• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 4th Fleet (NSN) [4th fleet/Paragon] The Minyas Negotiation

Zack

Inactive Member
ON> The Rainbow Room: Funky City, Nepleslia.

"It is good of you to meet on such short notice," Drei said with a smile, standing to show her typical naval uniform with a slightly muted blue grey hue to it. This was of course, much more clothing than the average woman had here, between the mini skirt'd waitresses and the bartender's tight fitting vest Drei was easily showing the least skin.

Standing next to Drei was a man wearing a dark grey business suit, near the collar the distinct three point red symbol of the Paragon was visible as a pin. "These sort of meetings tend to be our norm when people need munitions in a hurry the time table can be as short as a few days, I'm sure you understand."

"Please take a seat," She said, moving to sit back down in a booth at the corner of the smokey bar. The place was dimly lit, hiding the faces of some of the other patrons that were looking for women, weapons, or something wet. On the center of the table was a datapad that was automatically transcribing their conversation. "I hope you do not mind the electronics. I do not intend to discuss anything nefarious and the person who is looking to help arrange this deal is currently on a starship heading to Malaise so he will not be able to participate in real time.

Pleasantries aside, Paragon has won a few points with the 4th fleet for accepting a one in ten unit discount on a large scale purchase of battle rifles to outfit our marines with." Drei explained, "And we understand that the Garts, somewhat overeagerly, wished to purchase weapon systems from Paragon as well?"

Taking his seat the Paragon operator glanced at the data pad for a moment before returning his attention to the small form sitting across from him, "I do not intend to discuss the more... intriguing actions so the recording isn't a problem and yes they did extend a purchase order, unfortunately we could not meet their terms. Apparently they expected special treatment, unfortunately we simply do not know enough about them to extend that kind of trust." he waved away one of the waitresses who'd come near enough to ask for an order.

"I am sure you are aware of NAM's mandate to assist government operations?" Drei asked, not really expecting an answer, "We view Paragon, and other Nepleslian corporations, as an asset to Nepleslia. Helping them succeed is part of my mission. The Garts are a bit hasty with their actions but are also new allies of Nepleslia, so we want to see them get what they need as well.

Of course, we don't want to have to foot the bill every time the Garts want to make a purchase, but they do not have a publicly traded currency like Nepleslia and Yamatai. This makes their purchase of equipment somewhat difficult since their currency wouldn't be accepted by Paragon.

This brings me to why I am here with you now. We're looking to help this deal go through, and we will be assisting the Garts from a diplomatic perspective. They do have various technologies we can suggest they license to Paragon for resale in other markets, natural resources of some value, production capacity, and territory that they can offer in trade.

NAM can also make some additions to this offering. We could be interested in assisting Paragon with additional weapon purchases made through the 4th fleet to provide Paragon with additional funding. We could also assist Paragon with real estate on Nepleslia, use of NAM's desert testing grounds and production facilities, and office space in the Argent Towers near offices used by NAM. We are also looking into purchasing Gartagen equipment, which would help provide them with the currency needed to make purchases from companies such as yours."

Drei would wave away the waitress as well, not too interested in drinking at the moment.

"So, what can we do to help make this deal?"

"That is quite the offer for such a small weapons deal, I'm sure you wouldn't mind me asking what ulterior motives may be behind this?" said the Operator as he placed his own small datapad on the table.

"As a long term operation, NAM may not be viable. It certainly has some of the best developers in the universe working for it but people like the VelStyer clan or Wazu have their own intrests, and naturally will peruse them. This means that NAM's output of new designs can sometimes be lower than what is needed.

Specifically, the 4th fleet is looking for new ways to acquire the equipment and designs they need, as well as to promote the growth of Nepleslian Corporations as a safeguard against Yamatain expansionist tendencies. We strongly believe that Paragon is part of the solution to these problems. Seeing this deal go through for Paragon is good. What is good for Paragon is good for Nepleslia." Drei explained

Bracing his chin against right hand the Operator thought for a moment, "I see, so this is a political game your playing, I'm sure your aware Paragon doesn't cater to particular idealologies. Hell we even employ Yamatains in various parts of our organization, in the end this deal is only valuable to us as long as it nets us a long term profit to fuel the growth of the organization." He paused for a moment glancing at a small fluctuation on the pad before continuing, "So what means do you plan on extending for this transaction to be carried out?"

"I beleive I have made clear many of the offerings that we can bring to the table. What I am looking for now is a price that would be acceptable to Paragon. A close working relationship between the corporation and the fleet would certainly yield you designs that would sell very well, or help you sell designs which do not currently interest us like your shoulder lauched missile system. I am sure you are aware that your competitor, Origin, produces a far superior product in that regard?"

