• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 5th Fleet [Chapter Eight] Castles and Catgirls

The Kitsune's eyes traveled up and down Tahariel, and for a moment, it seemed a little bit too intimate a glance. Like she was being mentally undressed.

"Well, what'cha gonna do in your group?" the redheaded Kitsune asked. "Are you going to be chucking spells or shooting arrows maybe? You don't look like a front-line warrior type to me though, no offense," she admitted. "If you're strong enough to pull a three sixty pounds or so, you can grab one of the smaller crossbows. They got some goat-feet levers to help, but they have some trouble going through mail and jack." Furrowing her eyebrows in thought for a moment, vulpine tails swaying along, she added. "Etto...they're probably as strong as a short-bow I think? I don't make actual bows though by the way."

They'd need to look elsewhere for bows.

Market

Stepping out into the market grounds was literal breath a fresh air for Werner. He was now surrounded by the common man, woman, and child. The market, was a place where didn't have to mind his manners that much, and it one of the few things of this world he did understand after spending some time walking around. What pleasantly surprised him were the large arrays and displays of weapons that Merchants casually displayed, and seeing this shop with weapons that Werner was already kinda familiar with made his interest spark. Werner always did have this.... interest for weaponry, melee in particular.

Taking a quick gander, Werner leaned towards what the shopkeep indicated was a Dō-maru, and he appreciated the design like a child looking through the glass store front of a candy shop. Though when he noticed the large war club that even a mighty warrior would have trouble using made Werner struggle to contain his excitement, yet his imagination ran wild with the things he could do with it if he only was a bit larger and stronger. What the punctures from the spikes, and the blunt force of the club could do to a man handing from inside a cage. The Iron Maiden Pinata, what a glorious prospect that Werner planned to try out one day. Though what was odd was that a little girl picked it up, it wasn't weird that she was unable to control it, however it was weird the words that she said. It was strangely similar to what he would have heard on his home planet, what he said during the meeting with Consul. Werner gulped, and swiftly moved aside from the Dō-maru, to where the Elvish armor could be more easily accessed.

For the first time in a long while, Werner whispered the native language willingly, "Uh, ah Pardon to interrupt, but if you wouldn't mind, I have already planned out what kind of equipment, and what role I would fulfill for the party. So could I get.. uh.. this and this...?" though, it seemed that no one even heard what he said when Tahariel asked the kitsune a question.

Werner had mellowed out, suspicions always did bother him, and he hated not knowing, that much was true. However, Werner had already earned the ire of the company around him, and so he on his own could not solve the mystery the lingered in his mind. So he distracted himself by looking at the foreign armor. Werner knew the names after some casual talk with the locals, and seeing how the guards were armed, Werner already knew how he was going to be dressed up if he was taking on his previous role as an infantry man. It was disappointing that there were no guns on for sale, of course it was highly unlikely that guns would be present, but still. Werner had always used guns and knives, switching to archaic weapons of war was definitely exciting, yet awkward. Though, there was more disappointment when Werner realized that it maybe a better Idea for him to wear the odd elvish armor instead of the traditional armor imported by the Kitsune.

There was a fair amount of luck on Werner's side though. On the display, he found one thing that resembled guns the most, and it went by the name of a crossbow. If memory served him right, and it always did, then it was a simple weapon that was easy to use even by the weakest of people and the most unsuited for war. Werner ran his fingers across the wood stock, and eventually lifted it up off it's stand and walked towards his memorable assailant. Werner wanted to buy something, she was in the way, and he liked to get into gear when facing the unknown.

"Yeah, Aiko is right, you aren't a front line fighter I can tell you that much." Werner reminisced, presenting a crossbow that Werner believed Tahariel could load and fire. "This is certainly more your style, it's literally made for Plebeians. It's easy to use, you don't need to be strong, and it's really handy to have on hand even you are planning to be soley using... uh... magic, here. Take it, I think it's perfect for you.", he handed the crossbow over, while turning to face the shopkeep.

"I my self, would also like to have a crossbow, however, I'd like one of the more heavier ones. Also, since it looks like i'm going to have to be the soldier here, i'd like to try on that... what was it you said? Lorica... something something, hamata. Some greaves, one of those helmets the imperial soldiers use with the greaves to match, a leather jacket to use as padding, one of those smaller shields too... the Parma isn't it? This sword would also be nice to have as well, I know that this one is called a Spatha. I apologize, it's a lot of stuff to ask for.. but that's the life of being a front line soldier!" Werner snickered.

