• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [Aside] Rooster Rings and Other Things

D

Dumont

Seeing how Akemi had managed to run into someone as nice as Ash and together they'd likely drawn a substantial amount of attention to him and perhaps some interest in him, the Neko decided to continue testing his luck wandering around the bar in search of more fascinating individuals that would be open to engaging him. He could always try striking up a conversation with one or more of Arccos' people if if no one in particular caught his fancy.

For the most part it seemed that Akemi was getting several strange looks in particular from the Brigadiers who worked under Arccos. Several of them actively moving away from the shirtless Neko in the process... Seemed increasingly likely that they'd be forewarned so to speak. But, they weren't the only people here... After a while of looking around at drunken locals, Akemi would find himself flanked by two people looking a bit out of place. For one, they weren't drunk. For two they were fully clothed. For three... At least one was somehow very pretty. Nearing Akemi's degree of pretty. Or at least they would be had they not fallen into the unlucky position of not being engineered to be sexy.

The tall one was the pretty one. A man... probably. He was tall, with glossy light brown hair that would probably droop down to about the middle of his back were it not tucked underneath a leather flatcap. Wearing a neat combination of rather tight trousers, and a finely embroidered waistcoat over a far too clean dress shirt with starched collar. A gold brooch showing crossed sabers under a crown pinned to his chest. For a local he was dazzling, with fine features and just an overall elegant air about him that seemed to make him sparkle in the Cockpit's combination of dust and blood.

"My dear, you seem to have dropped this and are taking attention away from the lovely ladies in the back room." He said, holding up Akemi's discarded shirt to him.

Across from him was a short woman with bandaged hands, and shaggy black hair with bangs that went down low enough to cover her eyes. Button nose, and a split lip that seemed to be from something recently impacting her face. Wearing dirty baggy breeches cut below the knee, and a loose roughspun tunic, she seemed somewhat out of place just for not seeming to have any function in the room. She wasn't drinking, wasn't working, and wasn't doing anything other than accompanying this man and making him look that much better by contrast. But somewhere under her hair she was just staring at Akemi.

The two of them were, really. One in appreciation, one in mysterious intent. Maybe Akemi just had that effect.

"If you would be so kind." The more brilliant seeming of the two said, just a tiny undercurrent of menace in his voice.

Akemi was willing to at least consider donning his shirt again, but as soon as he heard that hint of a threat in the handsome man's voice he took it as a challenge by him and to himself. He was going to make something of this situation. Whoever he was he certainly wasn't helping enhancing his request after those last few words when he had very cool clothes and a woman beside him with such a charming hairstyle. She looked like one of those moe super shy girls you'd find in a Yamataian comic. He could practically see the blush lines forming her already if he managed to bring her to the other man's defense. "Not with that attitude buster," he smirked. "Maybe I should just go back there free of charge and help better funnel the traffic?" Akemi's own tone was clearly more that of a statement than a question. To add a little spice he abruptly turned to the subdued looking female companion and barraged her with a flourish of eyebrow waggles.

The taller of the two gave a throaty little chuckle. For his looks, he had a deep and smooth voice that made it near impossible to come off as ambiguously as Akemi's mysterious drinking companion who had just left.

"Well. If you would be so kind as to draw the attention of the punters appropriately, I would surely be in your debt." He said, taking Akemi's shirt in hand and deftly folding it... Long, elegant fingers, probably manicured. Gold signet ring. "Have you met my delightful bit of rough before?"

For her part, the subdued seeming woman just raised one of her torn up looking hands, and indicated Akemi's ears with an open palm that looked a stained by something like charcoal. Seemed she was asking if her companion had missed the blatantly obvious.

He gave a little gasp, "Oh my... I doubt you have."

"Ooh!" Akemi erupted in curiosity, eyes sparkling at a level rivaling the mystery man's glamour. "Is that a signet ring? Are you a noble? I've always wanted to meet one." He turned to the less radiant of the pair, the one he'd potentially find more attractive even if both were of the fairer sex. The bandages intrigued him. It seemed everywhere he went people were already wounded, perhaps he'd broken more than hearts from a distance. "I can't say I've met you before but you're absolutely electrifying. Both of you."

"Sir Tabernacle Smithee," The Mystery man said, tipping just the brim of his cap, causing a few locks of hair to tumble down over his shoulders, "Once Knight of Her Majesty the Queen Regent Lauretta of the House Osman, Order of the Garter. Now humble purveyor of libations and... Flesh."