"Indeed they do, however their system is far more complicated and far more expensive compared to ours. It's designed for a less.... kosher crowd if you will. There will always be a market for those who feel the need to undermine the powers at be and that is what this system was intended for. As far as your offer if you can guarantee future contracts with Paragon I'm sure I can get my handlers to agree to the original arrangement." Responded the Operator.

"Yes... about that." Drei said, "When I said the Garts were being hasty, I meant that they were being hasty with OUR funds. From what I understand the Garts do not have a sufficient amount of DA to cover their expenditures and we are unwilling to extend them a line of credit on that level yet. This is why I wanted to discuss alternate options for payment, to try and find something that they could indeed cover."

Pressing a small portion on the pad's screen the Operator brought up a holographic display, "What exactly is on the table in that regard then miss?" he asked.

Drei would press a few buttons on her datapad, sending over a small list of items that NAM was willing to trade, and that Nepleslia was aware that the Garts had. So far Nam was willing to provide office space in Argent Towers, Facilities at the NAM desert testing grounds and willingness to discuss additional weapon purchases by the 4th fleet. She also listed a few items that she could likely get from the Garts including raw materials, real estate off world, starships and other finished Gartagen products that Paragon could resale.

"The physical offerings are somewhat limited," Drei explained, "But as I said, I am here looking to cut a deal. The specifics of which you have ample ability to dictate." she looked at her datapad briefly and a small smile briefly crossed her face before she returned her gaze to the operator.

"At the moment miss what Paragon needs is contracts and references, as you know were relatively new on the market and were not exactly the first choice as far as guns for hire goes. As far as material would NAM be willing to barter in that particular area?" he countered.

"We can put you in touch with the Garts easily enough." Drei offered, "But like I mentioned, they are somewhat hasty in their mindset. It is likely that they wouldn't be too interested in retaining your services and if they did their resources are currently quite limited.

We also have access to numerous spacer clans, but their use of PMCs is very limited after the business with the OSC.

I do, however, represent the Nepleslian 4th fleet at the moment. They have a doctrine of achieving maximum results with minimum use of government assets. The use of PMC ground forces could be a considerable asset in upcoming operations. I can also put you in touch with Admiral Davis, or assist in putting in the good word for Paragon at an upcoming International Relations Conference."

"This may facilitate more.. favorable terms for the Gartengens in this case, as far as ground operations what would you be willing to contract in the short term?" he asked, shifting a data flow on his pad.

"There is a star system called Minyas with some strategic value for Nepleslia. The 4th fleet fought over the system briefly and currently the system remains abandoned. We do not expect to see any major action in the system, but we also do not currently have the resources to occupy the star system and provide sufficient protection to extract resources.

We have considered Paragon for this role, but so far have been too occupied with other matters to move forward with hiring your PMC. This leaves a lot of NAM planetary defense gear sitting in warehouses awaiting deployment."

Finally waving a waitress over and ordering a drink the Operator responded, "Does the 4th lack the manpower for a full-scale operation?"

"The vast majority of marines go to the 1st fleet," Drei explained, "The 4th maintains a small unit, carrying out most operations using entirely automated systems. However, deploying, constructing, and maintaining a facility in Minyas will require more than the automated systems that the 4th has at its disposal."

The Operator nodded, "We presently maintain two regiments of personnel, each battalion being specialized toward a specific role and structured to act as a independent unit. How many men would the 4th be willing to contract toward their operations?" he asked.

"We are looking to establish a forward facility in the Minyas system, as well as a mining operation. We are not presently looking to put our own personnel planeside," Drei explained, "Towards this operation we are willing to provide funds, as well as a considerable number of automated surface to orbit launch systems. Paragon, however, does not list a price for this kind of operation."

"This is mainly due to the various circumstances that come to play in an operation of this scale, the possible hostiles, the amount of ammunition expended, the possible casualties, these are all individual for each operation and thus price is dependent on the estimates. Do you have any projected data for this?" he asked again, nodding toward the waitress as his drink arrived.

"We do not expect the NMX to make a serious effort to retake the system. For the time being they seem to have abandoned it once their attack force became bogged down in an attack on Yamatain forces." Drei explained, "The system also lacks real strategic value for Yamatai and the NMX. As a former Elysian colony the Yamatains only had it briefly because Elysia had it. Elysia wanted it because it was a way of laying claim to systems deeper in the galactic west. The NMX only wanted it because Yamatai had it, and Nepleslia only wants it to serve as a symbolic link between new and old Nepleslia. The mineral wealth is not as considerable compared to other star systems and there are currently no technological assets in the system to draw another major power there."

