• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: The Fringe [Chapter 4.3a] - Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floodwaters

Inactive Member
Dawn Station - Sector Four - Klimmeck's Hole - Late Afternoon/Early Evening

The working day had not quite ended long enough ago for the bar huddled at the ground floor of one of the monolithic buildings lining the streets of Dawn's industrial Sector Four, but while the mom-and-pop repair shops, laundromats, and convenience stores were dwindling down towards closing time, it was evident that Klimmeck's Hole was preparing for the imminent influx of dead-eyed drones shuffling in from the grind of the day's work, ready to empty their pockets of their hard-earned cash in exchange for mind-numbing poisons and a few hours of blissful, ignorant joy before the cycle would have to repeat for many of them. There was no visible smoke near the door, but as anyone approached the entrance the rich, pungent odor of tobacco was unmistakable, permanently staining everything it touched night after night over time so that practically everything inside radiated the smell. ORISEC turned a blind eye to the use of the substance, even though it was illegal in Yamataian space, so long as the patrons minded their manners and the bar did a fair job of keeping the shenannigans within from spilling out beyond its doors.

The lighting inside was still relatively bright, thanks to the light coming in from the street and the fact that most of the barely-functional fixtures were at full power, as bartenders and cocktail servers buzzed about making last minute preparations for the evening rush, wiping down tables, checking ashtrays and condiment racks, and lining up glasses along the shelves that sat in the middle of the enormous, pockmarked and scuffed dark wooden U-shaped bar that dominated the meagerly sized establishment, adorned with polished brass taps and backlit liquor bottles. Scattered around the rest of the serving floor was a plethora of tables of all shapes, sizes, and seating heights, all surrounded by dingy faux-wood chairs and stools. Vidscreens hung from the ceiling in an unrecognizable pattern, but none of them had been turned on yet.

Three early-bird patrons had found their way in already, one of which was seated against the wall to the left of the front entrance, and the other two were hunched over seats on opposite sides of the big central bar, facing one another, but unable to see each other over the pyramid of bottles and glasses perched atop the central counter. None of the men were talking to one another, and only one of them appeared to even acknowledge the presence of the bartender or any of the serving staff. That one was talking quietly with the woman standing next to the taps, a dark-skinned Nepleslian who dressed as if she were fifteen years younger, sporting a bright orange halter top and tight, shiny black pants. She was listening politely to the man's story, by all appearances using the conversation as a diversion from the lack of having anything better to do at the moment, but the bright smile on her face did a fair job of making it look like she was at least pretending to be genuinely interested. The man's head was shaved down to the scalp, his shoulders covered by a faded canvas jacket and his legs by torn and faded blue jeans. Most striking, however, was the bandage wrapped around his head, and tiny little splint across the bridge of his nose. When he turned his head, the light revealed a black and blue bruise around his left eye as well.

Last edited:
Dawn Station - Sector Four - Klimmeck's Hole - Outside

Arriving at the industrial sector had been easy after spending most of the days chasing proverbial breadcrumbs, but finding the specific joint that the person they were after went had been a challenge itself. However, when he arrived, he could smell the joint from down the block. "Remember, we're just here to ask questions. I'll go in first, wait some minutes and then go in after me; Keep your eyes open for anything strange too." Desmond said to Amanozako as he stared at the bar's entrance.

"Got it?" he asked, briefly looking back at the neko. He didn't want any more heat on them from what had happened to the technician and then on the hangar earlier, since the authorities were already stirred up looking for who did that: Them. He wasn't expecting any trouble, but feeling the solid weight of the sidearm holstered on the side of his torso, concealed by the jacket he wore, seemed to appease the more cautious side of his mind.

Ironically, it wasn't too different than the one he had been on the other district when he had recruited another bounty hunter for the crew. If he had stumbled upon it first he might as well have went in for a drionk. Finishing mulling over that, Desmond swapped the strap of the bag he was carrying from one shoulder to another, despite it no longer containing the jammer it still had some volume to it, and then pushed the door open to enter.

Dawn Station - Sector Four - Klimmeck's Hole - Inside

The strong smell of tobacco and cheap, dangerous alcohol greeted him like he had gone through a curtain, but the bounty hunter remained unfazed, briefly scanning the inside of the bar and the few patrons that were already there, as surely as they were glancing at him, then made his way towards the bar. Desmond pulled up a chair between the two other patrons, in the middle of the U-shaped bar, and took a seat, looking around as he fished for something on the front pocket of his jacket.