His eyes dipped down to take a good eyeful of Akemi as he finished his introductions, a little smile with a hint of teeth to it as he handed the folded shirt to his 'bit of rough'. She took it in both hands, getting a little black powder all over Akemi's shirt as she held it closer to herself.

"This is my Darling; Olena Sands. Reigning bareknuckle champion of the ring, and titleholder in the Women's Saber." Sir Smithee continued. "And you are? A spaceman, here to take us all to heaven and back?"

Akemi did his absolute worst to appear mortified. "Oh dear heavens! Goodness gracious me! Where are my manners?" He quickly struck an antiquated bow that might be just right for the society he'd abruptly fallen into, drawing back his right leg, placing his right arm across his chest, extending his left to the side and deeply inclining his head.

"Yes, I am indeed a mere man of the majestic moon and stars. Koga Akemi is my name. I too am but a simple purveyor of meat and drink. Would it be presumptuous of me were I to say I should hope as one peer to another you'll pardon my discourtesy and not have her slap the shit of me?"

Smithee gave just a little more oomph to his smile, taking a single loping step to move to Akemi's side and scoop an arm around the little kitty's shoulders. One far too smooth hand resting there as he led them towards the back.

"Come now, you give away your lack of breeding. Any self respecting nobleman would be offering to pay for that particular service."

"I know I most certainly would!" Akemi grinned guiltily as he shot a look at Olena while allowing himself to be led. He couldn't help but make a customary pass at her. In his mind he was only being polite. Meeting such an accomplished athlete was sensational as it did a great deal to enhance the fantasy vibe he was looking to cultivate in his dealings with the planet's people. Plus he was quite pleased that women were allowed to fight and seemingly do whatever they wanted and hold high status without needing to be born into it.

"You're right," the Neko admitted even though the man was probably only half jesting. Maybe people really would pay to fight her. "I'm not anyone special class wise, but I do have a good deal of wealth and I'm essentially as good as royalty or at least would be to some people here if I presented myself the right way. I'm working with, not for Uso." He figured it'd be good to establish proper knowledge of his standing early. Then again seeing how agreeable Smithee was maybe waiting was best as it appeared he could possibly build up to an easy acceptance of it with some small talk. "Knowing that I hope you still won't have your darling lay hands on me now or wallop me yourself even though I'd love to duel a knight."

"My dear, you're giving mixed messages." Smithee said with almost pure joy riding in the undercurrents in his voice, as Akemi found himself being swept across a balcony overlooking a garden blooming in indigo flowers, and in to the rear rooms. "You say you would pay, then say you would rather she not lay a hand upon you. Partnership with an Empress aspiring to be a goddess or no, it is prudent to remember that we are a humble people upon this world. We can sometimes have difficulty understanding the wonders you bring us."

The trio burst into a back room where numerable little false rooms were fenced off with beaded curtains, human shapes moving around inside each one indistinctly in the low light of the gaslamps. Smithee led them to what seemed to be a booth, as one would find in a restaurant. Seemed this part of the building was once part of the tavern which no longer served food. Akemi was led to sit down like a horse to water, Smithee running his hand down from the little Neko's shoulder, over his back to press Akemi down by his hip into a seat. He found himself boxed in to the corner of the booth.

Smithee beside him, stretching out to take as much of the bench as possible and draping one arm over the back of the seat to keep Akemi at the threshold of an embrace. Olena sat across from Akemi, resting her chin in her palm, her hair falling aside a little to show a bright eye staring at the alien. The eye was bruised black, but hungry and almost predatory.

"I'm afraid it's just beyond our poor and lowly Olena to... As you say 'slap the shit' out of you with merely force of will, or whatever other mysterious means you may imply."

Akemi didn't mind the former knight being so touchy feely and friendly with him. He really seemed like his kind of guy. Heck, it felt as if he could be what Akemi would were he born into the same station on the planet. Everything he saw as he was directed around only heightened his enthusiasm about the encounter. The way the place was lit was particularly pleasant to him as was the balcony view. It was all like something out of a book or a movie or a video game. The little alcoves made him feel as if he should be taking notes on design or making Smithee a franchisee. "

Well I just mean Uso's people which many are likely to think are my people overthrew everything and I imagine killed a lot of guys you'd know," he explained in a cautious voice that made it sound like he thought he might be walking a verbal tight rope. "I hope that you don't harbor any ill will towards me and you aren't just being super nice so you can try to poison me or something. For the record I wasn't even here when all the fighting happened and I've come to make this place better with our technology while turning a profit in the process." While he thought about the possibility of being set up for assassination Akemi actively made his body attempt to detect anything harmful the man might be trying to place upon him like contact poison and if Ash had secretly put some type of transmitter on his body.