"And your interest in the star system?" he asked before downing the whiskey in one shot.

"It is part of a trio of star systems that Nepleslia is looking to obtain. It would form an imaginary wall between new and old nepleslia which would require Elysian or Yamatain ships to cross in order to reach the systems further to the west. This provides us with considerable diplomatic resources in controlling what goes on in both Elysia and the outer star systems."

Setting the now empty glass on the table he adjusted another flow of data on his display, "So a political pissing contest between the chickens, the cats, and the senate, with former Reds in the middle. Your looking to incite conflict aren't you?" he panned.

"Conflict is inevitable," Drei responded seriously, "I've been told that our job is to move pieces around to discourage it as much as possible."

The Operator smirked, "You know the cats are about as diplomatic as a sledge hammer toward any perceived insult."

"And they certainly would have already responded when we set up operations in the previously elysian held star system of Artume. When I say the star system is abandoned, I do mean abandoned by all of the major powers. Yamatai has not moved to reclaim it either."

Nodding slightly he responded, "For the moment the AO seems secure so I take it you won't plan on employing a large scale force?"

"A large scale deployment of automated weapon systems should be sufficient to lay claim to the system. There is a habitable planet in the system, we would like to have an outpost established there, but we wish only to deploy the forces absolutely necessary for this task." She explained.

"Exactly how many personnel are you going to need for that facility?" he asked.

"12 at most for long term maintenance of the facility and its automated units." Drei explained, "However, we would like to employ a much larger force at the outset to establish the automated weapons, construct the facility, and begin surveying the 4th planet of the system. If you are looking to fully deploy one of your regiments this would be an opportunity."

Checking a small bit of data he responded, "Each Paragon regiment is composed of two mechanized infantry battalions, two armored battalions, one artillery battalion, one special services battalion, one aerospace support group, and a dedicated logistical unit, the quote for just a few weeks of operations is well into the tens of millions range. Is the 4th willing to front that kind of funding?"

"We spent ten times that on rifles," Drei replied.

"And you intend to keep this force devoted for what amount of time miss?"

"We do not wish to leave a force exposed for a lengthy period of time. A month at most should be sufficient time to conduct a preliminary survey of the planet." Drei explained, "Though maintenance of the facility is a more long term endeavor."

"Projected hostiles?" he asked.

"Elyisians reported that there were no sentient native life forms, though the reports do mention big bugs." Drei said.

"Bugs?" his eyes widened slightly.

"Big Bugs." Drei replied. "That is an exact quote from the reports we've gotten from our Elysian sources. No more information is available."

"When would you like this force deployed?" he asked as he began typing on the display at a fast rate.

"As soon as possible." Drei replied. "I can transfer funding once the deal is approved, This process could take as little as an hour."

"Bare in mind these kind of arrangements are above my pay grade, I'm merely the... instigator if you would. I'll pass this up to my handler who will be in contact with whomever you designate to handle the deployment arrangements. Now lets get back to the Gartegen weapons deal, what terms would be more agreeable for the 4th fleet now that we know the Garties aren't the primary contract." he said before ordering another drink.

"The profits from the deployment contract with the 4th should more than make up for any risk taken on by Paragon in regards to dealing with the Gart's currency." Drei explained. "We were hoping that would persuade Paragon to negotiate a deal that would be favorable to the Garts."

"Do you have any data on technology or materials that the Garts possess that could be traded?" asked the Operator.

Drei would forward basic information about gart weapon systems that could end up changing hands. "They posses basic starships, atmospheric drop pods, nukes, and other fairly low tech weapon systems. They also possess a variety of basic tool kits. From what I understand they will also be pushing to have their currency publicly traded, which would allow you to exchange it for DA or KS at a later point in time." Drei said, feeling a little bit like she was going around in circles with this Paragon operator.

"So, if we chose to accept their currency there is a chance of refloating the SFR weapon deal?" he asked somewhat hopeful.

"Yes, The garts do have an economy to back up their native currency." Drei explained, "But as a new species they do not have the ability to trade currencies on a reasonable scale yet. They are currently having to work around this issue for purchasing the SFR platforms, but accepting their native currency should allow them to make a purchase with less reservations about their own available resources."

Pressing a small holographic indicator the large display folded back into the device, "I'll pass that up the chain, hopefully the outcome will be... favorable. Now," he paused for a moment sipping on the new glass of whiskey. "Is there anything else the 4th would like to cover during this meeting?" he asked.

"I do not think we can progress without specifics on pricing and time tables, I will let you discuss with your superiors about that." Drei replied, standing up from her seat at the table, "We will be in contact."

End>

RPG-D RPGfix
Back