and rebooted him. "Of all the times." Ace shook his head. "I need to get this kid a gas mask and some armor."

Scrablers eye turns on but is green now. he turns to look at his arm now laying in the corner of the room. "Oh my, that doesnt look good."

"I'll fix it later. But for now I need to conduct more syncs and failsafes on you so that this doesn't happen again. I'll sync Aries to your system as well so that I won't have to manually do it next time."

Scrabler "What, pfff, I don't need that I am fine." Scrabler attempts to stand but fails. "Ok, maybe for awhile. But then your going to take it out of my head."

"You won't even notice that Aries is there." Ace stopped for a second. "Well maybe you might but Aries will only help you and either way I'm doing it it wasn't a suggestion."

Scrabler squinted at him but then shrugged. "Ok, but if it gets annoying then its outa there."

Meanwhile, back at the meeting

"Well, Corgan, when I get this to all work out we won't have to worry about eating meals from a bag," Uso said with a slight chuckle, She looked around a bit more and then settled her eyes on Corgan,

"Shit, are you the only guy wanting to go out to the city? I don't want you wandering around on your own.... especially if Hellcat ain't there to back you up..."

Ace returned to the room. "Ugh that was a mess. So whats the problem?"

Cyrus sighed. "Jesus you panzies. Arccos and I will go with you. Scrabler and Ace work on the Ragnacopter. Raph can handle training them by on his own." Cyrus said annoyed how things were turning out. He turned an moved to go equip himself. "Full battle rattle in 15 minutes. As soon as the storm is over we will move out." He called as he walked away.

Raph reentered the room as Cyrus left. "Cyrus is right. I can handle the training by myself." He said with little emotion.

"I'll help Cyrus and Corgan in the city. Gives me something half useful to do." Arccos grumbled from her seat at the table, idly prodding at the datajockey in front of her, "Gotta say that it's sort of weird being an electronic warfare specialist on a world without electricity, though. Anyone not going, I can remotely operate their armor for extra muscle on our end. Uso, I can also probably connect you with someone willing to trade some Junker drones for mining or what have you in exchange for raw materials."

"'spacers mostly trade for raw materials anyway. I know a few people I can keep quiet if you want to trade through them and not make a splash." Arccos stood quietly, not bothering to look up. Battle rattle in fifteen minutes, and she didn't really feel like expanding on an offer for trade just this moment. Stepping towards the hangars, she called up her armor to march from its own dwelling and join her.

Corgan grinned at Uso. "What, you don't trust me by myself in the city?" He said innocently. Then he nodded to what Cyrus said. "Probably better that way, I can handle one city, but a dozen might be more challenging." He stood up and stretched, then went to his cabin and started going through what weapons and ammo he had left. 1 full 30 round mag for his Styrling Auto Twelve, another mag he needed to refill, and his HHG he didn't use at all. This time he thought he'd bring it with him instead of the shotgun.

He looked over at his bed. The dog he had found was curled up on it sleeping. After he'd brought it to the freighter and fed it, he gave it a bath in the city. The dog turned out to be some sort of brown and black Shepherd, maybe Nepleslian or even some ancient breed brought from Earth. "It" was also a "he". He hadn't thought of a name yet, just called him dog. The animal still looked emaciated, but not as much. "Man, you sleep all the time, dog." He said, shaking his head. "I can't bring you with me today though.. Too dangerous."

"Ok well I'm off to fix the chopper...again." Ace left and got his tools before going to the chopper.

Ace arrived at the chopper and before getting started on the repairs he went inside. "Lets see are they still in here? Ah yes they are!" Ace pulled out a deep gene scanning device and a data slate which would tell him what the status of the many parts of the chopper would be in. "I'll have to use this until I can get some gene scan grenades it'll be tedious but I'll still get data." Ace stored the scanner away for later use and turned on the data slate. "Sheesh there's a lot that needs to be fixed. Well anyways with that said lets get started." And with that Ace put his tools on the ground and began working on the Ragnachopper.

"Sounds like you've all got your work assignments then. Arc, forward me any information you got on those traders. Cyrus, take Corgan, Ace, that robot guy, and whoever else you feel like in the Ragnachopper and start extending our influence."