"To harbor ill will is uncouth. We Osmani do try to keep our hearts filled with the spirit of charity." Smithee said simply, as underneath the table Akemi would feel the toes of the woman sitting across from him running up his leg.

"What I have lost in station in all this I have gained in perspective. The world outside our thoughts is beyond imagining, and if all the starmen are as lovely and of good wit as you are, I feel that these interesting times are well worth living through." He sounded completely earnest, somehow. Throwing a glance over towards Olena, before calling over a woman working the tables and requesting sweet tea for himself and Olena; then looking to Akemi.

"Would you like something to eat or drink? I would be the envy of the town to have hosted a visitor from beyond, and heard some tales."

"I'll have whatever you think I'd like best," Akemi answered with a sprightly tone and eager smile. "I'm so glad you're such a nice, swell guy. I really don't have any stories I feel I want to tell, not that I wouldn't want to tell you about myself. I'm simply far more interested in learning about you and Olena, and your knighthood, the nobles and the people and planet as a whole."

The entire time the space kitten listened and spoke he was thinking about the woman across him and made sure to look back at her from time to time to avoid seeming rude or too involved with her friend to engage. He also took care to share his exuberant expressions equally between the two. Part of him had been wondering for a while what Olena's deal was. He doubted that she was merely shy. Her toes down his leg definitely strengthened his suspicion. At the same time it was always possible she really was someone who was timid when it came to speech and instead communicated through action like she did now. It'd explain why she was a champion fighter, she could always let her fists or blade talk for her. The idea was immensely appealing to him. Of course another suspicion was that given the times and all the violence she'd been part of it was possible something was done to her that severely impaired or outright stole her ability to talk. Ash's face and scar naturally sprang to mind. She was a space person like him and still she had a major impediment. He'd have to ask why the bodyguard didn't get it fixed. That and how she could be alright with having her brain regularly scrubbed.

Whatever the case Akemi gave her a very agreeable look in response to her touch.

"Well, I'd be a poor host to not oblige my guest." Smithee said with a big smile, and a small sitting bow of courtesy. He turned to the serving girl and requested a third sweet tea, and a serving of something called 'greencakes'. Below the tabletop, the foot just kept going up. Olena's eye left Akemi, and looked up to the wall as if it was far more interesting for the moment.

"What would you like to know? We're positively open books for one such as yourself."

Akemi had thought about asking Olena something or speaking to Smithee about her, maybe even whispering in his ear to tease her, but he was worried he'd ruin the pleasure from the suspense of the moment. Whatever Olena's deal was he felt pretty confident he'd like her all the same. Her errant eyes and advancing foot did an amazing number on him. He was very thankful to be sitting because after enduring an act like that he didn't know if he'd be able to stand. The blackened yet shamelessly hungry eye earlier was the bee's knees and certainly this cat's meow.

"It's hard to think of where to start as I feel I could spend the whole day asking questions. Right now I'm thinking I'd like to ask you if you'd partner with me and have your fine establishment made my first investment. Like I said earlier, I run a bar, brothel and food thing, a chain of them, and figured I'd bring the same business here. I'd also like to get into food production in general. I specialize in exotic staff and goods and I've already got some aliens lined up to serve you guys." Akemi was thankful he'd already dispensed a mouthful before any of them were served. "I guess saying this all now will help make our conversation less one sided."

"Hm? You would invest in this establishment, my dear?" Smithee said, his hand drifting from the back of the seat and running down to Akemi's shoulder, a thumb gently rubbing the neko's neck in combination with the efforts from Olena. "Why, I'd be greatly indebted to you for such charity. Although I wouldn't wish to put you out of pocket for such a meagre establishment."

Across the table, Olena actually swept back her bangs with a smile, revealing that she probably kept her hair that way just to cover her eyes. While the left was bruised, the right was nearly swollen shut, with a hefty gash on her brow that had been stitched up not too long ago. Fingers running through her shaggy hair to keep it back, she cradled her head against her hand to keep her hair back as she feigned interest in the servering staff across the room.

All the hand and leg movements were really starting to make Akemi wonder what to do with himself. For the time being he decided to play it safe and simply rest his palms down on the table in front of him. "Well I have to start somewhere. I was thinking you'd be a franchisee. My company has an awful boring name though, it's just Akemi's. It stems from me wanting to take on the same market as another company named after an empire of people called Nepleslians named Neppie's. You aren't secretly owing a zillion of whatever the native currency is are you?"

