Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC 4th Fleet OOC Thread

Re: [4th AASP] OOC Thread

I suppose this has been pointed out before, but antimatter annihilates into pure radiation, and gives out no kinetic energy. So it'd just be a massive incendiary warhead. Not trying to sound smart, but just in case anyone doesn't know. Just in case anybody watched 'Angels and Demons' and thought anybody in that crowd survived after the antimatter detonation. Nope, in real life they'd all be dead from radiation poisoning. Sleep well, kids.

If the suits we wear can't resist the very radiation they are designed to carry and implement in battle, that is just piss-poor designing. :lol:

Besides, they can. Assuming they aren't the target of said missiles.

Actually, that isn't true, Wirerobbin. Antimatter does release a lot of energy when it annihilates matter, which is where the principle of antimatter "fuel" comes from. In fact, it releases an enormous amount of energy. The reason for this is that matter is actually extremely highly-condensed energy, and when two particles annihilate one-another, all of that energy is suddenly released.

Antimatter does not simply touch matter and cause it to "disappear," although there is, theoretically, something that could do that, which is negative matter, or matter with a negative mass, and thus negative energy, which would "cancel out" normal matter rather than cause it to violently explode. <-- Lol run on sentence

All Cavalier Marines are on a single shuttle. Feel free to start talking and tending to wounds. They're sharing it with Holmes' squad. Hawkins and Rochesters' squads are on different shuttles.

Radiation is essentially heat energy anyway. I just meant it doesn't cause a tangible explosion in the sense of grenades.

Wire, an antimatter-matter reaction does cause a tangible explosion, the issue with seeing one with current technology is that the amount of antimatter that we can currently create is so minimal that the detonation is almost immeasurable.

Okay, for clarity's sake, I'm going to give everyone a little bit more info on this because I think it is important for everyone involved to be informed, especially since a lot of us have antimatter weapons.

EDIT: Also, I think it should be restated here again that energy and matter are essentially one in the same. Energy can not be created or destroyed, but it can be hyper-condensed into solid matter. When matter is destroyed, it releases all of the energy that it was made up of, usually in the form of an explosion. Unless, of course, it is destroyed slowly, in which case it burns and releases the same amount of energy, but over a longer period of time (such as in the case of fuel in an engine.)

I'm sure you guys have heard the phrase "splitting the atom." In nuclear physics and nuclear chemistry, this refers to either a nuclear reaction or a radioactive decay process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into smaller parts (lighter nuclei), often producing free neutrons and photons (in the form of gamma rays), and releasing a very large amount of energy. This is the process of nuclear fission. An antimatter/matter reaction is similar, but releases a lot more energy because it is a lot more efficient (it completely annihilates two atoms at once).

Rather than a single atom being "split," an antimatter/matter reaction causes two atoms to be completely annihilated down to the basest particles, releasing all of the energy stored within at once and producing a far greater amount of gamma ray radiation. To put it in perspective, in the Fat Man bomb used on Nagasaki at the end of the second world war, about 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) of the 6.2 kilograms (14 lb) of plutonium in the pit (about 17%) achieved nuclear fission. In this process 1 gram (0.035 oz) of matter in the bomb was converted into the active energy of heat and radiation (see mass-energy equivalence for detail), releasing the energy equivalent of 21 kilotons of TNT or 88 terajoules.

That's 2.2 POUNDS of Plutonium achieving nuclear fission. According to Wikipedia (if you don't like that I'm using wiki as a source, you can look this stuff up yourself), 250 grams of Antihydrogen annihilating with regular hydrogen would release as much energy as 10 megatons of TNT, or over 40 PETAJOULES of energy. This means that, for example, a single gram of antihydrogen annihilating hydrogen would release the equivalent amount of energy as 40 kilotons of TNT, or about 200 terajoules, while a gram of plutonium achieving fission would release 21 tons, or 88 gigajoules of energy.

That in mind, this means that the efficiency of antimatter/matter annihilation versus plutonium fission is about 2500:1 making the energy release potential of antihydrogen reactions approximately 2500 times higher than plutonium fission. An antimatter bomb with as much antimatter in it as Fat Man had plutonium would have been nearly equivalent to the Tsar Bomba, which means that the epicenter of the explosion would be about two kilometers wide. This doesn't even take into account the other effects of an explosion that huge.

Now, I'm not entirely certain how much antimatter our weapons have in them or what specific antielement is used (this does have a drastic effect on the amount of energy released), but it is entirely possible that Sawyer's AOP could kill all of the marines in the room, or blow up the entire building, like Sigma had happen.

EDIT: I also want to clarify that Centurion's above post is correct. The largest amount of antimatter we've made at once in real life is a single antihydrogen atom.

EDIT: Another edit, only because it just occurred to me that some people might have this question. In regards to radiation, antimatter reactions do create a significantly larger amount of gamma ray radiation at the moment of their occurrence than fission reactions do, however, this does not mean they produce fallout. Nuclear fallout generally results from two things: radioactive material that did not achieve fission being tossed up into the atmosphere by the force of the release of energy, or radioactive particles produced by the lighter nuclei expelled in the splitting of an atom. Since it is possible to create an antimatter reaction with non-radioactive elements (and even if radioactive antielements were used, they would still completely annihilate their positive counterparts), it does not create any fallout or persisting radiation whatsoever.