Uso would then head for the door, grabbing a datapad that was already bleeping on reciept of Arccos' intel, and sent a message off to Hellcat, "You ready? We got some work to do."

The Ragnachopper itself had been unpacked from the freighter, the various blades and other peices of equipment that made the machine too bulky to fit inside had all been laid out and were ready to be reattached. For the moment the ship's own force field was keeping the dirt and dust from the outside off of the chopper... but that wouldn't be in place forever. Meanwhile, down the coastline, just baaarely at the edge of their vision was the next city over. It was much smaller than this one, instead of a sprawling city filled with various businesses, it was more of a hub for gathering algaiea from boats and then drying it for long term storage. Of course, by now the people who had fled the battle earlier had reached that city and were spreading word of what had happened.

Outside the ship, under the shields

"Ok fellas I'm almost done repairing gonna start reattaching stuff soon but man we had some pretty decayed parts the power cells were beginning to corrode so I had to replace em with the spares. She should be ready in a couple hours." Ace picked up one of the corroded power cells and scanned it. "Hmm still has a bit of stuff in it. I'd hate to waste it." Ace pondered what to do with it for a few seconds before tossing it to Scrabler. "Hey you wanted chemicals right so there you go. You can work with that right?"

"I imagine he can." the two were interrupted. Arccos tromping in, lazily marching in step with her own armor. With a few mental commands she had it shifting the larger parts of the Ragnachopper in assistance. "Also; you may want to be more subtle. If you want to have the ability to kill boss lady blacklaw, you really shouldn't ask her to just go out and pick up weapons specifically designed to kill her species."

"Well that was one thing but I do want to take readings of this planet and it wild life. Plus I don't even need them cause I have this." Ace pulled out the deep scanning device. "I had kept this stored on the chopper for when we stop on a planet with new wildlife and I've modified it so that is can take readings from genetic scan grenades if I've modified them." Ace put the scanner back away. "Also I don't plan on killing her it just for a last resort if she goes for the kids I'll have a sure fire way to kill her. I'm tired of watching people die in front of me so I just prepping for the worst. The only thing I'm planning is helping out the towns folk. I know what its like to be oppressed and I don't to be a part of something that puts that onto others." Ace returned to his work but kept talking. "I also am looking for a crew for my own ship that I've been working on. I've been making it out of parts I find that are compatible with each other its pretty cheap since I just salvage and its almost done now. My primary goal is to get the two kids off world." Ace pulled a scanning grenade out of his pack. "Plus I have this right here so I don't need to worry. This is the one I have and I gave another to Jacob after teaching him how to use it and when he should use it. I gave him something that he can use to defend himself against every single one of us including myself so he should be prepared in case someone does attack him. I plan to do the same with his lil sis when she is old enough." Ace stood up. "There done now she'll fly good as new. Also Arccos I would very much like it if you wouldn't tell Uso about my plans they won't work if she knows about them and she'll definitely kill the kids, me, and all those involved so that it doesn't happen again in the future. Plus I do have one last 'Ace' up my sleeve as a last resort but I can only use it once since it kills me in the process." Ace changing his solemn tone said one last thing. "Do you have anything to add?"

"Oh. Quite a lot." Arccos stood more or less quietly throughout Ace's whole explanation. Remotely piloting her armor to doing various menial heavy lifting to assist in the reconstruction of the Ragnachopper. "First of all, those grenades you asked for are literally weapons designed to kill her people. They release radiation and chemicals, so they won't work if she's in armor. Origin makes good armor. Second, she can just as easily have gone 'why not use something which would be rechargable and not require multiple trips to resupply'. Chances are she already knows about half the reason you're getting them."

Arccos didn't seem to move, stock still like a statue.

"Third, you just admitted to giving the kid the means and know how to kill me. I don't intend on hurting them, but I don't appreciate that you thought forward to killing me without... Y'know. Talking to me about this stuff first."

