• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Aquila Flight - Return and Recover (Interlude 0.5)

As she awaited a reply to her request, Lt. Mochizuki watched the dramatic goings on with a slightly raised eyebrow and did not get involved. It was typical macho Nepleslian antics in the command structure, the way Jayden and Winters went at it over his daughter. Though she didn't pin him for it at upon first meeting earlier today, now it was starting to make clearer sense why Lilith was the Commander's assigned ACE with a personality not unlike a somewhat catty, jealous woman... he obviously had a rocky relationship with female personnel getting him in trouble, so perhaps in some way it protected him. Still, she would have to keep an eye on him just in case the head honcho decided to get more violent... thankfully Lexi intervened and defused things.

Now that the sideshow was out of the way, Sayoko turned to regard Virgil again who had drawn markedly closer to her. Her face had that pale look about it still, and sometimes her eyes were a little distant, even if she was looking straight at him. "I prefer to turn in at 2200 hours. I will take the bottom berth, thank you, since I tend to be rather restless at night," she replied with a little bit of hesitation, obviously glossing over the real reason. "I doubt it is your fault if I am up."

It was about that time that she realized she still had the rather tight bandage wrapped around her head from the first aid medic's paranoid treatment. Sayoko reached up and silently unwound it, as the hemosynthetic processes had already largely made the gash from where her forehead hit the flight console disappear. As the gauze fell into her hand gracefully, there was only a small discolored spot that had more in common with a bruise than a head wound. This might have been quite surprising for Virgil if he hadn't seen a Yamataian body's quick healing up close before, but to be fair, it also was a lot slower than what a true Nekovalkyrja could do. It did add to her mystique, however... who knows how many battle scars she truly had gotten, if they vanished soon afterward? But the biggest ones were those that could not be seen... the ones inside.

The Jiyuuian shook her head once to allow her green hair to fall down more comfortably, and then returned her gaze to the handsome roommate. She put on more of a solemn expression, thinking she was worrying him too much. "Thank you for your concern, but I will be fine... besides, we all have seen rough times in just the last few hours alone. Time to rest and plan for tomorrow."

"I guess I did push a few of his buttons, but really, I did nothing of the sort. Not intentionally anyways." Jayden took a deep breath and composed himself before looking to Miranda and her serene, yet ominous, visage. With an eyebrow raised he opened his mouth to speak, only to pause and rethink his words. "Maybe I should be the one to sleep in the hanger tonight. Might actually be safer there. A look like that... I remember getting a look like that from my mother when she kept her public face but was genuinely displeased with me."

"Noted Bannings..." Jayden stated, taking caution toward Miranda cheerful (frightful) given advice. "Right, well then. Since everyone has figured out who they are going to be prepared with for the evening, or at least who they are sharing a room with, I think it's safe to say this impromptu meeting is over." He said to everyone at the table. His eyes moved from Miranda, relaxing into a more natural and neutral expression, resting upon the bottle of vodka he no longer had a taste for.

"Food... I think something to eat would be very much appreciated right now." He thought to himself as he picked up the bottle and shot glass then walked them back over to the bartender.

As everyone called it a night, Nero slowly stood up. He caught the eye of Jayden then of Sayoko. "Excuse me, but I need to speak to both of you." He said softly to the two of them, just loud enough so that the others couldn't hear. Nero walked slowy towards his assigned quarters. As he reached the door he stumbled. He caught himself, slowly standing trying to catch his breath. "Those nurses will be pissed at me." He said clutching his chest. He reached out and opened the door ushering them inside. "I know you are wondering why you are here." He said as they setteled in the sparse quarters. There was a small couch in the corrner of the room and against the far wall was Nero's bed. "As you are surely aware, we have a mole. The way the cargo planes slammed into the hangers, they shouldn't have exploded the way they did. There is also the tampering of the commanders craft. Ms. Sayoko, I asked you to join us because you used to be IPG. I need your expertise here." He grabbed his data jockey and the hologram of Cipher popped up. "Cipher please show the commanders systems before and after the tampering please." He said as Cipher appeared on both of his guests data jockeys. "Take a look."

Sayoko followed her superiors into the more private setting with a simple nod, knowing full well the reason she was pulled aside before the words even left Nero's mouth. To be honest, she was actually a bit relieved to slip back into a focused state and rip her thoughts away from their dangerous inward spiral to that of the external enemy at hand. The green haired woman leaned on the wall near the couch and folded her arms. "Yes, I was formerly of the IPG, and hunting down spies such as this was our bread and butter. Things have gotten more lax since the DATASS treaty with Yamatai, and I believe that's what has led to the resurgence of the Reds hidden in our ranks. This strike was too well coordinated to be anything but an inside job." She picked up the DataJockey with the virtual image of Nero's ACE on the display, and swiped through the systems diagnostic reports compared side by side of Jayden's Uno X, frowning visibly. "The missile bays, half the shield emitter arrays, rear cannons, and sections of the Vogel Drive's liquid metal coolant system were all using serial numbers of known faulty prototype or decomissioned components... these all went offline shortly after takeoff. Our mole must have an advanced knowledge of the maintenance taskings, or is one of the senior grounds crew himself." Sayoko looked up and met the eyes of the flight's XO. "We're trained to trust them. But they deliberately set you up to fail, Striker."

Jayden lookedto Nero questioningly, wondering what his commanding officer was so subtly unnerved about. With a soft sigh he obliged the Captain and followed along to Nero's temporary quarters. "Nero, you really should be taking it easy. I swear if you aren't marginally better in two days, I'll make sure they nurses strap your ass to a damn bed and keep you there." Watching Nero still struggling with his injuries, Jayden thought silently to himself about how much of a fool he thought the CO was being. Once in the room, Jayden propped up against the door with his right leg bent and his foot up by his left knee. "Sadly, that was the first time I hadn't performed my own check on my ship. I'll be damned if it'll happen again." Jayden seemed pretty irritated about his mistake, but it proved he wasn't perfect nor infaliable. "I'm not sure why they targeted me over Nero, but that's not exactly a focus point. Sabotage is just that, and should be handled the same regardless of the intended target." There was something within the green eyes of the Jiyuuian former IPG pilot that he noted silently to himself. "She's struggling with something, beyond that of the sabotage and the threat of a spy."

"Right, but that's not all. Hanger 6, which erupted into a massive inferno had no reason to." Nero said. "The manifest of the hanger shows that the only things stored there were old decommisioned planes and scrap metal. There was no reason for the building to have knocked me off my feet." He finished looking towards his chest. "Even if it was the cargo carrier's fuel that went up, it wouldn't have caused that large of an explosion. Then there is the fact that our early warning systemes were deactivated a few hours before the attack." Nero finished.

"That doesn't make any sense. I had been in that hanger just a day prior. That's where all of the prototype parts had been moved to along with the aging Vogels that needed to be rebuilt. The sheer amount of ordinance in that hanger was staggering. In fact..." Jayden trailed off looking to his DataJockey and pulled up a to do list that he maintained meticulously. It was noted he needed to find out who authorized the ordinance to be housed in that hanger, and why so much of it was in one place. "Here... you'll see I made a note about it." He sent the file to both of them and then rolled his shoulder in an attempt to keep it somewhat loose. Jayden's golden hazel eyes looked to Nero's glacial blues and then to Sayoko's emerald greens. "Do you think they made it aboard the Oracle?"

"There is no doubt about it. The spy knew about the attack. Also considering he or she wasn't caught and failed in taking you and I out, I would bet you my wings they made it within the crew." Nero growled angrily. He sat on the edge of his bed, and reached for another cigarette. Hopefully to calm his nerves. He lit it and took a long drag, then offered one to his subordinates. "I also believe that there has to be at least one highly ranked offical within Fort Sentinel. How else could they have gotten access to Hanger 7, changed the manifests of Hanger 6, and took out the early warning system?" He said.

Sayoko didn't flinch, as she continued to have her gaze fixed on Jayden and answered his question he tried to divert attention away from before. "Commander, it should be obvious why you were targeted. You are the brains of the operation of Aquila Flight. I came into the wardroom lounge in the middle of you explaining about a project you were working on named 'Hell's Scythe' that was up until the events today, classified. The Reds must have wanted to remove you from that equation, hoping to cut the project off at its head and stopping a threat to their own new technologies that we saw demonstrated on us today. Fortunately, they failed." She sighed heavily, and politely refused the offer of the cigarette from Nero before continuing. "Still, you and the Captain are right that we are not just dealing with a rank and file plant in logistics or the maintenance crew chiefs. We have someone higher up in the command chain who is either directly working for them, or who may otherwise be compromised or coerced. Who do you know that has the security clearances to disable such a vital defense of the base for hours, without being challenged?"

There was something about Sayoko's response that caught Jayden off guard and even brought about a slight smile for just a moment before he brushed it aside. "I could bring up my Command Level authorization Orion gave me for being the tactical officer and Nero's XO, but that would just implicate me and probably breed distrust and accusations." Jayden thought to himself as he listened to both Nero and Sayoko's deductions. "Above myself, there's Nero, the base XO and the base commander." Jayden offered, wondering if Nero remembered his XO's Admiral granted command overrides.

Nero coughed, as he began to think who would have clearance. "Obviously there is the base commander. Then there is the Rear Admiral, though I don't know why he would want us shut down..." He trailed off. "Jayden, don't you think it is odd that a lone wolf ace was assigned to lead a squadron?" Nero asked, a worried look on his face. "If Orion has anything to do with this, he would have the entire 78th in his hands. He would have the codes, means, and authority to do all the things that happened. Send us faulty parts, have the base commander move things around, shut off defensive systems, and give away the locations of high priority R&D facilities." Nero shot up, flinching as he did. "That bastard..."

The ex-IPG operator raised an eyebrow at what Nero was suggesting of the sheer depth of the conspiracy. "Captain... are you implying that the formation of Aquila Flight itself to encompass the best Aces in the Navy... was all in order to have them eliminated in one fell swoop as a threat to the new Red aerospace supremacy?"

"It make sense dosen't it? He made me the leader, when I clearly don't have a grasp of command. Shit wouldn't get done with out Jayden. That bastard got us all in one place to take us out, then take our research." He said growing with energy.

"Well Captain, if that was his aim, then we've got even more to worry about when we reach the NSS Thanatos. 15 of those "Hell's Scythes" are to be requisitioned and acquired by Aquila Flight. Reaper, that's what they are called..." Jayden shook his head, then continued. "You do realize, encrypting our files at this point will do little to nothing for us since Orion has Flag level Access. If in fact he is the one behind this masquerade." His eyes narrowed as he began thinking to himself. "If Orion defected, I wonder how much involvement my father has had... Or worse yet, if my father is the reason he defected at all..."

Sayoko's face seemed grim at the prospects of this being true, as she considered the angles. "It does seem to fit... but we can't simply accuse someone of such a military rank of being a traitor, at the risk of us being the one court-martialed or worse, 'accidented' in some other fashion. We need to find more evidence linking Orion to all these actions with no possible doubts. How convenient for him that Fort Sentinel was glassed in that bombardment... covering up and destroying any trail that could lead back to him." This last part came out with a hint of sarcasm, as the Rear Admiral likely had it done with exactly that goal in mind.

Nero looked to his XO. "Yes it will be diffcult to hide our files for sure. Still it's not impossible. Not if we have Cipher and Lilith constantly scrambling the codes. We could also give him a faulty design." Nero said. "We can give him a small default that will cause the planes to malfunction. A problem with the powers supply that we can fix. That way we won't get screwed over by it. Just a thought." He finished, now thinking the idea sounded stupid. He grinned though. "Still, Orion hasn't heard of my little pet project." He said with a mischevious grin. "Cipher, show them the "Chimera" He said as Cipher displayed the blueprints.

"There's only one problem with that... he just commissioned the Reapers. He put me in charge of that project, and what it came to be, so he has access to the design already. If I get to the command center I might be able to hack in and replace the project folder, but that still leaves the other copies between NAM's X-Tech and AeroTech divisions." He noted Nero's mentioning of the off the radar project they'd been working on and then the design appeared on his DataJockey. "I think for now until we get a clear idea of who are enemies are, and who our allies remain to be, we need to keep Chimera off the table."

"Yes, but the Oracle has onboard ship building capablities, and I am close friends with the captian." He said smirking. "He might be an old fart, but I still trust him with my life. He wouldn't betray us."

"Captain, there is no telling if this room or even our Datajockeys are fully secure at this point. I would take our XO's wise advice and refrain from speaking any more of this new ship for now, as we know the enemy is after such things even more than our lives." This was spoken in a stern tone, as Sayoko seemed to be genuinely worried for his safety. "Nero... you have been tempting the fates all day. It's no wonder that Orion expected you to self-destruct on your own against Diomedes without even having to resort to sabotage."

Nero sighed, the wind clearly blown out of his sails. He realized that Sayoko was correct. He pulled out a small photo from his breast pocket. It was a picture of Naomi and himself. The two just finishing flight school together. "Damn it, how could I have been so foolish." He said softly placing the picture on the bed. "You're right, Ms. Sayoko. I won't tempt the fates any longer." He said. He couldn't believe that what he was doing to avenge his beloved was also damning her final wishes. He was silent for a moment. Finally he said. "I will stop being so reckless..."

Jayden sighed, he wasn't the type to give out attaboys or bolster those around him with kind words, but Nero just couldn't seem to manage to pull (and keep) himself out of the muck and the mire. "Well... if you think about it Nero, there's a silver lining to the attack. The Aquila's proved they deserve to command the skies."

The Jiyuuian glanced at him sidelong and closed her eyes. "Sorry, but I've seen too many throw away their lives being reckless." She opened them again and then focused on the photo that was so precious. "As CO you need to try to set a good example for the newer members, some of which already are showing that streak. If we have so many enemies out there, we need to work as a team to survive long enough to command those skies and next time we'll be the ones to send Phantom Flight running with their tails between their legs."

