• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Celia [Anisa] Changing of the Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yangfan

Inactive Member
Henry sat in his office, humming a tune. His cybernetic right hand was detached and sitting on his desk. He had attached a simple grasping hook to his right wrist, and was taking apart the cybernetic hand with practiced ease.

“Ahoy! Permission to come aboard, captain?”

Henry looked up toward the source of the voice. A tall, purple-haired Neko was standing at the threshold. “Can I help you, Sakai?”

“Nice hook, sir,” replied Sakai, giggling. “And yes, you can help me: by telling me that Aurore Branard is never setting foot on this ship.”

Henry shook his head. “Sorry. I’ve made up my mind.” He picked up a small piece cybernetics with his left hand, examined it, frowned, and placed it back onto the table.

Sakai sighed, and closed the office door behind her. “Permission to sit down, sir?” She sensed that this could take a while.

“Of course. How rude of me. Have a seat.”

Sakai plopped down on the leather chair on the other side of the desk. “What if I asked you nicely?”

“Look, I’ve already told Taisho Yui that I’m recommending Branard as my replacement.” Henry concentrated on his task, determined not to let Sakai ruin his day.

“Tell her that you’ve changed your mind then.”

“No.”

“But Branard is a terrible commander! We got to keep the bad lady away from this ship! Pleeeeeeeeeease?” Sakai smiled and batted her eyebrows.

Henry chuckled. “Leave me alone, Sakai.” He picked up a small piece of metal that looked like a tiny motor. “Ah-ha.”

“What if… I made it worth your while?” Sakai grinned deviously. She stood up, and unzipped her uniform down to her navel, revealing tantalizing glimpses of flesh and bra.

Henry, wearing with a neutral expression, did his best to ignore the Neko. He tossed the motor into the trash bin, and began to rummage in the drawers underneath his desk.

Shina opened the door ajar and poked her head in. “Sir, are we still on for…”

“EEK!” exclaimed Sakai, hurriedly zipping up her uniform. “Shina! This is NOT what it looks like!”

Shina stared at Sakai with a raised eyebrow. “It looks like you were trying to convince Chen-Taisho to not hand over his position to Branard.”

“Oh. Uh, in that case, it’s exactly what it looks like.”

Shina nodded. “Please try not to resort to seduction unless you have to. He’s mine, you know? Well… Good luck!” She closed the door.

“Ooookay,” murmured Sakai as she stared at the closed door. She turned around to face Henry. “Sir, about…”

“Branard is the best person for the job, Sakai,” said Henry, cutting her off. “It’s sad but true. We told everyone who’s not Nekovalkyrja or Yamataian to go home, remember?” He took a tiny motor, which looked identical to the one he threw away, out of its packaging.

“That can wait, sir. Did Shina just mention that you guys were a couple now?”

“Unless ‘he’s mine’ is Neko slang for something else, yeah.” Henry picked up another piece of cybernetics and sniffed it.

“This is…” Sakai had a very serene look on her face as she slowly sat down. “This is the biggest piece of gossip since, well, since Ashigari-Taisho got shot on the bridge.”

“That’s a rather morbid comparison,” replied Henry. He began putting the cybernetic hand back together.

Sakai leaned forward. She looked nervous. “Sir, may I… err, inform others of this joyous news?”

Henry thought about it. “Okay, if I can get some peace and quiet in return.”

Sakai nodded. “Deal, but I can’t promise anything about the other crewmen. Branard has quite the reputation… Shake on it?” She extended her hand, and then realized that Henry was still putting his hand back together. “Erm… I’m sorry sir.”

“One second,” answered Henry as he clicked the last piece of cybernetics into place on the hand. He carefully removed the grasping hook from the stump of his right wrist, and placed his cybernetic right hand back at its rightful location. The hand made a satisfying “click” sound as it snapped into place.

Henry flexed the fingers of his right hand. “Ah, much better.” He shook Sakai’s hand. “We have an agreement.”

Sakai bowed deeply. “Permission to be dismissed, sir?” Upon seeing Henry nod, she turned and ran out of the office.

There was much work do be done.

(OOC: I apologize ahead of time for the sappy-ness of this post. Henry is such a drama-llama.)

