Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

2014 Donation Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gather 'round, people of Star Army!

For starters I want to give huge THANK YOU to all the people subscribed to Star Army as Site Supporters and to everyone who has chipped in to keep the site alive in the past. Your ten bucks or other amount per month goes a long way and has kept the site running.

If you're not familiar with Star Army's donation drives, each year (historically, but not always, in March) we've done a donation drive with the bar at the top of the forums and were usually are able to hit the $500 mark. That amount would get us much closer to breaking even. This is what our goal will be for the 2014, too. During the drive, a banner (sometimes a bar that gets filled up) is at the top of the forums that will link people to this topic.

For those who've never donated or haven't lately, this donation request is for you. You might be shocked to know that the Site Supporters I mentioned above consist of just 6 people right now. You might also be surprised that Star Army only had one non-subscribing donator so far this year, and ironically from a guy who was banned over two years ago. Surely the people who actually roleplay here on a daily basis can do better than a banned dude. So I'm asking you, faithful SARPers, to step up your game and help support the site.

Allow me to sweeten the deal. I'm going to be giving out special gifts to donators:
  1. If we reach the $500 donation goal, everyone who donated $10+ will be mailed a NEW Star Army iron-on patch. The design of the patch is not yet determined, but the new Yamatai flag design is a good candidate. We can vote on this in a poll to see what's popular. If we don't reach the goal I'll still send you an NSMC patch.
  2. A character of your choice will be commissioned as part of a special YE 36 "Yearbook" page drawn by Raph, the wonderful artist that has done hundreds of chibi artwork for us. Here's an example. There will be a limit of 20 spots. Request them in the Site Supporter's forum.
  3. I will break out my rusty ol' drawing skills and attempt to fulfill an art request for you. It can also be a wiki article writing request. Request them in the Site Supporter's forum.
Anyone else who wants to donate "prizes" for donators, please post your ideas in the thread.

Stretch Goals:
  1. $700: Everybody gets double art/article requests from Wes. The site breaks even!
  2. $900: We'll pick a second patch design and mail it to all the donators along with the other new one.
  3. $1100: I'll commission artwork for a new, expanded starmap from Tyler Young--the artist of the site's background, The Ghost Nebula. This will allow for us to fulfill the community request of more remote frontier systems.
If we somehow get higher than the above, additional stretch goals will be added.

Even if you can't give anything, you are still appreciated. Money keeps the servers running, but it's your forum posts and RP that keep the community running. Thank you for being a part of Star Army.

To donate or subscribe to Star Army, visit the "Account Upgrades" section of your user control panel.

Edit: The donation drive ends November 20, 2014.

Current progress: 3 donations totalling $140! Thank you!

I'll see what I can kick in soon; I just got here, so I want everything to stay, and be improved, during my time.

I know, it's selfish. XD

Reactions: Wes
Current progress: $210 of $500 (42%) from 5 donators. You guys rock!

Well, it looks like everyone that is going to give has given, so I've changed the donation notice box so that it can be dismissed like any other notice. It'll still run until Nov 20th, but non-donators won't have to look at it anymore if you they want to. We only made it to just under 50% of our goal, but it's still very helpful to the site. With the holidays coming up, I won't run another drive until well into next year. In total we had 9 one-time donators and 3 ongoing subscribers, not counting any old subscribers that are using the pre-forum-integrated system. Thank you to everybody who chipped in and don't forget to claim your rewards in the supporters forum if you want to use them.

Wow! I'm really touched by all the people who donated. Honestly I thought the drive was over when I posted on Thursday but since then, I've seen even more donations by generous SARPers. We've now managed to raise $380 and, counting both subscribers and donators, we had 19 donations!

I had to send some money to a friend in dire need, so I'm wiring a second lot of money to Paypal, it should be ready by the middle of the week, so save me a spot. XD

Reactions: Wes
I wish I could help, but I have no money at all. :(

I'm sorry, if I can get money I will do some but having no money is hard to help things you love.

'tis the season, Scarlet; November and December tend to rob the pockets of cash. I know I'm about to go into my Christmas/Chanukah shopping here soon...I weep for my wallet already! XD

Couldn't afford much, but happy to help with what I could! :)

Yes, you can.

Just hit 110%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back