He took a brief glance and Sif, and wondered if he had noticed too. If anyone had noticed actually, as Werner took an Oath to never speak Yamataigo ever again while he was on this planet.

Market

Having disappeared amongst the stalls for some time with local coinage in hand, intending on 'performing research', Yuukito Ayame finally returned with a wicker basket held under one arm. The mousey minkan was dressed commoner's clothes: Simple, light cloth coloured brown and white, with a bonnet on her head. She had a rather giddy smile on her face, looking quite proud of the basket full of native fruits that she had gathered for the purposes of personal research, as well as for snacking.
"Taha-chan!" she called, grinning as she approached her plebeian friend. "Wanna try some of the local produce? For science?"

Though Aiko initially looked rather eager to help out Werner at first, she couldn't help but let out a mischievous little laugh.

"That's all quite the handful to carry with you all at once," she pointed out. Turning to glance at one of her more powerful crossbows, as well as the Parma type shield in question, it was quite clear why she would think that. "Well, so long as you don't go dropping my work on the ground every time someone closes in on you, I suppose it's fine!" the redheaded Kitsune smiled at him. Rummaging through the inventory she had next to her open air workshop, the woman laid out the chainmail, crossbow, shield and sword for him as well. Neither particularly long or short, the single handed weapon looked to make the perfect sidearm for a traveler. The shield was small enough to be somewhat convenient to walk around with, but once in a tavern, potentially a pain. "Make sure to get a padded jack too by the way, otherwise the chainmail is almost worthless," she added. "I know this great weaver that makes silk ones if you're interested," Aiko mischievously smiled.

It seemed that Foxes and Cats had that in common, that was for certain.

"Pardon me, sorry!" a young man apologized, pushing his way through the market's crowds. Dressed in shining plates of overlapping steel and padded crimson, it was clear he was one of the city's soldiers. Looking over them all, he made for one Vicky Neko in particular. "Ah! Lady Mioshi! Here's what our consul promised - I already got the horses ready too, so I'll show you the way whenever you're all ready." Looking about, he couldn't help but ask, "It looks like you're getting ready for a journey or a fight. Uh, do any of you need help?" Titus sheepishly offered.

"What do you have in your basket?" Sif asked Ayame, the Mini-Neko more interested in what food she had than the young Legionnaire or the weapons being bought.

Mioshi had been keeping her eyes open on the shops as they went through here; they were in the inner district, the upper district, and so they stuck out like a sore thumb. Even she stuck out like a sore thumb, and she had chosen to dress as a nondescript traveler, her stave doubling as a walking staff, and not an uncommon weapon for a road-wanderer in this time period.

The Kitsune surprised her, but Mioshi recognized the general form and format of it; she couldn't recall anything about there being "Kitsune" in Geshrintall's lore, but she supposed that something like what she was looking at might have existed there. After all, the pattern for her own race had certainly come from somewhere, even if she wasn't sure quite from where, so something like that must have existed somewhere in space - even if just in someone's imagination.

She made sure to curl her tail in interest while she looked over the kitsune's goods. She caught glances of her out of the corner of her eye, and examined those glances in retrospect as she browsed. Mioshi thought she was pretty. Mioshi noticed that she knew Sif. Mioshi noticed a lot of things, mostly how she acted and spoke.

The important question was, did she want to continue pretending that she was from the same place that this Kitsune was, while the rest of her companions had apparently chosen their disguises out of a sex catalog for people into leather, chainmail, and colorful hair?

When Coco, the handmaiden of the noble, started speaking in old Yamataian, however, Mioshi's white-furred ears perked up for two reasons; the first reason was because the handmaiden was speaking a language she shouldn't know. The second reason was because Mioshi knew that looking adorable meant, to most people, that she wasn't dangerous, and that when she turned her true-blue eyes onto the little girl after going over to her and stooping a bit for her, she might not seem too odd for asking. Mioshi went for soft, kind, humble. Mioshi liked being pretty and cute from beneath her bangs.