>> Tania, Yamatai

The Italian restaurant, at one of the busier sectors of the sleepy suburb, was a place frequently patronized by the Chen family. Near the rear of the restaurant, in a dimly-lite corner where the only illumination came from candlelight, sat a young Nepleslian and his green-haired Neko companion.

“Henry, you look troubled. What’s wrong?” asked Shina as she nibbled at her dish of lasagna.

“I was talking to Liam…” replied Henry. “And I was asking him not to make Sakai choose between her career and him… And I realized that I was giving you the same choice.”

“Henry, I would never choose some job over you.” Shina gently placed her hands on Henry’s shoulders.

“But that’s just it, Shina. I don’t want to force you to make that choice. I don’t want to make you ruin your own career over my selfish act… I just wanted to tell that, whatever happens, whatever choices you make in life, you’ll never lose me. Until the day that you tell me otherwise, I will always be your friend, and I will do everything that is within my power to stay by your side. If you choose to stay in the Star Army, I will crawl back to Yui and beg to be re-instated as an officer, with the same rank as you. If you decide to leave the Star Army, I will follow you to any planet, any system, any galaxy.”

“Henry…”

“I just… All I’m asking for… I need a favor, okay?”

“Name it, Henry. Whatever you want…”

A while later, on the Celia…

The long tables of the mess hall has been pushed up against the walls for the party. Dozens of crewmen from the Celia battle-group were already there, mingling among themselves. Several Nekos and Yamataians were carrying more snacks and dishes out from the kitchen. Under Celia’s directions, several Nekos were hanging up a large banner that read:

“GOOD-BYE CHEN-TAISHO WE WILL MISS YOU!”

“He’s coming! He’s just down the hall!” yelled Sakai as she ran into the mess hall.
Celia clapped her hands once. The lights in the mess hall went out, plunging the room into darkness. “Hide!” she hissed.

As the partygoers took cover, Sakai huddled up against Yuri.

“You know, I’m really going to miss him,” whispered Sakai.

“I know… Me too,” replied Yuri in a low voice.

“I just wish he didn’t pick that Aurore bitch to replace him…”

“Err, Sakai…” said Yuri.

“What? Let’s be honest here. The woman has the charisma of a Mishhu. Probably smell like one too…”

A quiet, polite cough came from behind Sakai.

“And… She’s hiding right behind me, isn’t she?” asked Sakai.

Yuri nodded solemnly.

At that moment, Henry and Shina walked into the mess hall.

Sakai screamed and jumped in Yuri’s general direction. Her scream was drowned out as the rest of the partygoers stood up and yelled: “SURPRISE!”

Henry took a bow. “Thank you. This was very thoughtful.”

“Hey… He doesn’t look surprised at all!” observed Meemeel in an annoyed voice. “Shina! Did you spill the beans?”

Before Shina could object, Henry placed a defensive arm around her. “All she said was that she was thirsty, and wanted to get a drink from the cafeteria… She’s also a very poor actress, by the way… Um, why did Sakai just tackle Yuri? Do I even want to know?”

“I believe I was the source of Sasaki-Shosa’s distress, Chen-Taisho,” replied Aurore Branard as she bowed deeply to Henry. “It is an honor to meet you again.”

Henry acknowledged Aurore’s presence with an uncomfortable nod.

“Get off me!” said Yuri as she pushed Sakai up and away from her, and laughed.

Sakai scrambled off the floor, and bowed to Henry and Aurore. “I apologize for my outburst earlier, ma’am.”

Aurore nodded. “Talking behind others’ backs is not a quality befitting an officer. Do try to change your behavior in the future. Oh, and I bath everyday, thank you very much.”

Sakai winced, and bowed again before scurrying away.

Henry watched the scene with a mixture of amusement and concern. “Have you and Captain Hayasaka been formally introduced yet?” he asked.

“I thought Hayasaka-Chusa is only the acting captain?”

“I managed to talk her into formally accepting the position,” replied Henry, beaming with pride. He greeted the crewmen who came up to him, returned bows, and shook every hand that was offered to him.