"Sayoko's right. Though I can't fault you anymore than I can fault myself for taking a missile for you. All in all, we need to make sure when we get back out there, we aren't made to look like fools once again." Jayden was already hard at work on his DataJockey, multitasking as per his normal fashion. "Nero, test the waters with Winters, but don't give him anything if you feel any hint of distrust around him." Jayden spoke with an edge of concern as he gave pointed advice to his commanding officer.

Nero looked to the pair and smiled. "It's alright Sayoko, you're right. Thanks both of you." He said as he took another long drag on his cigarette. He looked to the Jiyuuian. "I need you to call in what ever favors you have and keep tabs on Orion. Jayden, keep tabs on who works on our planes and get all the ACEs. They need to be on their respective pilots at all times. We can't let them get hit. I will go speak with Winters." He said moving to grab his things.

"Sir, the ACEs are not designed to work outside of a craft unless slotted in a terminal. Our Jockeys aren't enough to power the modules. Unless you want the ACEs offline." Jayden noted. "Lilith is currently shipless, as they are refitting the Trainer Sayoko and I arrived with."

"I am quite aware commander." He said while he threw a Navy coat over his clothing. " The ACEs will be safer in stasis until we get our new Reapers you designed. We can't let anyone get ahold of any of them." He finished turning to face him. "Wouldn't you agree?"

Sayoko nodded as if to say "You're welcome" to Nero, and then came to a full standing position, tugging the scarf she wore around her neck like the collar of a Greycoat down to reveal the lower part of her face. "Roger that, Captain. I still have some contacts with the organization despite being transferred out for this assignment, and may be able to pull a few strings to get people talking. I will compile a list of what I can find on the Rear Admiral Orion and present it for yours and the Commander's eyes only." This seemed to indicate to Jayden that their ally was feeling back to herself, as she added a warning while edging towards the exit with her new goal in mind: "There are risks inherent in attempting to gain this information, so if anyone asks about my actions please disavow them, that I am acting on my own or for the IPG's own anti-Red research on what happened today. I don't want either of you being pinned as insubordinate and hurt more than you already have as a result of this investigation."

"Understood Captain." Jayden responded as he made that a priority note on his pad. There was a certain benefit to having the ACEs up and on standby, but he acknowledged Nero's concern about trying to secure all their assets and prevent further tampering. "If anything Lt., you'll respond you were acting under my orders if you're pressed. I appreciate your concern about my well being, however having the IPGs involvement in this investigation with any part of the NSN is grounds to raise quite a few eyebrows and turn just as many heads. The NSN isn't fond of things being handled outside of their own, so let me deal with the weight of that implication if it arises." He stepped aside from the door as Sayoko moved toward it.

"No Sayoko, if anyone questions you it was my orders. Understood?" He said giving them both a look over. "I am the flight lead. I need to start acting like one and accept the consequences like one." He moved to follow them out. "Stay on alert and watch out for each other."

Lieutenant Mochizuki hesitated a moment at the door and then acquiesced to her superior's wishes. "Very well, then, Sir." It seemed Nero had taken her advice more seriously than expected, but it was for the best for Aquila Flight surviving long enough to discover the truth behind events they were caught up in. "I suppose it is better to hang together or else we shall all surely hang separately. " added Sayoko with a sense of comraderie that was not present before, as she stepped quietly into the hallways of the NSS Oracle with a healthier dose of suspicion than her earlier post-flight jaunt.

For a moment, Jayden displayed just the slightest approval at Nero's stance and perhaps a step in the right direction in him reigning himself in. "I don't intend to let anyone else hang those under my charge. That's my job." He jested, though it might have come off a touch snide. "I'll do what I can without Lilith, and in the morning we will have everything under control." He said as he followed Sayoko out just ahead of Nero.

As Nero ushered the two out of his room, he followed behind them. Careful to make sure the door was locked as he exited his room. He pulled the collar of his jacket up to try and not be noticed. a lot of good that did him. How many other sailors were limping around on a crutch and a Captain's rank on the jacket? He walked through the endless halls of the Oracle, trying to find his way to the bridge. As he rounded one of the corners, a figured crashed into Nero. Nero gasped at the pain as he looked to who had sent him sprawling.

Milo had been re-reading his transfer orders for the umpteenth time as he tried to figure out Command's thought processes. Not that he had any intent of complaining - Milo was fairly certain that he'd died several times from boredom over the last few years while serving on that never-to-sufficiently-be-damned starbase - but still.....

As he rounded a corner, Milo's train of thought came to a literal halt as he knocked back down onto his posterior. Once his vision had cleared, Milo looked over to the figure he'd had the misfortune of colliding with and two things.

The crutch laying on the floor was the first. Oh, great. I just crashed into someone fresh out of the infirmary.

The second was that Crutch-man had a jacket on. A jacket with the Captain rank. Oh, fuckberries. Fresh out of the infirmary and he outranks me. Brilliant.

With a look of sympathy on his face, Milo extended a hand to Captain Crutch. "My apologies, sir. Are you alright?"

Nero gasped in pain clutching his chest. He felt a few of his ribs crack again. 'Son of a bitch. Jayden is going to kill me.' He thought as he tried to blink the stars from his eyes. He looked up the young man who just knocked him down. He grabbed his hand and stood, righting himself. "I...I'm fine son. Where's the fire?" He tried to joke as he took a shuttering breath to hide the pain. "What's your name?" He asked.

"Lieutenant JG Milo Frost, sir. Fire-wise, well, I got my two Sterlings right here. Course, I'm going to be...unhappy should they not have an actual stove or two in the galley. I don't care how many kinds of rations there are - they've got nothing on the real deal." A brief pause, then the LT added "Do you need any assistance getting back to the infirmary, Captain-?"

"You got that right Lt." He chuckled, instantly regretting it as his chest began to hurt again. He turned again to the last question. "No, I am headed to the bridge. I need to speak with Captain Winters. Would you mind helping me get there?" He asked

"Things can't possibly be anymore interesting, then again..." Jayden thought to himself as he continued working on his DataJockey while walking down the corridor toward his shared quarters. Looking up to see Nero and another officer talking, Jayden wondered why Nero looked to be in more pain once again. "That damn fool is going to get himself barred from flying if he can't manage to recover." The ire on his facial features at Nero's disregard for his wellbeing could not be hidden this time.

"Captain, you're holding your chest once again..." said Jayden with a slight edge to his voice and a seemingly stern sense of concern for his CO. "And you are...?" He asked as he turned to Milo. Jayden raised an eyebrow at the young officer, Lieutenant or Junior Grade by the looks of him, wondering how he'd react.

"Shit" Nero thought as he saw Jayden walking up. "I'm okay Commander. I just had a little fall is all." He said throwing a look to Milo as to say. "Sorry

"LT JG Milo Frost" replied Milo (hadn't he just said that?) to the rather irate-looking newcomer. "Fine by me if we head to the bridge. I need to check in anyways with my squadron CO.....someone named Vega. You wouldn't happen to know where I can find him, would you?"

"Quite interestingly enough, it seems you've had a run in with the one and only Legendary Captain Nero Vega of Aquila Flight himself." Spoken with a slight sarcastic tone, though Nero knew Jayden meant no disrespect in his statement.

"And for a first impression with Aquila Flight's XO, I'm curious to know if not saluting your superior officers is something they taught you back where you transfered from... or if you just didn't feel the need for it." Jayden's expression relaxed some from irate to one of measuring the newcomer to Aquila Flight. "I'm Lt. Commander Jayden Solaris, your XO and tactical officer of Aquila Flight."

This day just keeps getting better and better thought Milo as he snapped up his right arm in a belated salute and, despite his best efforts, blushed slightly (though fortunately for Milo his dark skin did a pretty good job of concealing it). He followed this up with (in the most official-sounding voice he could muster up) the age-old greeting of "Lieutenant Junior Grade Milo Frost reporting for duty, sirs!" while privately wishing for an ice-cold alcoholic beverage or two. Damnation....royally screwed that up.

Nero was now quite amused. He returned the salute of Milo. "Oh man, isn't that just funny." Nero smiled as he moved his jacket to show his uniform underneath. The name plate read 'Captain Nero Vega.' "Isn't this a nice way to meet your CO" he said. He looked back to his XO. "Commander, did you know of this?" He asked.

"Logistically, this has been the worst I've ever had to keep track of. You bring a special kind of disorder and chaos with you Nero... sir." Jayden said in a slightly less-amused fashion, returning Milo's salute. "However, about an hour ago I did get notice of another addition to our flight, conveniently devoid of specifics, as per the usual. Considering half our squadron are last minute additions... I'm beginning to wonder what the hell the top brass are thinking."

"Frost, get the Captain to the bridge and then get yourself situated with the rest of the crew. I've sent you the location of our assigned rooms. I expect you'll mind yourself better the next time we meet..." Jayden said as he finished issuing information to Frost's DataJockey, then turned and headed back toward his room.

"Well, thank you Jayden... I mean Lt. Commander." said Nero, who then turned to the LT and added "Let's get going Frost. We need to go see the other Captain." With a grin, Vega looked back to Jayden, then nodded to him. "Thank you, XO. I will handle the rest of this."

As much as Milo's ego refused to admit it, the Commander had a point. "Aye sir," replied Milo as he got out his DJ after hearing the characteristic 'ping!' that signaled the information's arrival, adding "thanks for the information" as an afterthought. As he looked over the available rooms, Milo gestured down the corridor, hoping that it was in the general direction of the bow. "Shall we, sir?" As he was doing this, Milo barely managed to keep from grinning - one of the rooms with an opening had a 'Johanna' listed as the other occupant. Sweeeeet.

"Yes." He said making his way down the hall. He went on to describe all that happened up till where he blacked out. Not surprisingly, by the time Nero finished telling it, they reached the bridge. "Well would you look at that." He said as he stepped inside. The Bridge was state of the art, with techs running all over the place. He then spotted the Captain. "Excuse me Captain. Mind if I speak to you?"

"What is it Nero? Can't you see I'm trying to fly this ship?" Winters stated from his Command seat with his legs propped up and sipping some sort of beverage. "Whatever could you possibly need?"

"Hey buddy, nice to see you too. Oh and you're not flying the ship, that guy is." He said tossing a glance to the helmsman. "Seriously, I need to speak with you. We have a problem..."

"Aside from the fact that there isn't a decent bartender here on this ship that can make a Long Island iced tea worth a damn? Or how these squid techs can't fix my FTL drive in a reasonable amount of time? Or Lexi... don't get me started on her..." Winters listed before taking a nice long pull from his "Tea".

"Yes, aside from that." He walked closer to the captain's ear. "We have spies on the ship." He whispered. "Now, is that something you'll get off your butt for." He said jokingly to throw off anyone listening.

Milo, who'd been making idle conversation with the sole female member of the bridge crew, decided at this point to finally introduce himself to the captain of the NSS Oracle. "Greetings Captain, I'm Lieutenant JG Milo Frost of Aquila Flight" said Frost as he saluted (the XO's warning still fresh in his memory). His thoughts, however, were elsewhere. Spies onboard? Lovely.

Xander almost spat out his entire mouthful of liquid as he heard Nero mention spies. "Are you fucking kidding? You're kidding, I know you're joking right now, right?" He said a bit too loud. "Where did you get this information Nero?" Asked a more focused Captain Winters to Nero. "Milo, put your hand down son. Captain Nero here thinks he's a funny man."

Milo lowered the aforesaid arm, realizing how the conversation between the two captains was probably going to play out. Shit....no way in hell am I getting my ass caught in that crossfire. "Noted sir; if either of you need me, I'll be near the bridge's entryway. With that, the Lieutenant headed off in the direction of the cute ensign he'd been talking with earlier.

Nero told him everything that had happened on Fortuna, as well as the thoughts of Sayoko and Jayden. Trying to lead him to the same conclusion they had reached earlier. He looked back at him and raised an eyebrow. "That make sense Xander?" he finished, trying to point him to the conclusion Nero already knew.

"Did you hit your head real hard when you almost died out there? Or did your heart attack corrupt your brain too Nero? You can't possibly think things go all the way to the top. That's just ridiculous." Xander lowered his voice and narrowed his eyes at Nero. "Find me solid proof, otherwise I will forget this conversation ever happened. And as a favor to you old friend, I won't have you court marshalled for your accusations."

Nero sighed. "Damn it Xander. I have showed you the facts. I showed you the tampering, the manifest changes plus, who would have the codes to authorize the early warning systems being taken offline? That only can be done by...?" He said again trying to lead him into it. "I'm not trying to get you in trouble, but doesn't that seem odd to you? Plus, why would Diomides know I was there? Then there is the fact that those cargo transports got directed to the base, and onto my runway. There is no way this was all accidental." He finished

"Accidental, possibly. Coincidental, seems pretty likely to me given Fort Sentinel was still a fairly new base. Squids aren't supposed to have land bases, especially if there aren't Marines there to make sure they don't fuck everything up. The Navy belongs in space, or on the water. That's just my two cents." Winters said, obviously not buying into Nero's line of thought. "Orion's got too much invested in this to throw us all away. I do agree in the call of fowl play, but to say it's the Rear Admiral... you've definitely got a pair on you Nero."

"All right old friend, I will drop it." He said with just the 'slightest' hint of sarcasm. He lowered his voice again. "Look, I know this sounds far fetched. But for hypothetical sake, let us say I am right. Will you help me? For old times sake. And hey," He said throwing his hands out "there will be plenty of fighting..." He said with a grin.

