Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SNV Gam'trosha [Chapter 1.2] The Training Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Understood, Shar'ica." Stahp acknowledged, not bothering to wonder why she had called him a pipsqueak as he followed combat behavior, pulling off his arm band and stuffing it into a pocket. His bag however, he was a little hesitant to toss aside. Aside from the normal stuff like clothing and equipment, he had also brought along a few mementos of his deceased parents that had survived the fire that took away his home. Leaving it behind didn't feel right to him even though he knew it was not like anyone aboard this ship would ever bother to steal them. What worried him was that a mock battle could get chaotic and it was possible his bag could get stepped on or kicked aside into some obscure location. Still, orders were orders and the bag really was preventing him from keeping pace with Shar.

After quickly looking around trying to memorize this specific spot, Stahp carefully dropped his things against a wall. Hopefully here, his stuff would be well away from any foot traffic and other dangers. The Daur took another moment to dedicated this location to his memory before dashing off after Shar again.

Bridge

Zur'el could hear more chatter between the two shuttles, the pilots were apparently getting a bit annoyed at being unable to drop off their soldiers onto the ship and instead were now playing a game of catch up.

Code:
Shuttle 1: A game of chicken!

Shuttle 2: He who blinks first is lost

Shuttle 1: Yea well, watch me.

Sa'kira gripped the armrest of her seat, watching the displays and the training unfolding and gave an approving nod of the head toward Def'leors actions.

As the Gam'trosha closed in on the shuttles, the first shuttle spun around onto it's 'top', the most armored part of the shuttle. The pilot wasn't going to flinch either and apparently decided to head straight for the Gam'trosha, or rather, heading toward it at an angle.

However, as the two closed distance, the first shuttle decided to move off and avoid the hit all together. As it moved out of the starships flight path, it would come around and make a beeline toward the rear of the ship, with the second shuttle closing in.

Armory

When the doors opened, the My'leke instructor turned to see Shar. "About time," said the instructor who turned back toward the weapons that were on the table. "Suit up, grab your weapons and make sure they are set to stun."

"No heavy weapons."

Armory

Tite'Yanus wasn't right behind Shar, bounding in on all fours.

"No heavy weapons? Now you're just taking away the fun!"

Heading over to one of the automated units, he stood still, insterted his tail into the proper slot, and waited as the machine put on his My'leke Module for him. As it did, he surveyed the field of non-heavy weaponry, unfamiliar with many of the newer options. Deciding to just stick with a good ol'fashioned turret, he instructed the computer to equip him with the Maku'ran Anti-Infantry Turret.

"I hope you don't count the AI Turret as heavy weaponry," Tite called over to the instructors.

Gam'trosha Engineering Bay

"On it." Keri'cruen replied to Quin. The young kits eyes darted over the available displays. Over his shoulder, the platinum-haired kit glanced over toward Tal'dar.

"Ah, hey! Good to see we've another helping hand down here. Finally!" The young man grinned broadly, then he lightly gestured towards the results of the various system diagnostics that he had started -- which were now popping into view as numerous small holographic windows.

"See if you can't help me spot the problem with our weapons. Hardware or software, somethings obviously at fault here."

The kit turned his blue-green eyes back to the displays himself, focusing on the results of the targeting system diagnostic -- if the weapons themselves were fine, perhaps the sensors were malfunctioning.

Shuttle One

Zes'kas was scanning around the shuttle, just looking at everyone, taking in everyone's mood. The Liabe had his long tail laying across his legs, and elbows on his knees, hands clasping together to support his out-stretched head. He fidgeted in the body suit, he preferred to have his red fur getting some air. His much beloved Energy Bow was strapped onto his back, prepped for action. As he gazed once more across the inhabitants of the shuttle, he spotted a Duar acting a bit off, staring into nothingness. She looks troubled.

Zes'kas pointed his tail at her, "Hey, you okay? If you're worried about this, I'll make sure you keep safe and "alive"." He winked one golden eye at her reassuringly, and grinned through his visor of the body suit. He added with a laugh, "I'm a medic." Best keep everyone clear and focused for the training, because maybe next time, it won't be. After he finished laughing, "Name's Zes'kas."

