• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP [Blackguard Side Story] Pulling On Your Tail

Arbitrated

The Smollest Smol
🦊 FM of Neshaten
RP Date
YE 46
RP Location
On board the NSS Big Deal
NSS Big Deal
Medbay

Haisely the resident cyberkat tossed and turned in her sleep, her new cybernetics had given her a massive power boost but there was still some weird glitches and it was doing her head in. The hacker had already spoken to Galactic Horizon about it and been told she was free to try modifying it herself yet still there seemed to be some kind of issue with her new tail. With no other options in the dead of night she decided to go for a walk, stealthing past her roommate to avoid an annoying lecture or discussion in general, and headed for the medbay.

"Surely there won't be anyone around at this time, just need to find something to knock me out." She murmured before walking through the doors.

It seemed, unfortunately for Haisley, that she hadn't gone entirely unnoticed. In the second cabinet of her hunt, the cat heard the door open behind her, and a soft call,

"Haisley?" It was the angelic demolitionist-turned-medic, Quilly, and she still sounded half-asleep as she scoured the medical bay for the local cat.

Haisely stiffened up before sighing, "No, I'm the gingerbread girl." She shot back, closing the cabinet and standing up with her arms crossed coming into view. Moving towards the door to address their recently career changed elysian, the nature of whom was not lost on Haisely who gave Quilly's wings a sideways glance before staring at the floor instead.

"You gonna rat me out or something?"

The bird chuckled. "Mathias already did. What are you lookin' for, anyways? I doubt anyone's gonna get pissed anyways, unless you actually try smugglin' the stuff." The medic seemed all but formal with her crumpled PJs and messy hair, but her words told Haisley what to do well enough - don't make this an issue.

"New mods got'chya shaky, right? This spider's not perfect but I'm hoping some of my own research on the matter might keep the itching from gettin' too bad," Quilly added on with a scratch on her scalp. "I getchya there."

For the second time in as many minutes, Haisely stiffened up again. "How did you know I had new mods... No one was supposed to know about that yet." The cyberkat's gaze shifted back up to the elysians face, not mad per say but almost accusing. Instinctively she shifted into a slightly lower stance, still as flighty as ever despite how logical it would be for a medic to have medical records.

Quilly hesitated for a moment, and then stepped forward just enough to slide the door closed behind her. The medical menace took a deep breath in, like she was about to tear Haisley's spider out with the scolding of a lifetime, and laughed. Quilly spent a good half-minute making some sort of joke about the cat before she managed to calm down enough to speak coherently,

"What, who do you think installed your bits, Hays? They wanted you ready in eight hours and the higher ups wanted my final exam to be somethin' extra shiny, so there you were on my table!" The bird broke up her speech with frequent chuckles as she bent over a bit, her body complaining about the sudden exertion so quickly after being woken up.

"You've got some good stuff, don' worry - I got a few points docked for taking too long but still got an A~"

"Well, fuck. Wish I'd known that 5 minutes ago" Haisely sighed defeatedly before slumping into a chair with her tail starting to twitch weirdly again, eliciting something close to a growl.

"They weren't cheap to get from GH, so it better not be your fault there's an issue."

"Hope not! Uhhh, what's going on anyways, though? You haven't actually said."

"Its my fucking tail, it's supposed to operate independently when I'm not actively using it, but its movements are all wrong, keeps behaving like I'm running." Haisely grabbed it and tapped the end a few times.

The nepleslian began eyeing off the wings on Quilly once again and shook her head slightly. "So, were those wings worth it?"

"Hmm? Worth it?" One speckled limb fluttered distractingly as its fatigued owner considered what Haisly was talking about. "They're worth more than eleven thousand KS if that's what'chya mean. If that guy just wants 'em as some fucked up trophy he ain't looking in the right place."

"As for your tail, it's probably a bad sensor near the base. The way it was set up, seems like each joint in your tail tries to, uh, listen to the ones next to it? And if one is getting a bad signal, the whole thing goes... Wacky,"
Quilly flopped her arm around wildly to demonstrate.

Haisely blinked slowly, completely missing whatever Quilly had said about her tail.

"Are they not, mods?"

"Nnnnnno? Yeah, no, all natural. Actually, it's kinda a problem, Elysians can't really get mods or cyberntics long-term." The medic tilted her head to the side, like a curious animal looking at Haisley - though her eyes were clearly focused elsewhere. "Which is why my brain spider is such a curiosity - typical rejection symptoms start in approximately two months, so I have that long to crack the code before our higher-ups will likely get very, very tired to putting a new one in four times a year."

The cyberkat's face was twisted into a look of confusion as she tried to fathom what the medic had just told her, not mods? That was crazy. On autopilot she reached out a hand towards the feathered appendages before snapping to her senses and stuffing it in a pocket.

"So, its a synthetic body then right? You had it grown with wings?" Haisely was still very hungup on the wings and not listening to anything else.

"Well, technically yes, but not in the way you think," the Caelisolan responded, eyes narrowing - internally, she was wondering what sort of weird, backwater place Haisley had grown up in. "That technicality doesn't matter that much. If it was just mods, don'chya think that people wouldn't care? But they really like bringing it up."

"Everything you see is what I was born with - just with a bit of optimization. I would've been even shorter without it!"

"So, Elysians isn't just the name of a group of people who like to give themselves wing mods... Huh..." Haisely mulled over this with a furrowed brow, while her upbringing may not have been quite the same 'backwater' as what Quilly imagined she missed a lot of school, and social events, and friendships... And apparently what Elysians are.