"I'm getting too old for this shit, and the only fighting I'm going to be doing in the near future is stomping your XO out like a fucking cigarette. What's gotten into you anyway? Why are you pushing this shit so hard. I see what you say you have, but nothing specifically pins any of it on Admiral Orion." Winters turned around and huffed then swirled his glass a few times before speaking up again. "If the shit hits the fan, I'll help you out as long as it doesn't end with me or Lexi on the wrong side of a huge shit storm we can't weather. That's the best I can offer you Nero."

Nero sighed at Xander's first question. He pulled out another smoke from his pocket, though Xander remembered the smell. It was the same cigar the two shared as they parted ways. When the two left for their respective branches. He took a long drag from it then look to Winters. "Do you remember how I was after I first lost Naomi?" He asked eyes looking more sunken than normal. "I was a wreck... You know that I didn't operate well in a team. Hell I still don't. I was on my own for years doing Black Ops shit. Yet, Orion entrusts me with the best and brightest of the flyboys. Then, not a few weeks later, we are attacked." He looked up again to Xander. "You never let the lone wolf lead the pack brother. Never..." He finished as he let out another ring of smoke.

"Circumstantial Nero. Everyone knows you went at it alone because you weren't ready to lead after you lost Naomi. Hell you still aren't the way you've been acting. Orion gave you another chance to have the "family" you always wanted. He must have seen something in you, otherwise he wouldn't give you the time of day even if you offered to pay for it. Hypothetically, even if Orion did sic Diomides on you, do you know how much went into creating Fort Sentinel? Too many resources to throw away." Winters took another long pull from his alcohol, seemingly needing it. "Lone wolves die alone because they choose to, not because they can't be part of a pack."

He looked out into space, watching the stars fly by them. "Shit, when you say it like that, I sound like a total asshole." He said nonchalantly. "I am sorry buddy. I won't bother you with this again. I wouldn't want to put Lexi in harms way." He said turning to leave. "Thanks for the pep talk brother."

"We're both assholes, that's nothing new. Same old Nero, just like the old days." Xander stated, slightly amused by Nero's comments. "Your old haggard ass needs to get some rest. I still can't believe you had a heart attack in the air. You're younger than I am! Speaking of rest, I'm retiring to my room for the evening as well. Have a good night Captain Gimp." Winters said with a jab at the end, then finished his glass and walked off toward his quarters.

Meanwhile...

As he made his way back towards the entryway, Milo resumed the conversation he'd been having with the gorgeous blonde manning the Environmental station. "Sorry 'bout that brief interruption - I had to go introduce myself to the Captain. Now, where were we? My memory..." Milo chuckled, "...isn't quite what it used to be."

Ensign Reina Sharpe had seemed pleased that Milo had returned to converse with her as she had seemingly been bored out of her mind before he came along. When he excused himself, she had watched his interaction with Captain Winters and snickered lightly when the gruff Commanding Officer pretty much waived Milo off due to something said by the other Captain. "Oh? Do you even remember my name, Milo sir~?"

Milo smiled. Rule 34b in flirting: Never, ever, forget the lady's name. "How could I ever forget someone as delightful as you, Ms. Reina Sharpe?"

"Flattery will get you everywhere, Mr. Frost..." She giggled, and flashed him a cute smile. "We were talking about your new assignment, you're an Aquila now?"

"Yeah. From what I've heard, it's supposed to be some kind of 'special' flight group, though I've yet to meet anyone besides the CO" - Milo gestured in the direction of the two Captains - "and the XO. But enough about me. What's it like up here on the Bridge?"

"The Bridge... Well you've seen the Captain. He's... the Marines didn't want him anymore and well, he's not a squid either. This is his last hurrah you could say. Other than that, I just make sure everything is within normal limits. Pretty much cake." As she spoke, she made sure to move closer to Milo so she could speak freely without fear of Winters hearing her.

Awesome! thought the fighter pilot as he misinterpreted Reina's movements. With a smile, Milo said "Cake does sound good right now....is your shift ending soon? We could go see if there's something like cake in the Mess Hall.....though I'm not going to even bother guessing if it's edible or not," reinforcing that last part with a mock shudder of fear.

"I've got another couple hours here, but if you want to wait, we could check it out. I don't think they have anything resembling cake, but there might be something else just as sweet for you to eat..." She gave Milo a wink, then looked to her console only to see it needed her attention momentarily. "Just as soon as I mention the ease of things... I had to jinx myself didn't I." With her eyebrow raised she began entering commands on the console like she were playing piano, with a grace unseen by most Nepleslian helmsmen.

Milo was about to respond, then noticed Reina's focus was elsewhere. Damn....but oh well. If there's the possibility of the reward being that, two hours is nothing at all. After sending a few mental commands to his right arm, Milo began head-bobbing slightly as he listened to his favorite song through his ears. Shame I don't have any Jäger on me... thought the LT as he leaned back against the bulkhead. Then things would be perfect....

Reina turned to say something to Milo, but it seemed his attention went elsewhere as well, perhaps to kill the time. She wondered if he was going to stay there while he waited or if they'd meet up later, then as she continued monitoring her console a bit of a smirk grew on her face as her thoughts began to roam. Every now and again, she would steal a glance at him without him noticing, or so she thought anyway. Plenty of ideas swirled around in her head, causing her skin to ever so softly pinken, then redden as time passed.

Last edited:

When everyone seemed to start leaving the officers lounge Leo was quick to follow suit, looking for any reason to get away from the exchange before he managed to make an ass of himself. Striding out into the hallway a little awkwardly in the midst of his intoxication before beginning down the hallways, roaming about for a while before he eventually came upon the quarters he would be staying in; he had hoped that Edward was serious about sharing it that evening but the doubt soon faded while yielding to his own exhaustion, quite casually making his way through the door in a brief stumble with his mouth hung just partly ajar as shit faced as he was. He flopped over onto the bottom bunk like a sack of bricks and stared upwards at the ceiling. Alone for some time in that room he began to drift off while simply resting there, still fully dressed. He could feel the weight of the need press down against his eyelids while letting go of everything... Peace

Nearly about to fall asleep he would rise back to the surface of his mind as a small notable chine from his data jockey signaled for his attention; the man summoned up his reserve energy to force himself into a sitting posture against the edge, opening his cargo pocket Leo pulled it free and swipes a digit across the screen several times as he mulled through the notifications, his eyes abruptly widening as he sat there reading the encrypted message. As he finished the man felt a wave of heartache and regret, remembering once again why he was there at all. No... He didn't come here to do something like this, no... As he sat there looking over the encrypted command a few more times the man arched his frame forwards just slightly as he fought the affliction of this request. Taking a few notably sharp breaths as something changed inside the drunken Leo.

Abruptly rising to his feet the mans features visibly contorted in fury, throwing his arm forward briskly as he sends the data jokey sailing across the room towards the wall where it smashed against it with a loud series of clacks after the first impact and It's successive tumbles to the floor of the room as the distraught Knight raises his hands to his eyes, covering them and roaring before decidedly throwing himself back against the bunk; he thought he could just pretend it wasn't happening for a while, he could run away from it for tonight at least.

Please Leo thought, just let me fall asleep. I don't want to think anymore, please stop this....

Across the room on the ground was the message displayed in the open for another cursory glance before it would be deleted forever.
Code:
Agent Knight

It appears that you have managed to survive the fruits of our efforts at Fort Sentinel, how fortunate for us that you have by chance also seemed to successfully infiltrate Aquila squadron.
You now remain a higher grade asset in this exchange, soon you will receive orders to work in cooperation with others present on the NSS Oracle.
We expect and demand your full cooperation, don't forget that it was us who pulled you from the fire of your own creation at Funky City. We predict your efforts will ensure a glorious death.

Await for further instructions, the time for passive information gathering as you can see has evaporated into the crimson winds of gratifying death through battle.

Prepare yourself

-Vermillion

Funky City - Several years ago

It appeared for all intents and purposes Knight was going to end up being killed by the black syndicate as a young overly ambitious upstart who rose only briefly on his own will before getting snuffed out by the big dogs for biting off more than he could chew in the squabbles with their more well regarded peons, the ones related to the bigs by blood in specific. He sat there in that hospital bed for a few days after telling Rachel to leave his apartment, she hadn't returned for another visit since then. He already regretted it, he loved the woman so dearly and yet how could he expect her to put herself in danger just to retain their relationship. At least if she retained grace in the underworld she would be able to live instead of suffering by his side. One of his big brothers friends Jay walked through the hospital door and approached Leo in a bit of a march, a long green coat around his body and a stocky build, he spoke forth quite abruptly as Leo glances over with increasingly cold blue eyes.

"Your brother always said if something like this happened he wanted me to tell you not to do anything stupid... But it doesn't seem like that is very likely huh?"

"No... I guess it isn't" Admitted Knight considering his circumstances at that very instance while they shared the exchange.

"Look Leo.." began the grizzled veteran "I know what you must be feeling right now and believe me when I say I know that you're a proud kind of person your brother shared that disposition. But if you don't run away from this whole thing right now... You're going to die...if you don't keep one step ahead of them the only thing you're doing is killing yourself in the end. Do what your brother would have wanted, run away from this city, run from this whole fucking planet. I'll help you.... Rachel is waiting for you back at the apartment still, stop feeling sorry for yourself and make a move. The right one"

"They killed my brother... They took him from me over some two bit prissy rich little kunt of a gangster and you want me to fucking run away, you want me to go and pretend like this never happened. I rather fucking die; I rather they walk in here right now and I'll eat a bullet just so I can get the chance to spit on their mother fucking faces before I do"

Jay got much more loud all of a sudden, leaning closer and grasping Leo's jaw as he roars in his face once "THEN THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHILE THE ONLY PERSON WHO LOVES YOU IN THIS WORLD WAITS TO HEAR ABOUT IT YOU SELFISH LITTLE FUCK, YOU THINK COLLIN WOULD HAVE WANTED THIS?!"

His lip curled up in what appeared like an animal like growl before the world rumbled from his depths in a low glacial tone "I rather die like a man than run away from the people who did that, this isn't your problem so FUCK OFF, COLLIN IS DEAD"

Releasing Leo's face Jay turned and began to walk off angrily towards the exit of the room as the long green coat swirled about his frame in a slight lagging motion "You'll join him, I hope you just don't take anyone else with you.... Stupid kid"

Leo's nostrils flared with rage and right then and there the still wounded and mostly broken Leo forced himself up out of the bed shortly after his brothers best friends departure, limping towards the exit of the room he was about to go through it when a man wearing a tidy crimson dress shirt and a suit jacket smelling like some flowery sort of shit to the indiscriminate Leo barely able to stand up. The man in front of him was bald and wearing what appeared to be a strange pair of sun glasses as well, when the man spoke it sounded like a curdling hiss laced with acid.

"Oh hey there Kiddo I hear life has you down"

Knight didn't know who this man was and so the reaction was instantly venomous "Go fuck yourself"

"How rude and here I was about to offer you something your buddies couldn't no matter how many trite favors you try to reign in before the syndicate comes to clean up what's left of you"

If his arms weren't mostly broken still he would have punched this asshole square in the mouth, eyes narrowed and his posture staggered with obvious pain. Eventually relenting in a low grainy tone of voice. "Say your peace, your voice is really starting to piss me off" remarked the disgruntled criminal.

"It's simple really.. We help you get even with Seth, something you can't possibly achieve on your own short of a pointless death. And in exchange for this you owe us your life, after all... Otherwise it seems you're going to die is this not so?"

Leo appeared surprised but he didn't at all seem against the idea of such a thing, a kind of smile even gracing his lips at the thought of paying the man back before he retorted in the form of an inquiry. "Oh and who the fuck is this us you're talking about anyway?"

The mans arms were now folded neatly across his chest as the prim and precise hiss of the man continued on. "Why the reds of course; who else"

Knight realized he was going to get used in this exchange, that it was for all intents and purposes far more about the trade of firearms and weapons, dominating that illegal market over any favor to him. But what really did he have to loose at this point, he wanted his revenge more than anything, hate filled his soul. "What did you have in mind?..." In his perception he was using them as much as the other way around.

Seth's penthouse - Four days later

Seth sat about a crowded table for blackjack in the midst of his pent house, they dealt in illegal drugs and weapons consistently for credit within the game, the air reeked of smoke and sex, almost all player members of the black syndicate and well versed in the illicit trade and the danger of conducting it so intently in enemy territory. Of course they could never see what was coming, in the background of the room pleasure slaves offered erotic dances in scantily clad outfits of tattered cloth or leather corsets while others remained bound and secured against intricate suspension cuffs, collared about their throat while others even endured seemingly painful nipple clamps; narrow chains stretching between them that some of the more frisky members of the party would yank at to goad a reaction as they played with the toys their generous host provided. Some far more intently than others to say the least.

Seth glances in a cold manner back at the second most high ranking member of the syndicate within that room, taking note of the fact that he hadn't left the couch much since his arrival he spoke evenly in his gravelly tone. "Victor if you keep using that beast you can keep her..."

The man loosens his grip as he gradually pulls the slave girls head from his lap by her collar, zipping up his pants shortly thereafter in a casual manner before pushing the girl back with the end of his shoe lazily, as she fell back against her soft bottom the audible rattle of chains could be heard to couple with her soft whimper of discomfort; when he spoke he sounded almost as disturbed as Seth himself but perhaps far more easy going. "You're just saying that because you want me to come join you as you loose yet another game of Jack" The slave girl cast her head down with a slightly trembling lip at the thought of being passed around like that, not trying to make eye contact with anyone as she sat there in a demure composure apart from her otherwise unsettled pretty face trying to come to terms with her reality.

Some of the guys around the table smiled and laughed, Seth himself even grinning slightly as he retorted "Oh you fucker, come take a seat I'll play you this next hand for the whore" Victor relented afterwards with a flourish of his hands, getting up and moving over towards the table before a wash of light filled the room from outside and grew brighter and brighter as the sound of engines drew near, everyone inside turned to glance over towards the deck as now just above it hovered what appeared to be a gunship.

