• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Passed #78 - Lorath Starfleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hoshi no Iori seconds the motion to close. Is there a third?"

Senator Shears had frowned at the Senator from Hoshi no Iori's challenge of the motions.

"Tami challenges the motion to close."

"For the record Tami seconds Anisa's previous motion for change." William sighed. "Additionally, Tami would like to remind Hoshi no Iori that it has not cast a vote regarding this legislation as of yet."

"Tami again asks the Senator for Hoshi no Iori, why she challenges these motions for change without any real explanation. Especially considering the very agreable nature of Tami's own motion. In fact Hoshi no Iori didn't give any particullarly good reasons for challenging some of Tami's previous motions. So I ask you, Senator from Hoshi no Iori, why did you challenge them?" William said, now even more suspicious of the Senator from Hoshi no Iori the he had been before.

"Both changes had nothing to do with the ability to pass this bill. And Tami's motion was incredibly reasonable. Tami agree's that Lor may have a more difficult time defending itself should this proposal fail to pass. But Tami wishes to remind Hoshi no Iori that the protection of the territorial integerty of the empire is the responsibility of the Star Army, if any world is incapable of adequetly defending itself, the responsibility of its defence rests with the Star Army until such time when it can; if not it means not only the failure of the Star Army, but also the failure of our empire as an institution."
Tami understands the words of the Senator from Taiie. And Tami wishes to clairfy its position; Tami seconded Anisa's motion as only a symbolic gesture that something was required to keep our empires teritorial integrity in-tact, it was symbolic as the motion had already been chalenged. Taking into consideration the words of the Senator from Taiie, Tami first makes a motion to change as addendum to the proposal by adding:
3. As a stopgap measure, while the Lorath defence fleet is under construction, a selection of available ships from the Star Army will be assigned to defend Lor against external threats. If needed these ships can be activated from the Star Army's 'Zero Fleet', additionally, if needed these ships can controled directly through the PANTHEON network.
I am hoping that this addendum will help ensure that the teritorial integrity of the empire is protected, while putting the least strain on the Star Army as is reasonably acceptable." William now looked around the Seante chambers, "I must make an appeal to those of the Senate, to please accept this motion, without it the integrity of the empire, and our very ways of life are deeply threatened."

Well, so much for that. And Alphonse rose once again.

"Anisa seconds this motion, but would also like to inform Senator Shears that he is being antagonistic and drawing out the vote beyond that which is necessary."

"Hoshi no Iori challenges the motion of Senetor Shears. Be slient and give the Lorath the tools they need to defend themselves instead of trying to push the Star Army to defend a world that selected to defend itself. Because the Lorath selected to run their own defense fleet, these ship designs are vital to them."

"Tami wishes to remind the Senator from Ansia that we are still within the voting period, and perhaps instead of Tami drawing out the vote, others are being impatient, and others uncoopertive by trying to end the vote early." William said looking toward the senator from Anisa.

"Tami finds Hoshi no Iori's command to be silent, out of place, and insulting. These are the chambers of the senate where every system has a voice." The Senator said firmly. "While the Lorath may have elected to run thier own defence fleet, the empire agreed, in the Treaty with Lor, that the Star Army would protect that system if needed. It is clearly needed, the Lorath are in no position to adequetly defend thier system, and won't be for some time. It is almost certain that without the intervention of the Star Army that system will fall to the Mishhuvurthyar. So I must ask you, the Senator from Hoshi no Iori, please ethier reconsider your challenge of Tami's latest proposal, or submit your own motion which will address the immediate lack of defence of the Lor system and the threat to the integrity of our empire." William finished that sentance in a serious tone.

"Additionally, Tami should like to question previous assertions that the resources to defend one system(the Lor system in this case) would put undue strain on the Star Army, our empire still has vast resources, and a vast reserve of ships in the Star Army's 'Zero Fleet'; this has even been referenced by Hoshi no Iori as well as others in previous senate sessions; additionally Tami would like to point out that many of the ships that exist in reserve are capable of being operated with little or no crew, therefore fielding an at least moderetly effective defence force in the Lor system should not put any unreasonable strain on the Star Army, a strain that regardless of difficulty is thier sworn duty to bear." William looked seriously about the room.

Chujo Kotuku's stood up from her seat, the look in her eyes was that of rage leaning forward on the table she said to Tami's senator "Who the hell do you think you are?!â€

"I am an impereal senator ma'am and citizen of this empire, _ just _ like _ you. The end of us all must be close at hand if the Star Army can not even bring itself to defend its own citizens. I also should like to point out _again_ to the Senator from Taiie that it is the Star Army's sworn duty to defend the integrity of this empire! This empire includes the Lor system and Tami, even if you should not like it!" William said glaring at Taiie's Senator.

"Tami challenges Taiie's motion to close."

Chujo Kotoku shook her head...

