• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Celia [Anisa Star Fortress] Shattered Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yangfan

Inactive Member
Henry was having a heated discussion with someone via a holographic screen. His desk is covered with a few rank pins, dozens of data pads, and several laptops. Beyond the desk, near the door to his office, two Nekos in gray panels stood helpless, waiting while clutching data pads to their bosoms.

"I don't care that she's on leave! Find her! Drag her out of the shower if you have to! Do you have any clue how few qualified doctors I have?"

With a snap of his fingers, Henry ended the call. He turned his tired gaze to the two Nekos.

"What?" he asked with a sneer. One of the Nekos winced.

The other Neko stepped forward. "Chen-Taisho, sir! The fortress's main medical station is reporting that it is dangerously under-crewed."

"Why? Has there been an injury? It's not like we're on the front lines."

"Quite a few Geshrin soldiers have queued up to receive upgrades, sir."

"Tell them to take a number and go home if the wait is too long. Inform all crew that harassment of Geshrin soldiers will be dealt with to the fullest extent of martial law. Anything else?"

The first Neko nodded timidly. "Several ships in the fleet are still without a chief medical officer, sir."

"I'm working on that," answered Henry as he rubbed his eyes. "In the mean time, if a ship is lacking a chief medical officer, inform the highest ranked doctor or medic aboard that she will serve as the acting chief medical officer until further notice."

"But sir!" The Neko protested, "Most of them are inexperienced! There are only nurses left on some of the smaller ships!"

"I'm aware of that," Henry answered with a groan. "We'll avoid combat zones until we get reinforcements, okay?"

Shina rushed into the room. "Sir! You'll want to take a look at this…"

Henry took the datapad she handed him. It displayed a news story about a certain 3XF Admiral disagreeing with certain recent orders from the Mistress Taisho in a private letter to a certain senator. It appeared that the senator had revealed the contents of the letter during a senate session. Another senator must have leaked it to the press.

"Oh fuck me!" Henry exclaimed.

The two gray-paneled Nekos looked at each other. One of them began to disrobe.

"I didn't mean that literally! … Get out of my office!"

The two Nekos scurried out. Henry half-heartedly threw a data pad after them, which landed on the soft carpet near the doorway.

Henry placed both of his hands on the edge of his desk. He felt ill.

"How old is the story, Shina?"

"It's been out for a few days, sir. I'm sorry. I should've caught it earlier."

"Don't worry about it. If Yui was really mad, I'd be dead by now… Ugh. What a mess," Henry said with a sigh.

Liam appeared through the doorway. He knelt down to pick up the data pad that Henry had thrown, and placed it back on Henry's desk. "Chen-Taisho, sir? I know you're busy, but could I talk to you for few minutes?"

"Depends. Is it about work?"

"No sir. It's a more personal matter."

Henry took a good look at Liam, a Nepleslian, just like him. They haven't seen each other since Henry left the Celia. "I can do better than a few minutes, Liam. Let's go find a café or something… Shina, could you please hold down the fort until I get back?"

"I'll try my best… By the way, sir, you've been working for 12 hours straight," said Shina. "Please get some rest after you've talked to Liam."

Henry answered her with an affectionate peck on her forehead, which left Shina blushing as he left the room.

"I could come back at another time if you're tired, sir," offered Liam as he followed Henry out of the office.

"It's all right, Liam. I can get a nightcap at a café before turning in…"

"I didn't know you drank, sir."

"I was thinking ginger ale."

"Oh."

(To be continued as my schedule permits...)

It was a Western-styled coffee shop. Several Nekos were chatting excitedly at a table near the front of the café, which was brightly lit. A Yamataian couple were have a quiet discussion in the back, were the light was dimmer. All of the café's occupants, including the baristas behind the counter, were wearing Star Army uniforms.

Therefore, it was not surprising that everyone got up and bowed to Henry as he and Liam walked inside. Henry sighed and returned the bow. He was going to miss this level of fame and respect.

After Henry insisted that Liam order first, Liam ordered a cup of coffee, black. Henry then ordered a cup of ginger ale, which he requested to be heated until warm. The Neko barista handed them the steaming beverages in glass cups.

"Okay. What's on your mind?" asked Henry after they had sat down.

"It's about my upgrade, sir."

Henry flinched. He wasn't quite ready to have this conversation.

"You all right, sir?" asked Liam.

"Yeah… Um, I thought you had already made up your mind to go through with it. Having second thoughts?" Henry took a sip of his ginger ale.

"I'm rather attached to my body, sir." Liam looked down on his coffee.

"Aren't we all?" Henry smiled, but there was a hint of bitterness in it. "But consider the benefits: You'll be faster, stronger. Minor injuries won't incapacitate you as much. Your memory will improve and you'll become more productive. And let's not forget that it's the only way to keep your job." He leaned back in his chair.

Liam looked up, and stared into Henry's eyes. "Will it still be my job, though, sir?"

"Ugh. Must we go there?"

"It will be some clone of me, with my memories, won't it?"

Henry remained silent for a moment. "Well, I wouldn't go that far…"

"Oh come on!" Liam waved his hand dismissively. "Don't tell me you believe that superstitious drivel spouted by the Elysians."

"No, it's not that." Henry shook his head, and then clasped his hands together in front of his face. "What… what is life… but the survival of the mind?"

"I don't follow you, sir."

"We're the sum of our experiences, Liam. Is it absolutely necessary that all of those memories were experienced in one body? Hasn't that rule been broken already? In the old stories, when the hero finally slew the dragon, every reader who had ever read those words held his bloody sword in their hands. The actor, who sneaks past the guards and creeps into the king's bedchamber, makes murderers of us all, since we would all identify with his fear, if only for a moment. And… if I dreamt that I was a butterfly, isn’t it absurd to insist that I had somehow died in my dream, only to be re-born as I wake?"

Liam shook his head. "I still wouldn't be me anymore, sir…"

Henry took a moment to drink his ginger ale. "If it'll make you feel better, you can pay to have your old body cryogenically frozen. That way, there's always a way back after you end your military career."

"I don't know if I could afford that…"

Henry smirked. "I'm sure Sakai would be happy to help you with it… That brings me to my next point: What would Sakai do without you?"

"Her mandatory service period has been over for a few years now. I guess she really likes it here." Liam sighed. "A better question would be: What would I do without her?"

"She loves you, you know," said Henry. "Yuri tells me that, before Sakai met you, she never kept a boyfriend for more than a week. You guys have been together for… what? Two years?"

"Probably closer to three…" Liam gulped down his coffee.

"Don't make her choose between her career and her love."

"Forgive me, sir, but isn't that a little hypocritical of you? I mean, you're going to be leaving Shina behind… Why are you leaving the Star Army in the first place? I'm sure they'll let you stay if you just ask."

Henry drained what's left of the ginger ale in his cup, and then looked around. “I’d rather not talk about it in public. Suffice it to say that… I disagree with some of the decisions made by our leaders.â€

Henry wandered into his room, yawned, and entered the bathroom. He instinctively reached for the medicine cabinet, to open it as to obtain the toiletries within, only to feel his right hand uselessly clink against the lid.

“Oh. Right. The servos… Fuck.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back