Klimmeck's Hole - Bar

The dark-skinned bartender, seeing Desmond sit down, rose up from leaning on her elbows across the bar from the beat-up looking young man, continuing to smile and nod politely at his one-sided conversation, and excused herself once he paused long enough to give her an escape. As she drew nearer to the bounty hunter, the thick layers of makeup slathered on her face became more apparent, with a few subtle cracks visible in the mask where the cosmetics didn't quite cover up the leathery wrinkles concealed beneath it. It was reasonable to assume that her "costume" relied on the lower light of the evening, as well as the impaired judgment of most of her inebriated customers, to give the illusion that she was actually attractive.

Setting a cocktail napkin on the bar in front of Desmond, she flashed him a smile of bleached teeth, and winked as she leaned forward on her elbows, just a few inches too close to Desmond's face. "Hiya handsome," she welcomed him. "Get you something?"

Outside

Amanozako frowned and crossed her arms as she waited outside. She disliked this waiting and doing nothing rubbish. She hated being told to wait. The neko grumbled and checked her watch.

A few minutes had passed. She unfolded her arms and went into the bar, slipping into an empty seat at a table in one of the far corners from the door, which gave her a good view of the entire place and let her observe its occupants. She also spotted Desmond talking to the barkeeper.

Amanozako's superior eyesight let her see exactly what the barkeeper was hoping to hide in the dim light and the shoveled on makeup. She wrinkled her nose, she could count the wrinkles by the dozen.

Klimmeck's Hole - Outside

Shrie walked in front of the bar and looked at the side. Klimmeck's hole. The tall fyunnen checked her communicator again to ensure she was at the right spot. She looked around to see if Tam was already around, after all she was supposed to meet him here, though the reason was still unclear to her. She also looked inside through one of the windows, but the gartagen was nowhere to be seen. That mean, she arrived first, so Shrie just stood in front of the pub and waited for her colleague to arrive.

Klimmeck's Hole - Inside

Finally seeming to find whatever it was in his jacket, Desmond pulled out the crumpled pack of cigarettes, glancing behind him to see who the newest arrival to the bar had been. He was partially glad to see that it had been Amanozako. He tapped the bottom of the formerly box-like container with familiarity until one of the white coffin nails poked out and whisked it, putting it between his lips. "Something strong," the bounty hunter said, turning his head back around to look at the bartender before he flicked his lighter open and lit it up, bringing the cigarette close to the flame.

Klimmeck's Hole - Bar

The bartender winked at Desmond and flashed that pearly white smile again, though doing so exacerbated the creases in her mask of makeup. "Sure thing, hon," she replied, and turned to retrieve a bottle of dark amber liquid -- whiskey of some sort, perhaps -- with a faded label. With practiced precision she spun a lowball glass in the palm of her hand and tipped the bottle upside down high in the air, catching the stream of liquid an instant before it hit the counter. As the glass filled up, she lowered the bottle, then raised it up quickly as it topped off, and placed it back on the shelf. Turning back to Desmond, she set the glass down on the bar napkin and smiled again. "Start a tab?" she asked.

The shaved-head man she'd been talking to previously remained in his seat with a dejected posture, not bothering to look up at the others who were slowly filing in. Across on the other side, the other patron looked up at Desmond for a moment with a disinterested look, then went back to staring at his own glass. Over on the far wall to Desmond's right, the third bar fly - a burly looking man with long brown hair tied back in a ponytail and a face full of scruffy-looking stubble -- was sitting with his feet propped up in a chair next to him, holding his half-filled highball nonchalantly in his hand as he tilted his head, checking out the cat-eared woman that had just taken a seat.

Tam faded out of the shadows and came up to tap Shrie on the side to alert her to his presence as he slipped from shadow to shadow. In this case he had taken the time to retrieve his Gael'kash and his revolver was in it's holster on his leg since he didn't want to have to worry about being accosted in this place again. He was in standard RRF duty uniform with his rank insignias still sewn on it since at least that covered more of his body than his normal civilian clothes did and they wouldn't draw as much attention as being fully armored would. "Looking for me?" he asked Shrie as she was standing there.

Shrie heard a movement to the side and turned around as Tam was about to tap her on the shoulder. She was not really sure why he was hiding, but maybe the reason he called her was of a lot bigger importance than she thought. "You sent message. I came." Shrie simply answered him. She noticed him being armed and was happy she got herself weapons of her own by now.

