• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Can Yamataians get cybernetics?

FM

Inactive Member
It's somewhat of an unwritten rule here that non-Neplesians can't get cybernetics. However, a tech submission I'm working on, a wired mental interface and storage device at the back of the neck, would work far better with the computer-like mind of a Yamataian, and be far less obtrusive than traditional interfaces.

That said, is there any real reason that cybernetics don't work with the Yamataians (and other species), or is it simply a matter of the lack of need for replacements?

Solution
Re: Yamataians and Cybernetics

FM said:
That said, is there any real reason that cybernetics don't work with the Yamataians (and other species), or is it simply a matter of the lack of need for replacements?
Yamataians and Neko self-regenerate and their bodies reject foreign objects.
Why have a mounted device when you already have a staggering amount of memory space and have access to the PANTHEON which could probably act as a cache and upload it to a trusted computer storage space if you had to?

Re: Yamataians and Cybernetics

FM said:

Solution
Kotori said:
Why have a mounted device when you already have a staggering amount of memory space and have access to the PANTHEON which could probably act as a cache and upload it to a trusted computer storage space if you had to?

What I mean is, like an interface plug. Not everyone likes telepathy or the PANTHENON, and not everyone works with systems that have either.

Wes said:

Ah, hell. It's incredibly invasive - a direct tap into the brainstem. Is there no concieveable way that a single person could do such a thing, though?

Because people want situations which are fun to roleplay and not everyone worships the mighty god of bloat that is PANTHEON.

Kotori said:
There is the Star Army of Nepleslia. (tadadum)

I'm not making a soldier character, though. :p Again, not everyone likes the PANTHEON - or even has access to it 18/7. But not everyone who fits that case is Nepleslian.

I do have to agree on this one - you're overly promoting one choice when realistically, in the situation that I am seeing, one may not have the luxury of it.

*shrugs*

Okay, in my mind, I don't really think you need a wired mental interface, as the Kylie's helmet seems to pick up thoughts fine from the pilot. It might not need to be anything more complicated than a headset. With a thought-reception headset (the existance of such a device is not assured, but there should be a technological precedent for it) and a trusty laptop computer, you should be able to get what you're looking for.

Of course, you might think that a laptop is too big, so, there's possibly the SARP equivalent of the PSP which could do about what you'd like. Again, the existence of the hardware can be disputed... but it'd be feasable.

Would high-tech glasses work for that? >.> A helmet would just look doofy. As for the laptop, a tablet would be preferable, but they would obviously exist as well, so yeah.

In any case, one should remember that wireless interfaces do have their disadvantages. They are susceptible to blocking and interference. As well, a straight wired interface will always have a faster transfer rate. And there's a higher chance for compatibility with a wired interface, too.

Maybe in the future these things will be untrue, I don't know, but I'm looking at a technical standpoint from what I know now.

Well, SPINE is wireless, but requires close contact. I think wireless technology at close ranges are probably very reliable.

I wouldn't rely on glasses, mainly because I don't feel glasses are over the right cortion of the body and... well... mind-reading glasses are just a bit too convenient.

I meant headset, not helmet. A slender, light, solidly built headset similar to the ones we used today for phones or listening to music shouldn't be all, that incomodating, wouldn't require a connection port (whom yamataians find icky. I know your character is a nepleslian, but you give me the impression of being around Yamatai) and would be that extra thing you'd slip over your head and access.

I mean, cybernetic nervous plugs are commonplace in scifi. Going for the wireless (but close) contact should be a nice change, especially considering we know Yamatai has that sort of thing. It'd be a sure bet. You mentioned in the first post 'unobstrusive' and 'for yamataians'... so, this seems to fit the bill as well as have compatibility for Nepleslians.

Technically a Geshrin who left the planet after the plague. In any case, I'll consider this. I don't know what kind of form factor would be best though. :p Maybe I should just stop worrying.

Coming in a bit late here, but ... what is the point of such a device? Any native life from Yamatai's going to have grown up around PANTHEON, as the entire planet uses it. Is this kind of a runaround to make a Yamataian or Nepleslian as good as a Neko?

Hardly. SLICS and SPINE are customized and basically used for very specific purposes. And Nekos have all kinds of other advantages that a single wired interface isn't going to solve.

PANTHEON hasn't been around for relatively long, anyway, and Mora has basically lived on Neplesia for a substantial portion for his life. :p

RPG-D RPGfix
Back