"I am a solider of the empire, and unlike you I know a little bit about the Star Army and its current deployment strategy. And I am saying you should stay the hell out of it and let us do our job. The QIS ship designs and shipyards will provide Lor with the protection they need. To pull Star Army vessels there would be redundant and a waste of our time, not to mention, against Lor's request for a self-defense force. It is one or the other...but not both. "

This is wrong...this is all wrong. Senators should not be defining our strategies in this war or where our technology goes. She began to sift through the laws of the empire through PANTHEON; she leaned back in her seat.

Eyce had been heavily distracted at the beginning of the debate, and then taken aback by the flurry and heat of the words, and the complete meaningless of most of them - arguing over the most pedantic of points. Eyce had little sympathy for the Lorath, from what he'd seen (or more accurately heard) of them they were a proud people, which in itself was nothing bad, but which erred on the side of Hubris. He added his own little contribution now, though he doubt it would amount to much.

"Now that Lor has come back in to the fold its defence is of course our concern, we must extend to it that right which all planets of the empire have. However, as I am sure you must all agree, that clause does make things a little difficult here - they don't want our Star Army to do it. And yet we are here talking about giving them technology from the ill fated QIS." He sighed, "I'm sure all of us remember the sad tale of QIS, and its tragic end, but let us not linger on that (although perhaps a lesson can be learnt from it). The problem at hand, as far as I can see it, is that QIS had access to very advanced technology, including some that our own ships don't even utilise - and call me paranoid but I do not feel happy with the idea of a race that has only recently joined our collective and whose loyalty has been dubious at best have access to the sort of technology on an Anteus class ship!"

"They have been fickle allies, and I don't think this should be rewarded with enormous power as QIS designs would bring them. They must be able to defend themselves, this is true - but perhaps they should accept our direct assistance in this! What we should not do is grant their cry for autonomity with technology which not only lags only slightly behind our own but which grants them the power to turn against us!"

Eyce sat down heavily, fully expecting a shouting match to continue perhaps escalate, "Nataria votes no."

"Ohara thirds the motion to close, and would like to note that the voting period has expired."

TO: Senator of Hoshi no Iori

Why does the Senator of Tami care so much about what goes on at Lor? We should investigate this.

- VAX

TO: Senator Hoshi no Iori

I am very concerned with this exchange of technology, I have reviewed the files regarding our encounters with the Lorath and they have been less than smooth. I worry about the alliance being short lived, and the possibility of us finding ourselves fighting Lorath QIS vessels once the threat of the Mishhuvurthyar has passed. If this transaction is to occur, I believe it should be closely monitored.

To: Senator of Lor

I suggest you watch the Chujo. She's dangerous, and I don't trust her. Keep your rear safe. I'll help in any way I can - I don't want to see the Lorath become our enemies, for I feel that we need more than just humanity for the Empire to thrive.

TO: Maximillian Alphonse

Thank you for the head's up. I shall watch my back, as you people say.

"Tami wishes to remind the Senator from Ohara that the voting period on proposals is 72 hours, and that time has not passed yet.", the Senator for Tami said flatly, as his eyes rolled over in the direction of the Oharan Senator.

"Tami abstains on the current matter, and would like the rest of the senate consider Tami's previous statments on this matter more, Tami fully believes that the goal of achieving the self determination of all systems, and that of this empire are compatable, and hopes that other Senators today might consider that as well, Tami Challenges the motion to close, and would like the time alloted to run out normally, Tami doesn't want to let you go home early just because you didn't want to propose or agree on anything today." William sat back down in his seat, and closed his eyes.

"Actually, my dear senator, we have other matters to discuss," said Vax, "which, for some reason, you insist on delaying, even though the current matter has obviously been settled."

"As important and strategic as Lor is, it is not the only planet in the Empire, as I'm sure you know. Surely the affairs of the Tami system require your attention as well?"

~Just exactly where does your loyalties lie, Mr. William Shears?~ Vax thought to himself.

The Chujo looked a bit sad as she sat watching the Senator from Tami, and the other from Ohara. The empire was divided on this very sensitive topic, one that could have political and military consequences in the future, and the obvious shift of power towards Lor in the present.

She found it surprising that the Senator from Hoshi no Iori would be the one to propose such a deal, one that would put a very dormant, yet very potent set of designs in the hands of an ally which had a sketchy and brief history with the empire. Where was this government going? Why were planets so far from Lor suddenly so for this?

Somehow the isolationist thinking of her previous Taisho, Motoyoshi Katsuko did not seem so unreasonable. Is this the lunacy she was protecting the fleet from? Either way, she had to support the views of the new administration, no matter what she thought. The Lor seemed like a needy people, a race that should have technically been destroyed by the Mishhuvurthyar, it seemed they had many wants, but very little to offer in return...at least from what the Chujo could see. She wondered, if and when the empire would ever see a return...time would tell, either way she felt horrible for being apart of it, hopeful that she would never be proven right. She was proud to be a Nekovalkyrja, and proud to serve her empire...but at odds with what could be a decision that will damage its position later.

She said nothing, watching...

The voting period has ended. The votes were as follows:

Vote Totals:

YES: 5
Hoshi no Iori, Lor, Anisa, Ohara, Taiie

NO: 2
Gashmere, Nataria

ABSTAIN: 1
Tami

This proposal passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.