Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Bounty Hunts [Bounty Hunts] Prologue - Meet the Hunters

"Augh!" Dimitri felt his head get knocked badly against the filing cabinet, almost causing the cabinet to fall into the floor. When that was over, and his headache was gone, he inspected himself; the adrenaline rush might've been enough for him to ignore the pain of a major injury.

Only scratches and a couple of flesh wounds. Not bad. Half of the table was on him, though. Splintered and all.

Dimitri slowly got up after the blast, holding his head and wondering where the hell the gun he had been holding was until he heard the violent breaking of patchwork. He instinctively crouched and then heard the gunshots.

Right. The shootout at the open earlier hadn't just started for the hell of it. There were other people looking for the girl. Hopefully they weren't local police force... that would suck. If they were other bounty hunters, that'd be extremely convenient. The girl was free game, if that were the case.

"--hey! Get the hell away from the girl! She's mine!" In an instant Dimitri found the gun he had dropped, dashed forward and came to the doorway, and aimed the gun.

The big, dust-ridden guy that had clearly just burst through the wall and the other guy were busy. Good.

Dimitri made a run for the girl, gun aimed at the two fighters, and grabbed the chair she was strapped to with his other arm and jerked the thing around and attempted to drag the girl out of the room.

When the man returned fire, Atverm was just barely able to jump to the left and roll behind a nearby wooden desk. Though that didn't prevent a few bullets from hitting his torso. But luckily his body armor protected him for the most part and he only suffered from a few minor flesh woulds. But damn did it still hurt.

The bounty hunter from outside the door had also charge in and was in the process of shooting everything in sight. Even worse he was here for the girl and didn't seem to have a problem shooting him to get to her.

"I'm with the police! Put the girl down, shoot the other guy and I might not have you thrown behind bars!" Atverm shouted from behind his cover.

The mercenary finished his clip and reloaded when he noticed his prisoner was being dragged away. If she gets taken then all this would be pointless! he thought as he fired two shots at Atverm as cover fire, then ran toward the girl taking a quick shot at the girl's chair and rolled forward.

His gunshot hit right on the rope holding her on the chair, causing her to fall forward and faceplant the floor. Meanwhile Greg grabbed his shotgun mid roll with his free hand and spun in place while in crouch facing his weapons at both his targets, his handgun at Dimitri and his shotgun pointed towards Atverm. He began firing everything he had, full knowing that he was in the open while hoping his final gambit can buy himself time.

"No, you listen ta me, SOLLIE! I risked my hide tryin' t--!" And then the world became two ringing gunshots. If there was something Dimitri hated more than anything, it was shootouts in small rooms like these. There was no place for the sound to go to, so Dimitri's ears basically went deaf.

Then he heard a third one, and the weight on the chair suddenly diminished to nearly nothing. Had that bastard shot the girl!? Instinctively, Dimitri tried to get out of the range of gunfire, and headed out the door (where he was originally headed anyway) with a quick dash.

Except, the girl that had face-planted was on the way, and he ended up tripping on her and falling on his side just as Greg began shooting at him with the handgun. "Shit!" He aimed the gun as best he could while falling.

The sudden motion of falling, plus the insanely fast displacement of his body's position had awarded Dimitri with some unexpected, 'convenient' dodging maneuver. It seemed Lady Luck was on his side after all.

Bang, bang, bang.

Three more ringing shots were added to the cacophony of shots that the mercenary, and what he assumed were also some of those from the ID-Sol 'police officer' behind him, as Dimitri fell to the onto and across the girl. All those three bullets all headed towards Greg.

Atverm continued to hid behind the desk as Greg blasted it with shotgun fire. He then heard something hit the floor and peeked out from underneath the desk to see the girl fall flat on her face. Apparently the other bounty hunter had tried to drag her away during the commotion but hadn't factored in the sound of chair legs scraping against the floor.

Keeping his head down, Atverm headed over to the other end of the desk. When he heard more gunfire from the other end of the room he jumped out on his side and opened fire on the man. Hopefully catching him off guard.

Once he was taken care of he would then head over to the girl and see if she was doing all right.

Greg's body seemed to shake around as bullets came in contact with him only it was Atverm's bullet that contacted the back of the mercenary's head that did him in. The dead man fell forwards, with his blood slowly pooling onto the floor.

"Holy shit!" said the kid that was still black and blue from the doorway before he backed away then started into a run. "I should have listened to my mom and joined Star Army, I didn't join this gang for this."

The girl was facedown when Atverm checked up on her and when he turned her facing up he would notice that she had a couple of light bruises but was otherwise just fine.

When the mercenary keeled over, Atverm rushed over to the girl and turned her over. Other than a few bruises she seemed to be perfectly fine. Then he remembered the other bounty hunter who had fallen backwards.

Reaching out and grabbing the dead mercenaries shotgun, Atverm kept the gun barrel trained on the man while he used his other arm to help the girl up.