"Apparently the captain forgot some things here. Last time I was here I had to deal with an arrogant and aggressive idiot and I'd prefer to be prepared in case he came back with friends and wants revenge" Tam said to Shrie.

Shrie gave Tam a nod. "I am armed," she replied to him. She had her new melee weapon and Standart Energy Pistol from Origin. "No deaths. I won't kill. But I can fight, no problem." The fyunnen explained to her shipmate. Between the two of them, they should be all right, unless some of the brawlers would have good equipment, cybernetics or good military training. Well hopefully nothing would happen though.

Bar - interior

Amanozako glanced at the thug-looking man scoping her out and flashed her sharp teeth at him, giving him an unsettling feral look before turning her attention back to watching the room. She had little interest in being distracted by the locals. She just wanted to get this job done and go.

Klimmeck's Hole - Bar

"Thanks, but no" Desmond said after watching the drink being served to him. He waited for a while, suppressing a smirk once he saw what Amanozako had done, then turned hiz gaze back towards the bartender. "I'm actually looking for someone who was here just yesterday," he added, but didn't explain any more about it.

The bartender tilted her head and put a hand on her hip with a wry grin. "Lotsa people come through here, sugar," she replied. "Can you be a little more specific?"

The bounty hunter pondered for a while whether or not about how truthful he should be; if he told people that he was a bounty hunter, even someone charged with murder, a lot of doors would close very quickly. "Yeah, she's about this high," he started to say, raising his hand until it was somewhere near 5'10'' before continuing. "Brown-ish hair, green eyes. Sound familiar to you?" he added, his voice still remaining neutral.

Chewing on her tongue for a second, the drink-slinger considered his description with a pensive expression, digging deep into her memories. While the look on her face seemed to suggest she had the faintest recollection of someone that matched that description, she didn't seem to be able to recall such an exact person. Not that anyone could be surprised; the leathery-skinned woman more than likely saw hundreds, if not thousands of men and women of all shapes, colors, and sizes every night. It would be impressive for someone in her position to remember every single face. After a few moments thought, she started to slowly shake her head and focused her eyes back on Desmond. "I think I mighta seen someone like that, or maybe a dozen. Can't be sure. Anything else you can tell me about her?"

"Sorry," Desmond said. Pulling out his datajockey and showing the picture of the bounty would have been too much of a giveaway, and he wasn't feeling like getting heat for that. "I'm really bad with descriptions," he added; maybe Danny and Rathe had fared better.

"Wait a minute," the man at the other end of the bar -- the one with the bandages on his head -- interrupted. Looking down the countertop, Desmond could see that suddenly he now had the formerly disinterested patron's full attention. The man was still hunched over the counter nursing his drink, but his eyes had a fiery vibrance in them now as he stared intently down at the bounty hunter. "Slender girl, short hair, snippy attitude?" he asked pointedly, but the bounty hunter just shrugged in reply.

The bartender's eyes lit up as well. "Oh, yeah!" she exclaimed, snapping her fingers as the memory surged forth. She looked back at Desmond with a few emphatic nods. "Yeah, I think I know who you're talking about. Yeah, she was here just last night, in fact, quite a while if I remember right. Racked up quite a bill."

At the end of the bar, the bandaged man with the shaved head stood up and limped down towards Desmond, drink in hand, and set it on the bar a couple of feet away, leaning the heel of his palm on the surface. "What, you an ex boyfriend or something?" he asked, though it was difficult to tell if the man's tone was a threat or an eager attempt to find out more.

"Maybe," Desmond lied.

"Well, ain't no surprise there," the man replied with a grin, clearly taking Desmond's noncommittal answer as confirmation. "That chick is fuckin' nuts. A stone-cold bitch." That elicited a smirk from Desmond as he crudely snorted and dragged the back of his hand across his nose. "Whatcha looking for her anyhow? She owe you money or something?"

"Yeah, she owes a lot of people," the bounty hunter admitted. That, at least, was true according to the bounty information.

The dastardly grin broadened across the man's face, and he offered his hand to shake. "Erik," he iintroduced himself. The bartender, seemingly content that she was no longer needed, moved on to attend to the other man sitting on the far side of the bar.

"Dave," Desmond lied, replying the first name that had come into his mind as he too extended one hand, letting out a puff of smoke out of his nose.

