• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

A bit of new lore..?

For an older vessel, Zanarium shouldn't be available.

CSEIA's armor is proprietary, and would not be available because the organization was recently established.

Woo! Was out of town a bit, otherwise I would have commented earlier. I'm the creator of both CSEIA and the Freespacers in case you're wondering who I am.

As To Armor
Energized armor is an old idea, so its not exactly CSEIA's to own any more than, say, shield technology. But keep this in mind: I thought about that (using advanced alloys) too, but in the standard sense energized armor merely an anti-penetrator weapon, only good against kinetic penetrators (solid rounds), or possibly even low-tech plasma weapons if you crank up the power. But if you're already using Zanarium or other super advanced alloys, then you'd be all but immune to any sort of low-tech matter weaponry...without the need for energization. Its only good as a low-tech defense, I'm afraid.

As To Relic
Not to rain on your parade, but it all sounds startlingly similar to the Freespacers and their Synthetic Intelligence. Not accusing you of copying or anything, but it may be quite hard to get them approved if they're practical replicas of SI. By which I mean the following:
  • Freespacers are also derived from human ancestry a century or two back, rather than simply early Nepleslians.
  • SI/Freespacers are also cybernetic conversionists, with heavy implant use being common and the bulk of their 'population' being converted from humans to AIs
  • Freespacers also troublemakers -- Not space pirates, but anarchists and hackers derived from an ancestry of political dissidents, rebels, and terrorists.
  • Freespacers are also nomads, or at least a almost completely ship-based nation.

Regardless, you may want to take at the Synthetic Intelligence to get an idea on how human-to-machine transfers can be done in technical detail, rather than simply using the word 'soul' (see Emulation). They use the simplest and easiest solution -- to run a simulation that mimics the behavior of neuron cells, thus creating a digital version of the human brain. Just copy the behavioral programming from neuron cell genomes to algorithms programmed with the behavior, and a species can have digital sentience without even being advanced enough to understand the secrets of the human brain. The other solution is far more complex, requiring that you completely comprehend and map out human consciousness itself, and find a way to manually create a program that mimics all the variables of the human mind. This requires mindbogglingly advanced biotech and AI programming capacity, and sounds a bit beyond a race from that technological era.

Human brain copy-pasta style programming has long been thought to be the most logical and easiest way to develop digital sentience by programmers and those developing Strong AI, so I don't own that any more than I do the idea of energized armor. Feel free to use it as well.

I have no problem is he wants to use Freespacers. I had them cut up into Fleets (clans, nodes, city-states) so that any GMs or players could have a greater degree of creative license if they wanted to utilize and tweak them.

Aenn said:
I have 3 goals in doing this: One, because I enjoy creating things...I just enjoy it. Two because doing this will make me more familiar with the universe...and finally, three to add a little chunk to the universe. Whether anyone decides to use it after I've created it is up to the community I suppose. If someone does, I might do something with it myself at some point later...but if someone wants to claim one of the characters I mention as their own (and consequentially the starship, depending on the character), that's fine if it's fine with those in charge.

However, it seems he's creating the Relic simply so he can educate himself about the SARP universe, and because he simply likes creating things. (The third reason really isn't viable, since newly created races/factions always struggle to find players at best and almost never have people just dropping by to join them at random. It takes a ton of hard work and dedication before a race/faction becomes actively used.) Since his primary reason seems to be the creation itself rather than the final product, I don't think he'd want to join a preexisting race, even if the outcome would be similar.

Sorry I haven't posted...crazy busy lately, what with classes, work, and losing my phone. x_X

Anyways...Yes, Leutre would be right...I'm more interested in creating something...but there's a rather steep learning curve for this, which makes me want to just make a character for now...but then again, I don't know that I'd be able to make one I'd be happy with.

Also...

Leutre Veressis said:
  • Freespacers also troublemakers -- Not space pirates, but anarchists and hackers derived from an ancestry of political dissidents, rebels, and terrorists.
  • Freespacers are also nomads, or at least a almost completely ship-based nation.

I never mentioned them being troublemakers or nomads o_o

Granted, the one I mentioned in particular would be a pirate (rather nomadic and causing trouble), but that says nothing for the race as a whole. The only stipulations for the entire "race" would be that they would generally be rather cold towards other people.

All of this is rather moot though, seeing as how I don't think Relics are going to work out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back