"I...I was going to tell you but I'm so paranoid right now I mean I'm basically involved in commiting the same kind of acts that left me scared as a child and I just don't want to do that. Look you do seem like a nice person but I just don't know who to trust ok after a whike of being alone with nothing but hate and grief as your company you get to be that way. I thought that I had over come it but I guess I haven't. The kid knows to only use it if his life is in danger and he has promised me that he won't share the info with anyone else not unless I say its ok. Plus most of the ways to 'kill' the members just disable them like say an EMP grenade for an android or freespacer."

"EMP would shut down the life support keeping my meatbits alive, Ace. Well... Could, not would." She looked slightly perturbed. She didn't exactly advertise her own weaknesses after all, so it wasn't as though this sort of thing was far out of realms of possibility.

"I know about the whole bio stuff needs its basic elements to survive as a being so I modified the EMP for you slightly I made it too weak to be able to target life support systems. I had a Freespacer friend back from my early years on the right path... He's...no longer with us to say the least at least not in body. You might know his name though."

"It's plausible I could know his handle from polysentience. But one thing you should know about us is that we don't do that 'standardisation' thing.'

"Standardization?" Ace looked very confused not knowing what the term was being used for. "Also he is still alive in spirit at least I'm just looking for a compatible body for him."

"A lot of my parts aren't produced by freespacers. So unless I gave you the specs, I doubt you'd have a perfectly calibrated electromagnetic charge to just knock me out. Chances are you're working either too weak or too strong."

"Well I didn't account for that if you would allow me to I could scan you so I don't mess this up and kill you or I need something else to help with this god damn paranoia and I've been having nightmares of my past I keep seeing all of my family and friends slaughtered in front of me night after night and I-I just can't take it its driving me insane. I...I..." Ace just broke down not able to finish what he was saying. He let out a scream then passed out as another wave of his horrific memories hit him.

Arccos could only really look on dumbfounded. It may have been something about a Freespacer's familiarity with death, or maybe just a lack of sympathy... Actually mainly it was a worry he might lash out at her. She didn't approach, or do anything to really stop what she saw go on. Just one shout out over the sand.

"Medic! We have a man down!"

Before a medic could arrive Ace stood back up and put his hand out to Arccos. "There is no need for medical personnel to see to this body I am simply repressing Ace until he has calmed down though I do not know how long that will take."

Arccos' palm met her face, her synthetic voice producing a strange sounding sigh. "I'll let the medic decide that. You just went nuts and passed out."

"No Ace had a mental break down and I repressed him. Oh! You must not understand I am Aries it is a pleasure to meet you in the flesh."

"I see..." Arccos rubbed her palm up over her forehead, sweeping her hair back. "I'd still feel better to know that you're... Both? Healthy?"

"I can not determine what my 'health' is but my status is optimal while Ace's health physically is fine his mental health redlined recently causing shock. I came online and repressed him because of this so I do not know what caused it. What was the last thing that happened before he collapsed?" Aries now in Ace's body looked at Arccos with a stern stare. "You weren't pushing him about anything that was troubling him were you?" Aries went back to a neutral expression. "You are a freespacer so I would chose your words wisely for I can shut you down here and now."

Arccos smiled with a small shake of her head. "Right, so that's what it's like... So for a one, I'm already going commando since the ship's getting ready to take off once the storm is done. No non-wired networking going on right now in my head. For a two, all systems that could be shut down to physically stop me are closed, internal and non-networked. Only a damn idiot wires something into 'em which can put them in the grinder wirelessly. Third, nothing standard on a freespacer could allow them to be harmed electronically, so I honestly find what you just implied there both uninformed and sliiiightly racist..."

She tapped her pocket slightly, failing to extract a cigarette. Out... Better try and get Uso to do a run for her...

"And what I was pushing him on was... Him giving weapons to folk with every reason in the world to kill both myself and him. So long story short is if you want to take this electronic: Come at me. If you want to play moral highground, he's the one threatnin' me."

"Oh you mean his 'plan' to protect those beings? Oh well then there is no need to worry I turned most of those weapons into duds. The only ones active are those who could be possible threats in the future there are three such targets of which you are not one of." Aries looked over to the power armor moving around the area doing different tasks. "No wireless connections huh? You liar." Aries mumbled to himself before sending an dummy intrusion command through the suit and into Arccos. "You did remember the connection you had with your suit when you told me that you weren't connected to anything wirelessly right?" Aries said with a cocky smile.