It helped that she was really, genuinely curious, too.

"Wakarimasuka? Sou-desu-ne?"

You understand, then? Is that so?

"Haaaaaaaaai!~" Coco replied to Mioshi, her girlish voice cheerily sing-song as she pretended to crank and fire one of the crossbows at make-believe barbarians on a make-believe wall. "Nani de?" she asked, pausing for a moment to look at the Neko.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!~ Why?

'Be careful with that one,' Sif's voice echoed in the makeshift squad's minds'. Neko or not, they all heard it, and had to be able to for this assignment, otherwise, it was one edge less while on this planet. 'She's dry nursed Adelaide, and is definitely traveled. Buddy-buddy with the Consul, as you saw before the fighting broke out. Also, she taught me basic magic, and is powerful or something. So there's that,' the Mini-Neko's ever-bored voice added. Though she continued to rummage around Ayame's basket with a half-interested look, she well understood that when it came to Coco, they were potentially out of their league. On the other hand, the 'little girl' might as well have had a sign on her back that said 'free magic lessons!' or something.

Yes. Why did Mioshi ask? Coco waited.

Mioshi decided, in the same mental space that she'd heard 'and she taught me basic magic'.

"You seem to know a lot. Do you know any magic?"
she queried in Yamatai-go, and she was pretty sure that she got the archaic bits down right. She put her hands on her knees as she addressed the well-traveled child who had apparently dry nursed someone who, by necessity, had to be double or triple her age. "Or, do you know who has something I could read? I don't really need armor, or weapons."

The moment Mioshi said she wanted to learn, Coco slowed down her playing, just a little bit.

"Oh yeah, totes!" the little girl replied, Adelaide herself looking just a little confused at the unfamiliar word. "I even got some of the other catgirls that were with Sif here started and unlocked their magic for them," she pointed out. Aiko's eyes widened as she looked about and scooted away from her, but she otherwise reassuringly smiled to the others who were with her still shopping. "If you want to be a spellcaster though, you're definitely on the right track. Having lots of armor on makes it harder for the world's mana to flow back into you." Looking at Brynhildr though, she pointed at the Drow looking Neko. "Drow like her even go almost naked and wear naughty stuff so they can keep casting lotsa spells and such," Coco explained. She soon raised up a single finger as though to warn Mioshi though. "Just don't do it in front of the elves though - they'll think you're a dirty girl!"

Sif turned away, fighting back a snicker while Adelaide nervously laughed to herself. Aiko however, pretended she didn't hear that from her. Titus, for his credit though, stood straight and strong like the soldier he was. His faintly pink cheeks betrayed him however.

'If I had to guess, clothing and armor interfere with the flow of nano-machines responsible for 'magic' here,' Sif grinned at them from behind her hand.

Mioshi twitched her ears in feline interest.

Twitch twitch.

"Could you unlock mine?"

This shit was too good to be true. So what if she had to get a little bit more naked than she was to do it. So what if she would end up looking like a sort-of slut. Nanomachine magic? Yes please. This was nerd heaven. She had been assigned to the motherload of nerd-dom. People would not believe this. For this, Mioshi could sacrifice her shame, preferably while surrounded by neat-looking ankhs and weird magical symbols and candles and stuff.

"Do I have to be wearing something specific, or?"

Ayame squeaked as the mini-neko floated up and began rifling through her basket of native fruits, watching with an amused smile. Most of them seem at the very least to be analogous to terrestrial fruits in terms of taste, appearance and texture. "J-just don't take too many!" Yuukito blurted nervously. "These are for important scientific research!" The scientist gave Tahariel a little smile and a wink, suggesting that science was only partially the reason.

As Mioshi entered a perilous battle of wits against the unsuspecting Coco, Sif rummaged.

"You know, you keep using that word here," the MIni-Neko pointed out, a hint of annoyance in her otherwise flat and disinterested voice. Though the apples and pears and so-on were tempting, the seven inch tall little woman simply couldn't find something that would suit her tastes. Then again, when it came to fruits, so few of them ever did appeal to her. They did bring back memories though. "Hm. Maybe I'll smell like fruit if I'm among them long enough," she mused. Thinking about it a little longer, that was a good way to get eaten in this world, wasn't it?

She sighed.