"Nice to meet ya, Dave," Erik answered, giving the bounty hunter a firm handshake before helping himself to the seat next to him. Taking a brief swig of his drink, he leaned forward with a shifty expression, and gazed at Desmond with a conspiratorial look in his eye. "So listen," he said in a slightly more hushed tone. "I dunno what you plan on doing with her, but if you say she owes you something, that's good enough for me. You buy the next round, and I'll tell you where you can find her."

Klimmeck's Hole - Corner Table

Amanozako's sharp-toothed grin elicited from the man a grin of his own, and a sly wink. He didn't move from his seat, or put his feet down, nor did he make any overt move to approach her. But the way his eyes wandered over her made his intentions clear.

Klimmeck's Hole - Inside

Tam checked his gear and shrugged before looking at Shrie and nodding before heading into the bar, he was here to retrieve some missing items that Sienna had forgotten here the other night when she got well and truly sloshed. He walked in and went straight up to the bar, noting the other people including the bruised man that he'd ejected the other night talking to some guy. He shrugged and figured that if there was a problem the guy could always be hurled out once again. He looked at the bar tender and said "Excuse me miss, my friend thinks that she left her credit chip and some other items here the other night. I was hoping you kept hold of them and I would be able to get them back from you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Klimmeck's Hole - Inside

Shrie walked into the bar behind Tam. While he went to check with the barmaid, the fyunnen woman looked around. There were few people inside and it seemed none of them was interested in others. Shrie reminded herself to not look interested in them either. Still she was wary of her surrounding, even though the place did not really look dangerous to her.

Klimmeck's Hole - Bar

"Yeah," Desmond said, it was easy to mask his contempt because he just seemed to be frowning all the time, and he had already figured a long time ago that nothing was really free, most of all information. He leaned back and turning his head away until his gaze caught the bartender, and vice-versa. The bounty hunter made a simple gesture, pointing with two fingers at the table in front of him and then at Erik. While the round of drinks didn't arrive, he let out another puff of smoke and stubbed out what remained of his cigarette in a nearby ashtray.

"So, you were saying?" He continue, prodding the other man on as he reached for another cigarette. He really couldn't look more forward to getting out of that place already.

Corner Table

Amanozako caught the additional look from the man and rolled her eyes. She might have to kill someone after all. She shifted in her seat just enough so that her coat shifted and showed off a hint of one of the large HHG's strapped to her hip. She turned her attention back to the rest of the bar, catching the newcomers coming in and going up to the bar, a Lorath and a Gartagen. She turned her cat ears in their direction and zoomed her eyesight in on them to see if she could catch anything that might tell if they were from their mark's crew.

Klimmeck's Hole - Far End of the Bar

The bartender had just finished serving the patron at the far side of the bar when Tam caught her as she walked by. Stopping in mid-stride, her eyebrows raised and a friendly smile on her leathery face, she leaned on the bar to respond, when suddenly a look of recognition lit up her face.

"Hey, yeah, I remember you," she said cheerily. "Good to see you back. Hope we don't need your, uh, 'services' again tonight, am I right?" she said with a sly wink and the motion of nudging him with her elbow, then chuckled as she nodded the side of her head in Erik's direction. "He's back, but I think that little 'lesson' you taught him sunk in pretty good," she added in a quiet voice, turning her back on him and squatting down to rummage through a cabinet near the floor. As she did so, the back of her pants and the tail of her shirt separated enough to reveal the small of her back, as well as the upper band of her all-too-revealing underwear protruding above her belt line, accented by skin and the tops of buttocks that were beginning to lose the battle with time.

"You're lucky I'm such an honest girl," she called back at Tam, her head partially stuck in the cabinet as she searched through it. "And that I'm the one that found her wallet on the bar, not some other sticky-fingered yahoo." She muttered a few curses under her breath as she encountered some difficulties that Tam couldn't see from his vantage point. "Funny you came when you did, though. That other guy your 'buddy' there is talking to was looking for that pretty girl you were with last night, too, I think. Ah, here it is!" Untangling herself from the mess in the cabinet and standing up, she turned and placed a small, palm-sized and very thin wallet (or perhaps what could be construed almost as a coin purse) on the bar in front of the Gartagen. "There you go, hon," the bartender said cheerily, before the man down the bar a ways flagged her down, and she moved on to continue doing her job.