The intrusion attempt would return only a false hit, Arccos raising an eyebrow and holding out the Datajockey still plugged into her head that was slotted in her back pocket. "Yeah, I remembered. Always connect with a proxy, supply physical when you can't get external. Try all you like, anything that intrudes with what's sent to this from my head just instantly disconnects it... Cyrus hired me for this stuff and not you for a reason."

Aries was amazed at the forethought that Arccos put out. "Cyrus didn't even know about many of my abilities since he only knows what Ace told him and even Ace doesn't know everything that I'm capable of. Nice work there though that does only protect you and not the suit if I had been serious there I could sent out a shadow signal with the intrusion command and taken the suit turning it against you. This is a good chat and a great experience. Well with that said anything you want to know about me?" Aries began to move around the area checking periodically on Ace's status. Aries stopped for a second remembering what she had seen Arccos do a little while ago and pulled a pack of cigarettes old out of Ace's pack and tossed them to Arccos. "Here Ace doesn't use these any more they're from back when he was still a hopeless wreck you know smoking drinking that kinda stuff."

Snatching the pack of cigarettes from the air, Arccos stared at them a second before tapping one out of the pack, grasping the filter in synthetic teeth. She'd taken a few strides towards her armor which had been rendered inert by the intrusion. Something else she'd put in there perhaps? Whatever it was seemed to require her to jack it directly into her own little personal network, grasping a wire from the backpack on it and stabbing it into one of the ports before it returned to remote animation.

"I'd ask a few questions, but I'm not sure you'd answer a lot of 'em." The lighter came out of her pack. Smoke drifting out over the sand. "Only one is 'can both of you be active at once?'"

Aries watched the actions of Arccos letting out a quick grin when Aries saw her connect to her armor. "Well yes we can both be 'active' at the same time we do it a lot actually when he needs me or really most of the time actually we are both 'active' but if asking about operating a body we can but he tromps my control though I can operate anything that is connected to my PN at any time." Aries paused for a moment before continuing. "Also just because you were able to get rid of a command from something doesn't mean I haven't done anything else like say for example I put a virus into the suit that would destroy certain systems of yours you would be dead right now right. And you could've just allowed me into your PN as well were I can wreck havoc if I want." Aries stopped again thinking hard about something. "Ok I've decided I'll answer any of your questions you seem trustworthy enough to keep my secerts and strong enough to not have them forced out of you. So go ahead shoot I'm all ears."

Arccos puffed a little smoke from her nose, unjacking the armor's physical connection and shoving the wire back into its position. Taking up the datajockey; now disconnected, she swiped a gloved thumb over the screen a few times.

"You sent a dummy intrusion command. Unless you were trying real hard to shut it down, it stands to reason that the one who rendered the armor inert wasn't you."

"That is true it was your self-defense program wasn't it?"

"We're on a 'don't let the locals take your stuff' basis. The armor shuts down once disconnected from proxy control, and needs an encryption key which automatically changes based on an algorithm way too many times every millisecond. Need to physically jack it into some hardcore quantum processing to break into it without my own connection."

"Oh there's a no shring term basis but I thought that I had detected other signals though ancient they are still active but barely it could be a residue from who ever was here before though or it could be another operative that I do not know about. And your algorithm repeats every two hours by the way I noticed it while we were talking then sent the dummy to check its strength the signal was to weak to acquire an encrypted signal so it wouldn't have broken through unless the encryption matched exactly and since I got a false hit back it means it got through so my observation was correct. My suggestion is that you add a burst code scrambler to protect against it."

"Quantum processing is based on infinite variability... Two hours of infinite variation without a match is still infinity. It's kept me out of trouble more than you'd think..."

"I noticed and understand that but be careful there are some actual entities that will eat that stuff. Any ways it is nice to talk to another girl it does get kind of weird in a males body at times."