Akemi wasn't the least bit putt off by the gash or bruising. He wouldn't have minded if Olena's mouth had been entirely devoid of teeth. He might have even preferred that be the case for the shock value. Such things were simply opportunities for him to ingratiate himself by offering remedies once impossible to acquire.

"Would you be taking all the naming glory, or could I keep my own flair on it?" Smithee said, his hand moving so he could run his fingertips along Akemi's delicate jawline. All the while he didn't even lay an eye on the little Neko. He remained with his eyes plastered upwards as though he were deep in thought and this were all incidental tics that he couldn't control.

"I think Akemi's Cockpit could work." He said, as Olena actually gave the first indication of sound in a short, somewhat nasal laugh.

"Oh I was thinking of clarifying that," Akemi replied, not at all evasive towards the touch. In fact he even began to purr. If Smithee's unintentional quip got her hopefully this would really get Olena going. "You can keep calling it whatever you want but we'd stick my name in there somewhere like on top or in front or beneath your name if we put the two together on a sign. I don't want to take anything away from the reputation that's already been built up. Good, bad or just unusual it's yours to keep."

Speaking of cockpits, the way things were going the Neko was beginning to wonder if his was going to be breached. He had no objections to at least one half of the highly likely to be coordinated attack on his person. Did someone prepare them for him or was this just what they did when they liked someone? Did every starman get this luxurious treatment? Akemi really hoped they both genuinely did and Olena wasn't simply doing whatever the former knight wanted. He also worried the pair might be some super con artist duo.

"The Cockpit has been an institution in this city's academic circles for near thirty years now. It would truly be a shame to see it lose its sense of history, and its place in the heart of the people of this city..." Smithee said, his hand continuing its upward rise. Tilting Akemi's chin up as he moved to peer down on the little starman who had wandered in to his den. In fact both seemed to be slowly turning their attentions almost predatorially on him, lifting the pretense that anything else was more interesting...

And then just as it looked like Smithee was about to pounce, and Olena's toes found their mark there was a clack on the table as the server put down a platter of tea and whatever greencakes were. They both almost sprang to a full sitting position, as Olena said her first words.

"Oh. Tea's here..." She sounded perfectly normal, a mid-range and almost boring voice with just a hint of the posh Osmani accent, as though she'd spent a long time around Smithee. She did maybe seem a little out of breath.

Akemi decided he still didn't want to comment on the antics of his guests. They had stopped right as they were really getting great and he didn't want to kill any chances of them starting up again. "I can't wait to try it!" the space kitten exclaimed as he took one small step for a Neko and one giant leap for his palate. He briefly looked over his food and drink and then had a little sample of each.

"So I've got to ask since it's only polite, how did this place get its name? Give me all you're willing to share. I love the look and feel and I wouldn't want to change anything and if there were any alterations I'd want to leave them up to you."

"It's a famous cockfighting venue, of course. The Royal University is nearby, and many a young student has taken to Cocking to try and make a few extra coins from time to time. I only recently acquired it in a bet, but I believe I'm doing quite well for myself so far." Smithee swept his arm around, indicating the den of iniquity of his own making.

The tea was predictably quite green like everything else on this sandball. But a single sip found Akemi tasting a rather pleasant, earthy flavor which in the throat seemed to transform into a light and tart fruity taste that wafted up to the nose. Not at all unpleasant as far as local quisine went, considering everything tended to taste like sand and slime. The greencakes did live up to their name, but seemed to be something like a scone, topped with fresh cream and some berries. The actual pastry was rather dense, but had just a little fragrance to it. The berries were just the cherry on top, and seemed to give off the same pleasant tartness as the tea did, probably indicating some interrelation of ingredients.

"This all tastes really good! It definitely competes with what's up above." Akemi purred once more and had another nibble for emphasis. "I guess it was a silly question, it's just that when I think of cockpits I'm thinking of the place you sit in in a flying machine. I was wondering if somehow it was named after ancient technology from the first settlers. That'd often be the case in a book. To me everything is like a fantasy land, even the people I'm working with as some of them are nearly as alien to me as they are to you."

"Your flying machines all have cockpits?" Olena asked, clearly amused, "Do you fight birds in them, or is it something to do with the other kind of pit?"

"Well a cockpit would be where the operator sits and I guess we use the term as that's where the action takes place," Akemi reasoned. He may have had a digital brain capable of storing an unimaginable amount of information, at least to these people, but that didn't mean he boned up on everything. "I'm glad you're getting some fun out of this. We also use the word the same way you do, we just added another meaning. We've got machines that don't require anyone to operate them so yes, some don't have cockpits."