Only a couple seconds passed before the flood light turned to red and everyone who could tried to get up and flee at that instant. However it was to late, the auto cannon of the gunship swivels downwards and twists in a rapid flurry as cannon round after cannon round detonated in a broad sweep across the room with thunderous applause of explosions as everyone inside the penthouse was reduced to shredded corpses and pink mist plastered against the broken and flaming materials of the once executive penthouse.

The whine of the engines outside grows along with the howl of the wind now whipping freely into the gruesome stage of the top floor apartment, outside the gunships light turn off and it twists slowly around to the side before providing a loud burst of engine power that sends it tearing off into the distance. Tattered black curtains from the apartment blowing off the edge of the broken deck and flowing into the night far above the lights of the city.

Leo's complex apartment - the next morning

Rachel woke up the next morning in the bed she used to share with Leo to a bunch of screaming outside in the center of their complex, she couldn't completely make it out at first in the confusion of arriving to waking consciousness just moments before, but as soon as her head started feeling less hazy the words made abrupt sense. Leo was the one she always thought to be the lost little boy and now she was feeling lost. Brushing some of her brunette hair out of her face with a few digits slowly and tucking it behind her ear.

"...Hello?"

"Civilians Carlos Sanchez, Dwight Freeman, Marshall Johnson.... we know you're in there. Come outside right now peacefully with your hands behind your head, you're guilty of the murder of Collin Knight; if you don't cooperate we're authorized to execute"

"Oh please no.."

Rachel shuddered then quickly stood up in her night gown, walking over towards the window to peer outside only the briefest of moments from the kitchen window, she nearly second guessed her own hearing. Watching in horror at the mass of authority outside pointing weapons at the apartment not just a short distance down the way but just next to theirs as well. Several gangsters in those units of apartments clearly refused to get arrested

"How about you get fucked" "Cooperate with my dick you pigs"

Shots started to break out across that floor of the complex and without warning projectiles began to tear through the apartment, Rachel hadn't even a chance to so much as be reel in fear before one of them cut through the window in front of her evenly and projected through the front of her head at uncanny speed, liquidating her brain before grey matter laced with blood pours from the back of her head as the woman flopped against the half dirty kitchen floor in her night gown, a broadening pool of crimson appearing under her body.

Last edited:
The party cabin (aka Ed and Leo's room)

The door to the shared commandeered Aquila cabin slid open to show Edward carrying a fairly large box filled with various 'must have' items. Vids, comic books, video games and mathematical text books. He could barely see over the box as he entered the room and, as he is known for, promptly trips and spills the contents throughout the room.

"Shit! Man, I am always doing that! You'd think I would learn to walk through doorways by now," Edward said as he drew up on his knees, grabbed the box and started shoveling the contents back in.

So caught up in his cleaning he failed to notice two things. One, the obviously distraught Leo laying back on his bed covering his eyes and two, that he swept a damaged datajockey into his box.

Once thoroughly satisfied that his meager yet prized possessions were accounted for he stood, took the box to his bed and plopped it down for later. It was then he noticed the visibly upset Mr. Knight.

"Leo, Leo man are you ok? Listen it's ok, we all drink a little too much sometimes. But hey, don't you worry. You'll get some sleep, and wake up bright eyed and," Edward looked Leo over with concerned and doubtful look, "well, you'll wake up and it will be a new day."

♫ 【艦これTraditional/Folk】 母港 「studio CHANT」

Virgil and Sayoko's Quarters

Since turning in at 2200 hours almost religiously as she had promised, Sayoko's sleep upon the bottom bunk since that time had been anything but peaceful. The green-haired pilot tossed and turned many times, knocking her pillow right off the bed onto the floor along with most of the bunk's covers. Then the mumbling began, softly at first and unintelligible, but beginning to build in volume as whatever nightmare she was having continued to torment her. Eventually they became shrill screams that reverberated through the room, impossible to ignore. "Nnnng... I can't... Mifune-san... No... NOOOO!" Sayoko cried out into the night, her still shut emerald eyes rolling beneath their lids. She then grabbed at her left shoulder with a ragged, clawing motion as if trying to remove an invisible creature from there. Seemingly failing that, her hands went up and grabbed at her head with fistfuls of hair in them, as her body assumed a curled up, fetal position. "Stop it... get out of my head... GET OUT OF MY HEAD...!" the Jiyuuian implored to the darkness, obviously reliving a traumatic past experience right beneath Virgil's sleeping space as the clock nearby impassively marked time ticking past 0100.

Presently, a tuft of blonde hair dangled from above. Then a pair of deeply concerned-looking eyes. Virgil allowed himself to fall off the top bunk and land on the floor next to Sayoko's berth in a sort of arranged heap. He was sitting up next to her now, eyes fixed on her rising and falling breaths. "Miss Mochizuki?" He spoke softly, reaching a hand almost out to touch her-- but stopping short lest he disturb her further. "Is there anything I can... Well, what's the matter?"

Sayoko's breathing was indeed labored under her navy pajamas and she shivered a few times in between them. The strong woman from the air seemed so vulnerable right now, though at the mention of her name something seemed to change. The wailing abated and her eyes opened slowly, hazy and unfocused and pained. While she physically looked at Virgil where he sat, she also seemed to be looking through him at something else beyond. "Get to the last shuttle... before they devour you too..." Lt. Mochizuki ominously warned.

Virgil made a sideways face and turned his eyes upwards. Then, to the side. When he'd examined every inch of their quarters, he looked back down at Sayoko and whispered softly, "It looks like we made it into the shuttle on time, Sayoko-san."

The Jiyuuian looked relieved for a moment when he said this, then clutched her shoulder again with her hand. "At least someone made it out alive... but... the Parasite. It's in too deep. I can't... it's going to make me do something... terrible." Sayoko's other hand began to wander to the table next to the bed as she said this, beginning to finger the grip of an all-black, silenced Na-W/P-08 HAS that Virgil recognized as an IPG issued sidearm that was laying there, next to a bottle of strong sedatives.

"Better let me handle it." Virgil suggested, putting his hands across the receiver of the government-issue spook gun. His thumb slid into the grip between it and Sayoko's, a surprisingly firm intrusion for the softspoken nature of the person behind it. He took the weapon in hand, dropped the magazine a bit awkwardly and ejected the chambered cartridge. It bounced with metallic clamor a few times before skittering away. The younger pilot didn't watch it roll off, instead kept his eyes firmly on Sayoko's. He handed back the useless weapon with a soft smile, assuring her, "Looks like it's all out of ammo, now. You must be pretty tough. But maybe you shouldn't yell any more... We might have neighbors in the next room."

The still apparently dreaming Sayoko fought his intrusion briefly, frowning. "What.. what are you doing?" Then the magazine hit the floor and somehow it shocked her back to the real world fully from the dreamscape, her clouded gaze now sharp with anger and some panic as the former agent realized that someone just disarmed her gun and had placed it in her hand. But since he had his eyes on hers so strongly, she hesitated in instinctively pointing it back at him. "Wait... Virgil?"

Calm eyes blinked back at her. The smile faded, but Virgil's face remained inoffensive. "It's because of your Soul Savior, isn't it? You've died before?" He asked with curiosity bubbling beneath the current of firm helpfulness. "Or is it something else?"

Now fully aware of the situation, Sayoko turned away from him with a degree of shame. "It happened again, didn't it. Gomen." She lowered the gun, though her grip on it remained tight, and white knuckled. "A clean death would have been better than the shadow of a life I'm left with because of those... monsters." Her other free hand that was near her shoulder and neck started to slowly drop down as well, revealing what appeared to be a deep and strangely unhealed scar on her ivory-colored skin where the pajama top was skewed aside from her tossing and turning before.

Virgil frowned. He took his legs out from beneath himself and turned around to place his back against Sayoko's bed. Crossing his legs, he sighed and suggested, "If this is a regular event for you, perhaps it would be best if y' didn't sleep with a loaded gun. I mean, this sounds real un-Nepleslian of me, but you were about to blow a hole in your shoulder, there."

Sayoko looked at the weapon for a long, hard moment and placed it back on the nightstand carefully, still sitting up in her messy bunk and staring a hole in Virgil's back. "It wouldn't be the first time," she offered in a somber tone, leaving the rest of that particular story unspoken. "Something happened to me when I was attacked by a Mishhu Parasite at Tange."

"Something what?" Virgil knew that vulnerable moments like these were when stories had to be told. He couldn't say how or why he knew this, but his intuition told him that Sayoko would sleep better if she told the tired old tale again. Or maybe she wouldn't. He kept his eyes focused on the far wall and drew his knees up close to him, pressing his back harder against the bed behind him.

"A part of me doesn't always feel like 'me' anymore," she responded somewhat cryptically, yet it sounded like the closest thing to her own feelings. "The psychologists say the neurotoxins had something to do with it. I was starting to lose my mind when they cut that terrible worm off of me on the last Nep shuttle out of Hizagari spaceport before it was overrun." Sayoko pushed some unkempt looking hair out of her face. "At night, I start to remember things about that day. Bits and pieces I had forgotten. Maybe it was trauma, or something else."

"They say that the drugs our former foes used effect everyone differently, too... Aside from the intended effects, that is. Sometimes, they even change the way your brain works. Even for Nekovalkyrja, so the rumor goes." Virgil couldn't really name the 'they' in this case, but he was sure it was a medical journal or a pharmaco pamphlet for soldiers dealing with post-war tribulations. He turned around again, and slid his legs under the berth until they were up against Sayoko's footlocker. He was probably a little too close, but there was no accounting for distance in the dark. Sensing that he was much closer to her face, Virgil quieted his tone and asked as gently as possible, "Is there anything I can do for you, Miss Mochizuki? I hate to see a wingmate like this, especially someone as young as I am."

The Jiyuuian bit her lip a moment, now thinking better of discussing more of her secrets openly like this with a person she barely knew. Then suddenly the strapping young pilot was inches away from her face, with its smooth and angular Yamataian features barely able to be seen in the low light. She seemed to be a cross between surprised and nearly amused. "Lt. Canton... you need to avail yourself of the notion that you want to save me. I've already involved you too much in things that are not your burdens to bear."

"Oh, pish-posh-applesauce." He really could be effeminate at times. Sayoko could swear she felt the wind of a limp wrist flopping in the air dismissively. "If you're going to subject people to midnight screaming, you've got to let them try to help you. It's not fair that I have to listen to you suffer and then just stare at the ceiling. It's like eating in front of someone who's hungry, you just don't do it. So let's do some brainstorming on what'll help you sleep better, okay?"

It was hard for Sayoko to keep her serious, dismissive tone when Virgil was responding in such a way. He also made a very valid point, and a look of mild frustration crossed her face. "There is something that helps," she stated back to him flatly, as the green-haired young lady reached for the pill bottle that remained on the table near the bunk with a practiced motion.

"Didn't you take one of those before bed, already, though?" Virgil asked quietly, putting just a single finger on the lid of the bottle. "If you didn't, I guess it's fine. But it seems like you did and if you did then they clearly don't help. Probably make things worse. I mean, if dreaming is your problem, don't sedatives help you sleep deep enough to dream?"

Sayoko's fingers brushed against Virgil's briefly, as a battle of wills ensued over the opening of the prescription bottle's lid. "My body processes toxins faster than yours, so I need them more frequently. And I need to sleep to be combat effective in the morning." This obviously was an excuse, though, a justification for her actions. Her emerald eyes then met his questioningly, as she tugged the sedatives closer to her. "If not this method, then... what would you suggest I do?"

Virgil shrugged. He was a pilot, not a doctor. He was no expert on Jiyuuian physiology either. Crossing his arms and tossing a wave of hair from his eyes, the young pilot said quietly, "When I was a kid, my sister used to sing to me when I had bad dreams. Maybe some music? Somethin' for your mind to focus on while you're not paying attention. Maybe somethin' to hold onto, like a stuffed animal."

"Music... perhaps," replied Sayoko as she picked up the discarded pillow from the floor where it lied next to the bed and wrapped an arm around it somewhat sullenly. "I'm not sure what sleeping with a stuffed animal would do for my 'feared IPG agent' image, however tarnished it may be."

"I'm not sure what screaming out in the middle of the night would do for that same image. Besides, everybody knows Yamataian girls sleep with stuffed animals-- even if they don't really." Virgil shot back, cutting sharp eyes to meet Sayoko's. "In fact, I bet everyone here thinks you slit throats and wipe the blood off of your knife with a Yami-yami Nekorangers official T-shirt. Don't wanna be cute?" Virgil shrugged, "Don't be cute. But everybody's gonna imagine you're cute anyway. It's called ethnocentricity, or stereotyping. I'm sure you learned all about it at the 'spy academy'."

"Well now you know why I'm called 'Banshee', like the mythical ghost that wails for the dead," Sayoko quipped back. "It has followed me for ages, a haunting name for how I have drifted from place to place. Bad things tend to happen when I stay somewhere too long. Forget the stereotyping and the ethnic distrust, it's much deeper than that..." She shook her head once and then drew the pillow closer like it was going to burst into feathers. "I'm not cute, Virgil... I'm cursed. Maybe you just don't see it yet..."

"Nobody's cursed." The look that came over her wingmate's face next was one nearing disgust and pity, almost abandoning the caring nature formerly offered. "There's no such thing. And don't say you're not cute, either. Nobody made you the Arbiter of Cute, the President of Adorable, the Taisa no Kawaii. You're plenty cute. Hell, I know some guys back home that would write letters to me about a girl like you-- 'Oh man,' They'd tell me, 'Virgil, bro, I'm dating a secret agent girl with green hair. She totally speaks Yammie-go and I bet she likes all the same cartoons as me. She's super-quiet and she's a space-fighter pilot to boot. So lucky, bro.' That's what they'd say."