Yuri remembered how Henry had reminded her that, if the ship had no captain, the crew would be completely at the mercy of Aurore Branard. Years after she had resigned from SAINT and gave up her ambitions, it seemed that her career was on an upswing again. Yuri hoped that someone would appreciate the irony. She bowed. “It would be an honor to serve under you, Branard-Chujo.”

“I’m sure… Call me Aurore,” replied the blonde-haired Yamataian. She winked at Yuri.

“Leave her alone, Aurore,” said Henry as he watched Yuri’s face turn pale. “Shina, mind if I have a few private words with Branard-Chujo?”

“Of course not, sir,” replied Shina. “Let’s go, Yuri.”

“Some last minute advice, sir?” asked Aurore as they were left alone.

“Only if you wish to hear it, Aurore,” replied Henry. “If so, follow me.”

The two retreated toward a quiet corner of the mess hall, away from the party. Henry had to turn back a few times to accept farewells from more crewmembers.

After a few minutes, Henry and Aurore settled down at a long bench table.

“What should be my first priority, Chen-Taisho?”

“Recruit more personnel. Yui pretty much gutted this fleet with her executive order.”

“That’s not exactly my strong suit, sir. The soldiers don’t seem to like me much. I don’t know why…”

“Yes. You do seem to have a bit of… reputation. No matter. Celia, Yuri, Ryoko, and Kioko will assist you in the recruitment process. I’m sure there would a few desperate enough to avoid the front lines to serve in this fleet.” Henry sighed.

“And then, sir?”

“Make yourself useful to the Empire. Explore. Survey. Make friends with new alien races and locate good mining systems. Crush any stray Mishhu ships that wander into your patrol region. If things look grim, do the sensible thing and evacuate the entire sector, then settle down far away from the Mishhu and start over. Yui gives her fleet admirals wide leeway in how they choose to serve humanity. Be thankful of that.”

“… If you don’t mind me asking, sir, why are you leaving?”

“It’s okay. I get asked that a lot these days… When Yui first commissioned me as fleet admiral, it was agreed that my job was to piece the Third Expeditionary back together after the Elysian attack on Tami. Then, after months of hard work and many successful missions, she shattered my fleet again. I’m… I’m not cleaning up after her again. I’m just not. Um, I guess that’s your job now.” He laughed. “I need a vacation. A long one.”

Aurore nodded.

The day after, in the shuttle bay:

The senior crew of the Celia had gathered into a line, resplendent and shining in white, gray, and green in their formal uniforms. They had come to bid Henry good bye.

Henry wore his all-white formal uniform as he approached the Jilanth shuttle that would take him to Yamatai, to his family’s mansion. Yet he would be leaving home rather than returning to it. Home was where Shina was.

Shina stood fifth in the line of officers, which was ordered by seniority. She exchanged a warm smile with Henry as he walked past.

Aurore stood near the door of the shuttle, and away from the line. There was no rank pin on her white formal uniform. She bowed deeply to Henry when he walked up to her.

Henry took off his Taisho pin and affixed it to Aurore’s bosom. “Don’t worry, I won’t punch you like the Nekos do.”

Aurore looked relieved. Then her eyes widened as Henry removed his ceremonial saber, hilt and all, from his belt.

“I hear that you’re good with sabers. This one has been with me for a few years. Take it,” said Henry as he lifted it up with both hands. “Give it to the next Taisho when you retire.”

“Sir! I can’t accept this! The sword is an officer’s most precious possession!”

“Wrong. I’ve already handed you this fleet, and along with it, the lives of this fleet’s crew. Those are infinitely more precious to me than this piece of metal. And until you learn to feel the same way, Aurore, you will always be a failure as an officer. Remember that.”

Aurore lowered her head, and raised her hands palm up.

Henry gently dropped the saber into her hands, and then turned for one last look at his beloved crew before entering the shuttle.

Those still in the bay turned to leave as the shuttle’s hatches closed and the Celia began the countdown for depressurization.

A while later, Shina silently watched from the other side of the airlock as Henry’s shuttle departed. She clutched in her hands a key made of jade.

(OOC: Close your eyes and imagine an orchestral version of Danny Boy playing as the shuttle shoots out of the Celia and flies into space.)

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back