• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Are "arrays" or "banks" a feasible weapon installation?

Fred

Retired Staff
When I use the term array and bank, I primarily make a reference to most post Star Trek TNG. Essentially, something much like the phaser strips we see on most Federation ships - a simple emitter plate/band through which an energy beam is "steered" by phase interference or some such principle while yielding wide fields of fire similarly to the mechanical turrets bulging from the hull of other ships.

I've been working on a starship submission and I'm trying to figure out what to put where - turret position pays a considerable role on outer hull configuration so I figured it might be a good idea to check for the possibility. I remember Wes once saying that the bladed section of a Sakura/Plumeria-class gunship was able to project energy in a similar fashion some time ago, so I felt it was worth it to gauge the community's opinion on that.

Parts of the advantage I see of them is not breaking up hull geometry too much - it makes it much easier to make a ship look aerodynamic (I've always felt that turrets spoiled that). The other thing is that thanks to the wide firing arcs they provide, they allow for fairly effective point-defense (I really wanted to avoid clouds of discoid beam weapons - I find that picture very unevocative).

That's about it. :)

Sounds correct to me.

There are weapons like the Pulse-Laser Array, used on the ELEMENTAL series of Power Armours by NAM. It's essentially lots of little lasers which can shoot and explode rockets or similar projectiles.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back