Center of the Bar

The bartender brought the two men each a pint of what appeared to be the same beer Erik was finishing off in his first glass. As they arrived, and Erik avoided eye contact with the leather-skinned woman, he began to answer, but not before his eyes went wide suddenly as he noticed something off and away from Desmond's right shoulder. His neck went taut and his breath caught in his throat for a second before he cleared it, forcing himself to remain calm.

Shifting in his seat, Erik turned slightly away from Desmond and threw back the remainder of his previous glass before hunching over the second, making a poorly-masked effort to conceal his face behind a hand and his bandages from whomever he had just spotted. "One more thing," he muttered quietly. "That Gartagen over there -- don't look, don't look -- he's your girl's goon. He's the one that did this to me when all I did was offer her a drink," he explained, motioning to his broken face. "Let's just act casual-like, knock back these beers, and get outta here. Trust me, that guy's serious business."

Corner Table

After brandishing her weapons in tacit threat at the long-haired man across the way, and while she scrutinized the Gartagen and the Lorath, Amanozako's augmented hearing sensed every word of Desmond's conversation with Erik. It appeared that the bald and bandaged young man knew where to find their target, or so he claimed. Furthermore, whlie the Lorath didn't look familiar, the Neko recalled Danny saying something about finding evidence of a Gartagen crew member or passenger aboard the ship that morning, one who was possibly a former member of the Rapid Reaction Force. And the one standing at the bar was in fact wearing a worn-out looking RRF uniform.

The long-haired man ogling Amanozako, when she looked back at him, didn't seem deterred by the sight of her HHG, if he noticed at all. He continued to lustfully look her over, apparently finding the air of danger that the Neko exuded to be thrilling. Still, however, he stayed where he was, seemingly content to undress her with his eyes without making any obvious effort to approach her, at least not yet.

Nearby, one of the bar staff, a bright blue-eyed brunette young lady, was weaving in and out of tables and chairs throughout the serving floor, going about turning on the various vidscreens that hung overhead. As the waitress turned on the one near Amanozako, the screen flashed to life and its speakers blasted out a newscaster's voice at ear-piercingly high volume. The waitress jumped on reflex, startled by the sudden blast of sound, and in a near panic slapped a few times at the controls on the side of the screen as if she were stomping on an insect that had wandered in uninvited. In seconds the volume was brought back down to a more manageable level, and the embarrassed-looking waitress sheepishly looked over at the Neko. "Sorry!" she whispered in extreme, humble apology, her cheeks flushed bright red as she slunk away.

"...workers discovered the young service technician earlier this afternoon when she failed to respond to a radio call," the newscaster's artificially-enhanced face was saying through the vidscreen. "Twenty-eight-year-old Tamara Gantry, a two year employee of Origin Industries Fleet Yards and mother of two, claims she was accosted by an unknown assailant less than two hours after beginning her shift this morning."

The image shifted to a distressed-looking, light-brown-haired and square-faced young woman in a blue jumpsuit sitting in what appeared to be a hospital examination room. She didn't appear injured, and she was trying valiantly to stay calm, but the look in her eyes gave away that she was rattled. "I was just doing a routine check on one of the conveyor systems," she was saying to an off-camera interviewer. "I, uh, I saw a few people I didn't recognize, didn't have uniforms, moving across the level below me. Corporate brass always says report anything out of the ordinary, and I guess that's what I should've done, you know?" She laughed nervously. "Instead I asked them what they were doing there myself, and the next thing I knew, I'm... I get, uh, yanked up in the air by someone or something behind me. I-I can't remember much after that, just waking up when two of my coworkers hit me with smelling salts, and there I was handcuffed to the railing with a sock in my mouth."

Klimmeck's Hole - Far End of the Bar

Shrie noticed the woman at the corner table. She was armed and it seemed like she was looking around, but that was still a normal thing to do when one was alone in a pub. Still Shrie marked her as possible danger and shuffled after Tam. Shrie remained concealer within her cloak, she just left the cape off to not look too silly. In her mind it was better to hide her body anyway, if nothing else it kept lustful eyes away, especially after people saw her scarred face and lost interest. It hid her weapons well too so that was good.

"Have you got captain's thing?" Shrie asked the gartagen. "Do we have to go back right away? Or maybe... drink?" The lorath had nothink alcoholi to drink in over a month and she felt like a beer or few shots of vodka could not hurt at all.

Tam smiled slightly as he took the small wallet and looked at Shrie, "I have no problem with getting a few drinks, the taste helps to drown out the contents of this phial that I have to take daily." He said in response to her question before he gestured towards the bar tender to get her attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back