Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Anti-Spam Updates to the Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've made two security/anti-spam updates to the Star Army dokuwiki:
  • CAPTCHA has been replaced by Google ReCaptcha 2 on guest edit screens and user registration screen. Note: logged-in users will still not have to complete any sort of captcha.
  • User registrations are now checked against the StopForumSpam database by email, IP, and username
Additionally, over 300 fake accounts were removed.

Well, XenForo has a lot of great anti-spam features (including being able to work with StopForumSpam's API out of the box), but Dokuwiki is more simplistic. My hope is that replicating some of the good anti-spam features the forum uses with wiki plugins will help make the wiki as protected against automated registrations as the forum is.

Somewhat bizarrely, the spam registrations we get on the wiki almost never actually make a wiki edit. I think it's only happened once or twice. I think their robot just doesn't know how to deal with DokuWiki (Maybe it's optimized for Mediawiki or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back