As Akemi's failed opportunity for a joystick pun flew entirely over the heads of these two, they sipped their tea. Olena stole a berry from Akemi's plate and popped it in her mouth.

"It's all quite fascinating, my dear little Starman." Smithee said, just watching Akemi's lips as he spoke. "Have you any more questions for us?"

"A billion, but before I ask any I just gotta say I'm super glad you can speak normally," Akemi replied looking straight at Olena, "and you look perfectly fine minus the day to day marks of your industrious practice of your occupation which are actually charming to me. Everything has been charming to me lately. I want you to know if they bother you at all I can easily get them completely fixed up fast free of charge. I can handle any injuries no matter how long ago you got them and I can fix whatever you might think of as a flaw. You're both beautiful as is though."

The two looked to one another with a little smile, before Smithee held one hand across the table to take Olena's in his own. His other hand left his cup of tea, to return to Akemi's chin.

"My dear, you've already seduced us. No need to be such a flatterer." Smithee said, as Olena moved her free hand over to take Akemi's.

Akemi, feeling he had absolutely no reason to object, quickly took Olena's hand in his own and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Well how'd I do that exactly?" he asked with a serious sense of urgency in his voice, this time looking right into Smithee's peepers. "I don't want to ruin what we've got going here but all I did was act nice. I'm kinda worried you two are con artists who are trying to take advantage of a little innocent starman tourist like myself by being super nice to get free stuff instead of directly asking for it. I mean I don't want to imply anything but you're just so nice! This feels too good to be true! Do you simply want to ravish me based on my looks and demeanor alone as much I want to ravish your buddy over here?" The Neko worried he might upset two perfectly honest and well intentioned people but he had to ask. It wasn't every day that he'd meet two who could be as direct, easygoing and easily pleased as himself. He figured if they truly were as wonderful as they seemed to be they'd be able to take what he said in good stride, especially when he gave them an easy out and something to laugh at that was also a compliment.

The two sniggered, exchanging a significant glance.

"Of course we're conmen." Olena said, quite frankly. Giving Akemi's hand a little squeeze of reassurance for a completely different sentence.

"But I do rather want to ravish you based on your looks and demeanor alone." Smithee assured, returning his hand to his teacup. "And I feel Olena does as well. We can even give you a rose if you want to make the tryst 'nobility official'."

"Well what makes you conmen?" Akemi asked, the urgency remaining. "Are you guys really what you said you were? Do you actually own this place? Also, yeah, the rose would be nice."

"I can show you the deed with my name on it, if that would reassure you, love." Smithee said calmly, sipping his tea.

"Just because we're not conning you doesn't mean we don't pull one over on someone." Olena added, taking her hand back and snatching away one of the Greencakes from Akemi's plate.

"At the same time, there are hundreds of people on this world just waiting to pounce to get an in with your people." The knight turned to face Akemi again, resting his chin on a lightly clenched fist, "We found an opportunity and seized it. We're just being more honest about the role... Well, the role that the baser things play in this."

"Well that's a relief." They now seemed even more like Akemi's kind of people. "I didn't think I was going to be able to say no to you regardless of the answer after Olena's fantastic foot finesse. I guess what you learn in the ring carries over in unexpected ways." He paused and gave her a glance just to see if she'd get anything out of him making it seem like she might have gotten farther than she did. "Seriously though, is there anything I can fix for you? If you've got eye problems or know someone who does I could correct them."

"I was punched in the face." Olena says as if it was quite obvious. "If you can make the swelling go down, I would like it, but most of you starmen charge quite dearly."

"Well I don't have anything on hand," Akemi confessed, wishing he'd bothered to carry a bunch of medical supplies with him, "but I wasn't conning you when I said I'd help you guys for free. I mean goodwill and a little entirely mutually enjoyed ravishing is all I need as payment. I'll charge an arm and a leg to the people I really don't like. Also, you guys calling me starman sounds absolutely adorable to me so that's payment right there."

"In that case, a toast." Smithee said cheerily, his voice booming across the back room of the tavern. Heads poked out from behind curtains, and those simply watching or enjoying their own meals turned to raise their glasses.

"As of today, my friends: Things are going to get better for us all." A few raised their glasses, others leerily just watch. "Drink to life, all of you if you would. Because the drinks are about to get better."

Collectively, the room drank a toast to not having to drink slimy sand anymore. For better or worse. The next morning Akemi would awake to find a glass rose resting on his chest.

Hopefully the bruising would heal soon...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back