"Err. Right. I am too." Rosec'a flashed a grin. "Rosec'a. Amauri Rosec'a. Not going to shoot my eye out."

Sure you aren't.

Quiet! Quiet I said!

She actually did a rather admirable job of passing off as calmer than she felt. Training run, she knew it was just a training run. So why were they playing chicken with the laws of conservation of momentum?!

He's trying to kill us.

No, nooo...

Yes. Absolutely.

"Right, Zes'kas. Pleasure. I think. Yes!"

Gam'trosha - Armory

"It's not," remarked the My'leke instructor as she walked over to the turret and opened up a side panel of it. "Although it is quite heavier than what is typically used during exercises, so just remember that when you fire this you will mostly knock someone flat on their ass.."

Bridge

"Get us below the cloud layer, try to lose those shuttles," ordered Sa'kira. "Intel, are they communicating at all amongst one another?" Sa'kira turned toward their resident agent.

Engineering Bay

Nodding immediately as he was tasked, he began to look for the problem across the detailed readouts of the diagnostics. Scrolling through the various lines of code, he looked to his own datapad and brought up the base readouts of what the systems on the ship should look like and began to compare them.

Just then, he remembered the first thing he had done aboard the ship. "Actually, now that I think of it, I had spent a bit of time on the portside main battery, there was a problem with not firing there either," he started to explain, "in that case, it turned out that the incorrect brackets were installed for the main gun," he stated. It was doubtful that the entire ship would have been installed with the wrong brackets without anyone taking notice, but it was worth mentioning.

He looked back to the readouts and started to look outside of the box, starting by identifying all of the other systems the fire control and targeting would be linked to in an attempt to identify any signals or commands given by other systems causing the error.

Bridge
Def'leor was doubtful about the clouds serving as cover, but was not going to argue.

"Aye ma'am, heading below the cloud deck, hang on to your stomachs." she called out as she adjusted the RADAR to help her see through the clouds as best as possible. Then switched vertical thrust to zero, allowing the Gam'trosha to drop like a stone while keeping its forward velocity. She monitored the distance from the keel to the ground, and the height of the cloud deck. If she could get down into the canyon the turbulence from the wind and the ship's passage would hamper the boarding effort.

Once the Gam was below the clouds she restored vertical thrust to hold altitude, and started working on weaving her way through the canyon without scraping the walls.

Bridge

"Ma'am, they are, but so far nothing to help define their plans, They did seem want to play chicken with the ship." He quickly brought up the transcript for the comms chatter. "Though I think these two might need to be investigated for possible treason."

Zes'kas laughed, "I hope you don't shoot your eye out! I don't think I can fix that. You're a medic too?" He winked at Rosec'a, "Well, nice to know someone else can help me out if I get hit."

"Think I'm just not going to shoot at all," Rosec'a admitted, after a bare moment's uncomfortable pause. "I'm not any good at it."

Damn right you aren't.

Quiet!

She turned an eye towards the front of the shuttle, uncomfortably. "...what is he doing?"

"Well, if I wanted to give him credit, I'd say evasive action. However..." He paused for effect, as the shuttle bounced around, "... I doubt it. Maybe he's trying to get us killed BEFORE we get killed!" Still kinda off. Or maybe, she doesn't like me, I am a Liabe after all, and we don't have a great record. He sighed, deflating a little.

"What? I don't want to be double-killed! Can they even do that?" She was either absolutely sincere or selling it very well. Rosec'as eyes turned as wide as saucers, her attention whipping right back to Zes'kas with a profoundly worried look. "If they double-kill me, I demand that you double-kill them back! If you survive, I mean..."

Smooth.

...dammit...

Zes'kas chuckled, "I hope we can't get double-killed. I figure that dying once is bad enough, so I don't want to know what dying twice would be like..." He paused, studying Rosec'a, "Now, I'm sure, if you got double-killed..." He gestured around the shuttle, "I'd be double-killed too. If it's in consolation, I'd make sure whoever was responsible was TRIPLE-killed." He grinned after saying the last bit, the energetic twinkle returning to his golden eyes.