The space-fighter pilot was about to open her mouth again, to fire back with some other self-depreciating comment to the stubbornly optimistic and complimenting Virgil, but she just couldn't seem to do it. Nothing came out, instead there was silence, and a small blush flitted across her cheeks in what he might take as a sign of progress. Sayoko herself hadn't heard a compliment like that in years and wasn't sure how to respond.

"Not cute, she says," Virgil went on, reminding her of just how close they were with his observation, "And then blushes like a schoolgirl. Right, you're a real tough lady, alright."

Sayoko's eyebrows furrowed and she seemed to be subtly fuming at his observations. "So, are you saying that you are the Taisa no Kawaii, then?"

"President of Adorable, at least." Was the reply.

The green-haired woman studied his features a moment as he declared his office. "Why is someone like you here, in Aquila Flight, then? You're not like the other Aces... you still have your innocence about you." She almost was about to reach out for him testingly, as an ivory skinned hand twitched but she held back. "I find this intriguing and maddening at the same time, Canton-san."

"I just got lucky, I guess." Virgil replied. He shrugged and leaned over onto the bed, planting his chin on a crooked elbow. It was a little off to say the boy still had his innocence about him. He'd killed pirates in his fighter, and he'd seen his sister die pretty violently in an airbike race. A better way to describe it was that he was more accepting than most, or maybe even oblivious. Perhaps he was outright insane. For whatever reason, Virgil was raised to be nice to everyone, to stay calm in the face of adversity, and to never hurt a friend-- and so no matter how sick that made him look, he planned on sticking to that. His was a heart full of love. In a world of peace, he probably would've been a great man. As it was, he was an oddly competent pilot to the point of verging on genius-- and Nepleslia needed the best pilots it could get. "I just scored really high on all my exams, did my best flying trials, and showed up to work on time every day. I don't think I'm really Aquila Flight material, either, but I sure do wish I was as cool as everyone here and I'll work as hard as it takes to get there."

Sayoko listened to his words carefully, her attention now different than before. Instead of trying to methodically pick out his uncomfortable truths and directness to refute, she was genuinely listening to Virgil. "We all have a reason to be here," she began with a softer tone now, finally getting up the courage to extend that strong, but dainty hand the short distance it took to touch the young pilot's warm cheek with her fingertips gingerly. "I think yours is to give others like me... hope... the better world we all fight and die for. I apologize for what I said before -- its just that I almost forgot what that was like to feel appreciated by someone."

"I guess you've been hanging around a lot of crummy people, then." Virgil replied, then showed her how you're meant to really touch a person. Four long, thin fingers trailed onto her shoulder from above. At first it was a delicate touch, sensitive to the potential for startling, but in time it became a firm, reassuring grasp. Just like the grasp around the hand that'd emerged to brush his cheek. Sweet, perhaps even maudlin. Virgil's eyes seemed to gleam in the darkness and he whispered to her, "Why don't we find you something to hold onto, Mochizuki-san?"

The sensation of his touch inching onto her shoulder near where the old scar was caused Sayoko to suck in a breath for a moment, but she suppressed the startle to a degree and did not recoil from it like she normally would. For all the pain it might have generated, Virgil's touch was also soothing, reassuring. She closed her emerald eyes for a moment and mumbled, "Are you saying you want to be my... dakimakura?" This was in reference to the often lampooned 'hug pillows' for lonely Nekovalkyrja that he was probably imagining when he talked about every Yamataian girl having a stuffed animal.

"Whatever that is, sure." Virgil shrugged, but he didn't take his hands off of her. His imagining of Yamatai was closer to that of samurai and lords-- he'd probably spent less time watching shows about awesome warrior princesses and more time watching soap operas about the working of a samurai house-- and so he imagined some sort of retainer, some loyal and helpful servant who would attend to a lady. "Just tell me what to do, and stick your finger in my ear before you scream."

Sayoko could see he was confused by the reference that was lost in translation, so instead of taking the time to explain it properly, the Jiyuuian started to slowly and carefully use his grip on her to pull Virgil from his position on the edge of the bottom berth onto the bunk itself. This put him physically right next to his wingmate, only the material of both of their standard-issue navy pajamas separating his body from her feminine curves underneath. "Just... stay right here for tonight," Sayoko spoke into his ear, her request more calm than lustful, as a pair of svelte arms soon wrapped around the handsome Nepleslian pilot like he was now her replacement pillow. "I promise I won't cry out or reach for the pills if you do."

"Okay." Virgil seemed used to this, or at least somewhat prepared for it. As soon as she pulled him in, he slithered about to settle into her figure and press his body against hers almost as if she'd asked him to. He wrapped his arms around hers and closed them tightly around himself, locking himself into the roller-coaster of cuddles. "I hope I'm comfortable enough for you."

"Very," came the reply from Sayoko, as her body's earlier tension from the dream was beginning to melt away into a calm stillness. Virgil's presence so close with his arms around hers was a comforting warmth so much different than seeking a fleeting peace from the bottom of a sedative bottle. "Like Ermine fur, is it...?" she murmured in passing reference to his callsign, a bit of drowsiness in her accented voice.

"I've never actually seen an Ermine." Replied the eponymous man. "I heard they live on Vandenberg and Geshrintal, in the northern regions." Virgil didn't really know what else to say about it, for all he knew of the creature being named after one wasn't ever his idea. He brushed affectionately at Sayoko's hair, however, assuring her that his lack of knowledge was nowhere near important. Without asking permission, only with the knowledge that it was a grand sensation, the young pilot lifted the bottom of his shirt and reached around himself to do the same for Sayoko's-- so that both pilots could enjoy an indulgent band of chaste, yet warm skin-on-skin contact.

Lt. Mochizuki's viridian hair was soft through his fingertips, flowing like a mussed green river from her head that was starting to bob to the side now as the pilot's sleeplessness was catching up to her. The foreigner didn't show any signs of protest as Virgil started to slip her shirt upward, exposing a smooth, ivory colored belly beneath it that soon slipped against his own abdomen with a pleasing tingle for both of them. "Ah.. Canton-san," began Sayoko at the rush of sensation, squeezing her bunkmate noticeably tighter. Though soon after her breathing started to slow and deepen as the continued contact eased the pilot into slumber. She spoke again with a grogginess now apparent, "Thank you..."

"It's okay," He assured her as softly as he could, "I like it, too. I-if that's okay with you, of course..." Why not toss a joke in for good measure, after all they were already so close. "I could try to hate it, if that'd help you sleep."

Light murmurs and mumbles is all Virgil got in reply to his joke, as it started becoming apparent that Sayoko had now fallen completely asleep in his embrace. He had definitely accomplished his mission of getting her to relax, as the Jiyuuian's slender legs shifted slightly to intertwine with his on the bunk they were now sharing for the remainder of the night. With a sigh, Virgil shut his mouth and just bathed in the shared warmth between the two of them. He'd been wide awake by this point, and the tension of the situation sent his mind into thought. Still, his eyes darted down to Sayoko's face and he managed a soft smile in the darkness. Finally, perhaps indulgently, he craned his head over and gently gave her a kiss on the forehead-- for Virgil, this would've been what he'd wanted were the roles reversed and it seemed to feel right. Then, he closed his eyes and whispered to the deafness of Sayoko's slumber.

"Good night, Miss Mochizuki."

Last edited:
As Nero walked back to his bunk, he smiled to himself. Xander truly was his greatest friend in the entire galaxy, as corny as that sounded. To think if 'that' hadn't happened in boot camp they wouldn't have become thick as thieves...

12 years ago/ Funkycity Bootcamp: 0500 hours
In the early moring twilight, the transport plodded along, passing all the bases checkpoints. Not a soul dare to interupt the calm before the storm. They all 'knew' what was coming, they thought they did atleast. Nero was seated to the rear of the transport listening to the quiet movments of all those on board. As they made it to the drop off the driver came over the speakers. "All right everyone, welcome to your new home. Now everyone off the bus! NOW!" He yelled. Nero grabbed his bag and hopped up and off the bus. He then came face to face with the worse human being that ever exsited.

"Get your asses off that bus now! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!" Called one of their drill sergents. "Goddamn, you pukes move slower than my grandmother and she's long gone and dead in the grave! Fucking get to stepping!" Barked another sergent.

"Heh... let's get moving, these assholes think they're sumthin' special." Said Xander to the rest of the bus as he grabbed his pack and dufflebag, heading off the bus. He didn't care who heard him, it very much seemed he embodied the spirit of being young dumb and full of... shit.

As everyone filed off the bus, things only seemed to intensify more, with a total of 6 drill sergents engaging in very "in your face" direction from the get-go.

Nero moved to get off the bus as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, he tripped on his way out of the bus and landed flat on his face. "Oh no. Here comes the ridicule." He thought as he picked himself back up. As he did the taunting started.

"Oh... would you lookie here. This poor shit stain doesn't seem to know how to walk! FALL IN WITH THE REST OF THE FUCKING MAGGOTS!" Said the largest of the instructors. An eight and a half foot tall ID-SOL with salt and pepper hair and more muscles than an entire gym yanked Nero up and a couple feet forward toward the rest of the new recruits that had already fallen in. Xander looked back and snickered quietly to himself as he watched the exchange.

Nero caught himself as the massive ID-SOL threw him towards the already mustered recruits. "Well, I am really making dad prould now." He thought angrily to himself as he heard his step father's voice drilling into his head. He fell in with another man who had a huge duffle over his shoulder, who was snickering. "Great first impression." He muttered to himself. As he did all the drill instructors lined themselves up in front of the new guys.

"Alright alright, everyone shut your mouths. Welcome to Bootcamp aka the longest, most hellacious training program to grace the Star Military of Nepleslia." Called the large ID-SOL to the new recruits. "You will learn to love what we tell you to love, and hate what we tell you to hate! And by the end of things, only half of you will actually graduate and become Marines." The ID-SOL's speech seemed to carry on for almost an eternity, when in all actuality it was five maybe ten minutes.

Nero stiffled a yawn, to try and not get yelled at again. He stood as still as possible to not be picked out again. The ID-SOL finally finished and he directed them to processing. Everyone received there new clothes and were led to their bunks. Nero moved to his assigned bunk and threw his stuff down when a familiar face placed his stuff on the bunk above him. It was the one who had snickered at him earlier. Once the drill sargents left he turned and nodded to the man as he prepped his bed.

"I'll take the bottom bunk." Nero said to his new bunkmate. "I'm Nero." He said. "What's yours?"

"You're lucky, that's for sure. I've heard that ID-SOL does much worse and people end up in the infirmary on the first day." Xander chuckled lightly once again and started unpacking his things. "I'm Xander. Make sure you don't drag us all down, got it? I hope you'll bring your A game... Shit's just getting started."

Nero looked at the man an raised an eye brow. "Well fuck you too." He said as he droped his stuff on the bed. "If I were you, I would be more worried about keeping up with me." He said smirking at Xander. "By the way it is nice to meet you Xander." He finished as the massive ID-SOL came barreling. "Shut the fuck up and get some sleep maggots. You have a fun day instore tomorrow." He said as the lights shut off.

"Heh, at least you've got a pair on ya. I don't have to worry about keeping up with you, I just need to make sure I don't follow suit when you fuck up once again. Good night Princess." Xander finished as he hopped up into his bunk. "Nero, one last thing... Don't paint a target on yourself tomorrow."

'Thanks for the concern." He said as he plopped down on his bed.

Next day. PT 0800 hours

Nero and Xander were in the physical tranining portion of the days events. The ID-SOL Sgt. Volgin was barley at jog as he yelled at the new guys. "Come on you maggots. Run faster. Lets go face plant, stay off the ground." Nero ran besides Xander doing his best to keep pace and not fall behind. He huffed and puffed, but refused to give in. "Let's...go...Xander." He gasped out between breaths.

"Come on Nero... you're better than this... I hope." Xander made it a point to match Nero's pace, seeing as Nero seemed to be having a time of it. "Tell you what... "Faceplant", we get through this... I'll share some of my... good shit with you." He was a man of his word, and hoped it would give Nero what he needed. Probably the first time in Xander's life he gave two shits about another person.

Nero couldn't belive the hell he was going through. He trained with his dad sure,but didn't think it would be nearly this bad. "How about.... if we ...get through this, you ...never... call me face plant again." He said trying to quicken his pace, moving ahead towards the middle of the pack.

The trek continued for another three miles, then the broke for chow. Nero was beyond exhausted. every muscle in his body cried out for relief. He got none. He plopped down at a table and sighed. "Holy freaking shit." He said as he stretched out. watching to make sure no one was going to fuck with him. His new nickname 'Faceplant' was starting to stick.

Xander kept up with Nero, bringing himself up with the young upstart that had a harder battle now since his grand fuck up on what is largely considered "Day 0" When they stopped for break and food, he found himself walking a bit longer to make sure he didn't get any cramps or issues where as others just plopped down or dug right into their MREs. "Hey Fa... Nero, you should really try to keep moving a bit. You get too tense, you'll never make it back." As he spoke, he smacked Nero right square on his back with a bit of enthusiam. Taking a small swig of water, Xander moved to sit opposite Nero. "So, what's your story? You don't seem like the type to be here in the Marines..."

Nero hung his head. He knew he needed to take Xander's advice. He stood up and started to pace the room with him. While they walked one of the other cadets stuck his foot out in the asile. Nero tumbled to the ground in a crash. "Whoops." said the snickering cadet. "Had a little fall there faceplant?" As Nero went to stand up and give a nice 'go fuck your mother' comeback when the half ID-SOL cadet stood on his back. Nero wailed in pain as he smashed his heel into the square of his back. "You make us look bad you waste of fucking space. You should just quit now." He said as he dug in his heel.

