• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

A Census of Star Army

Arieg

DEFCON Everybody Dies
Its an interesting question I've always had about the factions of Star Army, how big are their populations and whats the ratio between tax payers and government/military workers. So far... via IRC and some discussion I've figured some raw numbers, what do you guys think?

- Yamatai -
15-20 Billion

- Nepleslia -
35-40 Billion

- Abwehrans -
9.5 Billion

- Gartagens -
64.07 Billion

- Lorath -
24 Billion Lorath
29 Billion Helashio
8 Billion Jiyunans

- Sesestrans -
12+/- Billion

- Hidden Sun Clan -
Total 951 million
Qaktoro 698 million
Tula 211 million
Qakla 20.5 million
Tuoro 21.5 million

Having some population counts for the YSE is one of my goals as a faction manager. To this end, I've been listing the totals on Yamatai's territory page so we can keep track of it better. I notice Yamatai's population seems to be small compared to other factions.

I'm kind of surprised the Gartagen population has spiked so hard. Between October of last year to October of this year they've increased in population four times over. How is this possible? Beyond being like rabbits or roaches as far as reproduction is concerned. Wouldn't this massive population boom lead to near or total collapse of an economy or massive food shortages?

I'm kind of surprised the Gartagen population has spiked so hard. Between October of last year to October of this year they've increased in population four times over. How is this possible? Beyond being like rabbits or roaches as far as reproduction is concerned. Wouldn't this massive population boom lead to near or total collapse of an economy or massive food shortages?

Thats what Ira told me the other night in the IRC, I suppose before we finalize hes going to need to justify it on here.

Even if that is the case, I seem to recall when contact was made that the Garts were resource poor, so why burden themselves with more than triple the original population with children. But its Ira's faction if that's what he says they did so be it.

Perhaps we can assume its a bit of a third world situation? While they would have a fairly large population most would be starving, dying, and or not contributing to the faction's economic capacity (And or would be a large strain on it.)

This is based off my notes, I have not updated the main Nesha page because I'm still trying to figure out percentages.

My'leke - 2.9 Billion
Laibe - 4.1 Billion
Daur - 4.2 Billion

Total - 11.2 Billion people

Out of all of that, 11 billion people pay taxes. The remaining 200 million do not, this number is comprised entirely of the military, as the military is exempt from paying any and all taxes. It should be noted that the actual number of military personal is constantly changing due to the Kingdom having mandatory military service. This tax exemption status is designed to be suspended if the military's population reaches 30% of the Kingdom's total population. However, ALL citizens are military trained (which is the reason for the mandatory service) and thus can be called upon at a moments notice.

(I did add more to this post, but since this thread is only about population and taxes, and not about the other stuff I had written....)

• Gartagens: 64.07 Billion (malthusian catastrophe?)
  • Lorath: 61 Billion
  • Nepleslia: 40 Billion
  • Yamatai: 20 Billion
  • Sesestrans: 12.5 Billion
  • Neshaten: 11.2 Billion
  • Abwehrans: 9.5 Billion
  • Hidden Sun Clan: 1.902 Billion
The count so far.

Arieg, you added the HSC total to their number the overall pop for the HSC is 951 million

• Gartagens: 64.07 Billion (Population is confirmed as a retcon and a population bomb detonation is also confirmed... so this may crash at some point I'd assume)
  • Lorath: 61 Billion (Reason for large number unconfirmed)
  • Nepleslia: 40 Billion (Unconfirmed but no complaints so far)
  • Yamatai: 20 Billion (Unconfirmed but no complaints so far from GMs but IRC disagreement has happened)
  • Sesestrans: 12.5 Billion (Roughly two earth populations scattered over three star systems in a far orbiting trinary)
  • Neshaten: 11.2 Billion
  • Abwehrans: 9.5 Billion
  • Hidden Sun Clan: 951 Million (Fixed Nashoba)

So gentlemen... are these counts accurate?

It seems okay for me, except for the Sesestrans. I don't see how we'd not know or care about 12.5 billion people living near several existing factions.

It seems okay for me, except for the Sesestrans. I don't see how we'd not know or care about 12.5 billion people living near several existing factions.
Through a combination of them being isolationist politically and somewhat semi-open in industry and trade, theres going to be some tie in with the Abwies, but for the most part they simply stayed out of everyone's way/business.

A bit of necro here but after reading a certain thread I had to bring it up, how does the 'largest' empire and faction on the site only have six billion souls? Saharan population density on 99 percent of its worlds?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the amount of people on planet Yamatai. There are over 40 inhabited worlds in the Yamatai Star Empire, and the majority of them are underpopulated frontier worlds.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back