• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Closed Civilian Occupations List

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion comes from @KoreHytaria - She said we have a Star Army occupations list, but no civilian one. We should make a decent list of civilian occupations.
  • Ship designers
  • Reporters
  • Civilian governors
  • Business person
  • etc

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As long as everyone sticks to occupations that they would actually role play out or that could fit a sarp rp setting we should be ok.

Private security
Cleaning crew
Construction workers/ managers
Radio/ news broadcasters
College professors/teachers
Dean/principal
Server/bartender

I think that if possible, the list of occupations should be based on what characters list as their occupation rather then having a static list. Might need to play with struct though. I can see the Sql query I'd likely use but I don't know if it has an equivalent in struct.

What if we simplify it and make a struct occupation for civilian? We can we can have the occupation and employment on the table. You have to keep in mind that reserves the people can take on civilian jobs and live civilian lives so long as they attend their monthly obligation. I also think condensing the occupations allowing for similar occupations like janitor to include ship building and public cleaners. Food service would include waiters and bartenders. Journalism could include journalists, anchorman, cameramen and so on. @Soban @Wes

There's so many civilian occupations that I think the currently setup, in which the struct occupation field is a general text field and people can type what they want in it, already works great. It's not so much about the names of the fields but having articles for whatever civilian fields people are wanting to play on a regular basis. I think civilian journalist is a good example. But maybe a cabinet maker is a bad example because no one has ever played one or expressed interest in playing one. There is not super high interest in playing civilian characters compared to, say, Star Army characters or NDC military characters, so we can probably get by with covering a few basic civilian roles like:
  • Politicians (senators, local leaders, candidates, etc)
  • Entertainers (media personalities, musicians, bartenders, exotic dancers, sex workers, and anyone fun who military characters hope to interact with on shore leave)
  • Corporate workers/Designers (characters used to make/sell products or services)
  • Space Rogues (think Sienna or Han from that other sci-fi franchise involving wars amongst the stars)

Closed due to lack of support.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back