"Hey, you overgrown piece of shit. Who the fuck do you think you are?" Xander said as he strode over to where Nero was tripped. "Genetically engineered motherfucker, you think your hot shit don't you?" Xander didn't even wait for his reply. In one swift, and equally surprising move, he lashed out with a white knuckle tight fist that landed square on the jaw of the half ID-SOL and knocked him on his ass. Unsatisfied that he only broke one knuckle with his punch, Xander pressed the attack and mounted the larger marine in training and proceeded to pound him repeatedly in the face until others pulled him off. Two broken knuckles and one fucked up half ID-SOL later, Xander and Nero would be detained for the fight.

As the others hauled Nero up he saw the cadet fucked up on the ground. Nero shook off his helpers and moved over his body. He looked the man dead in the eyes. "Did shit for brains learn his lesson?" He said as he cocked back his leg and kicked the man square in the nose. A loud crack signaled that his nose was broken, as well as the fountain of blood that sprung forth. Sgt, Volgen burst into the hall. He looked to Xander, then to Nero, and then to the cadet with the severely fucked up face. "You two little shits, in the brig NOW!!!"

The Brig 1900 hours.

Xander sat there with his head in his hands, refusing treatment for his broken knuckles. The pain was part of the memory, something he wanted to remember vividly even after his wounds healed. Looking over to his "accomplice", he tilted his head and felt his neck pop from the tension that had built up, which in turn caused a sigh to escape his mouth. "Well, we sure showed him... didn't we? Got ourselves a full 24 hours down in this shit hole, but at least we don't have to deal with that motherfucker anymore. So... when are you going to grow a pair and stop letting people push you around?" His voice held no edge, but he did seem to have a little concern for his "friend".

Nero sat on the oppiste side of Xander. He didn't make eye contact when Winters asked his question. "You asked me earlier, 'Why I joined joined the Marines." He said his voice low. "I never had a real family. I grew up on the streets as an urchin. I lived day to day never knowing where my next meal would come from. I never had anyone who was concerned about me." He said lifting his head now. "One day, while I was out begging, a man came up to me and beat me half to death." He stared Xander straight in the eye. He traced the scar down from his eyebrow to his check. "As I laid there bleeding out, a marine just so happened to walking my street that day. Master Sgt. Thaddeus Vega was a dropship pilot in the Marines. He treated my wounds and took me to a military compound and got me patched up. He then took me in as his own and raised me." He had tears welling up in his eyes now. "It was the first time that someone went out of there way to make sure I was okay. He gave me a family. Then, my new stepdad showed me the Marines. A true band of brothers who looks out for each other through thick and thin. A family..." He finished as tear fell from his face. He looked down and went silent again.

"Well, first thing we need to do is thicken that skin of yours. Because if there's one thing the Marines here won't tolerate, its someone that's too soft. I'm not going to go breaking my knuckles for you each time someone picks on you, I'll run out of knuckles much too quickly. You've got spirit, if nothing else is going for you. It's time you figure out how to make the best of who you are, and what drives you. Me... I'm here because I want to kick ass and blow shit up. In the interest of Grand Ol' Nepleslia..." Xander reached into his pocket, pulled out a bar of brownish-blackish color, and bit off a chunk then tossed it over to Nero - it was chewing tobacco. "As long as someone has my back, I'll get theirs. But when no fucks are given, I'll have none to give in return. You follow me?" He turned his head and spit, the glob landing near the corner of the cell.

He snagged the chew with one hand and put it in his lip. He wiped the tears away and looked at Xander and he smirked. "I got you." he said spiting into the same corner.

Several weeks later:

Nero and Xander's training progressed. Where Xander thrived, Nero was able to scrape by. But, once it came to calvary traning, it was Nero's turn to shine. He out preformed all of his fellow cadets. He even attracted the attention of several Navy recuriters.

Nero sat down with Xander in the mess after another round of calvary training. "What did you think of the sims today? " He asked digging into his food.

"Man... I keep telling these fuckheads my controllers were messed up but they don't listen. I can't believe they wouldn't give me another shot with different controls. There's no way I was third from the bottom. How the fuck were you able to top everyone out?" Xander looked disgusted as he spoke to Nero, then started into his food. His disgust grew when he nearly gagged on the food, the meatloaf tasted like pure unadulterated shit covered vomit. "And how the fuck do you eat this shit? Ugh..."

"First off, did you make sure to test the controls first? You can always go and calibrate them manually to fit your own preferences. I make the stick very sensitive to slight movments to increase my turning preformance." He looked to his friend. "And second you learn to eat shit when you live on the streets." He finished as he took another bit of the meatloaf. "I could always help you if you wanted."

"Nah, I'll figure this shit out. If not, my marks are plenty good just to be a grunt. As for the food, hell to the fucking no. I'm going to grab a burger. They haven't fucked one of those up yet since we've been here. Eat up buddy, have some more shit." Xander stated as he went and dumped his food on Nero's plate then headed up to get something else.

It was only a moment or two that had passed while Xander was up getting something else that a woman in a Naval Uniform entered the mess hall and approached Nero while he was shoveling food in his mouth. "Ahem... Vega, Nero?" She asked as she adjusted her glasses and looked to her volumetric display. "I was sent to retrieve you. Looks like you might end up out of this "hell" hole sooner than you ever dreamed of." The patch on her left breast read Guardenia, and by the looks of her uniform, she was an officer.

Nero jumped up as he turned to see the woman who had appeared out of no where. He quickly gagged down his food and snapped a salute. "Cadet Nero Vega ma'am." he said as he listened to the rest of what she had to say. "Have I done something wrong ma'am?" he asked, worried he was about to be kicked out..

"Do you honestly think they'd send the Navy to kick you out?" She said, noticeably unnamed by his question. "Follow me Cadet, and keep your eyes level. I'd hate to have to tell my superiors that you had an accident and are no longer of use to them." She turned about on her heels and showed there was good reason to want to look at her.

Xander had just returned as Guardenia started away, and he looked to Nero then back to her and whistled. "Hot damn Nero, I didn't know you had it in you! She's a minx too... Lucky fucker."

Guardenia stopped dead in her tracks, then turned around with an icy glare to her features. "Excuse me?" Venom seemed to drip from her words as she moved back over to Xander. Without warning she cocked her arm back and threw a solid punch right into the gut of one Xander Winters, knocking all the wind out of him, then huffed and left him crumpled over. "Move your ass Vega..." She chided.

Nero watched as his buddy doubled over from the shock. Very few had the ability to kick Xander's ass. "Y..Yes Ma'am." He said moving quickly to stay behind her without letting his gaze drop below her petite shoulders. Instead, he stared at her beautiful ashen hair.

Ensign Naomi Guardenia let Nero out of the mess hall and to an awaiting vehicle to take him to the Naval Operations center on the base for him to meet up with the Commander that took notice of his flight scores. "Sorry about your friend back there Nero, but he got what was coming to him." She said as they rode along.

He entered the awaiting transport and rode in silence. Then Ms. Guardina broke the silence. "Well Ma'am, he honestly deserved it. Just don't tell him I said that please." He said as he turned to her. Naomi's beautiful eyes drawing him in. Her bright yellow eyes were two beautiful stars. Nero couldn't help being mesmerized by them.

"Right... well, I don't think that will be a problem." She turned from him, looking out the window as the transport motored on, making sure not to allow her gaze to fall within Nero's for too long. "Well, he is kinda cute..." She thought to herself. Before long, they had reached the Ops Center and she escorted him to meet with the Commander.

"Welcome Cadet... I've been expecting you..." Commander Jasper said as he greeted Nero. "You've got some skills to you son, and we need someone like you for our Starfighter Corps. What do you say?"

Nero was shocked. "Sir, do you really think I am good enoughto be a fighter jockey? I did good in calvary training, but that dosent make a fighter pilot." He asked glancing from Naomi to the Commander.

"Son, I didn't bring you here to have you second guess my decisions. Its as simple as saying yes... or saying no..." Obviously the Commander didn't want to waste time with small talk and he hoped Nero would make the smart decision and say yes, but he was also aware that sometimes people did stupid shit for no good reason at all. Naomi however looked to Nero and subtly nodded to him, reaffirming what the Commander said about Nero's skills. "Well son? I haven't got all day!" Called Jasper, impatient as ever.

Nero subtly nodded back to Naomi and gave her a slight smile, then turned back to the Commander. "Sir, I would be honored to be a fighter jock." He said as he saluted the pair of officers.

"Alright, Ensign Guardenia will take you back along with these transfer papers and you'll return to Naval Ops at 0600 hours tomorrow morning Cadet. " Jasper saluted Nero back then finished. "You're dismissed son, don't go getting yourself fucked up before tomorrow, that's an order."

Naomi flashed Nero a bit of a smile, then turned to Jasper. "I'll have him back first thing in the morning sir."

Nero turned and followed Naomi out and the transport took them back to the Funkycity training grounds. "Thank you Ma'am. Might I catch your name?" He asked as he steped out of the transport.

"I'm Ensign Naomi Guardenia, and I'll be your handler for the next 16 hours it seems. Congratulations btw on getting picked up by the Nepleslia Star Navy. I think you'll fit in just nicely."

"Thank you Ms. Guardenia." He said smiling."Let me go and say good bye to the guy you slugged earlier." He started to walk off towards the barracks.

"You'll be here till first thing in the morning Nero, that gives you time to get your stuff together and a free night, once you hand in your transfer papers that is." She called to him. "By the way, I wouldn't mind if you called me Naomi."

"Well then, Naomi, I can't wait to see you tomorrow." He said waving as walked away. He walked into the barracks and found Xander waiting for him.

"What that hell was that all about? Some hot chick shows up and wisks you away for about an hour and you just waltz back in here like you hit the lottery?" Xander was actually less annoyed looking than he sounded. "So... what's she like Nero? Did she give it up?" He was eager for some juicy details.

"The Navy is giving me a chance to be a fighter jock. I took it. Oh, and Naomi is amazing and no she didn't." He said as he plooped down on his bed next to Xander, He started to dig for something in his bag, "I had planned on saving this for when we graduated, but know seems like a fitting time." Nero pulled an real cigar from his pack. "My step dad gave it to me." He lit it and took a long drag, coughing as he did. He then passed it off to Xander.

"Damn... I guess I didn't see that one coming." Was all Xander had to say, taking a nice long drag and exhaled slowly. "This is the real deal right here. Your dad has good taste... wow!"

"Yeah." Nero said taking another long drag and letting out a ring of smoke. Nero turned . "Not to get mushy, but I will miss ya brother."

"Eh, you're still 'Faceplant' to me buddy. Navy ain't going to change that no kinda way." He shot Nero a sly grin and puffed on the cigar once again.

Last edited:
Jo had left the small meeting of the flight crew with a lot on her mind. She needed a shower and to contact her parents. But also, this whole talk of intrigue and conspiracies...it was getting to her. She was so distracted, she didn't notice where she was going until she had gone so far, she was lost. Not just in thought but literally.

Looking around, Jo spied someone who didn't seem too busy and clearly worked on the cruiser itself. "Excuse me...could you tell me where I could find a place to call out? I am needing to try to contact my parents."

Already, her accent was starting to get stronger, but not enough yet to be noticeable to anyone else but her. Soon, though, it would be. The individual in question just simply nodded and smiled at the petite airwoman. "This way, ma'am."

Jo followed her escort through the maze. As they walked, she thought about how sabotage could occur just about anywhere. It reminded her of back home, when there was a group of kids that liked to stir trouble would do whatever they could to make life miserable for those who worked hard.

With a small shake of her head, she smiled at her escort when he showed her the booth and nodded to him in thanks before going in to make the call home.

Jayden had left Nero and the new addition Milo to their task, wondering what his room was like and if perhaps there would be some sort of meal in the near future. He rolled his shoulder and it popped rather loudly as he neared the doorway to enter his temporary quarters. "Ugh... I can't believe what all has happened in the last 24 hours..." He thought as he entered the room. With a deep breath and a look somewhere between curiosity and displeasure, he looked about and took note of the accommodations he and Miranda were sharing.

"Ah, Mr Solaris. Welcome back." came Miranda's greeting as said Lt. Commander entered the doorway, the tiny bombardier having arrived there a few minutes ago. Sitting on the bottom bunk in their shared quarters, she gave Jayden a small wave in greeting as she resumed unpacking her personal effects. A pocket gyroscope was already spinning away at its anchored position on the bunk's frame, while a tiny glass globe glittered on a corner of the room's communal worktable.

Pulling out and stashing a small black case in a niche near the front of the bunk, the ashen-haired girl moved on to storing out her spare uniforms in one of the two lockers present. "You left rather suddenly back in the Lounge, is everything all right?" Miranda inquired as she looked up from her business, recalling the rather abrupt manner of which her superiors and Miss Mochizuki had left the Lounge.

"Ah yes... Well, we have a bit of an issue, potentially a significant one." Jayden remarked as he pulled out his DataJockey. The look on his face shifted to one of slight concern. "Perhaps though, it might do some good to find out what you may... or may not know of our current situation." His golden hazel eyes looked up from his tablet to the young bombardier, reading her body language and the overall atmosphere between them.

"What do you know about the infiltration of Fort Sentinel?" Jayden asked, having pulled up her dossier while he spoke.

"Ah, right." Setting aside the stack of folded clothes, Miranda stood up and walked over to the room's doorway. With a few deft taps on the keypad, the bunk's portal slid shut with a pneumatic hiss, sealing the room from listening ears in the hallway outside. As the doorway's locks closed with a soft click, she turned back to face Solaris and met his analytical gaze head-on, golden-hazel eyes met by clear grey ones. "I have heard from Captain Vega that the Reds were mostly concerned about the "Hell's Scythe" program, and that they tried to assassinate you and Captain Vega." Unconsciously slipping into formal mannerisms again, the resident bomber pilot looked like a secretary briefing her boss on his itinerary. "Captain Vega believes that infiltrators may be on board, I have been told not to speak of it to anyone outside Aquila Flight for security reasons."