"Wellll... I don't know if it's necessary to go that far..." Smiling slightly, Rosec'a shook her head. "I mean. I believe in measured and appropriate responses, right? So you don't need to triple-kill anyone. Besides, if you triple-kill you might just kill them back to life, and then all that time would be completely wasted."

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Do YOU?

...no.

Good! Quiet!

For the first time in several minutes, Rosec'a felt her inner monologue go silent. It was a good feeling. She tossed her head triumphantly, despite the fact that it probably looked really strange from the outside. "...first mission?"

"Yeah, little anxious to start, as odd as it sounds. You know, get it over with." He shifted his shoulders, shaking his energy bow slightly. "At least I've got my bow." At this he reached back and felt the smooth metal, reassured by it's presence.

"Anticipation is a killer," Rosec'a agreed. She wrinkled her nose, eyeing Zes'kas and his apparently favoured weapon. She wasn't much good with an energy bow, herself. Though in fairness she wasn't much good with a sword or rifle either. It was the rifle she had ready, on her person - a weapon one could be somewhat more effective with, at least, as a barely-skilled medical practitioner.

"I'll cover you if you cover me. Have to stay up and healthy, right? Otherwise the rest of the squad might get double-killed."

She seemed quite oblivious to the fact that the 'rest of the squad' was in earshot of the entire conversation.

"Seems fair." was Zes'kas's response. He was also ignoring the rest of the team at the moment, putting his attention at Rosec'a. "That's the objective, at least for us two. I'm sure everyone here doesn't want to get double-killed." He gestured with his tail, rotating it in a circle, indicating the general area they were in, "So, what do you think it? Mission and all?"

"I was hoping for more of a briefing..." She rubbed the back of her head, awkwardly. "In the Youth Corps I mostly did, you know... research. It's different."

It's forgiving of failure, you mean.

No it isn't!

"I mean. I saw... I worked on wounded. A lot of them. But I've never actually seen live fire."

"A breifing would have been nice." He thought back, "Youth Corps, I was going to join up, my parents instead taught me at the hospital they work at. I've been around the wounded, but... never any gunfire, just practice stuff." He shifted uncomfortably, "Now that I think about it, I've never been shot either... I'm sure it'll be fine!" He said the last bit with confidence, or at least, an appearence of confidence.

"Completely fine! Just so long as we don't crash into anything first."

Smoooooth.

(Mini-JP between Orion and Shammy)

Engineering

"Then it could be possible that the wrong data-cables were also used," remarked Quin as she waved her hand to cause a display to disappear while another appeared to her left. "We need to check two areas then, I need one of you to head to the main computer and check 'every' data-line that runs from the bridge to the computer. Then, I need the other to check the data-lines going from the computer to fire-control system that is located here..." she brought up a map and tapped her finger on deck two toward the central area of the ship, putting it in the direct center of all of the ships weapons. "To get there, go through the maintenance hatch on Deck two, the hatch will be sealed so make sure you remember your passcode to access it."

Quin turned her attention back to her displays, then toward the two there. "So, which one of you will handle the main computer while the other handles the firing computer?"

Bridge

"I'd be wise about making that kind of a statement," Sa'kira said, glancing out of the corner of her eye towards Tar'Vas. "We can review the comm. logs once this is done, but do keep an eye on them still."

Armory

"We don't know here they'll land," remarked one of the instructors.

"Since it's a simulation, most likely the hanger, that being said let's be ready. We'll be monitoring you gents to see how you handle yourselves, remember your training and try not to make any mistakes."

"Well, mistakes can be made, but you just need to learn from them."

Shuttle 1

"Hang on!" shouted the pilot towards his passengers as the shuttle rocked, the pilot dove into the cloud cover, chasing after the Gam'trosha in an effort to try and keep up. Above them, the Shadow of Light pursued the Gam'trosha, it's gunners firing blind into the clouds in an effort to do some kind of damage.

Armory

Tite finished attaching his turret and did a couple lunges and stretches with it now on his back. Crouching low to the ground, he took a couple practice aims at random spots on the wall.

"I think I'll manage not to hurt any of them too bad."