"If you pick one, let me have a slice."

Tahariel's face was a constant blush as the Kitsune's pretty eyes violated her. She recognized the glance as many a Patrician had given her the same before... but that was practically a lifetime ago now. Although Werner's intrusion was unwanted, he did seem know what he was talking about... finally.

Learning magic would probably be a bit more useful, but what kind of magic should she learn? "I.. uh..." Her flustered response was interrupted by Yuukito's arrival.

"Oh, Yuu-chan! Thank yo-uuuuuu!!" Werner had just dropped the crossbow into her unprepared hands, and the sudden added weight caused the Elysian to teeter precariously in the background while everyone was engaged in conversation before ultimately toppling over.

Luckily, she managed to keep the crossbow off the ground, but landing on her small chest had knocked the wind out of her with her pants-covered butt in the air. "Owie..." Today was just not her day, it seemed.

Carefully picking herself with an embarrassed frown on her small face, Tahariel began to think that maybe magic was a better idea after all as she set the crossbow onto the nearby table with a sigh of relief. Her ash blonde hair was a mess now, and her white eyes were watering slightly as she caught her breath.

MEETING ROOM
She observed silently, giving the Consul a slight nod before following her co-workers out the door.

MARKET
She completed ignored the others while in the store, instead walking around, touching and looking at the many weapons. Swords, daggers, shields and more. Even when the little girl spoke her tongue, she did not take notice, instead picking up a dagger and chucked the floor. Then she picked it up, and put the now dirt-covered dagger back on the rack as she decided it was not for her. This continued for a few minutes before she found a pair of elegantly carved daggers. Both came with holders too. She picked them up, hooking them onto her belt. "I will take these....the little one will pay for them." She said, turning around and walking towards the Kitsune. "I want a bow and arrows." She said simply, waiting for the woman to get her them. Then she thought about how she talked...was she being to mean for a Drow? Was she not mean enough?

"Well ii'' be wearing most of the gear all of the time, so don't worry about me dropping everything." Werner retorted

"Anyway, if it's true that without the leather jacket, the chain mail would be useless, then I'll take the jacket as well. As for the silk though... eh you tempt me, but I don't... you know what? Screw it, can you tell me about this weaver then? I might stop by to observe their stock, and buy some robes for when I am not wearing armor get comfy and everything."

"Haaaaaaaaai!~" it was the voice of a little girl, it was Coco...

Werner turned, to a strange sight that boiled his blood, a conversation in Yamataigo.

"Fucking Hypocritical..." Werner muttered under his breath.

The sight of two people speaking Yamataigo was enough to anger him because it seemed that NO ONE CARED about THEM speaking it. Though now his suspicion was confirmed, the girl could speak the squad's native language. How or why is another story Werner would like to get to the bottom to, but Sif relayed in his mind that this girl was strong, and knowledge in magic. Werner wasn't sure if this was possible, but could it be that Coco had to knowledge to intercept the silent messages the squad sent each other? Was there magic for that? He had to try that later, when it was safer, when he had his gear on and when he physically spoke to people. He did not want coco to intercept his telepathic messages if she had the knowledge about them. So for now, even telepathically, Werner would keep silent.

Then, the sound of a sudden CRASH, and Werner diverted his attention to a girl holding a basket of fruits and the Plebian who had fallen.

"Yep yep, it's totally magic with you, no doubt about it." Werner sighed

Was there anyone else that could join him in combat? He thought.

He liked fighting, but not fighting melee while everyone else stayed back to shoot. Yet it seemed like a lot of people here were helpless, much to his dismay.

"You okay? That was one of the lighter crossbows, how were you not able to carry that? When was the last time you've eaten? Look like a literal stick, you need food to get strong!" He sounded like a parent, or to be more exact, his annoying sister. Good gravy, WHAT HAS WERNER BECOME?!

He shook his head to get rid of the thought and wound up staring at the berries that the girl held. For some reason, they didn't look like they could be trusted, the berries that is. His stomach growled at that observation. When was the last time that HE ate? It was a good question that Werner had forgotten the answer to, he reached out with one hand to grab a clutch of berries, these would have to do for now. Werner had already decided that eating something now was worth the risk of food poisoning later. "For science then.." he spoke trying to contain his saliva.

