• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

OOC 4th Fleet OOC Thread

Hey, does anyone mind if Stan goes and provides some extra backup to the group who've just poked into the caves? Despite my best efforts (my search-fu is incredibly weak) I haven't been able to find the maps, and I'd rather not take a wild stab at things.

Sorry for being such a noob.

I should probably note that the reason I didn't have Stan just go charging in is because if Daniels comes out (assuming he was indeed right behind Wulfe), having an Aggressor in the way will kind of delay that and is generally just begging for something bad to happen.

Then again, it's probably not terribly smart for Stan to be hovering outside the doorway when he could be in there providing back-up. So, um... hopefully that post wasn't too awful.

Sigma said:
She had, however, also unwittingly alerted the NMX that she was there. They knew she was there and it was time to destroy her.

One would think that the falling elevators would have tipped them off first.

Also, shouldn't our active sensors pick up the movement, even with the backdrop of stone and metal? Failing that, would Ice's well honed sense for being jumped in back alleys have kicked in to at least tell her that there was something out there? I'd be nice to be a bit proactive here.

Knowledge of your intrusion does not equate to knowledge of your location.

Active Monoeye sensors focus on a single target. Ice did not have a single (or any) target designated, hence the poor return of information.

Nor can I answer for your character's abilities. However, "proactive" has, so far, given away your position.

I did explicitly say that she was using all her sensors to find something. Demonblooded did as well, for that matter.

she pulsed her active sensors for a second to see what might be waiting
That excerpt from your post does not specify your target. Active sensors work best when you actually have a target to focus on. Not to search for a target.

I have re-read all of Demonblooded's posts. There is nothing about him turning his sensors active.

With that he sent his suit's systems to passively scan across the spectrum for wireless signals repeatedly.
and
the ID-SOL found himself switching through different visual spectrum as part of his search
You can flip through the various modes and spectra on passive. When the Monoeye is active, all of them are working at once and lock onto a single target. Do not confuse the two. Demonblooded played it on passive mode.

Passive sensors, though limited to a single mode or spectrum, are like a trawling net to pick up on lots of things. Active sensors are like a lasso, for grabbing a single thing which you've found.

Passive sensors are still sensors. Hence, from a slightly later post of mine:

Kevyn said:
She moved forward to cover Talbain and Bastilen's backs, taking full advantage of her suit's sensors to watch for hostiles.

Also, passive is a bit of a misnomer in the case of the Monoeye system. Even in 'passive' mode, it still emits radar, lidar, and other active frequency detection modes, just not as energetically as the 'active' mode. When I refer to active sensors, that's what I'm talking about: Sensors that emit radiation actively to search for a target. So, basically, Ice would be using her Monoeye's active sensors in the 'passive' mode.

Really, it should be referred to as scanning and tracking modes respectively.

The monoeye article states that on passive (which is what you use right now) you emit a low-key radar, ladar and other stuff and in very wide areay too. It is non-focused and non-accurate. It won't find too much (especiall through bedrock) with this. Unless, enemy would use some sort of emittor, like active sensors themselves. If they would emit a wave of particles, your passive radar would get it. But if enemy does not have active sensors on, you won't get anything.

That would make sense if the Monoeye passive sensors were, well, passive receivers. But they aren't. Radar is debatable, but in most applications is an active sensor. Lidar however by its very nature is inherantly an active sensor. Basically, if they were close enough to pick up Ice's sensor ping, then Ice should have received at least a garbled return from her sensors. I work with this sort of data every day (I use remote images from satellites like Landsat, RADARSAT or Quickbird regularly), I know what those type of sensors do. That's the thing about active sensors, they always return at least something. Cutting edge modern stealth systems work by modifying the radar return of an object, not negating it entirely (an F117 isn't invisible to radar, it just returns as something about the size of a bird). It might not have looked like suit of powered armour, but if there was something moving down there the passive sensors should have picked up something.

Basically, what you described in your last two sentences isn't an active system like even 'passive mode' Monoeye sensors, it's an actual passive sensor system in the sense that it would be totally inert and just receive other energy emissions. Here's a simple example with a very clear distinction between active and passive sensors.

That quite frankly does not really matter. The monoeyes passive mode is called passive for a reason. The radar and lidar are weak and only really receive.

Passive means that you are receiving, not sending.

And that is a case with monoeyes too. Even if the description on the wiki might be a bit confusing.

Original tech designer reporting in (again).

Initially, in the old Monoeye articles, passive meant recieving only. Which means all you did was, in the words of what was quoted here:
Unless, enemy would use some sort of emittor, like active sensors themselves. If they would emit a wave of particles, your passive radar would get it. But if enemy does not have active sensors on, you won't get anything.
Passive sensors, though limited to a single mode or spectrum, are like a trawling net to pick up on lots of things.
Though I have to clarify that while you can channel surf the modes, your SAVTECH will still be watching the 9001 other modes and will alert you if something seems too out of the ordinary. In RP practice since, this has been the case despite the updated description introducing 'low key radar and ladar'

The added 'low key radar and ladar' was under the assumption that 'low-key' will be emphasized, and is a metaphor for 'teh sux' (ie: not going through walls and cover), and is generally only used for getting a quick 360* 3D topography scan of your immediate surroundings without resorting to 'going active'. The other assumption is that any enemy that actually picks up and returns the 'low-key' emissions is in close-ish eyeball range anyway and whose automated systems would spot you regardless from your 8 foot tall figure and ambient radiation from your suit, so in (normal) practice low key would not mess with your stealth.

What the article doesnt take into consideration is more advanced stealth systems that may be outfitted onto your or the enemy's armor, which low-key will either, give you away (in the case of you being the sneaky one) or lull you into a false sense of security (in case of the enemy being the sneaky one). Which, if we really want to cover our bases, there should be an additional 'true passive' mode and/or have 'passive' renamed something else.

As for 'active' mode. The main sub-mode that has not changed over the years is the one where it lock-ons to a single target ie: tracking. The second submode that isnt expressly stated in the new article, but was used back in the day before low-key surround sensors were introduced and still in use now is to open the aperture to max and sweeping the area with the subspace cone, ie:'scanning', which is quite efficient in quickly returning a list of contacts, of which the most interesting one will be subjected to a lock on. This of course would blow your cover sky high, but wouldnt matter if they know you are there anyway.

There has been some ambiguity as to how many monoeyes are needed to achieve an effective lock. Back in the day when every PA came with a pair, a pair was needed for a single target, which gave the old E-Series Power Armors serious tunnel vision without a squad uplink sharing data and at least one dude running his on scanning mode (Usually the dude in the EARTH or the one in heavy cover). However the newer M-Series armors have more than three monoeyes (one and a half pairs) total, and recent RP has suggested (and may be justified by the natural advancement of tech) that only a single monoeye is required to lock onto a target.

However, I am merely stating my opinion and original intention regarding the operation of monoeyes. Preceedence is given to the local GM to decide how tech operates in his plot.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…