• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

A Place for JPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys be interested in me setting up a special Star Army Etherpad on our site for you guys to write JPs on? An etherpad is a page that supports simultaneous editing by multiple users - it's great for writing roleplay posts that have a lot of back and forth dialogue.

As much as I love the pads, I'm not sure how much use a SARP one would see, just because most of the people who use the pads already have pads of their own. I know I have an account with at least 3 of the pad systems, and I know of at least 3-4 other users who have their own as well. It might be worth setting up just to experiment and see how much use it sees though.

It would get used by me.

Though recently people I play with have been requesting shamblespad because it is 'better on mobile'. Not sure I agree, but I wanted to being up that there are a lot of other pad-sites.

One thing that might be a cool side effect is other RP sites might want to use our pad system, which might get us more visits.

Let there be option to chose from as most (like me) don't have a Shamblespad to use, unless it with another player that had already started an account to one.

Would anyone be able to access the Pad that was in use or would it be accessible just by the users of that pad? @Wes

Not sure. We'd still have to figure out the details. I'm just checking for interest right now.

A more important question, would the Etherpad allow for multiple sessions as in; two different groups want to JP at the same time.

Pads can be set up either way, Samanthia, and you can even open a pad without any account at all, they just expire much faster if there's no attached account. You have a month with no activity without an account, 12 months without activity if you have one. If you have an account, you can make every pad you set up private or public however you like, and you can make the link whatever you'd like, instead of the autogenerated random ones that non-users default to.

Nashoba, a single account isn't one pad, it can have literally a dozen pads open if you want it to. Having an account gives you a new base url, but there are still multiple sublinks. I know with Koku, the pad was always "thevault.titanpad.com/_____", and so far as I know all of the pad systems work that way.

I'm not actually going to vote on this one cause it's not as simple as yes or no. While having an inbuilt pad system to the site can help, I would really really hate it if people could just find my pad. And some other people use their pads for planning and such. So individuals would need to be able to control the level of access they have. But such a system is going to expend resources, and I think there's better things we could use it on since we can just use free pads or even google drive just fine.

@Aendri, my comment was wanting to explicitly ensure that we can actually do multiple sessions. I know how other pads work, but we went from the IRC where we could easily spin off other rooms, to Shoutbox which currently only allows one. (Yes, I know Wes just mentioned in the Shoutbox, about a new version.)

Working with pads is a bit simpler than transitioning from the IRC to the Shoutbox. All of the pads function on literally identical open source codes, so you can expect the same kind of functionality regardless of which one you're using, or who the host is. That's the big reason a lot of us love them, there's no need to learn a new system if you switch hosts, or one of them gets taken down.

edit: Also, just for the sake of anyone who wasn't in the shoutbox during the discussion, Wes plans to update the shoutbox SOON(tm) to include the ability for us to run multiple rooms, just like the IRC.

Last edited:
It'd be a nice feature, though like Aendri said, we use them already with our own accounts.

I don't think there's any harm in creating your own official StarArmy pad. You'd probably dedicate it to the Eucharis. But you being the admin of that pad would make it actually of little use to GameMasters of other plots.

Basically, I think it's a good idea for you to use it, but I wouldn't do so with the expectation that people from various other plots would flock in to do their own thing. You may, however, get spectators. It's happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