"Now that I think about, after we get all of out equipment sorted out... should we all go eat something and talk about what our plan of attack is? i'm pretty sure we still need to figure out what we are going to do. If you're all done that is."

As the moeblob of an Elysian made a mess of herself, Sif was less than pleased judging by the expression she had.

" - chan?" the Kitsune's eyes fluttered in surprise. Already paying too much attention to the bird-pleb, it was a 'no duh' that she'd notice, much to the Mini-Neko's chagrin. Thinking about it, why should anyone other than the girls with cat ears - and apparently Coco - say anything related to Yamataigo or its predecessors? Scrubs, the lot of them. They just didn't think, and it was infuriating trying to get them to. "Oh, I'm glad you found something you liked," Aiko replied with a smile, her tails waving back and forward happily. "Just put them on the table there for now, and once everyone's gotten what they wanted, I'll add up the price. "I don't sell any bows and arrows though, so perhaps a light crossbow and bolts will do?" Turning to grab those, she mouthed to herself, " - chan?" The Kitsune was thinking more than she should have about this.

As Sif's bored-angry green eyes watched, Coco stole the show for the moment, much to her relief.

"Yeah, I can totally get started, and you don't even need to dress up special!" the little girl excitedly began, bouncing up and down. However, just as it looked like all of the Vicky Neko's dreams were going to come true, Coco paused, pointing a finger at Titus. " 'Cept, most regular people like him don't like magic, so we should do it somewhere else." As though to emphasize the point, the young legionnaire did look extremely uncomfortable. Swept up in her own internal fangirling, Mioshi had completely forgotten about him, and he was still holding the sack of gold. "They think it's scary, and since you're really pretty like the Drow are, they'll call you a 'sloot' right behind your back like Faustus does, even though he's being a big fat hyp- hypo- meanie and knows magic too."

"I should go," Titus replied, trying to quickly hand the big sack of gold to anyone that would take it. Adelaide however, looked honestly torn between staying and going, to her credit. She was, after all, some sort of healer or cleric.

"We still don't have all our equipment sorted out," Sif replied to Werner, abandoning Mioshi to her own little problems for the moment. 'And if I hear anyone say another Yamataigo-ism without looking like a Neko, I'll let Coco have her way with them,' she spoke in their heads. "And I don't think our blacksmith has any bows or arrows - she's a blacksmith. Who smiths." Hopping about, her face ever stoic, she landed in front of Aiko. "I need a sword as long as it can be without being unwieldy when walking around, and with a grip that's either one or two handed. A focus on stabbing, but still able to stab. Can you deliver?" Though a little surprised at the request, the smithy wasn't one to pass up on making money.

"Hai, hai," she breezily replied with a smile. "I'll have it be a Gothic design and can have it to you in the hour given its size." Turning her own eyes on the rest of the group though, she pondered, "Would anyone else like some protection?" she asked all too deliberately.

It seemed to be a thing, even here apparently.

"Get your bows, arrows, quivers and bracers! Anything and everything related to the archer's art!" a burly, bearded man seemed to shout right at them all too deliberately. Aiko shot him a foul look that said 'Stop stealing my customers!' - they had definitely been through this whole routine before.

Last edited:
"Oh no!" Yuukito gasped as she watched her friend topple backwards with a crossbow on her chest, biting her lip as she dashed over to help Tahariel back to her feet. "Are you alright?" The scientist began to peel a citrus-like fruit once her friend was back on her feet, offering half of it to her with a smile, then taking a piece of it and offering it to Sif with a rather stiff smile and a bright blush; having heard the subtle threat.

Of course! Mioshi had forgotten.

She straightened up with all the grace of a Yamataian kabuki actor, swept over to the awkward man-boy, and accepted with little effort the bag of gold and the horses. The bag of gold went onto her belt, though she tied it quite pointedly near the back where she could feel it and where the cloak would naturally prevent anyone from sneaking their hand in. Thieves around the realms (ehehe, 'realms') would go mad for such a mark otherwise. Here, at least they'd warn her by having to feel her ass.