"A planetary singularity based network eats everything... There's some stuff you just can't touch out there." Arccos ashed off her smoke, looking up as the dust pattered against the shielding. At the revelation of Aries' gender she didn't really bat an eye, chances are the only one who wouldn't find the idea of an AI in an unusual place strange would be a Freespacer. Arccos just... continued thoughtfully thumbing over the datajockey. "I can probably help you with that."

Externally, Arccos worked her suit of droned power armor idly to keep the landing area clear. The Ragnachopper would have to take off sooner or later, and chances are the freighters taking off would result in some unpleasant amounts of sand. Best to keep anything they didn't want buried clear and put away. In person, Arccos seemed to switch between thumbing at her datajockey and flipping between about a half dozen small external memory drives she had about her person. Whatever was going on wasn't quite evident, as most of it was kept without wires. Maybe Arccos still wasn't the most trusting soul; but if Aries caught a glimpse at the one visible screen it was apparent some sort of modification of code was going on. Whatever it was, was going on fast.

"I got this while I was still waiting for three of my limbs to be finished and installed. Gotta get around while adapting to full iron... That sort of thing." a flip of a small drive over to Aries in Ace, "It's... What's it... ARVP. Augmented Reality Virtual Presenting. Lets you use an avatar to appear on people's HUD's and such as if you're standing around them, and you can synch it up to a holo-projector... Won't give you a real body of your own, but at least people can see you for what you are; you won't be treated as weird other Ace."

"Well thank you for the offer and I will use it but...you know what nevermind it isn't important. Oh and Ace is awake now would you like to talk to him?" Aries began to make her avatar. "Oh before I go I have to tell you Ace is a really good person but he can be a bit...out there to say the least but he means well he never really thinks about himself. I mean he's even been working on making me a body which is why he so obssesed with discovering and salvaging things because he says that he'll never know what he might be able to use."

"Does that make you the Freespacer without a body he mentioned?"

"No I do not know of that person they were with Ace before I was intergrated I was merely a prototype AI but he just sees me as another living being and just like his freespacer friend he wants me to have a body as well." Aries had finally finished her avatar but decided to wait till Ace was back in control to test it out.

"Well, good for him. I'll probably leave you two to it. Have to get ready for battle rattle..." Arccos called over her armor, fiddling at the neck until it opened.

"Thank you want me to ride with you Ace won't be battle ready for a while I can help optomize the systems or your armor."

"Unless you're able to pilot without him, it's probably best you keep in him. He is our pilot after all..."

"I can."

Arccos hopped up on the open armor, slipping her legs within and flicking a cigarette into the sand. "I don't really care enough about the armor's systems to want it perfectly tuned, if you want to ride I can give you a partition from my control node to inhabit. Nothing else I've got on me has enough processing oomph to keep you volitional..."

"I can do you one better." Aries said as Ace's own armor walked up. "Now its time to swap."

With that Ace regained control. "Fuck what happened? Oh Aries your controlling the suit is there trouble?"

"It should be fine Ace."

"Well I don't want you getting hurt ok."

"She already knows about everything she is a good person."

Ace grumbled. "Ok then I guess I'll pilot the chopper you two get in I'll fly ya where you need to go but I'm gonna take a nice long nap when we get there."

Standing in her armor, Arccos stopped to watch the two talk amongst one another. Reaching back to tie her hair into a loose ponytail before sealing the torso of the armor around herself, and affixing the helmet. "She can't get hurt in armor... Or really anything physically so long as she has an escape route. Might want to invest in a receiver and some storage for an AI bug out pod."

"I have one but I installed bio materials into my suit so its basically like a second skin draw back is I feel everything."

"I have no idea why you would do that... Sounds like its just there to facilitate pain..."

"No I had put it in because of my fighting style since its a reactionary art that transfer force I need to be able to feel that force in order to use it effectively." Ace got in the chopper. "Well hop in lets go."

"Best wait for Cyrus and Corgan... Client's orders are to subjugate the cities surrounding the Algaeia sea." Arccos said, taking up a seat on a pile of empty boxes. Waiting for the others.