Kokuten's spinning-head avatar is really trippy when there's a bunch of them on the screen. Just throwing it out there.

For clarification, only the Marines listed in 4.3 are allowed to post there.

All Marines who participated in 4.1 should post in 4.4; Marines in 4.2, just bide your time.

I was going to make a response to Cedric from the Admiral before posting the JP. Will make the appropriate edits later when I'm less bubbly and excited about my job interview in Singapore. Bubbly and excited Valken, as hilarious as it is, would a little out of place :D

Wheeeeeeeeee!

I wish you best of luck at the interview, Sigma! :)

However, a bubbly and excited Valken would be hilarious. :lol:

Valken: "Hey everyone! Great to see you all looking so chipper! You're all on charges of insubordination! Start scrubbing the toilets with potatoes! Have a great day! Byee!"

I leave for the interview on the 4th so expect Feb 4-11 to be a rather slow time for my GM posts.

Sigma, a RL chain-of-command in a modern first-world military works almost exactly like what Sommerville is saying that he did (though in this particular case, his description of events is a lie).

You do not assume that the NCO is issuing a contradicting order when the superior officer is not present. You assume that it was a modification or exception to the standing order, being relayed to the NCO, and thus using them as the conduit for the chain of command that they are. It is not "illogical" for a Marine such as Sawyer to listen to Sommerville when the Admiral is not present to confirm or deny.

Also, since Drei is technically ranked as a commissioned officer (if I remember the wiki correctly), it would indeed be going over the NCOs head, and thus disrespecting the chain of command.

Point the first. Nepleslia does not operate by any RL military protocol. Our rank structure alone should present ample proof of that. Nor does 4th Fleet operate along the loose guidelines set by Nepleslian HQ. This latter part is due to the very unorthodox way that Admiral Wazu/Uso structured the Fleet. I have been working in phases to undo this weird system.

Point the second. Drei is an AI. AI do NOT have command authority. Drei may possess officer rank but that is only to ensure respect is given and that she has sufficient access to most data. I've consulted with other players and this is the precedent. Anything that Drei (under Uso's control) did is likely a deviation from the rest of SARP.

Point the third. I come from the Singapore Army. I don't need to be told how a chain of command works. This is SARP - Star Army Role Play. This is not the SAF, this is not the US Army, this is not the Imperial Japanese Army. Knowledge of modern or historic armed forces have limited application to SARP.

Point the fourth.
You do not assume that the NCO is issuing a contradicting order when the superior officer is not present. You assume that it was a modification or exception to the standing order, being relayed to the NCO, and thus using them as the conduit for the chain of command that they are.
If you just obey every single order without clarification, God help the US military. The last time I heard this was listening to a North Korean broadcast. Even we Army conscripts know that we need to be sure of our orders, especially when we start getting contradictory ones. Like the time when the corporals and sergeants couldn't decide what we needed for a jungle exercise, one of the recruits just went to ask the lieutenant. Settled the issue. If one doesn't have the initiative to confirm orders when faced with a set of contradictory ones, one doesn't have the necessary traits for leadership. If there's one thing I've learned in my eleven years in the US, it's "Speak Up Not Shut Up."

I never said "shut up and don't confirm orders". If you're suspicious or not sure, then by all means, go up on the chain of command, but the Marines have no reason (such as the thin reasoning Stenton used, stating that she was not in one of the armors mentioned in the restrictions) to believe there is a contradiction. It's like trying to navigate through a minefield. If you don't have to -- don't. The Marines, being green (save Greer, who already hasn't gone along with the lie), have no reason to doubt that Cedric was given an update on the order, and thus was relaying it to them. In fact, you could even use the argument that you yourself once used for why Laura wasn't socializing. They're green, they haven't been on many operations, and suddenly this big 'ol Staff Sergeant comes along telling them to load anti-matter weapons. He seems confident, seems to have the answers as to why they should, and they don't want to go stepping on toes so early in their careers. So they just do what the Staff Sergeant says to make him happy and they move on. After all, it may be imposing and formidable to confront and socialize with your superiors (as you have said before, Sigma), but it's an even scarier and more forboding principal to tell somebody who outranks you "no".

Just because it's coming from Cedric and not Valken doesn't make it like the "follow-the-party" nature of the North Koreans if they listen to it because they're listening to their NCO. Having already been placed in to consideration for the NCO board, you don't need to preach to me about the chain of command, or how it is to be used. While I understand the Nepleslian Marines are not ENTIRELY based off the US military (or any mlitary): you have to forgive me. I'm an Army grunt, so I'm not a man of complexity. When I am given absolutely NOTHING (after all, the rank tree really only says "who" is in command of how many of "what"), then I have to infer based on what I know. So, if nothing else, how the chain of command works, and how to deal with situations like this should be established in the wiki. If it currently is, then it should be made much easier to locate than it is at this moment.

Also, it should be made of note that Drei's rank only carries the respect and security clearance. Otherwise people such as myself, in an issue of the chain of command, might get confused (however, if Drei does carry the respect of a commissioned officer, as you yourself indicated, it would still be disrespectful to the chain of command by going over an NCO (somebody with the respect of an NCO) to a Captain (or somebody with the respect of a Captain).)

Due to the nature of internet conversation, feelings can become confused and miscongrued. While this is an important topic of discussion, please don't take offense with one another and RAGEQUIT.

That's the last thing we want to happen. 8-)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back