• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Rejected Submission C9 'Pine Class Optionally Manned Warship'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Please then, do me a favor and attempt to sever a Lego kit into pieces. You will find that each section you remove has fewer blocks in it. The entire kit may have only 100 blocks, with some being specialty parts. The location of specialty Parts after disassembly depends on which piece is removed, or more specifically how it was removed. Thus the argument that every section would be armed is incorrect. Out of the entire ship there are a number of weapons. During the demolition of the structure some of these weapons will inevitably be destroyed, while other chunks may not contain any weapons at all to begin with.

Break your car into 10 pieces, then tell me how many pieces contain a tire. You will find that only four pieces of your car contain a tire.

You do have a fair point there, but there's far more than 4 weapons on this. There's enough for each section to have a weapon or more than one after being split into the maximum amount.

If perhaps you divided the ship with precision and and purpose. Would a captain not be targeting the weapons to begin with?

Again, you raise a pretty good point. I'll admit that likely all main weapons would be disabled before division inducing damage occured, so that mitigates my concerns for the most part. I've been swayed, but I'm not the one making the final decision.

Secondary or point defense weapons might still be online, but that's not nearly as much of a concern as main weapons.

This is why I proposed that rewrite. If such was the intention of the system, why shouldn’t it be clarified?

Also, now that you’re here Rizzo: Does USO have the ability to support even a single dreadnought? Why is there so much in-faction disagreement?

The disagreement appears to just be the Elysian clique. Rizzo and I appear to be in the same page regarding the ease of supporting a ship like this.

Just because I disagree with you doesn’t make me a part of a ‘clique’

I’m not some mindless drone, I raise concerns because I believe there’s an issue

There's a very easy answer and a slightly more complicated answer as to why we can support this ship.

Basically they have a fake economy that is now indisputable. Candon Suites has made a version of Yamatai's own economy. So long as the ship is made on 188604 and the banking service manages the transactions they essentially have an unlimited supply of Arcmarks. There are also in abundance of Resources for them to begin mining. Howard Station by now is mostly completed and mostly unused. All that is left to do is bring on more personnel

But won’t printing more currency cause inflation? I’ve studied a bit of economics and really what you’re looking for to be able to support a dreadnought is to up your resources available, people available to obtain those resources, tools to harvest them, and people willing to invest in harvesting to build such a dreadnought.

To me it feels like USO doesn’t have enough. Sure they performed a planet cracking operation but how many are willing to invest in building a dreadnought and maintaining its upkeep? Do they have the manpower and machinepower to even build it? What’s the corporate return that the FSC gets, aside from ‘we built a dreadnought?’

I’d also like to hear Alex’s side of the whole discourse.

Last edited:
Normally you would be correct, printing more currency would cause inflation and it led to an economic collapse when S6 purchasedtwo aircraft carriers. Candon has taken control the economy through the collapse by bringing the wealthyand financially elite people on the planet under his influence and removing opposition. Thus they can to a degree control prices. Also, nobody is made aware when they are generating more currency. Thus, there is no one bold enough to call him out on it. FBS declared it's value at 1 DA and with no economic competitorsand the price remains.

But injecting money into the system will naturally cause inflation. And never growing the economy will only encourage people to hoard their money.

Of course, I’m a classical economist so I believe every little thing you do to an economy has impacts in the future.

I like your thinking. You would definitely be right should this have been a traditional economic structure. Currently the economy is based less on reality and more on NPCs not wanting to die. It has generated some dissention but ultimately has stabilized food prices so there has been only small groups rebelling.

I’m pretty sure USO just blew away every other nation with a superior economic strategy by doing an end run around everyone and everything with the ArcMark.

The USO has more IC commerce going on than anyone, and has more fleshed out industry than anyone (maybe, different metrics will get you different results. Yamatai certainly has more RP on infrastructure over the whole history of SAoY RP but the USO has been killing it lately, especially Ame and Akemi.)

Add onto that Wazu making ship designs and logistics trains that leverage the latest methodologies and we’re golden. Really what we need to do is just max out our ship cap for 188604 already and get started on some new worlds.

That doesn't just magically make the raw resources, manpower and parts to maintain and buid a dreadnaught available. It's not magic. More posts doesn't make your faction more powerful in universe.

I also think that it by no means "I’m pretty sure USO just blew away every other nation with a superior economic strategy by doing an end run around everyone and everything with the ArcMark."

You don't just get go say "Lol we did some shenanigans and now our economy is good." The economy doesn't even exist right now according to @Rizzo. The whole thing's a sham.

Raw resources come from the harvesting operation the crew has been talking about.

Manpower comes via FSC and Vier drones.

Capability to do all this is thanks to Wazu. This isn’t exactly a standard starship design, and you’ll notice a distinct lack of complex alloys in the main body to reduce production time, as the main hull can be milled from a big hung of metal rather than forged and assembled. Similarly all the internal components are containerized, meaning we can use exsisting stockpiles of equipment to build this.

You’ll also notice most of the gear is designed around multiple layers of redundancy. If something breaks you don’t even have to go fix it, you just have your software pull the part from your configuration.

You don't just get go say "Lol we did some shenanigans and now our economy is good." The economy doesn't even exist right now according to @Rizzo. The whole thing's a sham.
@Alex Hart don't you dare twist my words, that is not what I said. It is a fake economy for sure, but it is just as ICly real as they get. If you would like to dispute the technology, by all means engage in a mechanical themed conversation and stop questioning whether we have the money and resources. You already know we do.
Also, do not follow this by questioning whether the ORIGIN INDUSTRIES SHIPYARD can or cannot make it. You already know that it can. I'm getting tired of being insulted.

I’m not saying that you can’t build it, all I’m saying is that the USO economy is definitely not good, and that we’ve blown no one away. It only works because of FSC, not because anyone made good choices.

Additionally, I wasn’t trying to twist your words, @Rizzo, I was trying to explain that the economy has been, as I understand it, supplanted by the FSC.

The FSC is the economy, and so the economy isn’t “real”. Things aren’t working because of smart choices, they’re working because of desperate measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back