Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

Approved Character Ameko Kayama

KayamaAmeko

Inactive Member
Name: Ameko Kayama

General Information

Species: Yamataian

Family / Creators: Orphaned

Employer: Star Army of Yamatai
Current Assignment: Currently serving as pilot aboard the YSS Goban

Physical Characteristics

Height: 5'5" (165cm)
Weight: 127lb (57 kg)
Measurements (Chest, Waist, Hip) 35-28-34in (89-71-86cm)

Build and Skin Colour: Average build, yet somewhat toned. Pale skin color.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: Somewhat rounded face with smooth cheeks. A calm, collected expression on her face. Her eye color is a deep red.
Hair Colour and Style: Grey hair, pulled back into a professional-looking bun. Sometimes dyed green.

Distinguishing Features: The edge of a small tattoo sometimes visible at the base of the neck of her uniform.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Ameko's favorite place to be is the bridge, she has certainly shown a certain passion for piloting, as well as a knack for it. When she's not at the bridge, she's usually relaxing at a bar. She's usually very controlled and calm. Her Yamatai examiner's notes indicate that she seems to loosen up quite a bit when at the controls, particularly when performing difficult maneuvers. The examiner pointed out that his only concern was a subtle change in attitude and mien during the piloting section. When on-duty, she wears a very neat uniform, and behaves well in it, with proper posture. Off-duty, she wears casual civilian clothes, always tidy and proper (at least Yamatai reports say). No one is quite sure why she is so set on becoming a pilot, but every examiner noted her intense enthusiasm and discipline when this line of work was involved. Regardless of her special attention to everything during piloting, she is overall well-disciplined and motivated.

Likes: Chocolate strawberries and good controls on a ship.
Dislikes: Flying large ships.
Goals: Become the star pilot of the Fleet.

History

Not much is known about Ameko's past. She recently signed up for training as a pilot for the Yamatai fleet. Background checks indicate she's an orphan setting out to start a career. She passed preliminary examinations with flying colors, and is expected to work well in whatever ship she becomes crew of.

Skills

Communication: Ameko is familiar with basic radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through headsets, starships, power armor, and shuttles in both combat and non-combat conditions. She is fluent in English and Japanese. She can speak and write both correctly and efficiently and can write reports, fill forms, issue orders under fire, etc.

Fighting: Ameko received hand-to-hand combat training, followed up with a rigorous training program. She is skilled and experienced in combat both in Yamatai-like conditions and in zero-gravity, with and without weapons. Weapons she is trained in include energy pistols, knives, and power armor.

Technology Operation: Capable of operating any computer system that uses the Kessaku OS, found on all Star Army starships. She is proficient in entering and/or searching for information.

Mathematics: Ameko received basic mathematics training, to including up to algebra and trigonometry.

Starship Operations: Ameko is proficient at piloting, but currently lacks much experience. She prefers small- to medium-sized ships for their speed and maneuverability, and enjoys dealing with smaller crews when in command.

Leadership: Written tests also showed appropriate knowledge in tactics and strategy, with an interesting balance between defensive and offensive tactics. Psychological examinations showed decent command skills, as well as her ability to remain calm and keep a crew at its best even under great stress.

Fighting: Ameko is comfortable using most standard weaponry provided by the Yamatai navy. Physically, she is well-built, although her uniform tends to belie this. Weapons and Martial Arts examinations revealed decent motor and mental control, along with satisfactory effectiveness.

EDIT: messed up with hair color, fixed now.
EDIT: Followed most of the pointers in replies.
EDIT: Added metric values, removed breast size altogether. I'm sure male characters are not required to post penis size.

I noticed 3 points:

~ Firstly, is there any good reason why the character is a Geshrin? The usual human character of the Yamatai Star Empire are the Yamataians. I suggest you switch to that race.

~ Secondly, your character's history should not be 'unknown'. People here don't really have secret pasts, so, if there's anything in particular about your character that would need to be known, I'd suggest you plainly mention it. It's okay to just type 'orphaned' and give only bare details on the character's identity so that you can flesh things out later, but I recommend you supply at least the barebones - at least for GM reference. Things can certainly be fleshed out later.

~ My third point is the tone of your characte regarding her proficiency. I suggest not relying on third-party point of view to define her expertise and just say what she does. Try to avoid promiting her being very good until you actually get some active experience with the character and get a good perception on the role a starship ilot already have. It's one thing to be potentially good, anothe rto actually be a good in-character pilot, believe.

Our words again carry little weight, as Wes has approved your character in its current form. However, I'd like to agree with Kotori -- the third-party business (examiners, reports) is unnecessary. Just say what she does.

Keep in mind that right now we lack plots for players. However, if you'd like, there is a new ship being planned that's primarily a utility ship, and it lacks a pilot. If you're interested, that'd be a good place to start.

I edited a couple of things in her profile following the replies and suggestions. I like using some third-party reports, for a mixture of validity/flow of narration. I didn't feel it was that big a deal to put observations from a preliminary examiner's notes, since I feel this would have little effect on anyone else's characters. I agree that I stressed her abilities as a pilot a bit much, and in the wrong way, so I edited it a bit. Tell me what you guys think of the edit.
I'd like being assigned to a ship as a pilot, even though I'd rather see more combat. Gotta start somewhere anyways, right?

Thanks for your replies, guys, I hope my edits helped a bit. If not, I can always go back and fix it.

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 127
Measurements: Undisclosed
Bra Size: Undisclosed

You should try to put in both inches and metric values (along with lbs and kg for weight). You don't really have to think up measurements, but a bra size might help some people picture... well, that part. *shrugs*

Roleplayed out experience/proficency is best over just history. You don't actually know how well you're going to react/write to a situation, so, your pilot (or combattant, whatever - it applies to everyone) might not fare all that well... so, setting a character above just being competent can lead to distorted portrayals.

An utility ship could let you have your character win some experience without being in situations always as hectic as starship combat. An utility ship doesn't mean dull it's just different and probably a good place for a newcomer. ^_^

That's why I always say that it was in preliminary tests that she excelled. A lot of people can do really well in initial tests and then completely fail when it comes to doing stuff for real.

I considered putting both values, but I saw a lot of people posting only one or the other on the new character proposal forums, so I didn't see why I should go find conversion numbers for it.

Putting measurements and breast size also seemed not only unnecessary, but a bit demeaning, so I decided not to put those measurements in. If you want to get an idea of her "build", just look at her body type description: Average, with slight muscle build due to working out. Also, my avatar is pretty much what the character description is like, take that into account if you're really set on knowing what cup size she is :)

While I understand that logic, that's not how it works. These are bios that commanders access on occasion too, and if we're going by third-party routines, she was medically examined before placed on active duty and her at least her basic medical records would be accessible by her commanders.

Google makes it very easy to convert numbers. Just go "XX m in in" and it will give you the conversion.

Sorry I didn't mention it in my reply, I did fill in the metric measurements for it before your reply.

I'm adding the other measurements now, as soon as I convert them to metric.

We can gather from her bust measurement that her bra size is 35X (though modern day bras generally only come in even numbers of inches), where X would be cup size.
Code:
Bust size (chest only) minus band size (across breasts and nipples)	Cup size
0" to 0.5" 	AA
1" or less 	A
2" or less 	B
3" or less 	C
4" or less 	D
5" or less 	DD or E (labels are not standardized)
6" or less 	DDD or F
7" or less 	DDDD or FF or G
1155967946050.jpg

A: Bust size
B: Chest
C: Waist
D: Hips

See also:
http://brastraps.com/brafit.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_sizes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13402

RPG-D RPGfix