"I'm working with the police Miss Carpentor. Investigator John and Officer Dave are further down the halls laying down some cover fire. We'll be meeting up with them and getting you out of here. You'll be with your father before morning if nothing else happens."

Atverm then turned his full attention to the other man. "Any suggestions on what we should do with the bounty hunter?"

The fall finished and he landed on his shoulder, his legs across the girl that he had attempted to rescue. He scrambled onto his legs and leaned against the wall next to the door, panting from the exhilaration of having almost gotten killed by a desperate gun-for-hire.

When the merc was clearly down and dead for the count, he sighed in relief, and looked over to the big ID-Sol looking the girl over. Dimitri growled. "Hey! Don't talk about me like I ain't here!"

Dimitri peeked out the door and saw the rookie he had beaten unconscious earlier running out into the warehouse. That wasn't a good sign... it was possible that more goons were headed their way. The gun he was holding in both hands got closer to his body to hide it from anyone that looked into the room. In the meantime it was time to break into negotiations. Dimitri turned to Atverm and reasoned. "Look big guy, why don't we come up with a deal, huh? You ain't a cop, right? Neither am I. So how's about we bring the girl in and we split the bounty fifty-fifty? Sound good?"

The kid running away met fist from a policeman and fell backward on the ground knocking himself out. Dave crouched down and began to bind up the boy's arms, while doing so he told John, "Go ahead, I'll secure this one. I radioed in and the police should be here shortly."

John just nodded and the overcoat investigator continued to walk to the Executive Office. As he entered the room he pulled out a smoke and began to light it while taking in the scenery. He noticed first the burn mark the grenade cooked, and then the bullet holes in the walls from missed gunshots, finally the dead body. He let out a puff of smoke before giving his opinion, "I'm glad the office is at least one piece, I think maybe Mr. Vanderson's bounty might be able to cover that at least."

He walked to Vanderson's body and checked the pulse despite the bullet in the head, then moved to where the girl was. Rin carpenter opened her eyes but couldn't make out anything and quickly passed out again. "Well good thing she is alright," he then looked at the two bounty hunters, "Considering the situation I think you boys came out just fine. You two should get examined and I'll make sure the check reaches your account, by the way what's your name?" He looked at Dimitri with an inquisitive stare.

As Dimitri was about to put on his negotiation skills on the floor, he saw the overcoat guy walking in. He looked perplexed for a second or two, just looking at the guy wondering what the hell he was doing in the middle of a battlefield. Unless, of course, they had already taken care of everyone outside.

Damn, it's over already? Crap... I hope this doesn't mean they won't pay us.

When John addressed Dimitri and the other guy, he felt the urge to ask who the hell he was, but decided to answer the guy's question. One hand slid into the front pocket of his black suit and proceeded to, with the index and thumb fingers, pick out a cigarette. He put the cigarette end to his mouth and grasped it between lips, then flicked the opposite end with the very fingers that had picked it up as he inhaled. The cigarette lit thanks to a chemical reaction within the cigarette, and the fumes that it created were brought into Dimitri's body. Nicotine always helped his body stop shaking after a fight.

"Dimitri Spiek Rogues."

And with that, he puffed the smoke that had helped him calm down right back out. He carried the lit cigarette with his index and middle fingers and stared at the overcoat guy. "Hope you ain't lying about that bounty gettin to my account. As you can see, I almost got shrapnel in my ass over this girl."

Atverm hauled himself up into a standing position and dusted himself off as best he could. "Yeah, being shot in the gut probably warrants medical attention. Good thing I invested in that body armor."

Remembering that he had left his rifle in the other room, he walked through the giant hole he had caused, picking it up with his free hand and slinging it over his back. He then walked over to Greg and grabbed one of his pistols plus some ammunition off his corpse.

"Even if I don't get any money, I at least got something out of all this besides a few bullet wounds." He said while looking over his new Styrling Shot 12.

A couple of hours later the local police finally drove up bringing with them a few Demon Power Armors. The news station also arrived and began filming on the spot in an excited manner.

The detective and police man stepped out of the building with the little girl in their arms who was quickly taken to the nearest medical facility while the cameras quickly trained on detective.

"We came into conflict with the Bloodpaw gang who was hired by a mercenary," explained Detective John to the cameras, "if it wasn't for a couple of brave men, this little girl wouldn't be here today. I am unable to say their names at this time."

Even without the detective giving the names of the bounty hunters, it was quickly known who they were. One gang, the Mohawks were paying close attention to the news. Their leader in the shadows grinned imagining that these people might be still lurking around for money and could be of use to them.

Both bounty hunters would receive a text and confirmation that their bank received 20,000 KS. The text explained however, "Do to all the damages, all there was left was 40,000 which I split between you two. Good job you two, I hope we can see more of your work on New Aio again someday."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back