Having overheard Uso's orders, Corgan hurriedly grabbed his HHG and headed towards the area where the power armor was stored. It was easy to locate his armor, he had marked it in the HUD of his cybernetic eyes. To him his name floated above it in bright letters. The armor's helmet was on a shelf next to it. He put his gun down, then reached over and pressed a button on the collar of his armor. It split down the sides, opening like a clam shell. The back section leaned back at the lumbar region. At the same time, the front leaned forward at the waist, even the arms.

He stepped into the armor and slipped his arms into the armor. The front and back sections folded back up and the armor automatically sealed with a slight hiss. He grabbed the helmet, placed it over his head and twisted it to lock it in place. The HUD flashed on, and he switched off his personal HUD mentally. He picked up his gun, starting to walk towards the freighter's outer door. Sure hope I don't need more ammo, he thought. That thought made him run back to his room and swap his HHG with his Auto Twelve. He shrugged and threw his duffel bag over his shoulder. "Later dog." He said on his way out, then walked out to the chopper.

On arrival, Corgan would find Arccos waiting; sitting on a pile of empty boxes that once held the parts of the Ragnachopper, helmet sat next to her. While mainly Ragnarok support staff, she was geared up with a handful of weapons: Stun baton sheathed at the small of her back, Paragon Infantry Pistol at her hip and an HHG holstered and securely fastened in an underarm holster. The webbing holding on her backpack looking to have been extended out to its limit to fasten over the power armor. An expression best described as complex rested on her face.

"...Hey Corgan."

Corgan nodded at Arccos. "Hey. This mission's a bit easier than the last, eh? Mostly thanks to our Neko Queen, of course, for providing this power armor." He took a look around at all the empty boxes, noting the lack of a chopper. He could hear it, though so it couldn't be too far. The fact that the helicopter was finished so quickly surprised him until he realized with Arccos, her armor, and Ace there were three individuals working. He noticed the expression on Arccos's face but decided not to mention it.

Arccos just gave a small nod, not saying a word as Ace arrived and landed the Ragnachopper. "Hey copter is fixed for those who haven't noticed."

Aries walked out of the chopper using Ace's power armor."I will be assisting you this time."

The sight of Ace in the cockpit and his armor walking around talking caused him to do a double take. He recalled the AI Ace had in his head. "Is that.. Aries?" He asked, obviously surprised to see Ace's armor moving with no pilot. "Looks like you and Arccos really were busy, Ace."

"Yes that's Aries and she's been able to do that since the beginning if your talking about her operating the suit without me in it."

"We were busy, though."

Errowyn seeing the storm pass on, and the dust cloud settling, it was time to see how bad things were in the new capital city. She maneuvered the craft and dove into the atmosphere. The force of the maneuver sent Julia tumbling into her seat and was caught by the automatic safety straps activating thus trapping Julia in her seat where she would be safe and couldn't reach anything. She flew over the compound, seeing them put the finishing touches to the Ragnacopter. She thought to herself, ~~we definitely need a better place for the ships.~~

She used the Kawarime to blow the dust and dirt away, clearing up a landing area for her Kawarime. She worked the controls deftly to get rid as much dirt and dust away from the F6, other ship and clearing out courtyard they was using as landing area for the ships and now the helicopter.

Corgan walked over to the chopper and put his duffel bag under his seat. About that time, Errowyn landed her Kawarime. The dust her landing blew into the air made him thankful for his armor and the force field. Hopefully soon we'll have the manpower and resources to build a real landing zone, maybe even a base of our own, he thought. "So, guess we're just waiting for Cyrus now." Corgan said to the rest of their little group.

Errowyn powered down her Kawarime as the canopy rose open. Using the external P.A. "Hey! Raph! Come pick up your charge!" She released Julia from her confinement and then got up her self and picked up Julie. She clambered over the edge and dropped to the ground. with Julie in her arms. She turned Juliee over to Raph. "We gotta find ourselves a better spot. If these storms keep coming through here." The Kawarimes Canopy closed tightly. She moved around her Kawarime, making sure panels were secured closed. Seeing the helicopter out and being loaded up. "Hey Raph. Whats with the copter?"

"I feel like we could use some more people around here I have a few favors I could call in if we want."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back