The cyberkat hopped up onto a nearby bench with her knees tucked up to her head, tail flicking and eyes locked onto the medic with a piercing stare, the golden irises shifting to greens and blues as she studied this winged creature properly, committing details to memory for later analysis.

"Nice to be born with something useful?" The question was posed genuinely, Haisely's usual sarcasm taking a backseat to a quieter more serious voice.

"It kinda was!" Quilly responded, elaborating, "I couldn't fly until I was about oh, twelve or so, but these badboys are an excellent blanket. Plus once I was old enough to get a bit of work in, people would flock - pun intended, by the way - towards 'em. Made a good keep on tips alone, and a lil' extra if someone thought they were sly..." the bird chuckled, enjoying that trip to her past.

"Can't say it's all sunshine and rainbows, though. Protecting them with armor's a real bitch, adds a lot of weight and kills my flexibility. And they're a bit high maintenance with all the preening and oils to keep them in good shape. It's not exactly a trip to the barber!"

Haisely listened intently, her curiosity for this strange winged creature keeping the cyberkat focused for once, on another person. Using feathers as a blanket sounded, really weird and uncomfortable but maybe if you're born with them it's different? "I mean, are you surrounding them with armour? Why not just get a larger torso and keep them folded, saves on weight and it's not like anyone flaps wings to fly these days."

Quilly looked almost hurt at that last comment. "Not everybody can control gravity with their mind like Masato does..." She said bashfully.

If they seriously designed armour for their wings to remain extended or separated from the torso no wonder it sucked wearing it, the hacker thought it was bad enough she had to modify the inside of her own suits for the new tail and that was nothing compared to the great big feathered appendages Quilly had.

"Also, are you trying to tell me people paid you to touch them?"

"Paid? Not quite, but it did cost them to touch my wings. It's pretty rude to do so without asking, not to mention how much it messes with my feathers."

"Right... And I meant if you're already wearing armour just make sure it has a flight system, or if you're talking about a more standard BP or Flak Jack then I guess just don't let em get hit, you don't store any vital organs in them right?" Haisely made a mental note to ask Masato if he could also apply gravitation effects to external objects, she'd heard bits and pieces about the Nekos and Minkans but had little to do with them, this was intriguing news.

"Thankfully, no. It's muscle, blood, and bone all the way through. All my vitals are right in this area," the medic gestured across her torso jokingly. "At least the anatomy books say so!"

Haisely's thoughts were interrupted as her tail suddenly smacked into the counter top with an echoing thud, the hacker shot it a look that screamed 'why are you like this' before sighing and mentally switching off the implant letting it fall limply beside her.

"How good are you with microelectronics Quilly, I... I think I need help with this." The nepleslian looked away with a pained expression, she'd already exhausted her own abilities long before trying to sneak in and find sleeping pills, and there was nothing she hated more than needing someone else to fix her problems.

The Elysian looked at the cat before having an internal "oh, right" moment, visualized conveniently with a twitch of her speckled wings.

"That's not really in my expertise unfortunately - I know how your tail is set up because someone explained it to me before I installed it, but I don't know.... How," At this point, Quilly was trying to act out something with her hands, almost pulling something apart, "Hhhhow it actually works. So if it's really that sensor, or maybe an error with the programming, you might need to ask Molo for help."

The pajama'd bird yawned, then added, "But maybe do that tomorrow and not right now, because she's probably asleep. You should be too, ya know... Book says you need six hours minimum an' all that." The way Quilly said it made it clear she barely cared about the book as a measurement of authority.

Haisely paused, looking into the distance as she thought for a moment, figures the person to catch her wouldn't be of any use, although.

The cyberkat locked eyes with the tired Elysian, "I want you to remove it then, I'll fix it myself."

Quilly paused, trying to figure out if the cat was serious about her goals. She also took a look at Haisley's behavior, checking again to see if the hacker was, in fact, drunk. It seemed like she wasn't.

"I'm willing to help you, but not tonight. Mathias, if you would please, shedule an operation on Haisley's record for Gun Day? Cybernetic augmentation surgery."

The patient in question had a look of defeat cross her features for a momentbefore hopping down from her perch, tail swinging lifelessly behind her. While she would prefer to get it fixed yesterday, Haisely could hardly remove it herself if she ever wanted to be able to reattach it later.

"So, what's it gonna cost."

The Elysian chuckled, her eyes suddenly focusing onto Haisley with a frightening level of precision. Her next words were terrifying:

"Gimme your dessert for the next three days and I'll do it."

The hacker raised an eyebrow, certainly the strangest form of payment she'd been asked of for a favour but hardly the worst. "Done." Haisely was sure they were allowed more than one serving if they really wanted but, at least it wasn't something gross like the gangs she had to make deals with.

Quilly put out a hand for Haisley to shake, grinning like a kid. Despite the shine in her eyes, it seemed the Elysian was still itching to get back into bed before too long.

"Pleasure doing business with ya! And be sure to get some sleep tonight, still, alrighty?"

Haisely hesitantly shook the medic's hand and shook her head, a smirk finally returning to the usually sarcastic hacker's face. "I'll sleep when I'm dead, and I don't plan on that happening for a while."

Hiasely moved past the Elysian, slinking back into the quiet of the ship and disappearing into the night to roam the halls a while longer, these bird people really were a strange lot.

Quilly just smirked back as the cat disappeared down the manway, closing up the medical bay now that it was no longer in use. What thoughts hid behind her eyes were unreadable as she went back to her own bed - and summarily went back to sleep, out like a light.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back