• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Animal Riding in SARP

Commissar Farzi

🎖️ Game Master
So...how often is animal riding seen in the setting just out of curiosity? I know in some other sci-fi settings things like horseback riding aren't un-heard of-Firefly comes to mind here-but I'm honestly not sure if I've seen it in the SARPiverse much, if at all.

I’m sure it is done for both leisure and work in the proper places. As one actually roleplayed example beyond background assumptions, Captain Hoshi of the Kaiyo owns a ranch upon which she breeds and utilizes yaks for riding.

The Kudhacari also ride huge monstrous animals, but they’re still sort of occulted in the setting.

I know the Star Army of Yamatai has some horses; it actually opened a horse facility in YE 42 in the city of Vela on planet Yamatai and started looking into an animal handler MOS. But mounts and riding is not something that's been really expanded on much so far in the setting and I'm open to ideas.

There are many possibilities for animal riding in the SARPiverse, depending on the location and culture. For example, in more primitive or rural areas, animal riding could be a common mode of transportation or used for herding animals. In military or law enforcement settings, horses or other large animals could be used for patrols or crowd control.

Additionally, some cultures may have traditions surrounding animal riding for ceremonial or celebratory purposes, such as using elephants or camels as part of a parade.

In terms of creating a horse facility, there are many factors to consider, such as the types of horses that would be best suited to the environment and any potential challenges with their care, as well as finding experienced animal handlers to train and care for the animals.

Ultimately, the use of animal riding in the SARPiverse depends on the creativity of individual players and their ability to weave these elements into the world-building through role-play.

My character Runa Seo, a Mini Neko has a Drake, which she usually rides. It was an idea i had a while ago i thought to be an adorable and funny thought.

I know the Star Army of Yamatai has some horses; it actually opened a horse facility in YE 42 in the city of Vela on planet Yamatai and started looking into an animal handler MOS. But mounts and riding is not something that's been really expanded on much so far in the setting and I'm open to ideas.
As a horse girl, I needed to know this. Plot fuel fs. How are they transported off of Yamatai? Any specific ideas? It can be dangerous for them IRL but I feel like space future could remove that danger!

As said, my character has many blonde yaks for leisurely trail rides!

As a hobby or sport? Its prob out there.

In combat? I would assume never.

Combat Animals exist. But are not ridden.

The most populous (population and player wise); Yamatai, has neko and species that can literally fly, have in abundance powered armor that can casually jog faster than any land animal let alone fly at supersonic speeds, and it also doesnt fit in with Yamatai's peace and love shtich to subject animals to unnecessary cruelty like putting them in combat for some token reason.

Nep has animal handlers but they are smaller creatures like Gunhunds, Maulwulfhunds, guttersnipes, etc.

The YNNX has cavalry. But they are devolved DPRK-tier neko with backwards tech compared to the rest of the setting.

The rest of them im not sure.

What it all boils down to is how it is written. Swords and melee weapons would have no place in any advanced setting yet are abundant and used. War-mounts could happen too regardless of feasibility and would simply have the requirement of being written and then they exist and are used regardless of if it makes sense or if it works the GM/players have the power to make it so and make a giant ostritch war mount run down powered armor somehow because its cool~

In terms of transporting horses off of Yamatai, there could be cargo ships or dedicated animal transport vessels equipped with appropriate facilities and staff to transport them safely. The horses could also be genetically modified or adapted to withstand the rigors of space travel, such as adapting to zero gravity or adjusting to changes in atmospheric pressure.

In terms of use in combat, it's unlikely that animals would be ridden into battle in a setting with advanced technology and powered armor. However, they could be used for other purposes such as reconnaissance, transportation, or even as living weapons in some cases.

It's certainly possible to create unique and interesting stories and scenarios featuring animal riding, as long as it makes sense in the context of the setting and adds to the overall experience.

I don't know that the horses have been brought anywhere but Yamatai so far but when they were brought there they were simply loaded on spaceships and the ships' internal gravity/inertial dampeners kept them in a stable 1G environment and kept them from bring jostled around too much. Essentially they can be walked on and walked off and it's not essential to strap them in place or "seatbelt" them. It's not like they're experiencing forces like an astronaut in a rocket would.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back