• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Chapter 2.0 Operation Harlequin

Gunhand4171

The Gunman
Aboard the NSS Oracle 0645...

After the operation to save the Spring from enemy pirates, much of Aquila Flight was transferred out to other battalions. Soon only a handful of pilots remained. Captain My'ean Fyunnen, Commander Nero Vega, Lt. Mochizuki Sayoko, Lt. Miranda Bannings, and Lt. Johanna 'Jo' Cigaro were the only Aquila pilots left. But, soon everyone would see just how well the Aquila's could operate, even when understrength...

Commander Nero woke early, receiving a ping on his datajockey that he was being summoned by the Rear Admiral Orion. He groaned as he stood and quickly dressed himself. He pinned his commnder bars onto his uniform and quickly left his room aboard the Oracle.

A shuttle ride later he was back aboard the NSS Thanatos. He quickly made his way to the Admiral's office and knocked.

"Come in!" Replied Orion and Nero quickly entered. Nero saluted the Admiral and Orion returned it.

"Commander..." Orion said offering him a seat. "I have read your after action report. You and your flight did decently. There is room for improvement, but your flight isn't as useless as I originally believed. Congratulations..." Orion said attempting to get a rise from Nero.

Nero simply nodded. "Thank you sir." He raised an eyebrow at the man. "Why else have you called me in." Nero asked hoping to cut to the chase.

Orion sighed. "Don't want to have a friendly conversation?" The admiral asked with mock surprise. "Fine, yes there is another reason I called you here." He pulled out a folder. "This is a recommendation from Captain Fyunnen. She thought you handled yourself well after her communications cut out. You quickly took command of the situation and didn't lose a single man. She recommends that, since your flight has lost so many pilots, that you be placed back as the lead. The good Captain will be keeping an eye on you and you will remain your rank, but you will become the lead again. Do not take this opportunity lightly. You are dismissed." Orion said, quickly shooing Nero from his office.

Nero saluted and left the office in silence, a small smirk forming across his lips. He took another shuttle back over to the Oracle and walked to the mess. He ate breakfast quickly and downed a cup of coffee. Afterword, Nero moved to the briefing room and sent out a general muster to the flight.

The message read: All pilots please report to Briefing room 2 at 0800 hours shipboard time.
-Crux

It was time to get his flight back in order...

Briefing Room, 0749 hours

A soft tap-tap-tap heralded Miranda's slight silhouette gliding into the theatrette, the waifish girl moving with all the grace of her callsign's namesake. She bore a rather unsettled expression as she unconsciously ghosted across the floor, mind buried in thought as she glided in front of Captain Vega. The sheer chaos that had erupted within the ranks of the Aquilas soon after they returned from what was initially a tolerably successful mission had left its mark on the young pilot, colleagues disappearing left and right as Star Navy Admiralty sought to tear their Flight to pieces.

"Reporting in as ordered, Captain." Miranda intoned, snapping off a salute. Her expression and posture remained stiff as ever.

Briefing Room, 0750 hours

The newly minted Lt. stepped into the briefing room shortly after the other two. She gave Vega a salute and then a small smile as she made her way towards one of the chairs, keeping up close to the front since there weren't as many pilots as there used to be. Hopefully, soon, they would be able to fill their ranks again. But, for now, maybe it was a good thing that their flight be relatively small. It would give them a chance to prove why they were the flying aces to begin with. She gave a nod to Miranda in greeting, her uniform pressed, though her shoes did not make the same tapping sound as Miranda's. Mostly because she refused to wear heels!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back