Her formal posture finally breaking, Miranda's worry came to the fore and she began to fidget, toying with a lock of her hair to distract herself. "Sir, if I may?" she asked in a rather unsure voice, glancing at the closed door every few seconds. "How bad is our current situation right now?"

Jayden listened to her recant what she knew and he was pretty much right in what she was aware of. He closed his eyes for a minute, then stepped a bit closer to her, speaking a bit lower and in a much more even tone. "We have reason to believe the situation is far beyond just Aquila Flight and the events of today. There's evidence that points clear up the chain of command reaching as high as the commander of the 78th."

Pulling out his DataJockey, Jayden pulled up a list of points that were brought up as well as what their plan of action would be. The highly encrypted file was sent to Miranda's pad for her to look over at her leisure. "Things aren't always what they seem, and worse yet, the Oracle could be compromised too." He put away his tablet and sighed lightly. "It's funny really, you know. Few have had it as hard as we have. To think that Aquila Flight has only existed twenty four hours or less. Wouldn't you agree Lt?"

A electronic beep sounded out as Miranda pulled out a standard-issue DataJockey, freshly issued to her on the journey to Fortuna. Scrolling through the displayed documents, her clear grey eyes gradually widened in shock as the sheer pervasiveness of the Red infiltration was revealed to her. She had been told about the Oracle being infiltrated before, but her blood ran cold as she got to the section detailing a suspected mole in the squadron. The idea that any one of her colleagues could be a traitor was not a comforting one, Miranda could feel a lump forming in the pit of her stomach at the revelation. How was she going to fly like this, when her wingman could gun her down without any warning?

"My god, what is this..." Miranda trailed off, oblivious to trembling in her white-knuckled hands. Mind blanking out in shock, the young pilot found that she had no answer to Jayden's question. "Sir, are you sure you should be telling me this...?" she murmured as she hesitantly met the Lt. Commander's gaze, still reeling from the gigantic bombshell flung at her.

The young Lt. Commander shook his head, beginning to question his decision in giving Bannings completely unfiltered intel regarding their situation as well as their plan of action moving forward. The one thing she could potentially gleen from his choice was his decision to trust her, something not lightly given. Tilting his head some, he looked to the visibly shaken bombardier in front of him and took a slow deep breath in and exhaled equally slowly.

Perhaps he could have been more tactful in relaying information. However, it seemed like it was much too late for that. "Well, I think it's better to have told you and given you time to prepare yourself then to withhold it and have you question my competance as your superior later when you found out for yourself. Things are starting to look like they are pretty well stacked against us." He paused for a second to consider his words, then half-heartedly offered in jest, "Welcome to Aquila Flight, I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us Miranda."

For a few seconds, Miranda stared at the Lt. Commander blankly, with a positively stupefied expression plastered on her face. Her shoulders then began to tremble imperceptibly, looking as if she was about to break down in tears.

"Pfft-" Then the laughing started.

What began as a soft giggle grew snowballed into a howling cackle as the sheer absurdity of the entire situation hit her. She had signed up to Aquila Flight, true, it was the best of the best in practically the entire NSN. Naturally they would have to deal with the hardest problems which others couldn't.

Along with all the utter bullshit that entailed.

Throwing decorum to the wind, LGJ Miranda Bannings burst out in unladylike laughter in front of her direct superior, laughing out her fears, worries and insecurities in one massive burst until only an odd peace remained. Catching her breath after nearly a full minute of catharsis, the young lady stifled her tittering and wiped a tear from her eye. "..yes, I will," she murmured, her tone regaining her usual gentle warmth as she bowed to the Commander, her posture now relaxed. "I'll be in your care then, sir." Taking a moment to rub her eyes, Miranda met Jayden's eyes with a resolute gaze, free from its previous weight. "What would you ask of me?"

"That reaction was well beyond anything I had expected, or could have prepared myself for. But then again, everyone has their own methods of coping with extreme levels of duress..."Jayden thought to himself as he watched the debacle that occured before him. It was at that moment Jayden wondered if the reason each person that was assigned to Aquila Flight was chosen not for their ability to pilot starfighters, but because they all had their own special brand of crazy that made them superior pilots.

As he looked from Miranda around the room, he noted her personal effects, thinking to take an opportunity to lighten the mood and perhaps loosen up a little bit himself. "For now, I'd like you to tell me a bit about yourself. That is, if you wouldn't mind. I noticed the globe you have, where did you get one like that?"

"Ah, this?" Miranda mused as she wandered over to the worktable, picking up the globe in question. Suspended within the shell of polished glass, an intricate replica of a top-shaped space station righted itself with its miniature gravity drive. "It's just something that I picked up from a souvenir store at home, as a keepsake of sorts." The young woman wore a gentle smile as she held the globe up towards the light, her keen eyes examining the intricacy of the little model within. "Pretty, isn't it?"

And intricate it was, an impossibly detailed reproduction of the actual Harmony Station in orbit around Deleris. Complete with tiny docking ports the size of grains of sand attached to a miniaturized refinery module, it was as if someone had pulled the station right out from the gas giant's orbit and shrunk it down. In fact, it almost seemed to be perfectly habitable, albeit only by very tiny people. Safe within the sealed vacuum within the crystalline bubble, the little orbital station rotated serenely on its axis, needle-like gravity drive keeping it upright.

Gazing at the tiny metal replica, the young woman fondly remembered the sight of the actual Harmony Station, glittering in all of its majesty in the light of the local star. Carefully setting the souvenir globe down, Miranda turned towards her fellow resident. "How about you, Mr Solaris?" she asked with an inquisitive tone, eyes alight with curiosity. "Where do you hail from, if I may ask?"

"It's quite ornate, the fabrication on something like that would have taking weeks, months even. I've never been out that way, but I'm sure at some point in time I'll end up visiting that station for one reason or another." Jayden admired the craftsmanship of the replica and how impeccably well done the piece was as a whole.

"My family has roots that extend into the very foundation of Nepleslia, but we also enjoy ties with Yamatai thanks mostly to the work my father does. Our main compound is in the Upper Haven, Roger Wilco City, Planet Nepleslia. I haven't been back there in a few years. In fact, I can't tell you that I've ever taken leave since graduating from the War College of the Imperium." As he spoke, it seemed as though he grew slightly nostalgic, though not at all eager to get back to his parents' compound.

Jayden walked over to Miranda's gyroscope and watched it for a moment before turning back to the ashen-haired bombardier. "Do you have any siblings, Ms. Bannings?"

"Siblings? No, I'm an only child." If Miranda felt anything about her lack of brothers or sisters, she didn't show it. "We're a rather small family, just Dad, Mum and me. Makes sense, station life isn't exactly good for big families." she chuckled, rubbing her head in a sheepish gesture. Remembering her little meeting with Maximilian Murray back in the corridor, she smiled softly. "...I guess the Blue Horizon crew would count as an extended family of sorts, so I'm good in that department."

Opening her mouth to probe Jayden on his hometown and family, Miranda noticed the time displayed on a nearby clock out of the corner of the eye. It was getting rather late. "My, look at the time," she piped up, drawing the Lt. Commander's attention to the clock. "I suppose we should go and get some rest, before a sergeant comes along and starts shouting at us." she joked, half-expecting one of the instructors in Basic to burst into the bunk and ordering them to shut up and sleep. Thankfully, the door remained closed as ever.

Clearing out her bed, Miranda yawned softly as she settled down to sleep, glancing back at her fellow resident. "Is there anything else, Mr Solaris?" she murmured, rubbing her eyes.

Jayden was about to respond in kind about his family when Miranda noted the time and drew his attention to it as well. "No, nothing at this time. We have a long day ahead of us it would seem, though even I have no idea what Nero has planned for us in the interim. Go ahead and get some rest, I've a couple things to finish up before I turn in as well." He offered with a half smile and pulled out his DataJockey once more. "Perhaps another time I'll talk about my sisters, or maybe not at all. No need to get all choked up for nothing."

"A new day will dawn for the Aquilas, and hopefully the start of our luck turning around too. Sleep well, Ms. Bannings." The Lt. Commander said as he silently began working on various things he needed to get finished to hopefully ensure little more would befall the Aquilas that night.

"Yes sir." Giving an informal salute, Miranda settled down for the night. He seems like an interesting person, perhaps we can talk more tomorrow, she mused, gazing at the Lt. Commander's silhouette at the bunk workspace. "Goodnight, Mr Solaris. Don't stay up too late." On that note, her eyes slid closed the world faded.

Roger Wilco City... I've always wondered what Nepleslia looked like on the surface.

Soon the bunk descended back into silence, broken only by Jayden's soft movements, the gentle whirring of the gyro and quiet breathing. and a soft, pneumatic hiss.

Nero didn't get a chance to sleep. He was too rattled. He sat down at the desk in his quarters watching and rewatching the battle footage. He finally became to angry with himself and turned off the video. He glanced at the clock and noticed that it was 0500. The others would be waking soon. He decided it would be a good idea to head back to the infirmary. As he walked inside, he was greeted by a familar face.

Early to bed and early to rise seemed the standard operating procedure for Lexi. At least that's what one would be led to believe seeing her in the medical center before 0500 hours. She, like others of Aquila Flight, had a bit too much on her mind to really enjoy a full night's rest. Unlike the members of Aquila Flight who had trouble sleeping, her reasoning was for much less serious but highly embarrassing none the less. Looking up from her console to see Captain Vega walking in, she stood up with a raised eyebrow and offered him a slightly surprised but sincere salute and greeting. "Captain Vega, it seems you still look like you've been hung out to dry. To what do I owe the pleasure this morning?"

Nero waved off Lexi's salute. "We can drop the formalities Ms. Lexi." Nero said as he walked up to her and smiled. "Would you mind if you took a look at my wounds again? I might have popped some stiches." He said wincing as he picked up his shirt to show her the blood under the bandages. He tried to smile. "Don't be too mad."

Lexi relaxed her arm and gave Nero a soft smile, until she saw his wounds hadn't been taken care of like they should have been. "Seems my father is still rubbing off on you, huh Nero? Thick as thieves and stubborn as mules. Really, you're a terrible Uncle you know that?" She said with a frown, yet her jesting tone seemed to give him some indication she wasn't completely mad at him. "Let me get a couple of things and I'll get you patched up."

She moved from Nero and walked over to get a few supplies, things to clean him up with as well as a few other choice items, then returned back to him and started to work. "You know, I'm working on getting my commission as a sensors specialist. I've been working really hard and Daddy... I mean Captain Winters has been extremely helpful." As she spoke she worked on numbing the area and removing the other ruined stitches, then started on closing him back up. "What do you think about that Nero?"

Nero watched as his niece's deft hands danced acrossed his wound. Binding him back up. "That is awesome Lexi." Nero said with a smile as he heard her talk about the commission. Nero looked at her. "You have turned into an amazing young lady Lexi. You make your daddy and uncle proud." He said as he moved a strand of hair from her eyes.

"Well someone has to keep you two in check. I mean, look at you and him. You both are a mess!" As Lexi finished up, she shook her head and laughed a little. "Weren't you two supposed to have grown up by now? I guess I should be used to this by now. You and my dad were never really ones to put more stock into your well being." Lexi smiled to Nero and gathered up her things. "Please make sure this time you don't aggravate your wounds again. I'd hate to have to lock you in one of the containment rooms for your own good."

"Yeah, well I would think you would know by now that I am a spoiled child." He smiled. "Don't worry sweet pea, I won't aggravate the injuries again. Could you grab me a cane please? I need some help walking, and the crutches aren't working." Nero said smiling as he tried to stand, but fell back down onto the bed. He quickly looked back up at her. "Don't worry, I'm okay." He said showing that the stitching was all intact.

"The crutches would work if you actually used them like you're supposed to..." She muttered under her breath as she walked away to get him a cane. "He knows I hate being called sweet pea! Ugh... I'm not a little girl anymore Nero..." When she returned, she flashed him a sweet (warning) smile and set the cane by him. "Do you need anything else? Like perhaps a light sleeping aid... Uncle Nero?"

"I'm good Lexi. Thank you." He said wrapping an arm around her and giving her a quick squeeze. He grab his new cane and his data jockey. "Cipher send out a message to all Aquila flight members. 'Meet in the Hanger by 0600 hours ship time." He said. "Then prepare to be removed from the plane. I will need to keep you safe." He finished talking to the AI.

"No problem Sir. Starting right away."
Called Cipher as he Vanished from the screen.

Nero stood, steadying himself on his new cane. Moving to leave, he flashed his niece a smile.

"What plans do you have once the Oracle meets up with the rest of the 78th? Things can't really get much worse than they are... can they?" Lexi asked, though she was prepared for Nero to dismiss her questions as a "need to know" basis was probably being observed. The concern in her eyes wasn't just for Nero, but she wouldn't admit to such.

Nero turned around and looked at Lexi. "I am not quite sure." He said softly. "The one thing I do know is that we will hunt down these damn Reds." He paused for a moment. "And Naomi will finally be able to rest in peace." He said "I won't let you or your dad get hurt by that man ever. He won't hurt anymore of my family." He finished softly

"That man being... Diomides?" Lexi asked, having heard the name only a few times from her father. "If he's still alive after all these years, and you were to have supposedly shot him down... what's to say Naomi really is dead too?" It was her logical line of thinking that made her great as both a medic as well as a being able to dabble in logistics and sensor systems. "I'm sorry... It was just a thought that popped into my head when you mentioned Diomides is back."