Bridge

Def'leor continued flying through the canyon. Using the radar to see through the worst of the clouds. When the RADAR indicated a branch to the left she juked the starship into it. The Gam'trosha was handling well, given that she was asking her to fly like a fighter. She compensated for that by allowing for more time in her maneuvers.

She opened a channel to Engineering. "Bridge to Engineering, what is the status on the targeting system malfunction?"

~Armory~

Stahp entered the busy armory trying to stay out of other people's way as he searched for the medical equipment. He had been worried that he would have to make a quick run down to the Infirmay, but it seemed everything he needed was already here. Once the Daur was sufficiently satisfied with being well prepared to handle any fake injuries he would run across, he turn his attention towards ordnance. Having been trained in stealth and recon he'd prefer a longer range rifle, yet the nature of this close quarters engagement made the standard equipment more practical.

After listening to one of the instructors' explanation, Stahp took a moment to scan the room for his sister, yet he could not find her. Had she already gone out? He wondered. Once again, he felt annoyed at the timing of this sudden mock battle. If only they had the time to talk properly, then perhaps he'd feel more calm and focused right about now. Shaking those thoughts out of his head, he quickly finished suiting up and joined the rest of the group.

Repel the attackers, treat people who aren't actually hurt, find my bag, find my room, THEN deal with I'su.

Levi hung on tight as the Gam'trosha performed some incredibly tight maneuvers that strained the inertial dampeners. "With the targeting sensors out. I'm endeavoring to write a patch with the main science arrays to compensate" he said as he once again gained some stability and was typing away at his console.

"I hope this works."

Engineering Bay

Once Quin had finished, Keri'cruen cast Tal'dar a a brief, bluish-green glance before turning his stare back to the young female kit issuing instructions. He sighed, then responded to her in a light-hearted tone saying: "I'll do the check on the data cables for the main computer core."

The young kit engineer scratched an itch at the base of one of his silver-furred eyes, which twitched a little in unison with the light movements of his finger. Keri then crossed his arms against his chest and turned his gaze back over to Tal'dar, wearing a small, lopsided grin. "Come on, rookie. Let's get a move on; this ship isn't going to fix itself."

With a friendly nod back toward Quin, the young male kit pivoted around and headed for the entry hatch of the engineering bay. He exited the chamber and began making his way through the bowels of the ship in the direction of the main computer core.

Shar listened to the instructor as she donned an armoured suit. Hangar was a best place to bring the shuttle, though one of the airlocks were quite viable as well. Though it would be easy for bridge-crew to box them inside a corridor by the bridge, simply by closing off the bulk-heads.

"We shall move into the hangars then," Shar spoke out. She took a three pair of light-vision goggles. Two for herself and one for Tit. "You blokes should put these on." She handed one to Stahp and one to Tite'Yanus.

"Bridge this is Shar," she hit the radio. "Me, Tite'yanus and new-guy are gonna go and secure the hangar. On my go, please set the hangar light to the brightest possible. We are equipped with LVGs."

With that she grabbed a Seta'sis sword, a Vela'rius sword rifle with ammo and a plasma pistol. She wanted to take the new needler, but it had to no stun setting.

"Okay let's get a move on." She finished with a grunt and nod towards the door.

The ship moved quickly through the clouds, with the two shuttles in hot pursuit, they weren't going to let the Gam'trosha get away from them, they were slowly closing the distance.

Above, the Shadow of Light continued it's assault, firing off a continuing barrage of fire toward the Gam'trosha. The ships computer registered several hits against the shield, none of which were major.

On the science console, the rader map showed a super-cell ahead of the ship with winds up to two hunded and forty one miles per hour, there was also evidence of a cyclonic effect going on.

Armory

The two instructors smiled at one another, grabbing their own weapons and following Shar.

Engineering

"Being looked into," responded Quin to De'fleors request.

Armory

Tite'Yanus shrugged as he bounded after Shar, literally keeping right on her tail. He held the LVGs with the strap in his mouth and the goggles dangling, figuring it would take him too long to strap them on in the armor, and deciding that it was impossible to do while moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back