She knew these things; she had, after all, been pickpocketing around earlier to pay the bills. A nekovalkyrja's dexterity lent itself to a surprisingly easy life in fantasy-world. Come to think of it, she had a little money to spend in addition to this giant-feeling wad of pocket change she had just been given, and she wanted to go back to leisurely testing out the local food. And she would need new clothing. Pretty new clothing. If she was going to be a slut, she would be a pretty slut.

"You should stick around with the horses," she told Titus, "I do not know how to take care of them very well and your master did not tell us which direction our quarry fled."

This was a job. It took a lot to do it, with the prospect of magic being taught not two or three feet away. So what if people were going to sneer and make fun of her? She could work with that if she could throw fireballs! Or she could fly! Well, she could fly anyway, Mioshi knew, but she could fly and blame it on magic.

Coco had become the center of her immediate world, and this boy Titus was curious, but mundane and non-magical. Still. Job. Focus. She wormed her tail around in a way she knew caught attention. "I thought maybe someone would have noticed her leaving?"

What a relief.

"Well, of course. I'll hold the horses as you wish. As for your compatriot, quite a few guards spotted her fleeing on the road leading to the south-west, towards the Oricinian Mountains. Troublesome place with all those Orcs," Titus replied, glad that they were talking about something else other than the double bladed edge that was magic. As a humble son and protector of the remnant empire, it was right and proper for him to stay out of things beyond his salary. Orcs however, he could contend with easily. Still, the young man couldn't help but watch as the miniature woman reached up both arms to the heavens, and held the offered slice of orange like a champion upholding the world. As Sif promptly put down the slice to peel back the translucent membrane, she grabbed one of the little citrus-bits and began eating.

"See? I told you so! South-west it was!" Coco smiled at the Mini-Neko. Giving her a wry smile, Sif tossed one of the amber granules at the little girl, who promptly leaped into action, mouth open. "Nom!" It was then that one of the horses promptly did what horses did, and made a hot, steaming mess. However, just as quickly, something darted out of hiding. Wearing a brown working tunic over its slate grey scales, the three foot tall reptilian rushed out and quickly scooped up the lot with a pan, while another quickly wiped down the marble. All before vanishing again.

The spot was sparkling clean.

Tahariel wanted to complain that Werner should've warned her better about giving her the crossbow, but all that came out was, "I.. uh, yea..." It wasn't her fault that she was this way! Her body had actually gained a lot of weight since joining the Star Army, so what was he complaining about? Her face was rather pouty, but it smoothed out almost immediately as Yuukito offered her the other half of her citrus fruit. "Ah.. Th-thank you Yuu-ch..." she stopped herself in time before she almost suffered Sif's wrath. "I-I mean... You know what I mean."

Her sheepish smile probably told Yuukito everything that needed to be said. The ash blonde Elysian had heard the subtle telepathic threat, after all, but being a natural Plebeian without a digital mind meant that she could not reply or telepathically talk to her dear Minkan friend... Well, mostly her only friend, but that was beside the point. Taking apart the fruit carefully, Taha nibbled on it while trying to decide what she wanted to buy.

Did she really want to learn magic? If it meant that she would have to dress scantily, then maybe not... Her pale face reddened a bit more at the mere thought. What would her mother think if she saw her only daughter traipsing around in barely any clothing?!? It's not like she had much to show off anyways... Perhaps a bow would be her forte? Looking at the way the pretty Kitsune was practically hissing at the other merchant made her a bit worried about asking him for assistance, though.

Tomiko was practically glowing with happiness. She was going to get new clothes. With that much gold, she might even be able to buy some fancy jewelry. She imagined herself wearing a gold necklace with emeralds, rubies, and diamonds. Maybe wearing a beautiful green dress that was classy while showing off her body. Her eyes shined with anticipation.

As she stepped into the shop she gasped. Kitsune! She thought. Her cheeks turned bright red. The stunned Neko tried to focus on looking for weapons, but her eyes kept wandering back to the fox girl. She couldn't contain herself anymore. Tomiko raced over to the redheaded kitsune.

"H-hello. I'm Tomiko. You are so beautiful!" She said shyly to Aiko. A stupid grin was on her face. It was fairly obvious that this girl was attracted to the kitsune. "W-would you... help me with my equipment? I would be best suited as a healer.. Maybe you could tell me what sort of outfit you think would look good on me?" She asked innocently, not able to look the kitsune in the eye for very long.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back