Nero was stunned to silence. He thought back to her final moments. Her plane going up in a firey inferno. Her sobs, as she gave her last words. "I..." He didn't know what to say. "It's...alright darlin'... I know you didn't mean anything by it. If...Naomi is alive... I hope that maybe, just maybe we can get reunited." He finished as his eyes dropped to the floor.

Lexi placed her hand softly on Nero's shoulder and lifted his chin with her other. "Stay focused, we've... I mean you've got a lot of work to do. Go take care of your crew. I'll do what I can to find out what I can. You can count on me Nero." She gave him a soft friendly peck on the cheek and left him to collect himself, having to clean up before the other nurses arrived.

Nero eyes met hers. He gave a tired smile. "You make your uncle very proud." He said turning his back to her and walked away. "Love you sweetie." He said as walked out into the hall.

"Love you too Uncle..." She said softly as he left, then focused on straightening everything up and preparing for another day that would hopefully be less exciting than the day prior.

NSS Oracle, Hangar Bay

Lt. Mochizuki was apparently the first of the Aquila Flight members to arrive in the carrier's hangar bay, the footsteps of her Navy uniform shoes making a soft echo as they trod the rows of the squadron's jets lined up there in silent repose. Maintenance crews were just waking up to have their black coffee to cover up the morning's hangovers, and had not yet begun their activities in earnest. Though ostensibly she was there early to conduct unimpeded surveillance on the status of their fightercraft, the green-haired Jiyuuian actually had woken up feeling refreshed and full of energy after the closeness she experienced in the wee hours with Virgil and was not quite sure what to do with it. It was the first real healing sleep Sayoko had experienced in ages, and the troubling thoughts that clouded her mind relating to the past were for this fleeting moment blissfully silent....much like the hangar that encompassed the cavernous room.

NSS Oracle, Pilot's Quarters - 0515 hours

Milo grumbled semicoherently as his DataJockey's alarm went off - then cursed as he smacked his head on that goddamned low ceiling for the second time in less than 8 hours. "Motherfucker!" As he silenced the aforementioned alarm, his mind caught up and the events of a few hours prior came rushing back to him - causing Milo to wince, for he'd damn near made a very uncool mistake. Oh, shit...try to avoid waking up your roommate, you idiot! As stealthily as possible, the LT changed out of his nightwear and freshened up - only to realize that he had no gorram idea where the nearest mess hall was. Maybe that map will help... thought the Nepleslian as he navigated through the 'Jockey's various menus.

..or not, damn it. The map apparently only had directions to the hangar and back. Fortunately, Milo's years in the service had left him quite prepared for such things - as he'd be damned if he had to had to suffer the monumental indignity of flying on an empty stomach. Reaching into his duffel, the fighter pilot pulled out several power bars. Granted, they looked like and tasted like shit, but they were nutritional.

As he nommed on a bar, Milo glanced at his DataJockey's date time display, did a double take, then took a second look. 0542? Fuck my life. After spending several precious minutes downing a Jäger and throwing on his uniform in a semi-presentable fashion, the LT careened out the door, dashing madly down the hallway while glancing at the aforementioned map for directions - inadvertently forgetting to wake up his still-asleep roommate in his haste to get out the door.

Last edited:
Virgil had woken up with a sort of quick snort to find the bed sadly empty once more. In truth, he'd really awakened wondering just how he'd come to be on the bottom bunk, but as memories of the night before slowly and awkwardly stamped around in his head he instead decided to feel just a little indulgent melancholy over Sayoko's abscence for just a short while before cheerily rising and stretching himself out. Once the uniform was on and the peaked cap was lowered over his beautiful little head, the handsome youngster hopped into the nearest corridor with a spring in his step and a smile on his face.

Oh, how fun it would be to carry a secret around all day. He was a 'dakamura'. Or maybe it was a 'damakure'? Perhaps a 'darukame'? Going over the characters in his head, he decided that, the last suggestion representing a lazy turtle, he'd probably stay away from Yamatai-go. And so, the human dakimakura poured a steaming mug of Navy coffee, the blackest coffee in the galaxy. Blowing steam from the top of it he emerged into the hangar to view his Quattro and praise his luck once more. Catching sight of Sayoko, Virgil decided now would be a great time to show off just how discreet he was. He decided to discreetly express just how much of a show-off he wasn't. Later, he would brag about how this proved he wasn't a braggart.

"Miss Mochizuki!" He greeted her with a wide smile and a salute of his mug, very intentionally not directly mentioning their previous intimacy. "Good morning. I trust the night has found you well?"

When Virgil came upon Sayoko, she was in the process of prowling around several of the crafts parked that had recently undergone repairs, weaving in and out of sight between the fuselages and the ailerons. Nestled upon one of her eyes was a strange optic device with a transparent green lens, a Peeper Sensor Monocle, that she apparently was using to detect any unusual energy sources or radiation in multiple wavelengths that could be a clue to tampering or sabotage. When she heard his greeting, the Jiyuuian froze a moment, as her Peeper pointed directly at him and gave her digital mind a lovely little monochromatic image of his smile and the infrared radiating out from his coffee mug held in salute.

The female pilot emerged from the rear of Virgil's Quattro, following the triangular shape of the craft with a gloved hand as she came closer. Her naval uniform hugged her slender curves, then ones that were up against his for a majority of the night. "Good morning, Canton-san. I am well, yes," Sayoko began with a neutral tone at first, then a bit softer as she delivered an apology. "Forgive me for leaving you early, I also have my duties for the safety of the flight."

Last edited:
NSS Oracle
0430 Hours

It had been a long night with sleep being less than fulfilling for the young senior officer. Instead of staying in his bunk any longer, Jayden decided to go hit the rec room and get a bit of a workout in before the day started. As quietly as possible as to not wake up Miranda, he gathered his workout clothes and slipped out the room, with the only sound heard being the mechanical hiss of the door to their quarters as the door opened, then slid shut.

Quickly hustling down the halls and corridors, Jayden had encountered surprisingly few of the night shift though he figured it was mostly because they were eagerly preparing for the arrival of the next shift. Once he found his destination, he looked around the area to note those of like mind and nodded to those that took notice to him. "Must not be many marines on this ship it seems, usually carrier rec rooms are packed out just before the changing of shifts. At least I won't have to fight over the equipment..." He thought to himself.

Having changed from his sleepwear, Jayden took some time to stretch then began his workout regiment.

0510 Hours

A much needed shower after such a grueling workout was definitely a reward for what seemed like to him a testament to his discipline and determination to keep his body in optimal shape. The Nepleslia Star Navy expected great things from their pilots, and Jayden made it a point to always give his all whenever he could. To him, it was such a waste to do anything half-assed.

As the cool water cascaded over him, he found himself more troubled than he initially had thought, trying to piece together all of the puzzle that had become the reality of the Aquilas just a day prior. Too many variables, and too much uncertainty about what was to come next. The more he thought about it, the more it frustrated him, so he decided to focus on the water beating on him in hopes of clearing his mind.

After what seemed like forever, but was really only about 5-10 minutes, Jayden made his way back to his shared quarters and noted the Aquilas needed to meet up at 0600 hours in the hangar. "I wonder what he's figured out just over night while he should have been sleeping. I swear this Captain is more stubborn than 100 mules." Miranda still hadn't awoken, so Jayden quickly threw on his duty uniform, carefully tried to wake her up, then set off for the hangar with his DataJockey, personal holographic computer, and his ACE AI module as well.

Hangar Bay

Jayden found himself rather surprised to see he was not the first one there, but it was a pleasant surprise none the less as it was still rather early. With a silent nod to both Sayoko and Virgil, Jayden approached an engineering terminal and connected Lilith then connected his computer to the terminal and brought Lilith online.

"Commander? COMMANDER!! I've missed you~" Lilith cooed excitedly and affectionately.

"I... I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I've missed you too. We have a considerable amount of work to do, and I'm going to need your help." Jayden said with a slight smile.

"Anything for you Commander." Lilith returned happily.

Last edited:
Guard Dog and Virus' Quarters

The alarm sounded at 0415 but was promptly snoozed. The grumbling mess under the sheets was awakened regardless by the incessant giggling of a holographic cartoon squirrel jumping up and down on the bed.

"He, he. Get outta bed you sleepy head. He, he. Get outta bed you sleepy head," Happy intoned. The phrase kept repeating until finally a sock launched from within the confines of the womb-like bed. The sock flew straight through Happy who let out another burst of giggles.

"I'm up. I'm up you blasted fluffy tailed roadkill," cried Edward as he spilled out of the bed onto the floor. He moaned a little at the impact but quickly decided that even the floor was comfortable at this early hour. He shifted and started to fall back asleep but was interrupted yet again. This time it was Happy sailing by in a comically small battleship as he blew the ship's whistle.

"Callate ardilla! Don't wake up Leo," Edward hissed. He peaked over to Leo but saw nothing but a bed with bunched up sheets which may or may not contain the pilot. With a heavy sigh Edward sat up and rubbed his eyes. Mornings were rough but he liked to wake up a few hours before his scheduled time. That way he can play some video games before work. It allowed him to be calm starting his day. Most men did their best thinking on the john, Edward did his on the console.

He shuffled over to his personal items box and rummages through, pulling out a controller or two and his beloved console. He shuffled further to the vid screen and hooked up the electronic with practiced ease. He wrapped his blanket around, sat on the floor and lost himself in the latest Call to Honor.

Edward reached out from his bedsheet shield and switched off the game console. He stood, stretched and shook out the tightness in his muscles and headed for a shower. After an intensely hot shower Edward proceeded to dress in his uniform.

"Happy, can you go ahead and order me my coffee? I will pick it up on my way to the hangar for our meeting," Edward asked the chipper hologram.

"Sure thing my boyo. It will be hot and ready," replied Happy. It was wildly amusing to Edward to see Happy in a Nepleslian naval uniform that looked at least 3 sizes too large. Happy was all flappy sleeves and hidden feet.

The two finished up and headed out the door. To say that a holographic cartoon squirrel drew some odd looks from the few personnel they passed was an understatement. There were giggles, chuckles, chortles and snickers. The pair stopped at the lounge, picked up the preordered coffee and strutted to the hangar bay side by side.

Hangar Bay

Edward saw that he was actually on time for a change since when he arrived he saw Virgil (what a suave guy that one is), Sayoko (she looks so haunted, yet calmer than yesterday), and Jayden (ugh, why does he always look so cranky?). He approached the group and, without further delay, ended up stumbling over a sturdy fuel line. Most amusingly was that the holographic skipping squirrel also stumbled on the line making quite the pair.

"Good morning, Pilot Bannings. Resupply has been completed and is satisfactory, the Hornet is ready for deployment."

"Noted. thank you. Good morning to you too, Help." Miranda murmured as she slipped into the Hangar Bay, giving a nod of thanks towards the armored hull the AI was ensconced in. The virtual being beeped in response as her DataJockey's display began filling up with data, depicting the state of the bomber's systems to its pilot. Having not much better to do, the Leftenant airly scrolled through the walls of text as she wandered through the facility, her peripheral vision decent enough to keep her from walking into anything.

Passing by an engineering terminal, the young lady inadvertently walked into a touching reunion between Lt. Commander and ACE AI. "Good morning, Commander;" she quipped after they were done, looking over the ace's form for any injuries still persisting from yesterday's debacle. "I trust that you are feeling better?"

It was probably a redundant question as he was obviously in fine condition, but decorum dictated that she asked. As such, she gave him a soft smile and awaited her orders for today.

Last edited:
NSS Oracle, Hangar Bay - 0559 hours

Milo - barreling down the corridor - cleared the last corner between him and the hangar's hatchway just in time to see another pilot and a chipmunk? The fuck? faceplant into the floor. Chuckling to himself (and glad to see that sprinting was no longer necessary), the Nepleslian continued on in the direction of the fallen duo and was on the verge of stepping into the hangar itself when he came to an adrupt stop - for he'd caught a glance of something that had been permanently been burned into his memories and dreams: the face of the enemy.

The face of a Nekovalkyrja.

Oh, fuck no.

Milo had half-drawn his pistols by the time his mind had caught up with the situation and pegged the hostile as a Jiyuuian - which, to the cyborg's dismay, was a friendly and thus not someone he could just go and shoot. GODFUCKINGDAMMIT! Of fucking course those shitheaded idiots would assign a frakking jumped-up worthless colonial Neko bitch to the same squadron as me!

Growling under his breath, the LT re-holstered his twin Sterlings and, after a brief delay, composed his features as best he could - then attempted to continue on over towards the others, only to find that he couldn't - for when he glanced over at the Aquilas, he saw the Talons (and her) instead.

NO! Gotta..engage...before...

A few minutes later, the Nepleslian resumed began his way on over towards the others, wearing the expression and posture typically found on someone who was extremely inebriated.

Last edited:
Sayoko returned the nod from their XO with her familiar and businesslike "Commander," tacked on for good measure. She did hold her gaze upon him though as he loaded up his ACE, wondering inwardly how Jayden had recovered so quickly from his serious injury from yesterday. He was obviously not all that he appeared to be on the surface, a gruff exterior hiding many secrets that could likely make or break the future of Aquila Flight. Unlike Captain Nero, whose worst enemy was himself, the Lt. Commander had a target on his back from other powerful sources, and the ex-IPG agent needed to be vigilant that yesterday's events did not repeat themselves.

When Edward stumbled over the fuel line in tandem with his hologram of a squirrel, she was about to give in to the urge to chuckle.... but then Sayoko's well-honed battle instincts felt a glare sent her way with baneful intent. Virgil was close enough to see the green-haired Jiyuuian's body momentarily tense, ready to dodge an attack that might come. Her emerald eyes soon locked with Milo's from a distance and warily watched the new pilot as he sauntered in drunkenly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…